April 26, 2024, 03:03:08 AM

Author Topic: Dr Keith Rowley Thread.  (Read 119627 times)

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
Re: ROWLEY SACK
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2008, 10:08:35 AM »
... and things stable politically ent? Consider this a rhetorical question.

and this does not happen in England and in the USA?

Yes it is politically stable.  we have a democratic process and it will work as it usually does.

I beg to differ political system is flawed. Flaws highlighted by our political choices are limited to who is the lesser of two evils.

truetrini

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2008, 10:10:23 AM »

Yes it is politically stable.  we have a democratic process and it will work as it usually does.

I beg to differ political system is flawed. Flaws highlighted by our political choices are limited to who is the lesser of two evils.

But in which country that is not the standard?

In the UK?  In the US?  In Canada?  In India?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2008, 10:23:03 AM »
This is not the straw that will break the camel's back.

truetrini

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2008, 01:11:08 PM »

it is hardly a straw.

lol

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2008, 01:21:21 PM »

Standard maybe,
Does not mean it is not a flawed standard.
Additionally what the US, UK does is not beyond reproach.

truetrini

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2008, 01:37:41 PM »

Standard maybe,
Does not mean it is not a flawed standard.
Additionally what the US, UK does is not beyond reproach.

well I am well aware of that fact. I was asking for an alternative form of government but I see that you cannot come up with an example for I will move along.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2008, 04:15:14 PM »

Since it isn't... how then could this be a bellwether on political in/stability in TnT?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2008, 08:15:17 PM »
Nobody eh crossin d floor. D only way 2 unseat Patos is 4 d party groups 2 get rid of him
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2008, 08:30:13 PM »
My conclusion on this...Manning Bounce he head....BAD.

Synopsis of the chain of events:
UDECOTT meeting for discussion of the Centre of the Performing Arts.....with plans showing the presence of a 60 room hotel. Rowley asks the chair of the meeting to ask all members of media and external persons to leave the meeting. The chairman complies....after which Rowley proceeds to give the remaining persons a piece of his mind on the grounds that the hotel was not part of the original plans...and no record of the hotel being included on any previous documents. Manning was out of the country.

Manning returns...is informed of the matter...and according to him...conducted investigations. He called Rowley into his office and asked him for his side...Rowley is adamant that he did nothing wrong. Manning asks for Rowely's resgination.....Rowley refuses to comply. Manning then according to him....conducts a survey with 5 of the 8 ministers that were present at the meeting. According to the survey.....Mr. Rowley "behaved in a manner unbecoming of a minister" ..."acted like a hooligan and a wajang ( :rotfl:..hear nah...i cyar get over dat part...news and all print it..).."....etc etc etc. Manning decides not to mention the names of the ministers.  So Manning decides to fire Rowley.

Rowley maintains that he did not behave in any improper manner. He even goes as far as to ask for the ministers who's opinions were solicited to speak to him and explain to him what he did. He maintains that there was no mention of a 60 room hotel in the original plans...and no cabinet note makes mention of this being added. Manning maintains that the hotel was part of the original design...showing the press documents to corroborate these statements.

Eden Shand then decides to go to the Town and Country Planning Dept.....as many proceedures must be executed involving them in the construction of any hotel of that sort. Town and Country Planning has no record of any application of a hotel....much less any approval given for said hotel to be constructed. However...permission was granted for the original building WITHOUT the hotel.

So....something eh adding up.

How i seeing it...is that Manning maybe at the very least did this to pull rank and flex muscle....in a way of showing Rowley to know his place. Given their crossing ups over the years...it was just a matter of time. If you want to put maximum malice behind it......Manning could be trying to remove all challengers.....and Rowley is one that he wanted to be rid of long time now. But...with the Party convention due later on this year....with one of the posts up for election being political leader this might have some influence on the outcome. Given some slight festering of feelings since before the last general election...when certain people were sidelined......and this saga....and the appeal Rowley holds to the general PNM population......Manning might have a fight on his hands.
Looking at it from two perspectives....Rowley was either fired for being disrespectful.....when he demanded answers about something he deemed improper...........or he was fired because he was exposing something that many may have overlooked. Either way.....it eh looking too good on Manning part.

Play of the day:
Patrick Manning saying "Wajang" in the queen's english..... :rotfl:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 08:51:12 PM by Bourbon »
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2008, 08:36:17 PM »
D party groups will determine Maaning faith. Dappeal is wit d MP's leh we see how much appeal he have with d FAB
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2008, 09:09:43 PM »
As much as I try to be fair to Manning this sounding like some high grade backsidery going on here.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2008, 11:21:00 PM »

Since it isn't... how then could this be a bellwether on political in/stability in TnT?

