April 19, 2024, 12:42:20 PM

Author Topic: Jones - I'm nothing without the team  (Read 1371 times)

Offline Cartman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Jones - I'm nothing without the team
« on: April 08, 2008, 10:29:31 AM »

Jones: I’m nothing without the team

Apr 8 2008 by Luke Edwards, The Journal
Kenwyne Jones

KENWYNE Jones may have emerged as Sunderland’s star player this season but the striker refuses to accept any individual plaudits as he argued he would have been nothing without those around him.

Jones is an instantly likeable character on and off the pitch and, although he has won a series of rave reviews for his performances up front, including a glowing endorsement from former England captain John Terry, the Trinidad and Tobago international appears uncomfortable with all the praise.

Indeed, a player who has been described as among the best in the Premier League by his manager Roy Keane, is determined to ensure the focus shifts from him to his team-mates following the 3-1 win at Fulham which has virtually guaranteed them Premier League safety this season.

“I think the team is performing extremely well at the moment, that’s three wins in a row and I think the win at Fulham was a big leap towards us staying in the Premiership,” said Jones, who scored his seventh goal for the Black Cats in the impressive win at Craven Cottage.

“We have always kept confident this season, even when there have been times when we have not been on a good run. We are very much a team and everyone has had a part to play in where we are today. I think that is one of the most enjoyable things about being part of what is happening at Sunderland.

“I’ve had a few plaudits this season and I’m fortunate enough that things have been going well for me on a personal level, but it doesn’t really mean anything if you are not doing well as a team. If I’ve been doing well it is because of the team, and I do well to try and help the team. It’s all about Sunderland Football Club and what we achieve from now on that matters.”

Jones’s strength and pace, as well as his aerial ability, led some pundits to suggest at the weekend that the former Southampton striker reminded them of a young Didier Drogba. It was a comparison Jones sidestepped neatly.

He said: “I’ve never tried to be like a (Didier) Drogba or a (Thierry) Henry. Everyone is blessed with different talents. I’ve always tried to be like

myself, not anyone else, and see what that brings. Drogba could have been at Sunderland and not been the player he is today. It’s all about how you adapt to the situation you are in. I haven’t got any idols, it would have to be my family who have helped me get where I am.”

At 23, Jones is also confident that he will continue to improve as a Premier League striker, particularly as Keane will never allow him to stop learning. Having spotted the striker’s untapped potential when he was in the Championship with Southampton, Keane appears to be determined to ensure a naturally laid-back character does not slip into bad habits. It is a trait Jones believes will ensure his manager becomes one the game’s greats.

He added: “He doesn’t let anyone rest on their laurels and that’s a good thing, of course it is. We are not in a position where we want to be slacking off and giving away games.

“He didn’t end up being the player he was without a lot of hard work and dedication and he expects that from his players now that he is a manager. He works hard at being a manager and I think he will get better.

“He is still improving in every way and he tells us as players that you learn something new every day, I think he says the same as a manager. For him to become that great, great manager is going to take time, but he has done a good job at Sunderland so far.

“I don’t think I’ve changed my style at Sunderland. I’ve always been a direct player, but I’m always learning. The great thing is being in a team which has confidence in you and a manager who has confidence in you. Every day is a learning process and I’m glad I’m taking it on board.”
Roy Keane's Red & White Army

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jones - I'm nothing without the team
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 12:51:32 PM »
He too laid-back, he need to be more uptight and excitable.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 01:50:26 PM »
He too laid-back, he need to be more uptight and excitable.

leh we see who bitin  :devil:
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 02:22:51 PM »
He another lazy one
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 03:41:03 PM »
He to laid back , so dey say .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 03:43:36 PM »
He Trini ent so laid back in he DNA
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 03:46:41 PM »
IF he so laid back, let them sell him to Ma Pau.

1]; } ?>