March 28, 2024, 10:26:34 AM

Author Topic: Wrexham go out of Football League  (Read 3239 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Wrexham go out of Football League
« on: April 22, 2008, 05:04:09 PM »
Wrexham go out of Football League
BBC Sport  

Brian Little could not save Wrexham from the drop

Wrexham's 87-year stay in the Football League came to an end after going down 2-0 at promotion-chasing Hereford.

Gary Hooper broke the deadlock after hitting the Dragons on the break three minutes before half-time.

The home side doubled their lead on the hour when Wrexham's offside trap was beaten and Richard Rose crossed for Theo Robinson to fire home.

The win boosts Hereford's hopes of gaining automatic promotion to League One, but sends Wrexham down.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
Re: Wrexham go out of Football League
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 05:27:32 PM »
hard luck span and josh

this team was a launchpad to alot of men career in england and has provided employment for alot of others

blessings wrexham
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 08:38:23 PM »
Hard luck dey Wrexham. Spann boi come home 2 WC make a good life 4 u and d wifey
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 10:43:51 PM »
what a shame
dem fellas NEED to fire that agent

truetrini

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 07:49:13 AM »
what a shame

what dey agent do?   He get dem contracts and dey eh perform.  eh eh

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 07:52:27 AM »
what a shame

You're suggesting they're too good for a team they couldn't make the bench for?

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 08:14:57 AM »
Hard luck dey Wrexham. Spann boi come home 2 WC make a good life 4 u and d wifey

I doh know bout that. Apparently Wrexham is a sound club Financially and now that the Blue Sq Premier have a TV deal with Setanta there is more money in the Conference, so even though Spann & Johnson bound to take a drop in salary they probably would still earn more than if they went back to the PFL. Standard of living is a separate issue, but it cheaper to live in Wales than London.

Having said that.....I doubt Wrexham will want to keep Two players that have made 8 starts and about 12 sub appearances between them all season. I feel sorry for Spann as he joined a crap team, midseason, playing a style of Football alien to him, so he had little chance of shining especially as he had to adapt FAST. I know some say he is overated as a player anyhow, but having seen Wrexham play (badly!!) the only critisism I could dish out is that of a poor career move, otherwise I have nothing but sympathy for him. Additionally, I also thought some of the critisism coming from the Wrexham faithful about him was narrow minded and unecessary. Still, if yuh take a gamble yuh should always be aware  that things may not go your way.

As for Johnson...no sympathy, he had ample chances to establish himself and failed to make them count. Regardless, all the best in the future to Spann, Johnson and Wrexham.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 08:17:52 AM »
So since he make 8 starts come home 2 WC
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 08:23:35 AM »
What I find interesting is that this season alot o clubs where Trini players left have either been relegated or battling the drop:

Wrexham
Port Vale
Luton
Southampton

Gillingham (struggling, but that eh nothing new)
Attraction of the Mind gives Respect.
Attraction of the Heart gives Friendship.
Attraction of the Body gives Desire.

Attraction of all Three of them at once …
gives Love.

[

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 08:47:43 AM »
Intresting observations

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 08:54:29 AM »
what a shame

That Spann can't break into Wrexham squad is a bit of a surprise to me. I don't know too much about Wrexham and the quality of their team but from what I've seen from Spann I thought he would be good enough to succeed at that level. Is it a style thing or has Spann's form just dipped that much?

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 08:59:21 AM »
what a shame

That Spann can't break into Wrexham squad is a bit of a surprise to me. I don't know too much about Wrexham and the quality of their team but from what I've seen from Spann I thought he would be good enough to succeed at that level.Is it a style thing or has Spann's form just dipped that much?
A little of both, most likely.

Probably would have fared better in some league one team like Swansea that like to pass the ball around.

Offline trineeborne

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 09:37:37 AM »

I doh know bout that. Apparently Wrexham is a sound club Financially and now that the Blue Sq Premier have a TV deal with Setanta there is more money in the Conference, so even though Spann & Johnson bound to take a drop in salary they probably would still earn more than if they went back to the PFL. Standard of living is a separate issue, but it cheaper to live in Wales than London.

Having said that.....I doubt Wrexham will want to keep Two players that have made 8 starts and about 12 sub appearances between them all season. I feel sorry for Spann as he joined a crap team, midseason, playing a style of Football alien to him, so he had little chance of shining especially as he had to adapt FAST. I know some say he is overated as a player anyhow, but having seen Wrexham play (badly!!) the only critisism I could dish out is that of a poor career move, otherwise I have nothing but sympathy for him. Additionally, I also thought some of the critisism coming from the Wrexham faithful about him was narrow minded and unecessary. Still, if yuh take a gamble yuh should always be aware  that things may not go your way.

