April 25, 2024, 02:18:39 PM

Author Topic: Digicel Kickstart Academy Thread.  (Read 21060 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Digicel Kick start Clinics Footballers enjoy day one of training
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2010, 03:43:10 PM »
DIGICEL KICK START CLINICS FOOTBALLERS ENJOY VIP TREATMENT AT SUNDERLAND AFC’S
SECOND ROUND CARLING CUP MATCH IN THE STADIUM OF LIGHT

Wednesday, August 25th 2010 – Sunderland, England: Eight young footballers from the Caribbean and Central America – who were selected by England and Liverpool football legend, John Barnes, from the Digicel Kick Start Clinics 2010 – last night got the chance to watch Sunderland AFC beat Colchester 2-0 in the second round of the Carling Cup at Sunderland’s Academy of Light.

The aspiring young footballers – who will spend one week working with some of the best coaches in the Barclay’s Premier League at Sunderland AFC’s Academy of Light – took their place in the ‘Black Cats’ seats last night – an area reserved for VIPs and die-hard fans.

The boys – who arrived in Sunderland on Saturday – completed their third day of training today which kicked off with some passing and dribbling with members of the Academy’s under 16 team. The group also got the chance to discuss the qualities the Academy looks for in its players such as teamwork, attitude and determination.

Digicel Group Head of Sponsorship, Karl Donnelly, said; “This is the third day of training and I am very excited about what I have seen. There is real talent among the group and the coaching sessions are definitely helping to improve the boys’ skills.

“The boys are also spending time with the under 16 Academy players which will help them gain an understanding of the other qualities that are required to make it at a professional level in football. Having the talent is necessary, but so too are teamwork, discipline and hard work – and it’s great that the boys are seeing this first hand.”

Today the boys took a tour of the Stadium of Light’s world class amenities – including the first team’s dressing rooms, the hospitality area, the gym, the treatment rooms and hydro-therapy pool area, as well as the pitch itself which is one of the best in England. A delegation from FIFA was also at the Stadium this morning evaluating England's bid for the 2018 World Cup so the Digicel Kick Start Clinics winners are in good company. 

Winner of the Honduras leg of the Digicel Kick Start Clinics, 15 year-old Julio Oliva, said; “We have been very lucky so far in that we have had some great training sessions with the coaches which are helping us to improve our game. Last night was an amazing experience – to watch a premiership team play on their home ground was something I’ve always dreamt of.

“Meeting with the under 16 Academy players was also great. We got to speak about their training schedule, what the coaches are looking for and what it takes to play at a professional level,” he continued.

Matthew Woo Ling from Trinidad & Tobago; Vidal Gonzalez and Fernando Meneses from Panama; Jose Villavicencio, Bryan Landaverde and Alvaro Lizama from El Salvador; and Julio Oliva and German Mejia from Honduras were the eight most talented footballers selected by John Barnes from the Digicel Kick Start Clinics.

The Digicel Kick Start Clinics are supported by Jack Warner, Vice President of FIFA and President of both CONCACAF and the Caribbean Football Union.

The Clinics – which kicked off on July 20th in Trinidad & Tobago, before moving on to Panama, El Salvador and Honduras – saw 150 talented young footballers receive expert coaching in the beautiful game.

Digicel has been involved in a wide range of football initiatives designed to support the development of football in the Caribbean and Central America over the last six years. Digicel, which has operations in 32 countries worldwide, sponsors 17 Football Federations and Leagues, as well as the Digicel Caribbean Cup and the Copa de Naciones Digicel in Central America.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Digicel Kick Start Clinics Thread.
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2012, 02:55:02 AM »
Digicel partners with Chelsea for 2012 Kick Start clinic.
By: Shaun Fuentes.

Digicel has launched the 2012 Digicel Kick Start Clinics in Miami, in partnership with European and FA Cup Champions, Chelsea Football Club. At the launch, Chelsea first-team players Yossi Benayoun and Michael Essien took part in the coaching clinic with 30 young players from the Caribbean and Central American Diaspora communities of South Florida.

Fernando Torres, Petr Cech, John Terry and Frank Lampard, among other Chelsea first team players were also in Miami for the World Football challenge match against AC Milan.