This is a reflection of our political culture. Ultimately, it's our political culture that will contribute the elusive answers with respect to the matter of stability.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2008, 12:55:53 AM »

This is a reflection of our political culture. Ultimately, it's our political culture that will contribute the elusive answers with respect to the matter of stability.

So in short, instability is inherently a part of Trinidad politics (or governance if you will), because the problem of 'instability' is ingrained within our political culture?  I'm still missing a key element.  What is it about our 'political culture' that lends to what you term instability?  Is it that we are not serious enough about elections and governance...serious enough to care to expect more (as an electorate), serious enough to do more (as elected officials)?  Let me know if I'm off.  If not then this assessment is nothing new, I think we all agree there.

As far as how the instability is manifested, and why you think it a deterrent to foreign investment...is it your position that the instability stems from the fact that the governing party today can readily be replaced 5 years from now, and with them wiped away all governmental policies currently in existence? Is this the instability you reference?

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2008, 02:23:18 PM »

Great is the PNM and long shall it prevail.

Manning as safe as weary69 praying for the Wimp.

2 more kidnap and 1 pothole discovered and this disappearing from the landscape.

Trinidad is a joke that Manning still sculpting.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2008, 03:37:42 PM »
... Trinidad is a joke that Manning still sculpting.

fishs, de Raki serving yuh WELL! Fine observation. It go end up being an unfinished piece.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2008, 04:29:04 PM »

As far as how the instability is manifested, and why you think it a deterrent to foreign investment...is it your position that the instability stems from the fact that the governing party today can readily be replaced 5 years from now, and with them wiped away all governmental policies currently in existence? Is this the instability you reference?

It's my position that a government could be replaced in less than a mandated term by means informed by a vacuum of power. 

I am not too consumed with cosmetic negatives affecting direct foreign investment but, as I have stated, they can't be ignored.

What you describe is not unique to TT and is typically factored into many of the political risk models that are already in existence.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2008, 05:46:39 PM »
Maybe we need to change this Westminister style democracy. There should a constitutional change where the PM can only serve two consecutive 5 year terms. Who disagree??? or Agree!!!????

truetrini

« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2008, 06:45:10 PM »
2 four year terms will suffice.  And not jes consecutive, I mean in total.

term limits on ministers too....4 terms max fuh dem.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2008, 07:53:46 PM »
It's my position that a government could be replaced in less than a mandated term by means informed by a vacuum of power. 

I am not too consumed with cosmetic negatives affecting direct foreign investment but, as I have stated, they can't be ignored.

What you describe is not unique to TT and is typically factored into many of the political risk models that are already in existence.

I know it's not unique to TT...that would have been my next point.  Still awaiting your explanation though... I have no idea what "means informed by a vacuum of power" supposed to mean though.  Are you talking about an ineffective incumbent administration resulting in a functional vacuum, or are you talking about an absent administration, resulting in an actual vacuum.  Dispense wid de cryptic talk and say what yuh saying.

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2008, 08:16:25 PM »
Maybe we need to change this Westminister style democracy. There should a constitutional change where the PM can only serve two consecutive 5 year terms. Who disagree??? or Agree!!!????

A welcome change, suggestion of change instead condemnation
I agree that we should limit the number of terms the PM can serve.
With regards to the ministers the number of terms should not limited based on tenure but on their effectiveness.
The PM should be held accountable for the performance of the his appointees to minister portfolios each election.
Other than election there is no accountability to the populace in the present consitution (seems that way)

There is somthing to be said for the check inherent in the US goverment.

truetrini

« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2008, 08:19:21 PM »

A welcome change, suggestion of change instead condemnation
I agree that we should limit the number of terms the PM can serve.
With regards to the ministers the number of terms should not limited based on tenure but on their effectiveness.
The PM should be held accountable for the performance of the his appointees to minister portfolios each election.
Other than election there is no accountability to the populace in the present consitution (seems that way)

There is somthing to be said for the check inherent in the US goverment.

I totally agree especially in a small country like T&T where it is easy for a clique to become entrenched....deadly precedent

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2008, 05:21:34 PM »
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2008, 05:09:02 PM »
Despite the obvious anti PNM slant of the article. There are interestings facts presented in the following article.

