March 28, 2024, 04:54:25 AM

Author Topic: Cruyff backs Barca to beat 'long ball' United  (Read 7491 times)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Cruyff backs Barca to beat 'long ball' United
« on: April 15, 2008, 02:09:22 PM »
Barca backed to beat 'long-ball' United[/b]

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/8032316/Barca-backed-to-beat-'long-ball'-United

Barcelona legend Johan Cruyff believes his former side can pull Manchester United apart when the teams meet in the Champions League semi-final.

Cruyff, who now acts as an official adviser to club president Joan Laporta, denies there is any reason to be pessimistic, however, and says that Sir Alex Ferguson's men have as much to fear as anyone.

The Dutchman coached Barcelona to their first European Cup triumph back in 1992, and he believes he knows the way to beat the English champions.

He told El Periodico: "They run a lot. Their style of football, and that of all the English teams, gives the false sensation that they run more than anyone.

"That's because despite having a majority of foreigners in their squads they maintain the philosophy of long-ball football and sprinting 60 yards.

"That is how they exploit spaces in front of the midfield. If they played in the other team's half more often those spaces wouldn't exist.

"Despite recognising their effort, you can disarm an English side that presses and looks for the long ball by keeping possession and moving the ball around quickly.

"And if you know they will expend all their energy on closing down and chasing long balls, then you know where to beat them: by playing the ball horizontally.

"However badly Barca is doing we have at least the same chance of progressing to the final as United.

"They are very good, that's true. Of the three English teams in the semis, for me Manchester is the best.

"But I'm absolutely convinced that they're thinking exactly the same about Barca. That of all the semi-finalists, the Blaugranes are the strongest."
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 02:12:48 PM by omarldinho »

Offline Trin

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Cruyff backs Barca to be 'long ball' United
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 02:11:56 PM »
 :rotfl:

sorry barca no trophy for allyuh dis year either.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Cruyff backs Barca to beat 'long ball' United
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 02:40:12 PM »
Cryuff making sense.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 03:00:15 PM »
f**k off...  Every team uses longball ...i dont understand why its always the English play long ball..  bullshit

United and Arsenal use the ground more than some teams in Europe...So Cruyff once again..yuh talking shit...   

There's only one Jordi Cruyff...the true Legend

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 03:08:44 PM »
wat he says, whether u agree or not does not take away from the fact that he is a footballing legend.  the fact that barcelona's midfield doesnt lend much  help to a struggling defence especially at left back opens them to be carved up by some long balls .
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 07:24:02 PM »
Cruyff mabe a legend but I disagree.

Barca may have more skillfull ball men, but they also play plenty long ball. As to United running a lot. Barca runs a lot. Cruyff use to run a lot Any team Cruyff played on, the team was stuctured around him. he use to run all over the blasted place. Now I  wonder if he was on steriods in his days. Psych game he playing.

Offline 7 blessings

• Lion II Zion
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 07:39:47 PM »
f**k off...  Every team uses longball ...i dont understand why its always the English play long ball..  bullshit

United and Arsenal use the ground more than some teams in Europe...So Cruyff once again..yuh talking shit...   

Whey boi how u gettin on so? If allyuh is a long ball side den allyuh is ah long ball side....ent it working for allyuh? Everybody know that english brand is ah traditional long ball side and even though side like arsenal and Chelsea and even Man U starting to play more football and knockin the ball more (mainly cause ah dem imports). United playing real football now but i still backing Barca cause i just eh really respect dah English "long ball brand"
Jesus Christ died for us....now it's time for us to Live for Him

Offline Lazie

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 07:42:11 PM »
Zambrotta: Barcelona can't go toe-to-toe with Man Utd

tribalfooball.com - April 14, 2008

Gianluca Zambrotta says Barcelona cannot go toe-to-toe with Manchester United in their Champions League semifinal.
Italy World Cup-winning defender Zambrotta believes if Barca must not adopt a gung-ho approach against the English champions.

Zambrotta said: "To eliminate Manchester United we will have to adopt an Italian style. English teams are not comfortable against a side that can retain the ball and wait for openings.

"We can't afford to make defensive mistakes. Stopping United from scoring an away goal in the first leg is imperative."

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 07:43:36 PM »
wat he says, whether u agree or not does not take away from the fact that he is a footballing legend.  the fact that barcelona's midfield doesnt lend much  help to a struggling defence especially at left back opens them to be carved up by some long balls .
cryuff and pele,2 legends and 2 shit talkers.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 07:46:37 PM »
Cryuff making sense.
stueps you must say tht, la liga lover ::)
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 08:03:06 PM »
Allyuh men gettin on like ManU is a perfect side with no weaknesses. Like if men like Eto'o and Messi is not BIG BIG Big players in this game. Steups !! Ronaldinho or no Ronaldinho. Barca still has enough quality to get past Man U. Ferdinand , Evra,Wes Brown et al not exactly rock solid.