The Digicel Kick Start Clinics—which are now in their fifth year—will see thousands of aspiring young footballers from across the eight countries in the Caribbean including T&T, Central America and US try out for their chance to travel to the Digicel Academy where they will be trained by Chelsea FC Foundation coaches.

Following the launch of the first clinic, where over 30 boys between the ages of 14 and 16 were trained by Foundation coaches and Chelsea club ambassador, Graeme Le Saux, the Clinics will move on to Panama where Digicel Kick Start head coach John Barnes will train over 30 boys from across the country.

The Clinics project will then be extended to Haiti, Suriname, Grenada, T&T, St Lucia, St Kitts and Nevis and Jamaica. The top four most talented footballers from each country will be chosen to travel to the Digicel Academy, which takes place in Barbados in October.

Le Saux added: “Growing up on an island, there were barriers that I had to finding a pathway to succeed and it is the same for anyone who wants to do something off-island. There has to be a connection between you and where you want to get to and if that is not made, most people give up.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Digicel Kick Start Clinics Thread.
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2012, 04:43:14 AM »
Barnes picks T&T trio for Digicel Academy.
T&T Guardian Reports.

The local trio of Taryk Sampson, Yafeu Rougier and Anthony Samuel was chosen by former England international and Liverpool legend John Barnes to join their Concacaf peers at a week-long Digicel Academy in October.

Despite bad weather, the sixth leg of this year’s Digicel Kick Start Clinics programme went ahead at the St Joseph Convent Ground, Federation Park, St Clair on Saturday and Sunday in  what was described by Barnes, as “a display of some of the best talent to date.”

The  trio will join their peers from across eight other countries at the camp in Barbados, where they will be put  through their paces by coaches from European Champions League winners’ Chelsea FC in Barbados and experience life as a professional footballer.

Rougier, the nephew of former Soca Warriors captain, Anthony Rougier, spoke about how it felt to be chosen. He said: “I am very excited and I am very much looking forward to meeting new people and learning from the Chelsea coaches—as well as to traveling to Barbados for the first time.

I have been playing football for the past eight years, and I play for W Connection in the Youth T&T Pro League in which I was last year’s top scorer.

“The Digicel Clinic with Barnes was a great experience as his first-hand coaching provided me with useful information, explanations and tips on how to better my game. I am looking forward to Barbados as I expect to get even more useful tips on mastering my play.”

Barnes said he was  impressed with this year’s display of talent. “I was really surprised. In fact—it’s been the best so far of this year’s programme.

To be clear, the quality is always high here, but this year I found the quantity of excellent players has increased and I could easily have chosen 12 or 13 boys—which is fantastic and speaks to the ongoing development of football in the country.

I was so impressed that I have recommended a number of names to a US scout working here on the ground as potential drafts to soccer scholarships.”

The clinics continue through to St Lucia, St Kitts/Nevis before coming to a finish this weekend in Jamaica as Barnes searches for the region’s top footballing talent.

(From left to right) Digicel T&T CEO, John Delves, with the winners of the Trinidad leg of the Digicel Kick Start Clinics, Taryk Sampson, Yafeu Rougier, Anthony Samuel and Kick Start head coach, John Barnes.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2012, 04:55:05 AM »
T&T Guardian Reports.

The local trio of Taryk Sampson, Yafeu Rougier and Anthony Samuel was chosen by former England international and Liverpool legend John Barnes to join their Concacaf peers at a week-long Digicel Academy in October.

Despite bad weather, the sixth leg of this year’s Digicel Kick Start Clinics programme went ahead at the St Joseph Convent Ground, Federation Park, St Clair on Saturday and Sunday in  what was described by Barnes, as “a display of some of the best talent to date.”

The  trio will join their peers from across eight other countries at the camp in Barbados, where they will be put  through their paces by coaches from European Champions League winners’ Chelsea FC in Barbados and experience life as a professional footballer.

Rougier, the nephew of former Soca Warriors captain, Anthony Rougier, spoke about how it felt to be chosen. He said: “I am very excited and I am very much looking forward to meeting new people and learning from the Chelsea coaches—as well as to traveling to Barbados for the first time.

I have been playing football for the past eight years, and I play for W Connection in the Youth T&T Pro League in which I was last year’s top scorer.

“The Digicel Clinic with Barnes was a great experience as his first-hand coaching provided me with useful information, explanations and tips on how to better my game. I am looking forward to Barbados as I expect to get even more useful tips on mastering my play.”

