April 28, 2024, 07:47:17 AM

Author Topic: Penalties: Kick dem right down de middle, or not?  (Read 1588 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Penalties: Kick dem right down de middle, or not?
« on: April 16, 2008, 07:07:19 PM »
Remember those complex math calculations from the movie A Beautiful Mind? Here's some of the same stuff applied to our beautiful game.

Ah left out de formulas and variables and kept the general info. Iz an excerpt of recent research by German economists.

They call it 'The Penalty-Duel and Institutional Design: Is There a Neeskens-Effect?' ... ah know men like Observer and others know 'bout Neeskens the player.

I. Introduction: Penalty taking and game theory

In soccer, penalty kicks and shootouts are taken from twelve yards (= 10, 9728 meters) out from goal, with only the goalkeeper between the penalty taker and the goal. Penalty kicks were first introduced in Ireland in the 1891-92 season in order to punish a foul within the penalty area. Penalty shootouts were introduced in 1970 to determine who progresses after a tied match. Since then, penalty taking determined the outcome of numerous soccer games and tournaments, including, for instance, the FIFA World Cup finals 1994 between Brazil and  Italy, and 2006 between Italy and France. In this paper, we ask what strategies in penaltytaking can be considered ‘clever’ or ‘rational.’ We focus in particular on strategies that involve shooting to the middle of the goal.

Game theory analyzes and predicts behavior when people interact with each other. Taking the framework of the interaction – the game – as given, game theory offers solutions. A game includes the rules of interaction, the strategies available to the “players,” and the payoffs (or ‘utilities’) each player assigns to all possible outcomes of the game.

... game theory focusses on behavior arising from a given set of institutional rules and asks how institutions affect behavior.
The answer, as we will argue, may depend on the shared perceptions of the interactive decision situation by the players.

Regarding penalty taking, the institutional rules are pretty clear, even though they may change over time. The strategies available to the players are, however, less obvious, and in fact we will discuss the impact of different possible sets of strategies – and hence different game forms – on behavior in this paper. We will also argue that the payoffs assigned to the outcomes of penalty taking, goal or no goal, are more subtle than has previously been assumed. Players may not only want to maximize respectively minimize the probability of a goal, but there are also indications that players have preferences over the strategies that can be chosen.

II. A (too) simple game theoretic model

Let us begin with the simplest possible game theoretic modelling of what might be called the “penalty-duel.” A penalty-duel involves two players, the kicker and the goalkeeper. The interests of the players are perfectly opposing; success of the kicker implies failure of the goalkeeper, and the other way round. More precisely, the conflict structure is such that the goalkeeper wants to coordinate his action with the one of the kicker, while the kicker aims at discoordination of actions.

We also assume that the two players must move simultaneously, implying that players are not able to react to the movements of the opponent. Indeed, many observers argue that neither does the speed of the ball allow goalkeepers to react to the ball’s course (e.g., Palacios-Huerta 2003) nor does a goalkeeper wish to move early in order to avoid signalling to the kicker about his intentions. Furthermore, Chiappori et al. (2002), among others, provide empirical evidence suggesting that moves of the players in penalty taking are simultaneous ones. Summing up, from a simple game theoretic perspective, a penalty-duel can be seen as a simultaneous, two-person game with strictly opposing preferences.

A simple model assumes that the kicker (K) has only two strategies; he can either choose to kick to the left side (L) or to the right side (R); the option of shooting to the middle is ignored here for the moment. Accordingly, the goalkeeper (G) can either jump to the left or to the right side. (Here and in the following, left and right is defined from the kicker’s perspective.) If both players choose the same side (the top left or the bottom right corner of the table), the goalkeeper succeeded in coordination and manages to save the penalty. In this case, the kicker’s payoff is zero and the goalkeeper’s payoff is normalized to one. In the cases, when the goalkeeper fails to jump to the side chosen by the kicker, who succeeded in discoordinating actions, there is a goal and the goalkeeper’s payoff is zero while the kicker’s payoff is normalized to one.

