March 28, 2024, 02:07:34 PM

Author Topic: Tread carefully, Ato  (Read 3343 times)

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Tread carefully, Ato
« on: April 23, 2008, 05:51:15 AM »
Trinidad Express article gives wise advise to Ato.
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_sports?id=161313615

Ato, boy, your credibility is on the line here.

You love the sport of track and field, and we all know how passionate you are about catching the cheats and how much pride you take in proclaiming yourself as someone who has achieved so much while resisting the temptation to take the shortcut through banned performance-enhancing substances.

Still, in the rush to prove your innocence, you have to be careful not to false-start. Everyone assumes that an anonymous letter referred to by The Observer newspaper of London at the weekend came from you, lambasting as it did your former training partner Maurice Greene and coach John Smith following damning evidence by a Mexican middleman that he had supplied drugs to Greene in 2003 and 2004, and was paid around US$40,000, with copies of bank transfers to prove it.

It may have been an instantaneous lashing out to distance yourself from those two, but you shouldn't be surprised that the cynics are out in full force now, implying that it is almost impossible for you to be so tight with those fellas for so long and not, at the very least, know what was going on. And it's not just the run-of-the-mill conspiracy theorists but respected personalities in the sport who are causing furrowed brows with their suppositions.

Writing in The Guardian newspaper of London yesterday, this is part of what Steve Cram had to say in a piece headlined "Balco, Boldon (see, they pull you in already), Graham, Greene... stand by for the naming of names" in response to what is generally accepted to be your angry outburst in defence of your reputation:

"But what and who can you believe? Athletes have always been quick to accuse rivals of duplicity when failing to realise that in bedrooms along the corridor their own names were being spoken of in similar terms."

Britain's former 1,500-metre world champion, now a highly-regarded athletics correspondent and commentator for the BBC, doesn't leave it at that, though.

I'm sure you're aware of this article already, so it's no point telling you to brace yourself:

"Any performance slipping into the top-ten all-time list has always been met with admiration and suspicion. In 1997, I was flying back to Tyneside after the Stockholm grand prix meeting in July. The star had been Boldon who had a stunning double victory in the 100m and 200m with only about an hour between races, considered to be the quickest double in one evening, 9.95 for the 100 and 19.82 for the 200m with Greene hot on his heels.

"That night Carl Lewis ran an anchor relay leg as part of his farewell tour. He pulled me aside in the airport and without naming names he accused current athletes of diminishing the achievements of the likes of myself and Seb Coe and most importantly himself. He was prepared to go public, he had evidence, he said. I reminded him that many had pointed the finger at his own performances which he dismissed out of hand. His anger must have subsided and in due time his own name did surface some years later in an alleged cover-up by the US Olympic Committee."

If your blood is boiling right now, Ato, cool down first before you contemplate your next course of action. Don't do or say something in the heat of the moment that you will subsequently regret. If you're innocent, as you've always stated you are, then the truth will bear you out and any highly-emotional responses will more than likely be interpreted as a desperate man trying to take in front before in front takes him, especially as that Mexican middleman, former athlete Angel Guillermo Heredia, and Trevor Graham, disgraced former coach of disgraced American sprinter Marion Jones, are expected to name names when they testify at the latest stage of the Balco drugs scandal enquiry in San Francisco, beginning May 19.

Cram is one of those people fearing the worst:

"The name-calling now looks likely to reach new heights, this time under oath. It is to be welcomed but it will certainly not be enjoyable... the vultures will be hovering over athletics next month..."

Greene, who triggered this latest angle to the scandal, has since tried, unconvincingly, to backtrack from this comment he gave to another London newspaper, The Telegraph, more than a week ago:

"I would pay for stuff and not care what it was," he told the newspaper in an apparent defence in the face of evidence that he has had financial dealings with Heredia. "I've paid for things for other people without questioning it, done it plenty of times."