Barnes said he was  impressed with this year’s display of talent. “I was really surprised. In fact—it’s been the best so far of this year’s programme.

To be clear, the quality is always high here, but this year I found the quantity of excellent players has increased and I could easily have chosen 12 or 13 boys—which is fantastic and speaks to the ongoing development of football in the country.

I was so impressed that I have recommended a number of names to a US scout working here on the ground as potential drafts to soccer scholarships.”

The clinics continue through to St Lucia, St Kitts/Nevis before coming to a finish this weekend in Jamaica as Barnes searches for the region’s top footballing talent.

(From left to right) Digicel T&T CEO, John Delves, with the winners of the Trinidad leg of the Digicel Kick Start Clinics, Taryk Sampson, Yafeu Rougier, Anthony Samuel and Kick Start head coach, John Barnes.

Its a great achievement by the lads, but I have to say that I'm even more impressed by the information that the DigicelTT CEO is so young. Looking at the photo, he must be no more than 17  :rotfl:

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2012, 05:10:17 AM »
You can surely count on the T&T press to make at least a few mistakes per-article.   ;D

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2012, 05:21:43 AM »
You can surely count on the T&T press to make at least a few mistakes per-article.   ;D

:beermug:

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2012, 06:16:32 AM »
Yafeu Rougier  not even on the under 17 team none of them are as a matter of fact ...  ??? ??? ??? sure these are the best players ....
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2012, 09:15:22 AM »
Who promoted this ??
When did it take place ??
Who was invited to try out ??

When these questions are answered then and only then can football start to make any kind of progress in TnT.

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2012, 09:22:56 AM »
Digicel partners with Chelsea for 2012 Kick Start clinic.
By: Shaun Fuentes.

The Clinics project will then be extended to Haiti, Suriname, Grenada, T&T, St Lucia, St Kitts and Nevis and Jamaica. The top four most talented footballers from each country will be chosen to travel to the Digicel Academy, which takes place in Barbados in October.

T&T Guardian Reports.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2012, 11:44:10 AM »
Yafeu Rougier  not even on the under 17 team none of them are as a matter of fact ...  ??? ??? ??? sure these are the best players ....

samuel played in the u-14 league, the other two were in u-16. surprising omissions from the national squads seeing as the youth was top scorer in the same league where the bulk of the NT was selected. and especially since cooper said he had problems finding goal scorers. same situation happened previously with woo ling...chosen for digicel but not chosen for the NT.

maybe he still too green or omitted himself from selection. cooper is a serious coach, but its t&t football, so who knows
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2012, 04:43:01 AM »
Digicel clinic starts in Barbados.
T&T Guardian Reports.

The much-anticipated Digicel Football Academy kicked off on Monday at the Kensington Oval, Bridgetown, Barbados, with a press conference to mark the official launch of the training camp where 32 aspiring young footballers will be trained by coaches from European and English FA Cup champions, Chelsea.

The Digicel Academy marks the culmination of the 2012 Digicel Kick Start Clinics and sees the crème de la crème of the region’s young footballing talent come together for the opportunity of a lifetime by spending one week being trained in the beautiful game under Chelsea coaches, David Monk, Robert Udberg and Olly Woodall. In addition, the Chelsea coaches will host a ‘coach the coaches’ session in which they will impart invaluable youth training tips to nine coaches from across the region.

For the 32 aspiring young footballers, which includes T&T trio Taryk Sampson, Yafeu Rougier and Anthony Samuel, the Digicel Academy is a dream come true following months of local try-outs followed by the Digicel Kick Start Clinics under the leadership of Liverpool and England footballing legend, John Barnes.

Chelsea International Football Development Officer and Academy Coach, David Monk, said; “For Chelsea, this is the first in our three year partnership with Digicel and we are very excited to be here. To the 32 boys from across the region, it’s a truly fantastic opportunity and, on behalf of my colleagues and I, we would like to wish you all the very best of luck this week.  “I encourage you all to listen, learn and enjoy your time at the Digicel Academy.”

Special guest at the press conference was President of the Caribbean Football Union, Gordon Derrick.

