March 29, 2024, 01:16:50 AM

Author Topic: Warner: You blew it Shabazz.  (Read 13396 times)

Offline royalian

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Warner: You blew it Shabazz.
« on: April 13, 2008, 10:17:52 PM »
By: Ian Prescott (Express).

"You had a chance to create history and go up to another level with our women," Jack Warner said to Jamaal Shabazz, who coached the Trinidad and Tobago senior women football team at the CONCACAF Olympic qualifiers which concludes today in Cuidad Juarez, Mexico. "You had the chance up to the 90th minute and you blew it," he said.

Warner was referring to Trinidad & Tobago's preliminary round match against Costa Rica, which ended 2-2. The "Soca Princesses had twice led, and were in front leading 2-1 from the 35th minute, until a defensive lapse saw Costa Rica draw level in the final minute of the match. Had they held on, the T&T women would have advanced to the semi-final where they would have met Olympic champions, the United States. Instead, Costa Rica advanced on goal-difference.

Warner was in Mexico for the USA vs Costa Rica semi-final final, in which the Americans struggled to break down Costa Rica before advancing 3-0 on second half goals. Warner said that the Costa Rica effort and a similar 1-0 loss the Costa Ricans suffered to Canada, former World Cup semi-finalists, proved T&T had missed a big chance.

Warner said the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF) went through tremendous cost to have the women team travel a week early to Mexico, so they could acclimatise. He said that although T&T are perennial Caribbean champions, it would have been a great achievement for them to also be among the top four in CONCACAF, alongside the United States, Canada and Mexico, teams which have all played at the Women World Cup.

"You go to Mexico and you catch a team like Costa Rica. You are leading 2-1, and you draw in the last minute?" Warner felt Shabazz had no excuse. Meanwhile, Warner cautioned national under-20 coach Zoran Vranes that he should not be looking to come up with similar excuses when T&T host the CONCACAF Final Round Under-20 World Cup qualifiers. Now that T&T have been confirmed as hosts and no longer have to go through qualifying, Warner told Vranes that his only job was to find the best young players in the country and prepare them to win one of the three places to the FIFA Under-20 World Cup.

However, there was not all condemnation for the T&T women's squad. Following his team's 6-0 victory over the Soca Princesses, Canadian coach Even Pellerud was quoted on the official Canadian football site as saying:" he Olympic Games campaign started with a quite comfortable win against a skillful and quick, but somewhat disorganised Trinidad and Tobago team."

Lincoln Phillips, the T&TFF'S technical director, said he was amazed at what the local women football programme has been able to achieve with a pool of just 200 players to choose from, while the Americans and Canadians had thousand of players. T&T's women have qualified for CONCACAF Final Round competition at under-17, under-20 and senior levels this year. Phillips said that the goal for Trinidad and Tobago now would be to become a force at the CONCACAF level.

Shabazz felt that the gap between T&T and the CONCACAF powers was narrowing. Shabazz also commended the TTFF for honouring the women's team although they fell short of expectations. Shabazz also said there was a big role for the local media in promoting the women's game.

"Being in Mexico for the last ten days, I saw a media that was frenzied,"Shabazz said. "And that woke me up about the role of the media in building women's football."
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 05:07:14 AM by Flex »

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Warner: You blew it Shabazz
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 04:15:35 AM »
Disorganised seems to be the order of the day whenever our teams play. BTW , how many caps will Shabazz fill? This man seems to b the go to man. :D
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Warner: You blew it Shabazz.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 06:01:06 AM »

"You go to Mexico and you catch a team like Costa Rica. You are leading 2-1, and you draw in the last minute?" Warner felt Shabazz had no excuse. Meanwhile, Warner cautioned national under-20 coach Zoran Vranes that he should not be looking to come up with similar excuses when T&T host the CONCACAF Final Round Under-20 World Cup qualifiers. Now that T&T have been confirmed as hosts and no longer have to go through qualifying, Warner told Vranes that his only job was to find the best young players in the country and prepare them to win one of the three places to the FIFA Under-20 World Cup.

