April 27, 2024, 12:08:33 AM

Author Topic: Pele: Drug-Cheat Maradona Should Have Medals Stripped  (Read 4529 times)

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Pele: Drug-Cheat Maradona Should Have Medals Stripped
« on: April 21, 2008, 08:01:28 AM »
Brazilian great Pele has hit out at his archenemy Diego Maradona in a controversial interview, saying that the Argentine legend was not a complete player, and stating that he should have his medals stripped for drug offences.

A favourite debate among football fans has always been who was greater out of Pele and Maradona.

This topic has had extra spice due to the fact that the pair do not get on, and indeed have been at loggerheads for many years.

Both have attacked each other in the press in the past, with Pele often criticising Maradona on moral grounds, while the Argentine has hit out at the Brazilian for being part of FIFA’s “political” family.

Pele has now surely begun another war of words between the two.

"Maradona was an excellent player,” ‘The King’ told Brazilian newspaper ‘O Estado de Sao Paulo’. 

“However he could not dribble with his right foot, he couldn’t head the ball. He was not a complete player. 

“I liked very much his compatriot Alfredo Di Stefano. He was better than Maradona. He was more complete, he was faster, and he scored more goals.”

Pele once again hit out at Maradona’s drug abuse, and controversially stated that he should have all the medals he won stripped away from him.

"Why did so many Olympic athletes lose their medals when they were found guilty of doping, but not Maradona?” Pele controversially asked.

Maradona had a well-known addiction to cocaine, however he never took performance-enhancing drugs.

Anthony Sormani

http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=667318
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Pele: Drug-Cheat Maradona Should Have Medals Stripped
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 08:17:06 AM »
Why these fellas so?  This is so poor!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 08:35:55 AM »
Pele just want to stand out as the world's best by himself.

I see the editor saying Maradona had a well-known addiction to cocaine, however he never took performance-enhancing drugs.

Was he not banned in the '94 WC for using a cocktail of performance enhancers ?
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

truetrini

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 08:39:00 AM »
Pele sounding like ah bitch...in fact he as whiney as dat Dutch shit hound Wim.

giggsy11

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 08:53:25 AM »
Why can't he retire in grace and let sh!t go? Why does he have tuh tear the man down to make his point and why does he feel so strongly about this? How has Diego Armando Maradona's experiences/ situations has affected him or taken away from Pele? It just continues to prove that because they excelled at their sport it does not mean they ain't capable of pettiness, jealousy and biasness. Makes one wonder how happy he is with his life and him self..

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 09:10:30 AM »

I see the editor saying Maradona had a well-known addiction to cocaine, however he never took performance-enhancing drugs.

Years after the '94 WC there is no scientific consensus that, strictly speaking, ephedrine is performance enhancing.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 09:25:53 AM »
And the thing is..Pele and Diego had pubicly made up on Diego's show. Well hugging up and raising ball together. Singing together. A real pappy show. heheh

Pele hadda stop talking to the press. He does get bait too easy into making stupid comments. One thing though..Diego did take perfromance enhancing drugs in WC 1994. So from that point of view, Pele at the very least, makes an interesting observation between the difference in standards of the IOC, which will strip medals from a relay team if one member is foundy guilty of taking drugs, and FIFA, which tends to punish the individual. Not saying I agree with him, but it's is a legit topic for debate.

In the end..I cyah hate on Pele for continualy dissing Maradona  :devil: :devil: The Argentine admitted to drugging Branco and trying to drug other Brazilian players by giving them tainted water on the field during WC 1990. Never substantiated and completely denied by others. But the story was given credibility by coach Bilardo who at first refused to deny the story, but then joined the rest in decryng Diego's comments. Maybe Diego was in a drug enduced stupor and getting kicks, but he pointed out exactly when they drugged Branco and showed film of the Brazilian losing his bearings and laughed at the man on live TV. So, you tell me, if there is a small possibility of the truth in that, and Diego admitted to doing that to Latas in a WC, I sure it woulda be pure pure hate.......Especially if Latas (or Branco in reality) wasa ctually selected for a randm drug test after the game. Look how a man career and reputation coulda get destroyed.

