April 28, 2024, 05:07:12 PM

Author Topic: Apparently Jaggernauth still in West Indies plans!  (Read 1180 times)

Offline RRamdin

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Apparently Jaggernauth still in West Indies plans!
« on: April 10, 2008, 04:18:43 AM »
Dyson said in an interview that they are still looking at Jaggernauth, and many other spinners around the Caribbean which is encouraging, but I would like to know why Benn got picked ahead of him.

Trinidad offspinner Amit Jaggernauth will not be part of the one-day series between West Indies and Sri Lanka, but he is still very much part of West Indies coach John Dyson's plans.

"I would imagine that Jaggernauth would be part of the Test squad [against Australia]," Dyson said.

Currently the leading bowler in the regional Carib Beer four-day series with 40 wickets, Jaggernauth was in the West Indies squad for both Test matches against Sri Lanka but did not play. But Dyson said the time he spent with the squad was not wasted.

"He's been impressive in the nets during the Test series," Dyson said. "And what we are aiming to do is to make sure he was exposed to the Test squad and also he had a good opportunity to watch Murali [Muttiah Muralitharan] at close range."

Dyson also made it clear that the search for spinners was going beyond Jaggernauth and Barbados left-arm spinner Sulieman Benn.

"There's the Challenge final still to come and that's an interesting match because there are a couple of spinners in that game," he said. "Jaggernauth will be playing in that game, so it's a good chance for him to press his claims even further. Just off the top of my head, we've had a look and a talk about [left-armer] Nikita Miller from Jamaica. And from all reports, he's worth having a good look at as well."

Dyson also said that the wider aim was to, "build up our own knowledge of who's available around the Caribbean from all areas of the game. So we look at batsmen, we look at the fast bowlers, we look at the spinners, we look at the wicketkeepers, so that we're up do date with everyone hopefully."

Dyson, who took charge of the team for the first time on tour of South Africa in 2007-08, also explained how he was attempting to improve West Indies' performances. "We've worked at making a positive, happy team environment," he said. "I think we're making good strides towards achieving that. And I think that when we get the guys in that sort of environment, when we support them throughout whatever happens in the matches, it's a better time for them to play cricket.

"We all know that they've got good skills. Believe it or not, they really do want to win and show the people of the whole Caribbean that they're out there doing their best for them. Sometimes it just doesn't go that way in the middle. But I think we are showing more consistently that we can be very, very competitive with everyone."

Dyson's work and words were endorsed by his captain, Chris Gayle.

"I enjoy working with him [Dyson]. He's a bit of fun as well," Gayle said. "Sometimes you do get a chance to laugh. It's been a good run so far. It's just to continue in the right vein Communication is very good."

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Apparently Jaggernauth still in West Indies plans!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 01:14:44 PM »
"He's been impressive in the nets during the Test series," Dyson said. "And what we are aiming to do is to make sure he was exposed to the Test squad and also he had a good opportunity to watch Murali [Muttiah Muralitharan] at close range."

Dyson just talking a pack of shit.  So on what grounds they could justify picking Benn in front of Jaggers ?
Why they didn't let Jaggers play and expose Benn to the test squad instead ?
And on what grounds they pick Benn again for the ODI...and drop Jaggers altogether ?

STEUPESSS !!!
 :bs: :cursing:

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline vale

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Apparently Jaggernauth still in West Indies plans!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 07:28:23 AM »
They just did not want to pick the man

>:( >:( >:(

1]; } ?>