Is not the same thing we did in Jamaica tie the game at last minute?   would vranes be given the support  and games necessary to prepare the under 20 team. Or it would be "d government aint giving we ah cent"
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 06:03:10 AM by Trini _2010 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 06:02:56 AM »
all varnes has to do is select the best u20 yr olds in the country and make them qualify for the world cup? ??? ???

TOOOOOOOOOOO EASYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY :-\

now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 07:56:25 AM »
Shabazz is a real good brother, that really take his job seriously. However, unfortunately Shabazz, I have to support Mr. Warner on his statement. I like that Mr. Warner , come down hard on each individual, hold people accountable for any failure we may have on any of our national teams, especially the men senior  team. At this point in time, I wouldn't say that we are better than USA or Mexico, or may be even CR, but on any given day with heart and effort right down to the final whistle, we can get a favorable result, against any of those countries.

In my opinion, we are right there, may be just a few steps behind those above mentioned countries. I think with us having a world cup appearance, some experienced lads on the team, that are playing at a high level, we should soon find out with this WCQ ahead of us, if we are really behind the big name CONCACAF teams. HIGHLY BLESSED.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 08:07:50 AM »
Thank God Shabbazz blew it.   Ley him go coach Guyana ... From day one mi neva like him bumboclaut!!!!!!!
War...
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 08:14:59 AM »
I like that Mr. Warner , come down hard on each individual, hold people accountable for any failure we may have on any of our national teams, especially the men senior  team.. HIGHLY BLESSED.

Hold every one but himself
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 08:31:33 AM »
So because dey went Mexico 2 aclimitise it will account 4 all d crab dat has been happenin in women futbol 4 yrs. Look Jack give meh a break
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 09:46:30 AM »
So because dey went Mexico 2 aclimitise it will account 4 all d crab dat has been happenin in women futbol 4 yrs. Look Jack give meh a break

Yuh understand!!!....steeeuuupppsss....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 10:10:48 AM »
So Jackula.  Who blew de preparation for de team?

What warm up matches did they play to prepare for the tournament?  Against whom?  Any other national team perhaps?

Yuh tink if dem women was even given a decent preparation for the tournament, dey woulda done better?

Who REALLY blew it Jackula?

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 10:32:41 AM »
So Jackula.  Who blew de preparation for de team?

What warm up matches did they play to prepare for the tournament?  Against whom?  Any other national team perhaps?

Yuh tink if dem women was even given a decent preparation for the tournament, dey woulda done better?

Who REALLY blew it Jackula?

true palos.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 11:00:57 AM »
Shabazz is a real good brother, that really take his job seriously. However, unfortunately Shabazz, I have to support Mr. Warner on his statement. I like that Mr. Warner , come down hard on each individual, hold people accountable for any failure we may have on any of our national teams, especially the men senior  team. At this point in time, I wouldn't say that we are better than USA or Mexico, or may be even CR, but on any given day with heart and effort right down to the final whistle, we can get a favorable result, against any of those countries.

In my opinion, we are right there, may be just a few steps behind those above mentioned countries. I think with us having a world cup appearance, some experienced lads on the team, that are playing at a high level, we should soon find out with this WCQ ahead of us, if we are really behind the big name CONCACAF teams. HIGHLY BLESSED.

Take his job seriously my rass.......how many years now Shabazz misusing players. Players training hard for months and then Shabazz carrying player who train for a week to player leaving out the dedicated players. Come again SUPA. I know plenty women player quit because of favoritism by this coach. Carrying players to tournament overseas because they want them to get scholarships, or because is friend thing. Taking forwrds and playing them as defenders just to include them on the trip and all kind of mess. He create he own monster now deal with it. As long as he is cooach we could have what good players we will always be 4th or fifth.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 11:01:56 AM »
Shabazz is a good coach

Offline jr sams

• Hero Warrior
  • Every time....all de time....true to form
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 11:18:29 AM »
By: Ian Prescott (Express).

