April 23, 2024, 11:30:59 AM

Author Topic: This Broke My Heart  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This Broke My Heart
« on: April 14, 2008, 07:26:48 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/news1.html

The quiet community of Ravine Sable, Longdenville, remained in shock last night after a truck driver reportedly fed his two children a meal of stewed meat and dumplings laced with poison.

He then committed suicide.

The children—Sara Sieuchand, 11, and her ten-year-old brother Sean—were up to late yesterday in stable condition at the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex in Mt Hope.

Police said they believed the children’s father, Sharma “Keith” Sieuchand, 42, might have drunk Lanate, an agricultural insecticide. But his family and relatives say he may have taken a drug overdose.

Police believe the incident took place some time Saturday night.

The children’s mother, Atwaria, left the house several weeks ago after obtaining a restraining order against Sieuchand.

Sieuchand’s mother, Chanardai, 62, said Atwaria had been a victim of physical and verbal abuse. She said her son used to beat Atwaria constantly after smoking cocaine.

A neighbour, who asked not be identified, said Sean ran into a woman’s yard around 6.45 am yesterday.

The neighbour said Sean was shaken and had several bruises about the body. The man said residents thought Sean had been badly beaten, and decided to go into the house to see what had happened.

They found Sara lying next to her father on a mattress on the floor. There were bruises about her arms and legs.

Villagers called the police, who arrived shortly afterwards.

Sieuchand was already dead.

Police took the children to the Chaguanas Health Centre.

They were then transferred to the Eric Williams Medical Science Complex.

A villager, who requested anonymity, said Sieuchand had threatened to kill his wife and children several times.

“Sieuchand used to walk around threatening to kill himself and his children,” the villager said.

“I hear him saying, ‘When I going, I killing them…I not leaving nobody behind.’”

Villagers said Sean and Sara, both students of Longdenville Government School, were doing well in their studies. Sara was awaiting results of the SEA, while Sean had won several medals for academic performance.

Chanardai, who wept as undertakers removed her son’s body, said he had repeatedly spoken of killing himself and his wife.

The couple was married last year after living together for several years. Atwaria has six children from a previous marriage.

Junior Rattansingh, Sieuchand’s landlord, said he last saw him (Sieuchand) on Saturday. He said Sieuchand also offered him a meal.

“The man stop me and ask me to eat…Good thing I don’t eat food from anybody,” he said.

“After this experience, I am not eating any food on the outside ever again. Suppose I was poisoned?”

Police said the stewed meat and dumplings that were left back would be sent for testing.

Investigators said within the last three months three restraining orders had been served on Sieuchand. They said he had been warned several times.

It was only on March 24 that the bodies Hemraj Sookai, 49, and his four-year-old son Kennedy Sean Deolal were discovered in the family’s house in Caroni. Police believe Sookhai forced his son to drink Lanate.

—With reporting by Adrian Boodan

©2005-2006 Trinidad Publishing Company Limited 

Such a serious disparity between the “have and have-not” in Trinidad.  Last week they featured a f**kin rich boy who catch a big Marlin and owe he going to a private school and he parents is big-shut lawyers…..now to read this ..

« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 07:49:13 AM by Dr. Rat »
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
Re: This Broke My Heart
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 07:44:20 AM »

This is indeed sad.

Your closing comments need some clarification though.  Rat, are you suggesting that domestic violence is caused by poverty "i.e the have nots"?

I meet many people who do not have material wealth but they do not go around beating or killing their wife and children.  The neighbours certainly suggest that the man was a wife and children abuser.

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 07:48:22 AM »

This is indeed sad.

Your closing comments need some clarification though. Rat, are you suggesting that domestic violence is caused by poverty "i.e the have nots"?

I meet many people who do not have material wealth but they do not go around beating or killing their wife and children. The neighbours certainly suggest that the man was a wife and children abuser.

Na, just upset that poor people in Trinidad suffer so much. 
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 08:07:15 AM »

This is indeed sad.