We finally note that, mainly because of this random element in the strategies, penalty shootouts have been criticized as an unsatisfactory way to decide a soccer game. However, later in this paper, we will develop a more realistic model, in which the players’ skills affect the probability of success, so that the outcome is still influenced but not entirely determined by randomness.

We credit Johan Neeskens, a Dutch midfielder playing for Ajax Amsterdam and FC Barcelona in the 1970s, with this clever innovation, which gradually changed the perception of the essence of the penalty game by kicker and goalkeeper from a 2x2 to a 3x3 game. E.g., the German site of Wikipedia mentions that ever since the 1974 World Cup Final, Neeskens is credited by soccer commentaries as the inventor of the Neeskens-variant (“Neeskens-Variante”) of taking a penalty: shooting straight to the middle, while the goalkeeper dives for a corner (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johan_Neeskens).

In this game the referee awarded a penalty to the Netherlands against Germany in the second minute of the game, which Neeskens had the nerve to take in precisely this way – while Sepp Maier, the German goalkeeper, opted for his right corner. As mentioned by wikipedia the double prominence of the occasion, a penalty in the second minute of World Cup Final, propelled the Neeskens-variant to international prominence and recognition as a valid and serious option for taking a penalty.

It is not known to us, whether there ever was a penalty at a similarly important or internationally prominent occasion, which was (intentionally?) taken this way before. However, there was another – and now in Germany equally historical – penalty taken this way at an almost equally important and prominent occasion two years later: the last penalty of the penalty shoot-out that decided the Final of the European Championships in 1976 between Germany and Tchechoslovakia. It was taken by Antonin Panenka, who delicately chipped the ball right into the middle of the goal mouth – while Sepp Maier opted for his left corner. Panenka undoubtedly did so intentionally. He later said: “I knew long before that I would take the penalty this way.” His own goalkeeper warned him the night before the final, that – if the occasion should arise – doing so would be “too arrogant.” Panenka himself was aware of the risk: “If Maier would have stayed put, they would have sent me to the factories for the next 25 years. The communists would have accused me of ridiculing their system” (Martens, 2003). Alas, it went well to the fame of Panenka (and the Neeskens-variant).[/color]

These observations lead us to the following claim: before 1974 (and the Neeskens penalty) the “institution” penalty-duel was a standard of behavior, according to which kickers chose L or R and goalkeepers did likewise. That is, a 2x2-game form gives an adequate description of the penalty situation. After 1976 (and the Panenka-penalty) the “institution” penalty-duel was perceived as a 3x3 game form constrained by certain behavioral rules.

IV. Opting for alternative M: Why is the middle relatively unattractive to players?

While there is anecdotic evidence, there is no statistically unambiguous evidence in our data that Neeskens’ innovation significantly changed the way penalty kicks were executed. Several statistical tests applied to our limited data from the Bundesliga could not reveal a structural break in the mid-seventies. Part of the reason might be that the middle is a less attractive strategy than the corners to both, kicker and goalkeeper: Based on data from 459 penalties from French and Italian League 1997 – 2000, Chiappori et al. (2002) found that

• the kicker chooses middle less often than either corner,
• the goalkeeper chooses middle less often than either corner, and
• the goalkeeper chooses middle less often than kicker (in fact, goalkeepers almost
never stay in the middle).
As a consequence, kicking to the middle on average has the highest probability of scoring
(81.0% as compared to 70.1% for the right corner and 76.7% for the left corner
; see Table 4 in
Chiappori et al. 2002).

Obviously, these observations are not in line with our simple model of Game II, which suggests that the middle should be as attractive as each of the corners. They also appear inconsistent with the Fundamental Lemma described above: in equilibrium, the expected payoff to every action to which a player’s strategy assigns positive probability should be the same.

Chiappori et al. (2002) explain some of these effects with heterogeneity with respect to the players’ capabilities to score when choosing one of the three strategies, left, right and middle. For instance, it is typically easier for a kicker to score when kicking to the converse side of his strong foot. This heterogeneity can explain why certain strategies are more often chosen than others by certain kickers. But it cannot explain the superior average scoring rate for the middle strategy. So we suspect that heterogeneity is only part of the explanation.