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2012, 10:16:09 AM »
Am  I the only one that see these clinic as a waste of time they get these youngsters hopes up by taking them to these clubs with no reward in return did any player from these so called academy get a professional contract.   
Empty barrels make the most noise

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2012, 03:50:05 PM »
Am  I the only one that see these clinic as a waste of time they get these youngsters hopes up by taking them to these clubs with no reward in return did any player from these so called academy get a professional contract.   

It most certainly isn't a waste of time, and I frown on your negative comments!!! The Digicel Kick Start Clinic is a superb marketing tool for Digicel, John Barnes and Chelsea Football Club. Definitely, marketing money well spent.  :devil:

Of course, it breaks the heart of every kid who attends the "final" and doesn't win and gives false hope to the boys that win it.

It is what it is ...a marketing tool, just like most of the franchised soccer schools around the world. I'm not saying that some talented youths aren't discovered now and again, but mostly this is about making money.

However, with the limited options available in the Caribbean, it gives kids a taste of proper football coaching and I'm sure they will pick up useful tips and skills. It's also useful to have on ones resume. I hope that Chelsea and/or John Barnes keep tabs on these kids, but I doubt it. None of them could sign for Chelsea (unless they have EU passports). I would prefer the money spent on a true academy where kids can spend 2 years preparing for the European game or even MLS. But that would not have the same marketing appeal.

Fair play to Digicel, they're at least providing glamour and excitement, but the parents need to be made aware that they need to manage expectations.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2012, 04:36:28 PM »

It most certainly isn't a waste of time, and I frown on your negative comments!!! The Digicel Kick Start Clinic is a superb marketing tool for Digicel, John Barnes and Chelsea Football Club. Definitely, marketing money well spent.  :devil:

Of course, it breaks the heart of every kid who attends the "final" and doesn't win and gives false hope to the boys that win it.

It is what it is ...a marketing tool, just like most of the franchised soccer schools around the world. I'm not saying that some talented youths aren't discovered now and again, but mostly this is about making money.

However, with the limited options available in the Caribbean, it gives kids a taste of proper football coaching and I'm sure they will pick up useful tips and skills. It's also useful to have on ones resume. I hope that Chelsea and/or John Barnes keep tabs on these kids, but I doubt it. None of them could sign for Chelsea (unless they have EU passports). I would prefer the money spent on a true academy where kids can spend 2 years preparing for the European game or even MLS. But that would not have the same marketing appeal.

Fair play to Digicel, they're at least providing glamour and excitement, but the parents need to be made aware that they need to manage expectations.

It does serve another purpose. It exposes talented T&T youth to their CONCACAF peers. Might be important for addressing the 'big fish in a small pond' syndrome exhibited by some of our players. Nothing like a little competition to curtail starboyitis
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2012, 10:10:55 PM »

It does serve another purpose. It exposes talented T&T youth to their CONCACAF peers. Might be important for addressing the 'big fish in a small pond' syndrome exhibited by some of our players. Nothing like a little competition to curtail starboyitis

True, But do they really think they're the best in the Caribbean? But I suppose they may realise that there are talented kids out there from even the smallest islands.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Rougier enjoying Digicel stint.
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2012, 04:12:03 AM »
Rougier enjoying Digicel stint.
T&T Newsday Reports.

TRINIDAD and Tobago’s Yafeu Rougier is enjoying his time at the 2012 Digicel Academy currently underway in Barbados with coaches from European Champions League champion, Chelsea FC, conducting training sessions with the participants.

Rougier, who was part of the Academy last year, says he is learning a lot and will be sharing all that he has learnt with his team-mates once he returns to Trinidad.

The 2012 Digicel Academy marks the first of a three-year partnership with Chelsea FC. Three International Development Coaches, David Monk, Robert Udberg and Olly Woodall, have brought their technical skills and talents to Barbados where boys from the Caribbean, Central America and the diaspora participate in the Digicel Academy – showing their skill, while, at the same time, having fun and making new friends.

The 16-year-old TT player explained that the training sessions are more intense the second time around because his own expectations are greater.

Since his last time at the Academy, Yafeu says he has made great strides towards improving his game by using the techniques and tips he gained last year and being at this year’s Academy, his goal is no different.

He explains; “Being at the Academy last year was so good because I was able to learn new techniques and improve my game. When I was selected again for this year’s Digicel Academy, I had no doubt that I would get the same high level of training and guidance.

