April 26, 2024, 04:08:34 PM

Author Topic: Collin Samuel Released from Toronto FC  (Read 7027 times)

Offline lil damo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Collin Samuel Released from Toronto FC
« on: April 11, 2008, 02:28:36 PM »
I am very disappointed to see him get released. I thought he had a lot of potential to contribute this year despite what people in Toronto claim. I’ve seen most of TFC games since they started and to be honest, no one on the team, except for Edu, Wynn and Brenen looked like class players, so I can’t understand why the fans target him only.

He hasn’t played great football to be honest, and certainly hasn’t stood out on a team that flat out sucks, but I think he has more potential to contribute than any of the other strikers on the team.

Any thoughts on where he might end up. Scotland maybe?

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080411.wspttfc11/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Collin Samuel Released from Toronto FC
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 02:35:05 PM »
Toronto FC adds another
Globe and Mail Update

April 11, 2008 at 3:16 PM EDT

Toronto FC announced the signing of midfielder Rohan Ricketts on Friday.

The Englishman joins the MLS side after being freed from his contractual obligations at Barnsley of the English Championship.

"He's come in here and impressed the coaches, and by getting him we've instantly added more quality depth for our team," said manager Mo Johnston. "He possesses a great ability to get by players, and will be another exciting player for our fans to watch."

Ricketts, 25, has made stops at a number of big name English clubs including Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur and Wolverhampton before signing with Barnsley in July of 2007.

Related Articles
Recent

Johnston, Carver don't anticipate any problems with Guevara 
 The midfielder started his career at Arsenal, winning the FA Youth Cup with the team in both 2000 and 2001. He also made one appearance with the Gunners in the League Cup against Manchester United. When Ricketts made the move from Arsenal to Tottenham in 2002, he became just the fourth player to make the switch to the cross-London rivals at White Hart Lane.

In a separate move Friday Toronto FC also announced that they have waived forward Collin Samuel due to personal matters.

"We are sad to see Sammy go," said Johnston. "Obviously everyone knows what he brought to the team. We wish him nothing but the best of luck in his future career, and we thank him for contributing to Toronto FC."

Samuel, 26, joined Toronto FC June 25, 2007 after playing out his contract with Scottish Premier League team Dundee United. He started all 19 games he played in, registering 1600 minutes, scoring three goals.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 02:38:23 PM »
I am very disappointed to see him get released. I thought he had a lot of potential to contribute this year despite what people in Toronto claim. I’ve seen most of TFC games since they started and to be honest, no one on the team, except for Edu, Wynn and Brenen looked like class players, so I can’t understand why the fans target him only.

He hasn’t played great football to be honest, and certainly hasn’t stood out on a team that flat out sucks, but I think he has more potential to contribute than any of the other strikers on the team.

Any thoughts on where he might end up. Scotland maybe?

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080411.wspttfc11/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home

after they just keep playing him as a striker instead of on the left wing
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline pufftrini

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 02:41:40 PM »
I am shocked and saddened by this. I went to Columbus to see the FC play and Sammy looked a much improved player over the last season. He looked fitter and faster. He did miss a crucial game tying penalty and the Toronto media crucified him for not following up on the rebound. But Mo Johnson is a savvy football man and I can't see him being swayed by media. Something else must be going on.

The TFC site says that Sammy was let go for personal matters. I believe his family is in Scotland, maybe something is going on there. I don't know. But right now I am scratching my head.
every man has the right to an opinion but that does not give him the right to be a jackass

Offline lil damo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 03:18:23 PM »
I guess TFC have no place for strong, quick and skillful players. Sammy didn't light up the league by any means but I think he will get interest from other MLS teams and definately teams in scotland

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 03:37:31 PM »
He can work anywhere in the UK right?
He has the off season to work hard and maybe train with some teams.  If he can convince a team he can be sold on if he performs well with them then he won't have to wait too long to get back into the mix?
I think to market himself he need to play with urgency and LOOK fit and be ready for a full 90 mins

Darryl Roberts is play with the kinda urgency that cud help samuel marketability.

Good luck with the summer plans....move quick.

Offline SuperTrini

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 03:38:39 PM »
It was obviously a salary cap move because they brought in Armando Guevara............. Former MLS MVP from Honduran team Montagua. .......Plus Colin really missed alot of goals last year. That didn't help either.. :rotfl:

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 03:46:09 PM »
Hard luck Collin but in de ruthless & cutthroat performance industry yuh choose to make yuh career, de amount a pile yuh put dong while at TFC finally ketch up wit yuh.