Your closing comments need some clarification though. Rat, are you suggesting that domestic violence is caused by poverty "i.e the have nots"?

I meet many people who do not have material wealth but they do not go around beating or killing their wife and children. The neighbours certainly suggest that the man was a wife and children abuser.

Na, just upset that poor people in Trinidad suffer so much. 

I hear you ...  :(
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 08:36:19 AM »
I tired say 4get murder and go straight 2 suicide.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 04:30:54 PM »
i pray fuh de kids but he go burn forever.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 08:04:29 PM »
always the children to suffer...sigh

Rat the only reason why we always hear about the poor people in such state, is because the rich ones know how to hide theirs perfectly.

case in point:

rich real estate madam from st joseph who tried driving she bmw over down ah cliff this weekend gone, but she ended up getting out the car and jumping over she self.  she dead - but you hear anything about it since ??? NO

what about the other rich one who had an affair with some outside man and dey husband find out. this one happened in the arima 2 weeks ago. family own big big business in POS. husband threaten to tell all and disown her from the family.....all of ah sudden she land up dead - dey guardian or newsday carry dey story for ONE DAY. Ya hear anyting after bout dat ??? NO 

what about all the 'crimes' that does be happening right there in st clair ??? that ethnic group of people ??? ya does hear anything in the news ? no, but people does talk ent ???

police services and dey media knows which story to put on the front page and which to put in file 13.

don't think its just those in poverty alone...

« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 08:07:28 PM by TriniCana »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 08:36:13 PM »
Real sad. Let's hope the children pull thru!.God bless them!!!      The father, on the other hand,  is on his way tomeet the MAKER!!!

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 10:11:21 PM »
Real sad. Let's hope the children pull thru!.God bless them!!!      The father, on the other hand,  is on his way tomeet the MAKER!!!
he maker must be lucifer.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 08:28:22 AM »
always the children to suffer...sigh

Rat the only reason why we always hear about the poor people in such state, is because the rich ones know how to hide theirs perfectly.

case in point:

rich real estate madam from st joseph who tried driving she bmw over down ah cliff this weekend gone, but she ended up getting out the car and jumping over she self.  she dead - but you hear anything about it since ??? NO

what about the other rich one who had an affair with some outside man and dey husband find out. this one happened in the arima 2 weeks ago. family own big big business in POS. husband threaten to tell all and disown her from the family.....all of ah sudden she land up dead - dey guardian or newsday carry dey story for ONE DAY. Ya hear anyting after bout dat ??? NO 

what about all the 'crimes' that does be happening right there in st clair ??? that ethnic group of people ??? ya does hear anything in the news ? no, but people does talk ent ???

police services and dey media knows which story to put on the front page and which to put in file 13.

don't think its just those in poverty alone...

'Cana part of the issue there is that certain folks know how to keep the cameras AWAY. There was a time when sensational news was written as sensational but not enhanced by video or photography. Accidents would be featured in graphic detail but bodies typically would have been removed.

The sensibilities of media houses is a factor as well. Recently, I saw a photo of a man's body on the ground after being fatally wounded by gunshot on Wrightson Road. De fella's family partially covered the body, de scene wasn't cordoned off nutten.

On a regular in Mexico and Central America yuh see TV footage, sometimes live, of man dead on de ground, fresh blood oozing etc. Ah guessing that wouldn't fly in Ontario. Sometimes to publicize dey fate some ppl invite the media in. Sometimes is on a consolation head. Sometimes is places where de media doh ask fuh no permission dey does jes enter and slide in with de authorities as part of the expectation.

Buh, if yuh check de stance of the constituency you referring to, dey traditionally on a keep out/regulated vibe so it eh no surprise that plays out in tragedy as well. Dahis dey survival mechanism @play.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 03:31:06 AM »
why do pics of these minors need to be on the front pages?

edit: why do their faces need to be in the press at all?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 11:59:37 AM by asylumseeker »

1]; } ?>