"You go to Mexico and you catch a team like Costa Rica. You are leading 2-1, and you draw in the last minute?" Warner felt Shabazz had no excuse.
This man is a "class" act oui. He blame the coach for the last minute equalizer yet no blame on the TTFF...a lot of money spent on the team to get used to the climate.....right...that is the winning formula....forget about warm up games....that is not necessary. Jack, puff puff pass...yuh messin up de rotation!
well yes

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 11:47:19 AM »

Take his job seriously my rass.......how many years now Shabazz misusing players. Players training hard for months and then Shabazz carrying player who train for a week to player leaving out the dedicated players. Come again SUPA. I know plenty women player quit because of favoritism by this coach. Carrying players to tournament overseas because they want them to get scholarships, or because is friend thing. Taking forwrds and playing them as defenders just to include them on the trip and all kind of mess. He create he own monster now deal with it. As long as he is cooach we could have what good players we will always be 4th or fifth.

Interesting points here,some for and against Shabazz depending on how you look at him,some positive or negative depending on how to look at the game and T&T Women's Football,this can be said of any T&T Coach,unfortunately this happens to be Women's Football which we have never had any kind of success except in our backyard.
         As far as our Women's Football is concerned we can blame Shabazz or TTFF, we have to give Shabazz some credit for sticking with the Women's program for so long,this is a job that no Coach wants in T&T and he choose to stand up with our women,i don't have to read and spell for any one here to know the treatment that Women Football gets in our country,we talk about the treatment our men's team gets no one ever talks about the women,can any one tell me if any of these girls get paid or flies first class for games?
         His technical game and philosophy's may be questionable at times but which Coach don't have these problems,Shabazz i think is one of the good Coaches we have in our country,i totally agree with what our technical director Lincoln Phillips had to say,we are so limited as to how much we can do,our player pool is very small,our girls are not challenged regularly at a high enough level,we spend money on trips but what about training.
         We should know by now this is the typical JW playing the blame game,he is never at fault for nothing,i still don't know how Shabazz stay in that position so long,Jack is normally quick to get rid of you for failures,i suffered under that system back in 1989 as a Coach.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 12:08:39 PM »
In the immediate 'what should have been an aftermath' of the game versus Costa Rica this was my gut reaction as well.

Regardless of the administrative conditions, I am of the view that a team leading 2-1 in this setting should not fall prey to a last minute equalizer. Administrative conditions are administrative conditions but the tactical posture of the team on the field is the coach's responsibility. There has to be separation.

This is/was my gut reaction in the context of a match featuring 3 first half goals and a couple of cards.

I am yet to see video of the game, but I have read a variety of accounts of the game. With the stakes as high as they were - even given certain known deficiencies about the environment in which Trinidad & Tobago footballers operate - I have a very difficult time being relaxed in assessing how things went down. This game should not have resulted in a draw in added time.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 12:15:46 PM »
Regardless of the administrative conditions, I am of the view that a team leading 2-1 in this setting should not fall prey to a last minute equalizer. Administrative conditions are administrative conditions but the tactical posture of the team on the field is the coach's responsibility. There has to be separation.

I am yet to see video of the game, but I have read a variety of accounts of the game. With the stakes as high as they were - even given certain known deficiencies about the environment in which Trinidad & Tobago footballers operate - I have a very difficult time being relaxed in assessing how things went down. This game should not have resulted in a draw in added time.

Sooooooo.....when T&T was down 2-1 late in de match in de Crawfie against Guatemala in WCQ needing a WIN to keep their hopes alive of qualifying for WC 2006, and we came back to win 3-2 with 2 goals in the last 5 minutes, that was a lapse in "tactical posture" by de Guatemalan's and had little to do with T&T's prowess and desire right?