Allegations of corruption part of TT political history
By Denise Balgobin Sunday, May 4 2008

click on pic to zoom inDr Keith Rowley ...« prev photo next photo »Corruption in public life is like the poor, always with us. Or so it would seem whether the administration is PNM, NAR or UNC. And, in fact, the perception goes back to colonial days with memories of the Caura Dam scandal still fresh in the minds of some citizens old enough to remember. As a topic of public concern, however, few issues attract attention the way the word “corruption” does.

Remember Johnny O’Halloran and how the PNM government continued to ignore public concerns about him?

When the PNM assumed political power in 1956, it was on the mantra of being a government that would practice “morality in public life”. The promise then was that the previous decades of corruption would be no more. That didn’t happen.

O’Halloran, a high-ranking Minister and public official, went on to wheel and deal his way into millions of dollars from foreign firms wanting to secure local contracts.

Most prominent of these projects was the Caroni Racing Complex project, in which O’Halloran, as the head of the Trinidad Racing Authority, had ample opportunity to line his pockets.

Tonnes of steel and concrete, worth close to $100 million of taxpayers’ money were sunk into the Caroni swamp, as foundation materials for a project that was never completed. The San Antonio, Texas construction firm, Sam P Wallace, was selected by O’Halloran and former Minister of Finance and PNM party chairman Francis Prevatt. In 1983, O’Halloran was named and charged as being the recipient of a TT $3.6 million bribe from the firm.

Even before that, as PNM Minister of Industry and Commerce in 1956, O’Halloran was reported to have received kickbacks for a TT $43 million sewerage scheme.

Details of dealings with respect to many of these contracts were kept secret, but were later investigated by the United States Securities and Exchange Commission for allegations of questionable payments.

The unstoppable “Johnny O” went on to become the Chairman of the Chaguaramas Development Authority, and rented out state lands to companies without proper procedure. But in those days, he was considered virtually untouchable under the PNM, whose political leader Eric Williams, was his bosom buddy. Indeed, O’Halloran was Williams’ closest confidante and was not only one of two witnesses at Dr Williams’ secret marriage to Mayleen Mooksang, but was the executor of Dr Williams’ last will and testament.

In fact, so insured from public condemnation was O’Halloran, that even after he fled the country before he could be charged, he wrote the government demanding payment of his pension!

Further indication of O’Halloran’s influence was that it was only after he fled that a warrant was issued for his arrest.

In July 1980, the DC-9 scandal broke. This centred around a questionable deal for the purchase of four new DC-9 aircraft to state-owned BWIA from the US-based McDonnel Douglas Corporation, a company that flourished in pay-offs to officials from mainly developing countries. A TT $1.3 million bribe was reportedly paid for securing this deal.

Also figuring prominently in this deal was Francis Prevatt, who was also protected by the government of the day. When the US company admitted paying bribes, the government accused McDonnel Douglas Corporation of being “grossly libellous” against a sovereign state and demanded an apology. Ironically, this statement was made on behalf of the government by none other than today’s Prime Minister Patrick Manning, who at that time was the PNM’s Minister of Information.

But O’Halloran’s and Prevatt’s schemes would soon be blown to bits. Upon taking over as Prime Minister, George Chambers shut down the racing complex project and O’Halloran resigned his governmental postings.

Despite several senior state officials travelling here, there and everywhere in search of him, he could not be found and it was reported that he had acquired Panamanian citizenship.

Never being brought to TT courts, O’Halloran died in Canada in 1985 after a prolonged illness. His dealings were investigated under the subsequent NAR regime and his assets were frozen in 1989 by a Toronto court.

Today, following Dr Keith Rowley’s allegations and his call for an Inquiry, the Urban Development Corporation of Trinidad and Tobago (Udecott) is in the limelight. The $200 million state-of-the-art University of Trinidad and Tobago (UTT) project at Wallerfield, managed by Udecott, is said to have reached crisis stage with the Chinese contracting firm, China Jiang Su, failing to deliver at the designated February 2008 time. There have also been overruns, a shortage of labour and equipment problems.

UTT is only one of 50 state projects being executed by Udecott, a limited liability project management company which falls under the Ministry of Planning, Housing and the Environment. The money is estimated at more than $10 billion.

Public perception is that the organisation is a law unto itself. Requests for an inquiry which have come from the Trinidad and Tobago Transparency Institute, have not been heeded. Udecott, it is said, does not follow procurement procedures set out in a 2004 Parliament White Paper, advancing as a reason that the White Paper is not yet law.

Interestingly enough, China Jiang Su also has the contracts for two other mega-million-dollar State projects, including the UTT’s $1.2 billion signature building at O’Meara and the Marabella Junior Secondary School.