But Cruyff talk shit there. Man U is one of the few English teams that play proper technical football.

giggsy11

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 08:13:06 PM »

Whey boi how u gettin on so? If allyuh is a long ball side den allyuh is ah long ball side....ent it working for allyuh? Everybody know that english brand is ah traditional long ball side and even though side like arsenal and Chelsea and even Man U starting to play more football and knockin the ball more (mainly cause ah dem imports). United playing real football now but i still backing Barca cause i just eh really respect dah English "long ball brand"

Man/woman shut yuh rarse! United aint just starting tuh play football or 'real football! How dey arse long you been watchin dem play? Because you tink the 'English brand is ah traditional long ball side' does not mean dat has been United's way of playin. Go rent some tapes/DVDs and then come back and post, see if yuh post dey same sh!te!

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 08:30:04 PM »
Allyuh men gettin on like ManU is a perfect side with no weaknesses. Like if men like Eto'o and Messi is not BIG BIG Big players in this game. Steups !! Ronaldinho or no Ronaldinho. Barca still has enough quality to get past Man U. Ferdinand , Evra,Wes Brown et al not exactly rock solid.

But Cruyff talk shit there. Man U is one of the few English teams that play proper technical football.

where we say we are a perfect side.... we just defending our side...  and yes Barca are a great team and are very dangerous....no1 is underestimating them...  but let Cruyff talk his usual shit...

"Ferdinand , Evra,Wes Brown et al not exactly rock solid."..  that had to be one of your stupidest posts... Our back 4 with Brown..Vidic..Rio..Evra is probably the most solid back line rite now...

may the best team win

I declare War..

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 08:54:09 PM »

where we say we are a perfect side.... we just defending our side...  and yes Barca are a great team and are very dangerous....no1 is underestimating them...  but let Cruyff talk his usual shit...

"Ferdinand , Evra,Wes Brown et al not exactly rock solid."..  that had to be one of your stupidest posts... Our back 4 with Brown..Vidic..Rio..Evra is probably the most solid back line rite now...

may the best team win

I declare War..
I respect Vidic he is no nonsense. De ress a dem due for a Spanish lesson.

giggsy11

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 08:59:45 PM »

may the best team win

I declare War..
I respect Vidic he is no nonsense. De ress a dem due for a Spanish lesson.

The only sh!tehound and liability is Wes, he is a damn own goal watin to happen!

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 09:45:25 PM »
Tell Cruyff to haul he cudders month... Barca beating who.... not with that defence...

He just jealous that Jordi never turned out to be a United legend... ;D

(I confess I have a green and yellow Cruyff Man U shirt, doh know if it authentic though)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 09:47:01 PM by forever trini »

Offline 7 blessings

• Lion II Zion
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 11:01:12 PM »

Man/woman shut yuh rarse! United aint just starting tuh play football or 'real football! How dey arse long you been watchin dem play? Because you tink the 'English brand is ah traditional long ball side' does not mean dat has been United's way of playin. Go rent some tapes/DVDs and then come back and post, see if yuh post dey same sh!te!

First of all English brand IS mainly a traditional long ball brand...if u watchin english football longer dan me and eh see that den i doh kno wah u watchin. And musbe eh watchin Man U play as long as u but i use to watch dem play when Eric Cantana was there cause he was one of my favorite players....allyuh actin like if someone sayin ah long ball brand is ah inferior brand....ManU perfect dem brand thru the genius of fergie but it still remains a brand that depends on strong wing play and a lot of long balls...yes dem have the ability to knock the ball short and they DO THAT MORE NOW, as do many other english teams who realise that dem was gettin dem tail cut wid the brand dem was playin...but ManU brand of football have evolved and i doh have to be a die hard fan to see that....if u want to take offense den tote all the feelins u want...the english brand is trying to evolve because it has been failing due to defences learnin how to counteract dem...relax nah man all dis hostility and ting back yuh side and chill yuh pokes
Jesus Christ died for us....now it's time for us to Live for Him

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 04:55:21 AM »
you know how long mi n hear ah man say chill yuh pokes  :rotfl: :rotfl:

1994-95
Manchester United 2–2 Barcelona
Barcelona 4–0 Manchester United
1998-99
Manchester United 3–3 Barcelona
Barcelona 3–3Manchester United

well this tie always seems to bring goals, and by the way manu never beat us yet
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 05:18:18 AM »

dont bring this shite in the nou camp eh  :rotfl:( ah jus using the pic that was provided with the article)

Last season United were favourites to beat AC Milan in the semi finals as Milan were not performing well in the Italian league. United took an early lead in the first game at Old Trafford through a Ronaldo goal but Kaka shocked the crowd with two sensational goals before half time. United rallied in the second half and Rooney scored twice to give the English team a narrow 3-2 advantage to take to San Siro. In the second game Milan destroyed United with goals from Kaka, Seedorf and Gilardino to win 5-3 on aggregate. Milan then went on to win the trophy beating Liverpool in the final.