Hope yuh use dis as motivation to play up to your potential.  Is never good to see somebody lose dey livelihood.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 03:57:35 PM »
 He should have never went there in the first place...MLS is not for we

Offline lil damo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 04:09:06 PM »
They coulda move another player though. The team struggles to score goals but the waive a striker?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 04:09:15 PM »
He should have never went there in the first place...MLS is not for we
Who is "we"...you's ah underachieving mediocre football player too?  whey's de best place fuh allyuh type...since MLS ent cutting it?

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 04:09:58 PM »
bad news....more career moves by Samuel
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 04:27:40 PM »
Hard luck Collin but in de ruthless & cutthroat performance industry yuh choose to make yuh career, de amount a pile yuh put dong while at TFC finally ketch up wit yuh.

Ouch  :D

de man slimmer and trimmer he go get ah wukk somewhey
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 04:31:06 PM »
I feeling bad for him but how long could he continue playing like that without any repercussions  ... i think he'll get alot of interest in scotland and I would look no further than falkirk where he made his name maybe he'll be able to rekindle the old magic there.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 05:49:00 PM »
  Well the games I watched there were moments of  flash that usually ended with little splash.
Potential speed and  toughness never fully  materialized into goals!!!!!!

The Toronto FC  I would look at now with less emotional  support until another Warriors join up with them.

Colin Samuel: the National team calleth....time for resurrection of your career.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 05:49:45 PM »
  Well the games I watched there were moments of  flash that usually ended with little splash.
Potential speed and  toughness never fully  materialized into goals!!!!!!

The Toronto FC  I would look at now with less emotional  support until another Warriors join up with them.

Colin Samuel: the National team calleth....time for resurrection of your career.

So Julius James not worthy of your emotional support?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008, 05:56:14 PM »
Collin Samuel could play a whole lot better.  Dat penalty he take the other day was amateurish.  Dat miss was de final nail.  De Scottish commentator done say dat he could be a handful when he is on vs anyone but yuh never know which Collin Samuel going to show up.  Is not a skills problem.  He head not into it. 

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2008, 05:56:46 PM »
Funny thing is I feel Julius is gonna do well there because unlike Colin he is willing to put down the hardwork

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008, 06:00:15 PM »
Ooops forget about Julius James...leh meh wait and see if they go give this youth man  opportunites to play them ah back on the Toronto FC Wagon.

truetrini

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2008, 06:09:01 PM »

Hope yuh use dis as motivation to play up to your potential.  Is never good to see somebody lose dey livelihood.

hahahahahahaha

Yuh is de f**king best oui... :rotfl:

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2008, 06:19:40 PM »
man go from startng 1st game and taking penalty to being released a few weeks later. hmm sports eh
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2008, 07:06:50 PM »
MLS and T&T players ????????

dais all I hatta say
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2008, 07:26:08 PM »
man go from startng 1st game and taking penalty to being released a few weeks later. hmm sports eh
yeah, hard luck there Collin
Go Julius
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2008, 08:03:57 PM »
They must be making room for another big signing. Trini or no Trini he has been disappointing when you consider the rep he came in with. Way way way too inconsistent
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Tha G.

• Sr. Warrior
  • Anytime is trini time, cyah wait to buss ah lime
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2008, 10:14:18 PM »
we boyz cyah ketch ah break in the MLS these days sah. Real presha in dat league. Back to UK or to T&T fuh he.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2008, 10:27:16 PM »
Hard luck for the man... Now he can concentrate on being a midfielder like i said in a tread before. he has the skills

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2008, 12:09:59 AM »
As a couch gm ,glad he gone . ::) Hope to see him in Trinis in Action treads doh .

Offline Winnipeg Fury

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2008, 07:13:56 AM »

By MLS standards, Samuel was making big bucks, I believe in the range of $165,000 base salary.

He simply did not produce and was given more than ample opportunity. 

TFC fans are literally rejoicing.........

Don't worry, you still have James  :)

Offline TRUwarrior

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2008, 08:16:13 AM »
Who Say TT Pro League!!!!

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2008, 09:37:04 AM »
Colin may as well come back home to the Pro League and try to rejuvenate his career

1]; } ?>