Ah guess it also reinforces Touches' "Men of a fat and fertile soil are most commonly effeminate and cowards" theory too. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 12:17:33 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 01:10:43 PM »

Sooooooo.....when T&T was down 2-1 late in de match in de Crawfie against Guatemala in WCQ needing a WIN to keep their hopes alive of qualifying for WC 2006, and we came back to win 3-2 with 2 goals in the last 5 minutes, that was a lapse in "tactical posture" by de Guatemalan's and had little to do with T&T's prowess and desire right?

Ah guess it also reinforces Touches' "Men of a fat and fertile soil are most commonly effeminate and cowards" theory too.

Ay palos, ah eh visit Touches concept thoroughly yet ... only selectively sampled thus far. At present I cyah go as far as saying wha we discussing is compatible with what Touches raised - though I believe @ heart they contemplate essentially different things.

Prowess and desire are to be considered in the equation when evaluating and responding to one's opponent. Where prowess and desire prevail does not negate the question of an opponent's tactics, they simply negate the effect of the opponent's tactics.

Similarly, the calling into question of [defeated] tactics does not minimize the winner's triumph.

Since yuh toss Bodin's paradox of plenty into the ring lehwe go Sun Tzu nah ...

Consider the art of war

Security against defeat implies defensive tactics; ability to defeat the enemy means taking the offensive.

Standing on the defensive indicates insufficient strength; attacking, a superabundance of strength.

and

In all fighting, the direct method may be used for joining battle, but indirect methods will be needed
in order to secure victory.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 01:25:10 PM »
dis result save meh from having to defend/explain why we women get 10/15/20 from some big name Football country in de Olympics.....oh an Shabazz could haul he stinkin Muslimeem ass, no glory for him!  Solomon McCloed RIP!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 01:28:30 PM »
I remember they had the Skeene brothers and Hyacinth in charge of the National women's team and they got rid of them. It was the fittest the team ever was. Proper eating and living style was emphasize. No friendship thing, yuh know what they get rid of them. There are other coaches who are willing to coach the women just they would not force their way in.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline trinipepper

• New Warrior
  • addin fire to the flame ...izatrini
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 01:33:01 PM »
I izatrini.. ok de games done... we aint make it from world cup qualifiers to olympic qualifiers... Everyone is pointing a finger...Jack, Shabazz and TTFA.. Jack well women football is growing and new measures and opportunities should be made.. Like you aint saw how Trinidad and Tobago made it to Germany... if it was not for the coach we would be at home.. Its is about time you focus on womens football.. If Jack had taken the time to make good preparations for the qualifiers and invest in a good coach we could of been going to Bejing .. well they did play some DIV 1 teams and lost so I will have to say invest in a pool of good players also..how yah go lost to some Div 1 teams not even in the top 10 rankings at NCAA...Shabazz is a ok coach but yet he has to prove himself on the women football level.. He ever win anything??? Its about time ..There are coaches out there but TTFA dont like spending time and money on women football. The women league and schooling system is poor... TTFA needs to develop these system and the pool of players to be a good force to international competition... Anyway the games are over Lincoln Phillip like u aint learn nothing out here in the USA.. Youll aint saw what TEAM USA did after the women world cup lost to Brazil. They got rid of that coach..They were in a mess but they look ok now ent... I fed up see we lost ... we had a chance but its time for a new beginning with a new obligation and purpose weee.... let we see TEAM TRINIDAD and TOBAGO nah...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 01:37:47 PM by trinipepper »

Offline #8+1

• Midfielder
  • New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2008, 04:42:02 PM »
I'll be honest: I can't believe Jack said that to Shabazz! WHOAAAA! But it's true: we neva shoulda eaten 6 from Canada.... We really too good for that! The women are talented, but maybe fitness needs to be a lil tighter! I don't understand how the women's player pool is so small? DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MANY TRINIS ARE LIVING ABROAD? Or at least trinis by certification who are MORE THAN WILLING to play????? MANY. And many GOOD ONES at that. We should not have lost to CR either.... they ent good by any means, and our players are BETTER. True that there's nothing we can do at this point, but even with sending the girls down there a week early, the results stayed the same....  Something needs to change, but only ppl behind the scenes (like the players) know what that change needs to be.... I liked Miss Brown... Why doesn't SHE take the reigns? She works dem girls HARD.... Esp. with regards to fitness.... And WHY did we send Shabazz and not Charles????? Anyone know??