As favourites the pressure will be on United who despite their excellent domestic record have not reached a European final since 1999. Only Neville, Giggs,Hargreaves and Van Der Saar have experience of a Champions League final whereas Barça have ten first team squad players with that experience.

According to Cruyff the key will be in not losing possession in dangerous positions, of course this is logical as United like to attack quickly when they get the ball. Barça will need to maintain a very high level of concentration and keep moving the ball quickly to avoid this, but surely for such a game the players will have the motivation to be focused enough. After all it is one thing to be motivated for a trip to Almeria or Recreativo and another to face the best team in Europe in a semi final.

Many of Barça’s hopes will lie with Leo Messi and Samuel Eto’o, and it should be remembered that when the two of them play together Barça’s attack works so much better. Unfortunately this season they have hardly coincided at all which is another of the reasons for Barça’s erratic league form. If they can both perform at their best then Barça will certainly cause United’s back four some problems.

Of course it will not be easy but one of the beautiful things about football compared to many other sports is that the best team doesn’t always win, and one little bit of luck or one moment of individual brilliance can make the difference between success and failure. Many of the recent winners of the Champions League were not the best team that year and there are plenty of examples of winners who did not win their domestic league in the same season. In fact, of the last twelve winners of the Champions League only four have won the domestic league in the same season (Barça 2006, Porto 2004, Bayern Munich 2001, Man United 1999). For all the pessimistic culés out there, you should remember this.

Offline trinsolutions

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 05:30:08 AM »
ManU has a very mobile team with alot of outside players on their team. Barac can beat them but they have to come good

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 06:00:05 AM »
Cruyff obviously still bending from losing the Cup Winners Cup to United in 1991. He had a side with Laudrup, Koeman and Bakero and they get beat by a United side that was playing in Europe for the first time after the 5 year ban.

Cruyff sounding like he ent watch United play for 10 years. To characterise them as a long ball team is ridiculous.

Traditional English longball football is to knocking it forward to a "big man" who knocks it down to the midfield. Who would then knock it out to th ewing or back to the forward. It is a style that kills English teams in international games because they give up too much possession.

United's football isn't even remotely like that, especially in Europe where Ferguson tries to have his team keep possession.

THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2008, 06:14:12 AM »
Its not about the long ball or the short ball...its about the right ball....not my words
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2008, 06:55:05 AM »
ManU plays a very good brand and mixes the best of everything - technical football, short passes, long passes, individual skill and flair, as well as hard running and tackling. They have their weaknesses, but they also have a little bit of everything. And they have depth. I felt sorry for Arsenal when I aw fergie make dat double sub of Anderson and Tevez. Talk about pressure..two very skillful, young fellas who are also absolute pitbulls. You cannot shake them off the ball and they never say die. I cannot imagine being bun and looking up and seeing that is who coming on. Dat is a big side. As for the long ball....when they use it, it is usually an attempt at an accurate pass with deadly intent...not a hit and hope hoofer.

Cruyff just playing mind games..and in case nobody ever notice, he does diss current Barca players more than anyone else. This is a welcome surprise to hear him actually big up the Blaugrana. I find he does move like a bitter ex-player who wishes he was still in the limelight.

Barca / ManU will be a huge game. I counting on Barca to continue their Cup run. They still have a lot of quality and they are wounded. The Cuip represents the most realistic chance at silverware and we all know that Cup form and League form can be two different things. It will really come down to individual matchups I think. But not only am I a fan of Barca football, but the worse Champion's league finals I've ever watched were Real madrd V Valencia and Milan v Juventus. Whenever the finalists come from the same country =  boooooooring. Barca is the only team left to give this a true European Cup feel. I watch enough EPL..doh need to see two EPL teams in the final. Sad things is I like ManU better then Liverpool and Chelsea, so I wish this was the final. Oh well...fasten yuh seatbelt. This will be good.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2008, 08:11:28 AM »

I find he does move like a bitter ex-player who wishes he was still in the limelight.

I was going to make that point, the man does remind me of Alvin Corneal. Even when Barca winning he does have something to stay, he call for Ronaldinho head many a time and he seems to have the ear of all the Barca presidents.