“I plan to share what I have learned from the Academy with my team-mates back home in Trinidad and Tobago. For those footballers who want to have a successful football career, my advice for them is to work hard and when you are given an opportunity such as attending the Digicel Academy – you should grasp it with both hands and make the best of it.”

Meanwhile, Sorencio Juliaans of Suriname believes the Academy gives him a chance to learn the rudiments of the game and believes working hard will reap success.

“Applying the strategies I’m learning to move the team forward is just as important as individual success. I play for a first division football team back home in Suriname and being here at the Academy is a great experience for me because I am getting training from some of the best coaches in the world. I like the way the coaches from Chelsea FC give detailed advice during the sessions and guide me through every play and technique.”

He continues; “The most important thing I have learned from the Chelsea coaches is that, to be the best footballer, you have to work hard and not give up. You have to love playing football and that passion will motivate you to continue to work on your game even after the Academy is over. They also encourage you to never forget that getting an education is just as important in football as learning how to pass the ball, so I try to give my best both on and off the field.”

Chelsea International Football Development Officer and Academy Coach, David Monk, gave his thoughts on how important it is for players to continue training and developing their game even after they leave the Academy.

The Digicel Academy is a week-long elite training camp which takes place in Barbados from October 29 - November 3.

Since 2004, Digicel have been involved in a wide range of football initiatives designed to support the development of football in the Caribbean and Central America.

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Chelsea FC coaches name 3 for Digicel Academy
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2013, 01:36:22 PM »
Kori Cupid, 15, Sebastian Camacho, 16, and 14-year-old Travell Edwards were chosen from 31 participants of the local leg of the Digicel Kick Start Clinic at the Digicel Box at the Queen’s Park Oval, St Clair, on Monday.
The selections were made after an intense session with the Chelsea coaches at the King George V Park earlier that day.
Making the announcements was Chelsea Foundation coach David Monk, the senior international football development officer, who said the “benchmark was set very high.”
For Camacho, this was his second attempt to try out for the clinic and his hard work and determination paid off.
The three young footballers will represent T&T in a week-long training session at Digicel Academy in Barbados in October.
Each of the boys that attended the clinic were given a certificate of participation signed by Monk.
http://www.socawarriors.net/league/league-news/minor-leagues/12341-chelsea-coaches-name-three-for-digicel-academy.html

Very good player... should be involved with the Fatima team this season, just turned 16 .. one of the best technically gifted youths I've seen in a long time, and full of leadership qualities
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 05:34:35 AM by Flex »

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Chelsea FC coaches name 3 for Digicel Academy
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2013, 06:18:06 PM »
Lol....There lies our problem. He just turned 16 and his only option is Intercol. At 16 other players are signing contracts or hustling for one. We need to step it up.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2013, 07:03:08 PM »
Lol....There lies our problem. He just turned 16 and his only option is Intercol. At 16 other players are signing contracts or hustling for one. We need to step it up.

Do we know that's his only choice, or is that the choice he made? Is he furthering his education rather than chance a career in football? Has he been advised to stay in school? Has he tried to play for any of the Pro Leagues youth teams?
Central have 16 year olds being prepared to be sent overseas, so if he is as good as they say, he should be looking in that direction. I don't know these three guys, so I can't comment on their potential, but I'd love to have them along to training to take a look.
One thing is certain, to get into British football you have to get into an academy at age 16 so you have two years on a student visa. Then you are eligible for a work permit. At 17, its very hard and by 18 the only way is the 75% rule, which effectively holds you back until at least early 20's, by which time, it's even harder to break through. Hence, 16 is the pivotal age.

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2013, 11:14:05 PM »

Do we know that's his only choice, or is that the choice he made? Is he furthering his education rather than chance a career in football? Has he been advised to stay in school? Has he tried to play for any of the Pro Leagues youth teams?
Central have 16 year olds being prepared to be sent overseas, so if he is as good as they say, he should be looking in that direction. I don't know these three guys, so I can't comment on their potential, but I'd love to have them along to training to take a look.
One thing is certain, to get into British football you have to get into an academy at age 16 so you have two years on a student visa. Then you are eligible for a work permit. At 17, its very hard and by 18 the only way is the 75% rule, which effectively holds you back until at least early 20's, by which time, it's even harder to break through. Hence, 16 is the pivotal age.