In order to find out more about why the middle seems a rather unattractive strategy despite the strategic advantage of using it, we asked Harald “Toni” Schumacher and Hans Jörg Butt about their strategies in penalties. Toni Schumacher is considered one of the world’s best goalkeepers during the 1980s and was capped 76 times for Germany. Hans-Jörg Butt is an active goalkeeper playing in the Bundesliga for Bayer Leverkusen. He is most remarkable – and unique – among German goal keepers, because he is not only considered a penalty killer` - Wikipedia notes that he on average saves 7 out of 10 penalties -, but at the same time one of the most successful penalty takers. He currently (November 2006) has 26 goals from the penalty spot to his credit, more than any other goalkeeper ever in the Bundesliga. So, if anyone knows how to put himself into the opponent`s shoes, it is him. Both goalkeepers confirm that there is heterogeneity among kickers, though the classifications they use are quite different. Toni Schumacher mentioned that there are 4 types of kickers distinguishable according to whether they shoot with the left or right foot, and whether the shot is powerful or more technically demanding.

A powerful shot from a rightfooter, for instance, would most likely go to the left corner. Hans-Jörg Butt, on the other hand, classifies kickers according to whether they try to react to goalkeepers, or whether they
choose the corner independent of the movements of the goalkeeper.
So, there is heterogeneity – implying that we should not observe equal probabilities for choosing the actions right, middle and left. At the same time, however, both goalkeepers suggested that the unattractiveness of the middle-strategy is also driven by an asymmetric payoff structure, which has not been considered in earlier work. Toni Schumacher, for instance, noted that he never just stayed in the middle. Asked why, he responded that this would be “against my honour.” When we remarked that, knowing this, a kicker’s best response would be to shoot in the middle, he answered that a kicker, who shoots in the middle, “does not deserve to kick a penalty against me,” and that this would be “a different game” (sic!). While Hans-Jörg Butt also pointed out that there are technical difficulties with shooting to the middle (“schippen”), he reasoned that it is a larger “disaster” for the kicker when a shot to the middle is saved (recall Panenka`s statement!), than it is a disaster for the goalkeeper when he does not save a shot to the middle. A kicker, who gets caught with middle is a “fool” (“Depp”). Both views indicate that the payoffs associated with corner and middle actions need to be treated differently.

Conclusion

Neeskens and Panenka demonstrated that going beyond shared perceptions of how to play the game (i.e. fulfill the roles of the institution), and devising new, innovative strategies may yield a competitive edge. They possibly changed the way penalty-kicks are perceived in a permanent way. Their innovation accounts for and answers to the growing competitiveness of professional sports – and in particular soccer – due to increased commercialization. While game theory may capture the consequences of institutional change created by innovators such as Neeskens and Panenka, it cannot as easily portray creativity in institutional design, because that would have to start with a description of all conceivably available strategies.

We demonstrate how a number of empirical observations and statements by goalkeepers (and a kicker) about the attractiveness of the middle option in penalty taking can be accounted for by an equilibrium analysis of the penalty duel with modified payoffs. Kickers and goalkeepers do not only have preferences on the outcome of the game, goal or not goal, but also on the way the kick is taken or saved, which has to do with the perception of their roles.

Although new behavior in a role may become legitimate, it need not be perceived as acceptable as the
traditional one. More specifically, our study strongly suggests that a shot or even goal to the middle is evaluated differently than a shot or goal to a corner by both, goalkeepers and kickers. We show for the first time, that this observation has great explanatory power for actual behavior.

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=988698#PaperDownload
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 07:11:25 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Penalties: Kick dem right down de middle, or not?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 09:22:44 PM »
very interesting article!

dont know how to put it but Butt said it good enuff about kicking down the middle
as a keeper it is difficult to stay in the middle and react just to the ball
sometimes it is possible...
not such a easy save to make

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 10:13:40 PM »
somebody should show d english football team this article :devil:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 10:33:37 PM »
Long time I ent read a nice informative article on the forum...