Udecott was also responsible for the tendering process for the new $100 million Customs and Excise Building, now under construction in downtown PoS.

The allegations against Udecott indicate that it was spending all this money without Cabinet oversight. Ironically, the allegations have not come from the UNC opposition, but from within the heart of the PNM in the person of a Cabinet member, Dr Keith Rowley, who up to Wednesday April 23, was the Minister of Trade and Industry. For his pains, Dr Rowley was relieved of his Cabinet post by Prime Minister Patrick Manning on the grounds that Rowley displayed “wajang” and “hooligan” behaviour at a sub-cabinet committee meeting where the Udecott issue was raised.

Instead of focusing attention on the issue raised by Dr Rowley, which is who is monitoring Udecott, the focus was on Dr Rowley’s alleged behaviour.

A clear case, if there ever was one, of “shooting the messenger”.

But then, that is nothing new in our history with respect to tackling the issue of corruption.

For the last five to six years, attention has been focussed on the UNC period, many of whose senior people are now before the court with respect to the Piarco Airport, the construction of which cost $1.5 billion, when it was originally budgeted for $500 million.

In the aftermath, a number of foreign officials have already been found guilty in US courts of collusion with TT Government officials to defraud the taxpayers of this country.

Piarco has not yet been concluded but already allegations are in the public domain and calls are being made for an Inquiry into the Urban Development Corporation of Trinidad and Tobago (Udecott), the state enterprise that is currently spending $10 billion on several mega projects. So whereas the Piarco investigations are still before the courts, we seem poised to becoming involved in another Inquiry over the spending of state funds.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2008, 12:56:01 PM »
BY LEAH SORIAS   

T&T is ripe for a coup!

This is the view of political analyst Raghunath Mahabir, a lecturer in the Department of Social Sciences at University of the West Indies, St Augustine.

He feels there could be a repeat of the coup attempt of July 27, 1990, as the challenges and situations the country faced then still remains today and have even got worst.

“The security forces are in disarray; the people have lost confidence in the Government; there are numerous social and economic problems, including high food prices, and we have a large mass of people who are totally fed-up, frustrated, angry, bitter, and have a lot of resentment towards the Government,” he said.

These factors, he said, made the perfect recipe for a revolution or coup in this country.

He said when the Jamaat Al Muslimeen staged the attempted coup, it was a manifestation of frustration and a reflection of a lapse in this country’s security system.

“We had a government that did not have its ears to the ground, and an upswelling of a group of people who were more than willing to take action.”

Mahabir believes if another coup is attempted, it will be even worse, because lessons would have been learnt from the mistakes made in 1990.

For this reason, he believes a commission of enquiry should be held into the attempted coup.

“Not to pinpoint anyone, but to get some form of closure as to what exactly transpired; why there were security breaches, the reason for it occurring, and this will allow the country to put this traumatic incident to rest,” Mahabir said.

He said from the onset, the Jamaat’s plan to take over the government was doomed, because of poor leadership and a lack of legal advice.

Social woes

Mahabir does not believe the coup was staged because of the NAR’s intention to erect a monument in memory of Gene Miles with taxpayers’ money, despite the social and economic unrest at the time.

“That was just an excuse being used by some people,” he said.

Described as a thorn in the PNM’s side, Gene Miles was given a top-ranking position alongside Dr Eric Williams, but soon fell out of his graces, for reasons unknown.

In retaliation, she brought to light corruption in the government, including the infamous gas station racket.

She died on December 8, 1972, at age 42.

He said because of the hardship being faced by many, people were seeking change, and would try to find a way out.

“God forbid it would be through revolutionary means,” he said.

He said the country was travelling a dangerous road, as most people had lost confidence in the National Security Ministry.

By Friday, there were already more than 300 murders for the year. There also has been an upsurge in gang-related murders, mostly involving the youth.

High food prices, including the constant rise in the price of flour, also have been a major concern of citizens, especially the poor.

Mahabir said although there were social programmes in place to assist the poor, they gave only temporary help, as they were makeshift programmes.

Ease up

“They are not really enough to pull people out of their poverty, as they do not deal with the causes of the social problems, but the symptoms,” he said.

“We need to have sustainable jobs, employment and development.”   

He said although the programmes played a part in easing up some of the economic woes, people had not responded to them, because most of the programmes were still in the infant stages and were not well managed.