FS..check your inbox

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2013, 12:15:55 AM »

FS..check your inbox
Got it! Thanks  :salute:

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2013, 01:30:25 AM »
Banter Banton Is this the kid who played with Rangers youth pro league u14 team? Is his old man a fella they call fowl?

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2013, 05:36:46 AM »
AMWOOD...Fowls son..rangers player..is Dlion Abraham...they/we are all close friends...
Dilon is very very talented ...gifted...both grand fathers played for tnt

Sebastian Camacho..also very talented...trains like a beast....very dedicated...his father is the drummer of my band (jointpop)...and close family friends.
Sebastian also played banjo on my new album...he is an awesome musician also ( drums...piano...guitar..cuatro...bass...banjo)
he opted out of youth pro league this season to train with Jah Lillywhite.
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2013, 04:58:15 PM »
Oh okay, I remember seeing some clips of the youth pro league game involving rangers and then running into Fowl at a local "old man" tournament...he mentioned his son was at Fatima. If the Chelsea thing doesn't work out, I would love to chat with him, may have an excellent opportunity for him. In fact would have liked to have seen all three of the guys selected. By the way Jah is a boss! I don't think he gets any credit for the work he does with youth players! Even today Russell will tell you that he was one of his biggest influences! Anyway hope these three guys selected are success!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2013, 04:16:38 AM »
39 qualify for Digicel clinic.
T&T Express Reports.

THE FULL compliment of 39 young footballers have now been chosen for the week-long Digicel Chelsea Football Academy in November.

The footballers are among the best young prospects and have been chosen from the series of Digicel Kick Start Clinics, which was held in 11 Caribbean countries. The 2013 Digicel Chelsea Football Academy takes place in Barbados under the guidance of youth coach from the Chelsea Football Academy.

Now that the group has been picked, Chelsea Foundation coach David Monk expects some fantastic football at the Barbados Academy.

“I think the fact that we’ve hand-picked a group of Caribbean all-stars to be divided evenly and equally across three teams for the week-long Academy, means we do have high expectations.

We’re not over expecting, but we have picked 39 fantastic ambassadors and we’ve been very fair to every position in a team so everyone has the ability to showcase their talent and represent their country well,” he said.

BERMUDA’S BEST: The winners of the Bermuda leg of the Digicel Kick Start Clinics pose with the three coaches from the Chelsea Foundation. From left to right are Amar Lewis, Chelsea Foundation Coach Kane Cowburn, Tyriko Williams, coach David Monk, Te’vahn Williams, coach Russell Banyard and Bermuda Clinic Wild Card Mazhye Burchall.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2013, 06:09:29 AM »
Digicel Kick Start Academy welcomes TT quartet.
T&T Newsday Reports.

TRAVELL EDWARDS, Sebastian Camacho, Kori Cupid and wildcard Raheam Borde left Trinidad and Tobago on Sunday to take part in the week-long Digicel/Chelsea Kick Start Academy.

The Academy will be staged in Barbados — it began on Sunday and runs until November 17. The boys will receive hands-on training from coaches of the English Premier League’s Chelsea FC.

The successful players were observed and assessed under the watchful eyes of Digicel Kick Start Clinics coaches, who selected the aspiring football stars based on skills, discipline and commitment displayed at the Digicel Kick Start Clinics across the Caribbean and Central America earlier this year.

In 2013, there was also the possibility of a wildcard chosen for the Academy in each participating country — Trinidad and Tobago, Antigua/Barbuda, Bermuda, Grenada, Haiti, Jamaica, Panama, St Lucia, St Kitts/Nevis, St Vincent/Grenadines and Suriname.

The wildcard was selected based on the performance results from the strength and agility tests that were run during the clinics by the Chelsea FC Foundation coaches. The wildcard selectee from each country was then placed in a raffle for a chance to be among the three names to be drawn by Chelsea FC utility player Ryan Bertrand and had the opportunity to win a space at the Digicel/Chelsea FC Academy this November.

Borde was one of the lucky wildcard winners who joined the other three “Trinis” participating in the Academy.

Once again, Digicel demonstrated its commitment to developing such a great team sport while the young footballers across the region continue to display, year after year, the highest level of talent.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2014, 06:34:02 AM »
T&T raise Digicel kick start bar.
T&T Express Reports.

The players who participated at the Digicel Kick Start Clinics hosted in Trinidad and Tobago last week, made a positive impact on the Chelsea FC Foundation Coaches.

