April 29, 2024, 07:08:34 AM

Author Topic: Tobago United eye best ever season in Pro League  (Read 3827 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Tobago United eye best ever season in Pro League
« on: April 11, 2008, 10:47:38 AM »
tobagonews.com

This year, Tobago United will showcase a united Caribbean force, which includes 14 Tobagonians, five Guyanese, three Antiguans, one Vincentian and one Surinamese. There is also the United States-based six-footer Steven Loverso who has Italian roots.

Among the Guyanese is the ultra-talented Collie Hercules and two goalkeepers from that country's national team. Hercules is the club captain, while the team captain is the Antiguan national skipper George Dublin.

United's team manager Shawn Roachford told the Tobago News, "we are 100 per cent better than last year and we need the Tobago public to come out and witness what we have to offer". Coach Kenny Thomas said, "we expect good results this year, so far the team has been training well and we have a better attitude from our players". Thomas who was Tobago's leading footballer and cricketer of the 1960s expressed his pleasure in the interest and drive being shown by the Tobago-based players at the training sessions. "They now realise what professional football is all about," he said.

Tobago United head coach Peter Granville said, "we are seeking to finish among the first six top teams in the Pro League and to be in the Cup finals this year". Granville revealed, "the Tobago Pro team has developed a relationship with the Keith Look Loy Coaching School and the University of Trinidad and Tobago to have Tobago players involved in the Under 14, Under 16 and Reserve Team competitions in the Pro League". He revealed that the government, through the Sports Company of Trinidad and Tobago, Tobago United was receiving a monthly grant of $50,000. This grant he said was part of government's initiative to sustain the Pro League and keep sports persons at home.

Tobago United will play their first game in Tobago tomorrow (Saturday) at the Dwight Yorke Stadium against the high-flying Joe Public.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 11:02:47 AM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Tobago United eye best ever season in Pro League
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 10:55:17 AM »
What time is that game?

Why is the club captain not the team captain? The only time i have observed such, is when the club captain is injured.

Since Granville is head coach can i then assume that coach Thomas is just the assistant.
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 11:01:21 AM »
Is Bertille StClair at all affiliated with this club.  He should a senior advisor or something, don't let one the brightes minds on the sistel isle go unused

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 11:03:39 AM »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline MATADOR

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 11:11:35 AM »
Steven Loverso, despite being American has had a long history with Trinidadian coaching, training, and philosophies. He has been under Edgar & Jheri Vidale's wing for a long time and has experience playing at some of the top clubs in Wales, Scotland, N Ireland etc. I expect this young man to have a solid season and believe me his skill and strength in the air may surprise quite a few this season. Best of luck to him and to Tobago United.

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline fivers

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 11:34:27 AM »
Thanks for the info man. It's good to see they are getting organized down they.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 06:04:54 PM »
Go Tobago United..... :praying: :praying: :praying:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 07:15:15 PM »
tobagonews.com

He revealed that the government, through the Sports Company of Trinidad and Tobago, Tobago United was receiving a monthly grant of $50,000. This grant he said was part of government's initiative to sustain the Pro League and keep sports persons at home.

take note...and no more questions on how the pro league surviving without jack...and why camps vex with minister of sport.

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 09:13:51 PM »
What time is that game?

Why is the club captain not the team captain? The only time i have observed such, is when the club captain is injured.

Since Granville is head coach can i then assume that coach Thomas is just the assistant.

Just a suggestion.... but I have known teams in the past where the club captain was the real leader in the dressing room/ training, but is sometimes injured or older so not sure to play regularly so they would have a team captain for match day.

I guess Granville is the TD cause I heard him being addressed as that last year, as I know Thomas is the man in training and on the bench all the time.
Collie Hercules is the coach .... player/coach - on information and observation. Kenny just sits on the sideline, and Granno is seldom around at training. Collie has been running the show since the end of last season.
Live large and prosper!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 10:22:27 PM »
Doc,
          I thought you would have been running things!!!!!

1]; } ?>