This match up going to be a tough one, I have been waiting for it since 99 and when I finally get it R10 ups and gone.

Barca needs to take the lead in the Nou Camp and defend it out at Ole Trafford in the 2nd leg. We need to go with the strongest back four and share blade and on top of which Puyol suspended for the 2 most dotish red cards I ever see.

Més que un club.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2008, 08:28:42 AM »
Puyol suspended for the 2 most dotish red cards I ever see.

Overrated
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

giggsy11

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2008, 08:35:20 AM »

First of all English brand IS mainly a traditional long ball brand...if u watchin english football longer dan me and eh see that den i doh kno wah u watchin. And musbe eh watchin Man U play as long as u but i use to watch dem play when Eric Cantana was there cause he was one of my favorite players....allyuh actin like if someone sayin ah long ball brand is ah inferior brand....ManU perfect dem brand thru the genius of fergie but it still remains a brand that depends on strong wing play and a lot of long balls...yes dem have the ability to knock the ball short and they DO THAT MORE NOW, as do many other english teams who realise that dem was gettin dem tail cut wid the brand dem was playin...but ManU brand of football have evolved and i doh have to be a die hard fan to see that....if u want to take offense den tote all the feelins u want...the english brand is trying to evolve because it has been failing due to defences learnin how to counteract dem...relax nah man all dis hostility and ting back yuh side and chill yuh pokes

You made a blanket statement about English football being a traditonal long ball type of football. You also said that United football has evolved and even they playing more ball and knocking ball. United did not JUST start knocking ball or playing football. They have always had skillfull players and have made an effort to play entertaining and attractive football. The team's philosophy has always been to entertain. You don't have a quarter of a billion fans playing 'long ball'! You don't play long ball when you had Charlton, Best, Law, Duncan Ferguson, Giggsy, Jesper Olsen, Sharp, Konchelksis, Coppell, Whiteside, Mc Clair, Joe Spence, Sammy Mc Ilroy, Jack Rowley to name a few. So bust out the tapes pre Cantona so you can stop posting sh!t!

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2008, 08:52:10 AM »
Puyol suspended for the 2 most dotish red cards I ever see.

Overrated

not more than Salgado, Woodgate and the rest ah dem goats floundering around in the back for Madrid.

Zambrotta------Thuram--------Millito------Abidal

Thuram go have to walk with he jumping boots because those crosses will be whipped in fast and furious and it's no sceret that Barca not good in the air.

Més que un club.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2008, 09:13:41 AM »
Its not about the long ball or the short ball...its about the right ball....not my words
         :applause: :applause: This is the best line i read all morning on this topic but is one question i would like to ask,can any one tell me what is wrong with the long ball in Football?some people talk about it as though it's a crime,this game is about tactics and teamwork,Man U has always been a team that everyone respects regardless of what league they from,why they respect them is because they play a good brand of Football,they are always in contention for everything,is that why people hate them?their brand of Football creates problems for other teams because of the nature of their game,it's a mixture of long ball/short ball/possession and individuals who can change the outcome of a game at any given time.
           Like or hate them no one on here misses a Man U game,that makes them special,it's entertainment from start to finish because anything can happen at any time,Ronaldo stop diving and like he scoring more goals,any how lets look forward to the next Man U game.

giggsy11

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2008, 09:28:17 AM »
         :applause: :applause: This is the best line i read all morning on this topic but is one question i would like to ask,can any one tell me what is wrong with the long ball in Football?some people talk about it as though it's a crime,this game is about tactics and teamwork,Man U has always been a team that everyone respects regardless of what league they from,why they respect them is because they play a good brand of Football,they are always in contention for everything,is that why people hate them?their brand of Football creates problems for other teams because of the nature of their game,it's a mixture of long ball/short ball/possession and individuals who can change the outcome of a game at any given time.
           Like or hate them no one on here misses a Man U game,that makes them special,it's entertainment from start to finish because anything can happen at any time,Ronaldo stop diving and like he scoring more goals,any how lets look forward to the next Man U game.

To me the long ball implies hit and hope, you hope somebody latch on to it. Booom kick football, the sh!t boring. Compared to when you build up the play by passing the ball. Imagine watchin sides like Bolton, all season?

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2008, 10:12:52 AM »

To me the long ball implies hit and hope, you hope somebody latch on to it. Booom kick football, the sh!t boring. Compared to when you build up the play by passing the ball. Imagine watchin sides like Bolton, all season?
        What i'm trying to say is, if the long ball is used at the appropriate times or for tactical reasons it's a beautiful ball,further more if you can win with it why not use it even if it's ugly,but i understand how people feels about it and your logic is correct.   

1]; } ?>