So hate on Pele. Hate on. I cyah fault yuh dey at all. You are kind of an a$$ in plenty ways. but yuh is a patriot. man cyah admit to doing that to you nation and get a bligh.  :devil:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 09:37:26 AM by Filho »

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 09:28:20 AM »

Years after the '94 WC there is no scientific consensus that, strictly speaking, ephedrine is performance enhancing.

Man say he was taking the drug cocktail to lose weight rapidly. as far as i concerned, that also qualifies as performance enhancing...if that is the true reason and if you believe a slimmed down Diego is more effective than an overweight one.

edit: You are correct. Wrong of me to call it performance enhancing. But it is banned and Diego was allegedly using it as a short cut to indirectly help his performance.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 09:34:03 AM by Filho »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 09:28:39 AM »

Ephedrine is banned because it's a stimulant, not because it is "performance enhancing".

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 09:31:13 AM »
And the thing is..Pele and Diego had pubicly made up on Diego's show. Well hugging up and raising ball together. Singing together. A real pappy show. heheh

Dai'z de same thing I saying...I come here expecting to see some ole ass article.

Anyways Maradona and he cheating, drug-abusing self could go haul he mudda c**t fuh all I care.  Fack he and de horse he rode in on.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 09:35:53 AM »
Fu#k off Pele
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 09:40:54 AM »
Fu#k off Pele

Nah man. Pele have every right to hate on Diego. Let Maradona admit to drugging Latas and tell me how any self respecting T&T fan should feel ?  :devil: :devil: ;D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AZC2IQr6OUg
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 09:56:31 AM by Filho »

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 09:54:55 AM »
Badness. Argentina go home.  Pele done talk.. :devil: :devil: :devil:
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 12:31:23 PM »
why pele n coach ah team

maradonna indeed wasnt complete but he was very damn good with that 1 foot

but where is the line drawn on performance enhancing drugs? there are over the counter stimulants that one may use some even daily hmmmm
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 12:38:32 PM by freakazoid »
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 12:39:11 PM »
why pele n coach ah team

maradonna indeed wasnt complete but he was very damn good with that 1 foot

but where is the line drawn on performance enhancing drugs? there are over the counter stimulants that one may use some even daily hmmmm

:rotfl:

I find that hilarious for some reason.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 01:01:55 PM »
Pele need to give credit where it is due.  Mara was ah boss.  Does Mara attack Pele's footballing prowess, or does he simply vilify him because he is cosy with the Fifa big whigs.  Anyone?

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 01:36:17 PM »
Pele need to give credit where it is due.  Mara was ah boss.  Does Mara attack Pele's footballing prowess, or does he simply vilify him because he is cosy with the Fifa big whigs.  Anyone?

Pele well know Diego was ah boss. Pele protecting his image by constantly promoting himself as the greatest ever. Tacky stuff, but that is how he has protected his legacy as well as created a fortune post-reteirement. Why you think there are millions of people who will tell yuh Pele is the best ever and he retired before they were born. Not to take away anything from the great Brazilian's playing career, but to remain in the collective conscience so long after ruling the roost was no accident. His post-playing career is a carefully crafted, highly effective marketing campaign. of course it is doubly effective cuz he really was a genious on the pitch. Allyuh think Becks is a marketing icon. Pele is the grandaddy of them all.

Maradona doing the same thing, but doesn't need to sell himself as much cuz he is from a younger generation and is automatically fresher in the collective consceince of the masses. Diedo is revelling in being the voice of the anti-establishment. You get the feeling he is being genuine, but make no mistake his advisors make sure he plays it up. Plus his well documented health problems actually kept him in the limelight and garnered a lot of public sympathy. Locking horns with Pele serves them both well in an age where their legacies are worth more to them than any money.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 01:37:50 PM »

Maradona eh schupid...he arms too short tuh box with god.