If nothing else, those remarks confirm that it is possible to become the best in the world in a particular endeavour and make tons of money without being too bright. Greene seems to have drowned himself and his reputation, but as the ripples of his eye-opening revelation widen, it will not be surprising if he seeks to pull a few down with him.

So, Ato, tread carefully and keep in mind that there was only one man who it was said could walk on water. This is about much more than lucrative deals as an expert analyst with the big-time television networks or coaching stints with countries whose governments are swimming in money.

It is about your reputation, something that will stay with you long after the glitz and the glory are gone.

-fazeer2001@hotmail.com

Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Marlon

• Sr. Warrior
  • Who the cap fit, let them wear it.
    • View Profile
Re: Tread carefully, Ato
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 06:36:59 AM »
This thing look like it about to get nasty and personal.

Keep your head high Ato, and continue representing us with the dignity and passion that you are known for.

Bless

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 07:02:21 AM »
ato HAS BEEN M.I.A on this board in the past few days hmmmm
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

truetrini

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 09:57:15 AM »

qucik...take weary with yuh and go find him.

He must be hiding out ent?

Maybe he scared?  Maybe he guikty? Maybe yuh farse no arse.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 01:35:38 PM »
never a dull moment on this forum
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 02:35:17 PM »
Yes, hiding in plain sight. Months I ent post. Is de "shame" nuh.

Imagine what would be the case if anyone had verified if I had actually written this letter that has been attributed to me, or if Heredia OR ANY ONE ELSE had actually called my name anywhere in their federal testimony.

Let the corbeaux circle overhead if they want. 

May 19th coming.  Line up now.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 02:44:53 PM »

Maybe he scared? Maybe he guikty? Maybe yuh farse no arse.

kettle and de pot..

you accusing people of being farse on a public discussion forum??  :rotfl:

truetrini

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 04:47:36 PM »

kettle and de pot..

You and triniman llike to convict people in de court ah public opinion...without evidence

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 05:43:31 PM »

kettle and de pot..

You and triniman llike to convict people in de court ah public opinion...without evidence

you like to do the same too, but because is ato you trying to give him a pseudo bly.

Personally, I believe he wrote that letter but I could fully understand why he would deny it or "duck and run" from it given the obvious ramifications. This going to court this is a serious matter.

If thats not the case and I wrong, then somebody have some serious time on their hands and extremely creative to come up with something as believable as that.

like i said, if anything the contents of the letter distances him from any part in the disgrace and the sham. I will always respect Ato as one of my country's greatest heros and a true pioneer and trendsetter in the field, and who knows; he might even get a due gold medal out of all of this.  I also feel for what he is going through as betrayal is a terribly difficult thing to deal with.

however, i dont feel like i should have to run from having an opinion on the issue of the letter just because...

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 07:25:36 PM »
Until there is evidence to the contrary, I believe every word Ato say! (Yes, he has not publicly spoken on this matter.)

Just watch you back, Ato.  In this word of technology, concocted evidence and blatant lies despite the threat of perjury is sure to surface as men try to cover their bare butts. Ato, just get you lawyer and say not a word, because the sharks are waiting to grap every word you utter, parse it and spin it and make it look and sound like something you never said or meant.  But ah sure yuh know all that already.  And don't take the biat of inquisitive forumites.  Just shut up for now!

truetrini

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 08:34:29 PM »
I try them in public....?  I state facts.  If informing about facts is convicting den I guilty...if not den I feel I not guilty.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 08:47:21 PM »
If Ato was taking roids ,Greene couldn ta beat him ......any way I hope he like he partner Yorke naturally good ,have ha Malta Carib .
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 08:48:57 PM by Quagmire »

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 01:33:19 AM »
I try them in public....?  I state facts.  If informing about facts is convicting den I guilty...if not den I feel I not guilty.

What is the facts about Wim oh most rationable one?

truetrini

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 05:43:03 AM »

What is the facts about Wim oh most rationable one?

ahhh wim verbally assaulted and attempted to intimidate Lincoln Phillips.  He has not denied the allegations thus far. 