As for Johnson...no sympathy, he had ample chances to establish himself and failed to make them count. Regardless, all the best in the future to Spann, Johnson and Wrexham.
there is so much i could say about wrexham but i won't i'd rather leave you lot to think and say what you like. :devil:

Offline trineeborne

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 09:39:30 AM »
what a shame

That Spann can't break into Wrexham squad is a bit of a surprise to me. I don't know too much about Wrexham and the quality of their team but from what I've seen from Spann I thought he would be good enough to succeed at that level. Is it a style thing or has Spann's form just dipped that much?

there is nothing wrong with spann or josh the problem is wrexham.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 06:19:31 PM by palos »

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 10:00:58 AM »

From what I've seen, his inability to break into the squad is more to do with his style and lack of experience (playing in the UK). To me Spann always seemed like a player that can be quite creative, but to do so when in possession; needs to be given time on the ball, also he is more of a dead ball player. Before I had seen him play I always got the impression from the local based that he was more of a defensive Midfielder but by UK standards this aint really true. Problem is the lower you go in the English leagues the more success is about physicality rather than ability, midfield play is more about covering ground (i.e. supporting attacks and defenders), winning the ball, getting it wide. IMO for a player like Spann to have succeeded in DIV 2, he would have had to be in a team that was actively trying to make space for him to produce, at Wrexham he has just been expected to produce at deadball situations and play a typical UK lower league midfield role and he dosen't really fit that bill....at least not yet! (If ever!). The onus has been more on, dumping him in the team and expecting him to produce rather than his teamates helping create oppertunities that allow him to produce, they didn't seem to have the standard of player to help do that anyway. When UK teams are struggling in the league they usually try to play the tried and trusted way; tight formation, organised defensively, fairly direct style and NO FANCY STUFF. Due to the limited ability of the current Wrexham squad it was always unlikely the Spann would ever 'look good' playing in that team. To be honest whichever of the managers it was that persued Spann, I'm amazed they signed him as he was never going to effectively fill the role they wanted for him in such a short space of time. You did'nt need to be blessed with the vision of Harry Redknapp or Sam Allardyce to figure that out.

Trineebourne doh hold back give us an insight.....my opinion is based as an outsider looking in I have no idea what goes on at the club/training ground/dressing room.

Offline kentsoulman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 10:52:55 AM »
What I find interesting is that this season alot o clubs where Trini players left have either been relegated or battling the drop:

Wrexham
Port Vale
Luton
Southampton

Gillingham (struggling, but that eh nothing new)

Thing is, its got nothing to do with the Trini boys!

I think much of the problem is new managers inheriting a squad they can't get the best from.

Port Vale should have done much better this season. They bought some players who were good enough to stay in league 1, but then a new manager chose not to play them. Tey had also sold some of their better players in the close season, such as Birchall.

Luton had the points deduction to deal with and started the season with 28 first team players. They sold the best and this unbalanced the side. Given the chance to start with zero points insted of a minus and a tight squad of 20 players, they may have performed differently.

Gillingham let too many players go on free transfers in close season. Sancho would have carried on his solid performance, while, Flynn has done well at Blackpool, Jackman has been solid at Northampton and Johnson has been ever present at Wycombe. Also, deciding that Kelvin Jack would not be played in a single match when you have the second worst defence in the league is crazy. They were heading for mid table stability when Jepson went and they brought in a Blue Square manager who set about dismantling the team in preperation for relegation! 9 Blue Square conference players were brought in and experienced players such as Lomas, Sodje and Armstrong were shipped out. Then they let go of Cox!

Southampton just can't seem to get it right, yet Stern has scored something like 18 goals in 26 matches. Outstanding! Again, the change in management has left a manager unable to get the best from someone elses squad.

Same problem with Wrexham. Unfortunately, these guys need a preseason to get their squads right and offload those that can't play their style. Maybe there should be a "transfer" window that only allows change of managers from May to July!

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 04:55:39 PM »
I didn't say it had anything to do with the Trini guys. I just noticed over the weekend that the teams at the bottom of the tables all had Trini players who left (even Southampton, as Jones left).
Attraction of the Mind gives Respect.
Attraction of the Heart gives Friendship.
Attraction of the Body gives Desire.

Attraction of all Three of them at once …
gives Love.

[

Offline kentsoulman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 06:16:23 PM »
I didn't say it had anything to do with the Trini guys. I just noticed over the weekend that the teams at the bottom of the tables all had Trini players who left (even Southampton, as Jones left).

You just got me thinking about what you said and I guess I just put those thoughts down!!

1]; } ?>