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2008, 06:05:28 PM »
because Shabazz is de womans boss...TD
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline trinipepper

• New Warrior
  • addin fire to the flame ...izatrini
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2008, 07:04:15 PM »
Yah forget its T&T football nah .. Its what TTFA does best shuffle coaches (the coaches merry go round system) Its about time they clean house and get out of that mentality... Time for TTFA to start a new beginning like they aint see everybody changing and moving to new levels men and women football rollin and we moving backward.. thumbs up to the men with the pool of players , but the women what is going on with the pool of players ...Ask the players .... take a hint Jack...

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2008, 09:17:07 AM »
Yah forget its T&T football nah .. Its what TTFA does best shuffle coaches (the coaches merry go round system) Its about time they clean house and get out of that mentality... Time for TTFA to start a new beginning like they aint see everybody changing and moving to new levels men and women football rollin and we moving backward.. thumbs up to the men with the pool of players , but the women what is going on with the pool of players ...Ask the players .... take a hint Jack...
        You are right it's what the TTFF does best and it's because they have no choice,if they don't do that they have to seek outside help,we are limited where quality Coaches are concerned in T&T,if you look at the history of our Coaches it's the same ones being recycled,so as you said we are always going backwards,if you have a Coach you fired and in a couple years you brought him back i don't think that's a sign of progress.
         I like the clean house and new beginning statements you made,i too wish we could turn some of our pages so we can move on but it's easier said than done,when we try to look at who we going to restart with we will realize there isn't much,our hands are tied when it come to professional help,experts that can guide us,give us a long range plan,give us some goals to achieve,Lincoln is the only person i've heard said anything along those lines but he alone can't do it.
         My observation is that the TTFF have a lot of plans but implementing them is where the problems are,we just don't have the personnel to do it,we need more qualified people if any thing is to be a success.

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
  • Man of Faith and Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2008, 03:52:14 PM »
Coops, I hear you; I wonder if there is any active effort put into looking for other qualified professional (Trini)people who could give sound advise and assist with proper short and long term planning.
Jesus Christ...King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

Offline nnyman18

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2008, 07:54:35 PM »
CKI I am not sure if that is a real focus at the moment. Real men making some good points as I skim through some of these post. There are many untapped resources that is not being used. Someone alluded to attracting some of the overseas talents to increase the pool. I would agree with that idea especially since there are many talented female players here in the US with some sort of trini connection that will give them the right to don the red white and black uniform. To add to that I know nough men who will be wiling to do free scouting for Sweet TNT to help identify these players for them. Countries all over the world do it so we can take a page and do the same. In the beginning Mexico built their womens team using that format now look where they are at.

There are many trini coaches here in the US who are presently playing major roles in the development of the women's game at the youth and senior levels. I am sure them fellas will be willing to share ideas that can be used to assist with the further development of the womens game back home. There are also men I know from Trini who are coaching womens university teams who will be willing to make their facilities and housing available to offset some cost as well as find good competition for them to play against. I know this can happen on a yearly basis.  Obviously this is not the end all. There is a lot more to be done but some of the things I mentioned above can go a long way to assisting in the further growth and development of the women's program.

I LOVE THIS GAME BETTER THAN I LOVE THIS GAME

Offline trini 2 d bone for life

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2008, 02:21:44 AM »
watch na alyuh trinis rel bad yes..alyuh doh have a life. alyuh know what them girls does go through...i could tell half ah alyuh bored with alyuh life and just like shit talk..
we all know that they should not draw that game, but typical trinis dont kno half of the story but jump to conclusions. I guess when you life boring and you need to vent bad talking the sports people who working hard and going through the stress is exciting. Whatever floats alyuh boat..but get alyuh facts straight before yuh talk yuh crap!!