Wim say we is ah nation who like tuh lime under coconut trees and drink rum...unadulterated bullshit.

Wim abused the U-17 players in Korea telling them that they are no good.....I got that from several of the players and I happen to have heard it from some officials.

Wm refused to play certain games becasue he thought we would lose...coward and no confidence

Wim is ah c**t

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 06:47:28 AM »
TrueTrini,

Since Al site mash up, if you want to talk economics, politics etc, just go to the "Sports, econ & Politics forum". the link can be found at the foot of the page of the Carib track forum.

truetrini

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 07:14:37 AM »
cool

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2008, 07:19:21 PM »
If he din write de letter den he have nuff money to get from de slander law suit tuh follow, right ?Ah mean if yuh eh write nuttin and yuh name calling,if yuh not guilty and there is absolutely no truth to what they claim ,then this is a clear case of slander.So we shud be hearing bout de lawsuit soon ...right  ? But if yuh know yuh guilty buh hopin yuh name eh call in de nitty gritty a favorable response most likely will be..
 ''  Yes, hiding in plain sight. Months I ent post. Is de "shame" nuh.

Imagine what would be the case if anyone had verified if I had actually written this letter that has been attributed to me, or if Heredia OR ANY ONE ELSE had actually called my name anywhere in their federal testimony.

Let the corbeaux circle overhead if they want. 

May 19th coming.  Line up now
..... :devil: :devil:

First of alll ,Corbeaux does only circle dead or slowly dying athletes careers things.

Even if ah give Ato de benefit of de doubt dat he eh write de letter, yuh really want big man tuh believe Green was dirty and he 'main man ' din know NUTTIN.?? Steupppss ...
For ah man dat like tuh slaughter he fellow athletes whenever dey name surface around drugs I have no sympathy ,what goes around comes around.Now he might see how it feels to be be one the other end ah de stick,He does be de fuss one tuh gloat and find man guilty at the whisper of drugs...SO  what good for de goose good for de gander,why shud dis be any different ,just becuz is Ato  ??? ??? ...STEUPPPPSSSSSSS !! 

QUACK !! QUAAACK !! QUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK !!!!!
Sniff Sniff ...If it smell like ah duck,Walk like ah duck,Shit like ah duck...it eh no f**kkin manicou IS AH MUDDA c**t DUCK !!! QUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK !!!!!  :devil: :devil:

« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 10:19:03 PM by berris »
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2008, 08:55:40 PM »
TrueTrini,

Since Al site mash up, if you want to talk economics, politics etc, just go to the "Sports, econ & Politics forum". the link can be found at the foot of the page of the Carib track forum.

No invite for me. Without Al site.. ah gone back to cuddling meh wife.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2008, 05:09:32 PM »
Yes, Berris, you walk and talk like a duck; so I know who you are.  Just another "fan" (excuse the use of that word) who has his agenda and is obviously judge, jury and executioner.  No reason to wait on the vital information from the case.  You already know it all - the evidence and the outcome. 

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2008, 06:55:14 PM »
Yes, Berris, you walk and talk like a duck; so I know who you are.  Just another "fan" (excuse the use of that word) who has his agenda and is obviously judge, jury and executioner.  No reason to wait on the vital information from the case.  You already know it all - the evidence and the outcome. 

I have an agenda ? No is called an opinion ? And plesae quote meh wey I say he guilty.All yuh does geh tie up oui,dis is ah talk yuh talk forum,you talk yours I talk mine.You feel they going and use my opinion in court tuh convict Ato of any wrong doing ? if so yuh is even ah bigger asshole than ah thought.....QUAAAAAAACK !!!!!

« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 07:19:09 PM by berris »
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2008, 11:52:26 AM »
No invite for me. Without Al site.. ah gone back to cuddling meh wife.

Who was cuddlin she while yuh was wit Al?  ??? 8)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

1]; } ?>