Thanks breds.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 05:16:05 AM »
Yeah,
real nice article.

As the designated penalty taker for my college, i used to think about it quite a bit, and practise many different scenarios all the time.
My personal opinion is that it kinda depends on the quality of the game u are playing in.

If u playing inter-class football, or maybe even up to intercol level football in Trini, kicking down the middle might be a real bad idea, as the keeprs are not really that developed and good enough to start choosing corners and believing in their abilities. They usually tend to rely on a reaction dive after the kick. I have seen kicks stright down the middle and the keeper just voom kick it straight back at the penalty taker....
When u step up to a higher level of playing and the keepers get better, they use mind games, look at players run up, do their homework etc etc on the opposing teams and most of the time will make a calculated guess as to which corner. The kickers themselves at this level of the game are technically good enough to choose a corner, disguise their approach and actually execute the kick to beat the keeper.
As a result, kicking down the middle is a better option now, as the keeper is more likely to commit.

I personally used to practise everyday to hit them in the bottom coner, either side, aiming to place it between the upright and the supporting back post. I believed that if I practised enough, I could do it very good and no keeper at the level at which I was playing could have a chance of even touching it. I used March Van Basten as my role model for the technique, even the little hop and thing before he started off. Once I tried with the Gueseppi Signori style (the standing over the ball and just swinging to kick it, but I think he was the only person in the world blessed with such technique and strength). I NEVER tried kicking a penalty down the middle, I guess it supports piece of the article's findings that we are very reluctant to do it.
I guess its the chance of kicking it down the middle and the keeper saving it and the feeling that invokes - people will then say that man can't kick penalties, versus the taking a very good penalty and the keeper pulling off a brilliant save...At least u dont look as bad...
One thing i do know though is that the more people take penalties down the middle, the easier it gets for people like me who choose sides, as keepers will now have another likley scenario to think about = hesitation, and if u hit it good in the corner, it is as good as over.

I see a lot of players now going to the corner, but higher than in the past, I guess a rsult of keepers getting taller and better stoppers of the traditional, low, corner-directed kicks. That kick takes a lot more practise though, as u have to lean back more, which results in decreased accuracy.

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 01:17:16 PM »
Although new behavior in a role may become legitimate, it need not be perceived as acceptable as the traditional one. More specifically, our study strongly suggests that a shot or even goal to the middle is evaluated differently than a shot or goal to a corner by both, goalkeepers and kickers. We show for the first time, that this observation has great explanatory power for actual behavior.

This part at the end stood out to me. Besides penalties, a goal might be a goal, but in terms of the way we evaluate goals there are 'good goals' and 'scrappy goals' etc. They all count for the same thing but we definitely differentiate between them.

We even extend it to game from a wider perspective - We've all seen the 'better team' lose. Or we all value the style of play. But in actuality the game is about who wins and who loses, who scores more than the other.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 01:34:31 PM »
Yeah,
real nice article.

As the designated penalty taker for my college, i used to think about it quite a bit, and practise many different scenarios all the time.
My personal opinion is that it kinda depends on the quality of the game u are playing in.

If u playing inter-class football, or maybe even up to intercol level football in Trini, kicking down the middle might be a real bad idea, as the keeprs are not really that developed and good enough to start choosing corners and believing in their abilities. They usually tend to rely on a reaction dive after the kick. I have seen kicks stright down the middle and the keeper just voom kick it straight back at the penalty taker....
When u step up to a higher level of playing and the keepers get better, they use mind games, look at players run up, do their homework etc etc on the opposing teams and most of the time will make a calculated guess as to which corner. The kickers themselves at this level of the game are technically good enough to choose a corner, disguise their approach and actually execute the kick to beat the keeper.
As a result, kicking down the middle is a better option now, as the keeper is more likely to commit.