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2008, 09:52:51 AM »
watch na alyuh trinis rel bad yes..alyuh doh have a life. alyuh know what them girls does go through...i could tell half ah alyuh bored with alyuh life and just like shit talk..
we all know that they should not draw that game, but typical trinis dont kno half of the story but jump to conclusions. I guess when you life boring and you need to vent bad talking the sports people who working hard and going through the stress is exciting. Whatever floats alyuh boat..but get alyuh facts straight before yuh talk yuh crap!!
        Who are you? i guess you are not a Trini right?i agree with you may be we don't know,well help us Mr know it all,give us some information we don't know so we could stop talking crap,give us the half we don't know.
         If you know Trinis,you would know we like talking crap but we can be very serious when we ready so don't come on here to vent your feelings on us,if you don't want to tell anybody what you know tell me i want to know what we wrong whay the girls draw.   

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2008, 10:54:59 AM »
Costa Rica sneak one in

Ian Prescott iprescott@trinidadexpress

Saturday, April 12th 2008

Being a little naive in international football cost Trinidad and Tobago a semi-final place at the CONCACAF Olympic Qualifiers which end on Sunday in Cuidad Juarez, Mexico.

Returning home on Wednesday, Jamaal Shabazz, who was in charge of the T&T women's football team for the tournament, had a laugh when he recalled the circumstances that led to Costa Rica earning a 2-2 draw with the T&T "Soca Princesses".

Trinidad and Tobago played two matches, losing the first 6-0 to Canada, but would have still reached the semi-finals had they beaten the Costa Ricans.

With the point gained against T&T, Costa Rica went on to lose 1-0 to finalists Canada, thus eliminating the Caribbean team on goal-difference.

Costa Rica also put up a fight in Wednesday's semi-final, holding the USA goalless for a half , before eventually falling by a 3-0 margin.

Shabazz explained the dubious circumstances which led to the Soca Princesses not getting the victory which would have given them an automatic semi-final spot.

"We were leading 2-1 from since the first half, when Costa Rica scored in the last minute ," Shabazz recalled. "One of the Costa Ricans got injured, so in the spirit of fair play we put the ball out of the field. Afterwards, when the Costa Ricans took the resulting throw in our half, our girls hesitated, expecting them to give the ball back. Instead, one of the Costa Rican players crossed it to her teammate who took it down and scored the equaliser." The lapse in concentration apart, Shabazz felt Trinidad and Tobago should have put away the game against Costa Rica much earlier, missing three simple chance through Akheela Mollon, Kennya Cordner and Maylee Attin Johnson.

Shabazz admitted that Canada were better than Trinidad and Tobago, but he also felt there were positives coming out of that defeat.

"There was a time long ago when we could never get behind the Canadian defence," he said. "But, in that match, we were able to get behind them about six times. The results were not what we wanted, but the gap between us and those teams has definitely started to narrow."

Shabazz also felt that inexperience in the goalkeeping department cost Trinidad and Tobago heavily.

T&T opted to use untested 17-year-old Tobago keeper Kamika Forbes, sister of Under-17 midfielder Karyn Forbes. She has now become the country's number one due to the inactivity of former regular Lisa Jo Ramkisoon and the retirement of Nicole Mitchell.

While there is a lot of potential in the outfield, Shazazz said at all levels Trinidad and Tobago had a goal-keeping problem.

"Three of the goals we conceded against Canada will not score against her (Forbes) two years from now," Shabazz declared. "I think we had the right plan, which was to approach the game defensively, but there are a lot of things that happen on the field which we do not cater for." ???

Shabazz said the greatest benefit coming out of the tournament is that eight of the Trinidad and Tobago footballers have gained experience playing at the highest level and are still available for the CONCACAF Under-20 Final Round Qualifiers which will be played in June

1]; } ?>