The Digicel Kick Start Clinics - now in their eighth year - will again see thousands of aspiring young footballers from across 14 countries in the Caribbean and Central America try out for their chance to travel to the Digicel Academy in Barbados and train under top coaches from Barclays Premier League side, Chelsea FC.

During the week-long Digicel Academy, the top 42 boys from across the region get the chance of a lifetime to receive intensive training under coaches from Barclays Premier League side, Chelsea Football Club.

Senior International Football Development Officer and Digicel Kick Start head coach, David Monk, said: “Over the years, Trinidad and Tobago has always fielded some of the strongest players at the Academy and, this year, we were just as impressed with the boys’ athleticism and knowledge of the game.

‘’Their tenacity, flair and technical ability was evident and, after the first day of training, we could easily identify at least nine players who were of the calibre required to attend the Academy. On the second day, picking the top three became an even harder task as more players started to join the list of footballers who we wanted to see at the Academy—an impressive feat.”

Monk was also impressed by the local coaches who were very knowledgeable about the latest coaching strategies and techniques-- an indication that the Digicel football development programme is working.

He continued: “We were also happy that the coaches were very engaged during the open forum segment of the coach education session where we shared the methods and strategies we use at Chelsea FC. They also got a chance to see these methods applied in a real-life setting while they observed how we interacted with the boys during the Clinics.”

Monk and his team will be heading to Bermuda as the next stop on the Clinics tour, where they will select the best three boys from that country to attend the Academy in Barbados.

PROUD PARTICIPANTS: Winners of the Trinidad and Tobago Kick Start Clinics, from left to right, 15-year-old Oshan George, 16-year-old Anthony Herbert, 15-year-old Renaldo Francois and 14-year-old Rahim Gordon with the Chelsea FC Foundation coaches, second and fourth from left.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Digicel Kickstart Academy Thread.
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2014, 01:57:03 AM »
Kick Start coaches arrive in Caribbean
T&T Express Reports.

Chelsea FC Foundation coaches received a warm welcome when they arrived at the Courtleigh Hotel and Suites in Jamaica for the start of the annual Digicel Kickstart youth football coaching programme.

Coach Steve Winnett and his fellow Chelsea FC Foundation coaches are preparing for the start of the Digicel Kickstart Academy which begins today and ends on November 1.

The Chelsea FC Foundation coaches will host 42 of the best young football talents in the Caribbean and Central America at the Digicel Kickstart Academy, where they will be training 42 aspiring young footballers from 13 countries across the Caribbean and Central America at Sabina Park.

Players will undergo a week of intense training similar to the programme carried out in the Chelsea FC youth team programme, culminating with a match against Jamaica’s National Under-16 team.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 10:45:06 AM by Tallman »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2014, 02:36:55 AM »
Chelsea star to regional youth: Stay focused
T&T Guardian Reports

Former Chelsea FC and Portugal defender Paulo Ferreira made his first visit to Jamaica, where he engaged with teenaged footballers from across the Caribbean at the Digicel Kickstart Academy and encouraged the charges to make the most of their opportunity.

He advised them to keep focused on their careers in the game.

“Listen to your coaches. They are very good and will help you to improve your game. Also, make sure that you never give up... Keep chasing your dreams,” he said.

“I remember watching my favourite players on the television in my village and saying one day that I would like to be playing at that level. So keep working hard and you can achieve greatness.”

Ferreira was present for the start of the Academy which is being hosted in Jamaica for the first time. At the first training session, he shared his experience playing for Chelsea as well as some of the highlights of his career, including winning the Champions League title with Chelsea in 2011 and making it to the final of the European Championships with the Portugal national football team in 2004.

The boys were very excited to meet the two-time Champions League winner and got a chance to ask him questions, which he was happy to address, much to their delight.

Digicel group head of sponsorship James Wynne said: “We are happy to have Paulo Ferreira and the Chelsea FC Foundation coaches here at the Kickstart Academy and I am sure the boys enjoyed meeting such a legendary player.

“Digicel continues to help to develop football at the grassroots level because we believe this will help to start them on the path to a possible professional career.

“Today’s professional players started out at grassroots clubs and were scouted from there and as such, we are developing young players technically at the earliest possible opportunity through the Digicel Kickstart programme.”