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 01:44:34 PM »
May be is because ah grew up looking at Maradona play ball, but in my book, he is de best  ever. Ronaldinho have some time still tuh accomplish what Maradona, and may be evn more than him. Pele was great,  ah saw many tapes on him, but as Big Mag said f&^k off Pele. Ah doh support or keep any company dat does do hard drugs, to each his own doh, so de cocaine thing wid Maradona, ah doh rate dat.

It is easy fuh de critics tuh bring down Maradona, but we should ask ourselves one question, if I was young and had the football world at my feet like Maradona, cud I survive this and come out clean (no drugs, no prostitutes, no enhancing drugs, etc) at de end of my playing career? However, Pele said Maradona had one foot, cah head de ball, cool. Well fuh ah man dat cah do all ah dat, he surely had men eating grass at club and international level. Ah doh support Argentinians cuz dey are a bunch of racist, but good lawd, dey does produce some world class talent, yuh have tuh give dem dat. HIGHLY BLESSED.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 02:03:51 PM by SUPA »
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

truetrini

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2008, 01:53:49 PM »
Maradona have he own religion  eh eh..arms too short tuh box with God, and he is ah god too?

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2008, 02:44:57 PM »
yeah i thought maradonna was better until i saw a pele compliation .  pele complete package, maradonna 1 foot genius

ah nearly type madonna yes  ;D
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 02:51:38 PM by freakazoid »
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2008, 04:19:18 PM »
Both men are now part and parcel of History. They should let sleeping dogs lay, sit back and enjoy the stars of today.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2008, 04:23:17 PM »
They are from a different eras. Diego have the benefit of the doubt because he was from the TV era. All his games were broadcast world wide. Worldwide audiences were able to see Diego weekly on TV. But we hardly see Pele's performances. Only short clips.  

Another thing, Diego played in Europe at his prime. Pele play in the US below his prime. I choose Pele because there were few black players to identify with(not that I did not like white players like Best, Charlton, Beck, Riva, Rivera) . It was not like present day, you see players of all races and nationalities playing all over the world. You can now make "comparisons".

It is easy for the people who came of age in the mid -sixties to have a little more sentiment for Pele. That does not mean they don't like Diego. In their prime, Pele, Diego, Cruyff, Best were all "perfect". well almost perfect.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2008, 04:44:06 PM »
Pele peeps will always say dat u were u were d greatest player but oh gorm he could whine
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2008, 05:47:26 PM »

Dai'z de same thing I saying...I come here expecting to see some ole ass article.

Anyways Maradona and he cheating, drug-abusing self could go haul he mudda c**t fuh all I care.  Fack he and de horse he rode in on.
show some love nah bredda,doh hate,btw,de horse was shilton in 86. :rotfl: :rotfl:
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2008, 07:11:17 PM »
well said Observer...

anyone see " Hand of God " the movie...it real cool...
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2008, 06:09:50 AM »
Did they had drug testing in Pele playing days? When that question get answered, I'll comment further.
Stupidity is an elemental force for which no earthquake is a match."
-Karl Kraus

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2008, 08:58:41 AM »
Drug testin at d 76 olympics I believe so I will say no d great 1 was not tested
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2008, 09:45:38 AM »
my sentiment is that Pele should just takke the high road and cruise into his place in football history, saying as little as possible but Filho, your last swing of the hammer really hit the nail squarely on the head. Bot' ah dem is a setta smart man. Let dem carry on wit dey money-makin schemes! ;D

:beermug: :beermug:

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2008, 10:07:54 AM »
http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Sports/2004/04/01/report_germans_drugged_in_54_world_cup/9978/print_view/

Since there were no drug testing back then, We dont know who did what.
Stupidity is an elemental force for which no earthquake is a match."
-Karl Kraus

1]; } ?>