I personally used to practise everyday to hit them in the bottom coner, either side, aiming to place it between the upright and the supporting back post. I believed that if I practised enough, I could do it very good and no keeper at the level at which I was playing could have a chance of even touching it. I used March Van Basten as my role model for the technique, even the little hop and thing before he started off. Once I tried with the Gueseppi Signori style (the standing over the ball and just swinging to kick it, but I think he was the only person in the world blessed with such technique and strength). I NEVER tried kicking a penalty down the middle, I guess it supports piece of the article's findings that we are very reluctant to do it.
I guess its the chance of kicking it down the middle and the keeper saving it and the feeling that invokes - people will then say that man can't kick penalties, versus the taking a very good penalty and the keeper pulling off a brilliant save...At least u dont look as bad...
One thing i do know though is that the more people take penalties down the middle, the easier it gets for people like me who choose sides, as keepers will now have another likley scenario to think about = hesitation, and if u hit it good in the corner, it is as good as over.

I see a lot of players now going to the corner, but higher than in the past, I guess a rsult of keepers getting taller and better stoppers of the traditional, low, corner-directed kicks. That kick takes a lot more practise though, as u have to lean back more, which results in decreased accuracy.

Good stuff Trini..

Maybe I can give the perspective from the other side of the equation.. the goalkeeper..

I've been told that I'm pretty good when it comes to saving penalty kicks, and I think its because of the way in which I try to weigh up each kicker and situation before making a decision of whether to guess, which corner to choose and whether i should hold position etc.. Thinking it through increases the probability of making the right decision.

Interesting point you made about assessing the quality of the game and the opponents..

In fete match football, its my experience that a high majority of players are unable to place a penalty kick directly in a corner on a consistent basis. This might be different from a competitive game where you play against players who actually practice taking kicks and are at a higher level. So first thing is to assess who kicking the ball.

Looking at a player sometimes you can get an idea of 'wha he have to offer', not only in terms of technical ability, but you want to check if he looking nervous or edgy. Sometimes I might even engage in some shit talk to throw the kicker's concentration off. Also move around plenty on the goal line to distract the kicker.

If I think a player not looking like he could slap in a corner with conviction, I will hold my position and wait to the last second to see where he going and kick, and maybe even wait to see where the ball going after it done kick.

If I have to guess, I try to look at the kicker's stance and see what angle he's approachign the ball from. If he takes up a straight, narrow angle run up, i know he's probably going across my body because its difficult to open your stance at the last minute to place in the other corner. So for a right footer I'd go to my right. Conversely if he takes up a wide angled run up then I might be more inclined to go to my left if he's kicking with an open body.

Sometimes yuh get ah fatman or strong man just taking a long run up behind the ball and you could assume he looking to blast it. So I'd hold my stance.

Sometimes you get clues by looking in the player's eyes to see where he thinking of kicking it. The Portuguese keeper Ricardo is an expert at this.

Penalties place in the high corners are virtually impossible to save but also difficult to kick because if it doesnt get enough height, it is the perfect saving height and if it gets too much height is overbars.

just my 2 cents from a different viewpoint.

Offline Tha G.

• Sr. Warrior
  • Anytime is trini time, cyah wait to buss ah lime
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 09:56:15 PM »
As ah good penalty taker you cyah be afraid to miss the ocational penalty, but, your confidence is 75% of the penalty, and skill in placing it exactly where you want it and with the right kinda power to match. I used to like when the goalie dancing round he goal line and try to syke me out, and when yuh just go through your normal motions and crack ah bullet about halfway up the height of the upright and he just standup, what a sweet feeling. De wickedest penalty I ever see was Dwane Demmin from arima. run from half line at full speed and leh go ah rocket and the goalie just breaks fuh he life.  He never look at what de ball do, he was just breaksing fuh he life :rotfl:

Offline Jay10

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 10:20:24 PM »
as Yorke said : run up and hit it as hard as you can. If the keeper saves it, it has to be a damn good save...

But in today's game, once you dont go top corner, if the gk chooses the right side, chances are he will save it.

1]; } ?>