The Digicel Kickstart Academy sees 42 boys from across the Caribbean and Central America go through a week of intense training that will culminate in a final match between the academy players and the Jamaica national Under-16 team.

This is the first time that the Digicel Kickstart Academy has been held in Jamaica at the historic Sabina Park—an important sporting venue in the region which is known for hosting world class cricket matches.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2015, 01:57:47 AM »
Digicel Kick Start Clinic begins Saturday
T&T Newsday Reports.

ASPIRING FOOTBALL stars from across the country will have the opportunity to showcase their talent during the 2015 Digicel Kick Start Clinic Pre-Screening Selection at the Nelson Mandela Park in St Clair on Saturday and at the Canaan/Bon Accord Grounds, Bon Accord in Tobago on April 1.

From this selection, the successful athletes will move on to the next phase of the program which involves an intense training schedule during the two-day Digicel Kick Start Clinic hosted by coaches of the Chelsea FC on April 12 and 13.

The Digicel Kick Start Clinic, a developmental program, was first launched in 2008 to present aspiring footballers, between the ages of 14-16, with a ‘once-in-a-lifetime’ opportunity to attend the prestigious Digicel Kick Start Academy.

Last year, hundreds of youngsters tried out for their place to be coached under three top coaches from Chelsea FC. Thirty athletes were selected from each country and given the chance during the Digicel Kick Start Clinic to train under the coaches and showcase their passion and skill for the game of football.

At the end of the clinic, three teenagers were selected by the Chelsea coaches to participate in the Digicel Kick Start Academy which was held last year in Barbados. For those interested in registering to participate in this year’s Kick Start Clinic, registration forms are now available and should be completed and returned to Digicel by today.

Candidates can register through Digicel TT’s Facebook page - facebook.com/digiceltt. Registration forms are also available at the following Digicel Front Office locations at Ansa Centre, 11C Maraval Road, Port of Spain; Gulf City Mall, San Fernando and Milford Road, Scarborough, Tobago.

RELATED NEWS

27 players chosen for Kick Start Clinic
T&T Newsday Reports.

A TOTAL of 27 young and aspiring footballers were yesterday selected to be a part of a two-day Digicel Kick Start Clinic hosted by coaches of current English Premier League leaders, Chelsea FC, on April 12-13 at St Mary’s College Sports Ground, St Clair.

At the 2015 pre-screening selection, which kicked off at the neighbouring Nelson Mandela Park in St Clair yesterday, over 200 young footballers between the ages of 14 to 16 came out in an effort to grab a golden chance of showcasing their talents under the watchful and professional eyes of Chelsea’s tutors.

Altogether, 30 representatives will be selected from the twin-island republic, with the remaining three being chosen from the sister-isle, in their pre-screening session on April 1 at Canaan/Bon Accord Grounds.

Speaking to Digicel’s marketing executive Zindzi-Renee Williams at yesterday’s screening, she was pleased with the strong turnout and reiterated the importance of injecting sport into young people at this crucial age.

“This is our eighth edition and we’re very happy with turnout (yesterday) because it’s better than last year,” said Williams. “Digicel hired qualified coaches from the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation and as you can see, there’s a lot of good talent here.

“Digicel ensures its sport orientation and is also a main sponsor for the Trinidad and Tobago Pro League. With initiatives like the Kick Start Academy, we like to start sourcing talents from a young age. This programme also takes place in all of Digicel’s territories.”

The Digicel Kick Start Clinic, a developmental programme, was first launched in 2008 to present aspiring footballers (ages 14-16), with a ‘once-in-a-lifetime’ opportunity to attend the prestigious Digicel Kick Start Academy.

Last year, hundreds of youngsters tried out for their place to be coached under three top coaches from Chelsea FC. Thirty athletes were selected from each country and given the chance during the Digicel Kick Start Clinic to train under the coaches and showcase their passion and skill for the game of football. At the end of the clinic, three young men were selected by the Chelsea coaches to participate in the Digicel Kick Start Academy which was held last year in Barbados.

Registration for the Tobago-leg is still ongoing and is expected to conclude on March 31. Forms for this session can be picked up at Ansa Centre, 11C Maraval Road, Port-of-Spain; Gulf City Mall, San Fernando and Milford Road, Scarborough, Tobago.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 05:08:16 AM by Flex »

1]; } ?>