“Though they are there, they are not as effective as they should be,” he said.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2008, 07:49:23 PM »
somebody have to fill in westcoast void all tell we waht teh gas station racket was about.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2008, 09:30:47 AM »
Rowley on the floor
‘Come clean with Sunway’

Stories by KYLE JEREMIAH (Guardian)

Former Minister Keith Rowley is calling on Government to come clean on details of a memorandum of understanding with Malaysian company Sunway, in which Sunway is to construct highways, hotels and other infrastructural projects in T&T.

Rowley made the call yesterday, during his first contribution in the Parliament since being fired by Prime Minister Patrick Manning in April.

According to Rowley, the announcement of Sunway’s future projects with T&T was made on the Internet through a top Sunway official.

He lamented, however, that Government did not reveal the information. Rowley said:

“I had to go on the Internet to find out that Mr Yow and Sunway have an MOU to construct highways and other infrastructural projects.

“Question No 1: Which highways, which hotels, which resorts?

“And how come Mr Yow has this MOU and Mr Yang doesn’t have it and Mr Ling doesn’t have it, or I don’t have it?

“What procurement procedure gave Mr Yow this inside track that he could be telling the world that he has an MOU?

“Today, I am calling on the Government to make that MOU public, so we could say what Mr Yow has or doesn’t have.”

Rowley said Sunway spoke of the “wonderful business” the company had attracted in T&T, and that business was expected to get better.

He said the document referred to a quarrying contract in T&T, where Sunway would produce a million tonnes and Government would purchase the full amount.

Rowley, however, dismissed statements from Opposition Chief Whip Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj that local contractors were not allowed to bid—though, his defence of Government in that respect did not stop him from taking the Government to task on the issue.

“My question to Government—the terms and conditions that were offered to the local people when they bid, are they the same terms and conditions that Sunway ended up with? “If they were not, why is it that local people were put at a disadvantage?

“When you look at what is being said, local persons were told you had to build a plant with the capacity of a million tonnes. The Government in the first three years will guarantee to take 400,000 from you—in year four they will take 100,000—so you will have to go to the market and sell 600,000 or 900,000 along the way.

“Is that the same thing that Sunway is saying here on the Internet that they have a contract to sell to the Government a million tonnes a year?”

Rowley slams Udecott

Meanwhile, regarding allegations that Sunway purchased a three-week old company that was awarded a state-contract, Rowley said “procurement immediately becomes an issue.”

Rowley said he left written instructions, when he was the then Minister in the Ministry of Planning, that no contractor who did not pre-qualify should be considered.

Rowley was referring to the contract that was awarded for construction of the $368- million Legal Affairs tower in Port-of-Spain.

“Unless another minister gave a countermanding instruction, the instruction I left there stands, even though I am out of the Cabinet, out of the Government, out of the picture, out

“That allegation was made in this Parliament. To date, Udecott has not answered; the Government has not answered.”

‘Manning’s boasting not PNM’s way’

Prime Minister Patrick Manning found himself at the receiving end, yesterday, of the political wrath of the minister he fired in April—Keith Rowley.
In fact, Rowley condemned the statement made by Manning, two weeks ago, in Woodford Square that “if the leader falls, all fall down.”

Manning made the statement while addressing scores of PNMites who journeyed from various constituencies to show support for Manning while the Opposition’s no-confidence motion against him was being debated. But Rowley was not impressed.

“I took careful note of a comment by our Prime Minister last week Friday in Woodford Square, where he told the people gathered there—among them the least fortunate of the country, Cepep and similar types—I took careful note of the statement that ‘if the leader falls, all fall.’

“That is not the PNM way, and it should never be like that!”

Rowley reflected on when his grandfather became a PNM supporter—because of the policies and programmes that Dr Eric Williams put in place “that converted me from a barefoot schoolboy in Mason Hall, creating the opportunity for mobility from the backwaters of a village to where I am in the Parliament of T&T.

“So PNM must not tell people that your future, your meal depends on me being in office. It can’t be that.”

On the issue of inflation—which has ballooned to 13.5 per cent—Rowley said it “bothered” him that government officials were discounting the issue as trivial.

“Approaching 10 per cent inflation and you get a comment from the top of the Government that the sky is not going to fall—it doesn’t do anything for the confidence of those who hire you to do their jobs and it causes concern with people like me who are about to enter retirement.

“Because 15 per cent inflation is the biggest enemy to my quality of life and for the thousands of people in this country who live on fixed income,” Rowley said.

Rowley Roars
...tears into Govt policies, wades into Manning in Budget debate

Ria Taitt, Political Editor (Express)
Tuesday, September 30th 2008

"I will support the PNM. I will stand by the PNM. I am for the PNM. I am PNM. But I am not supporting that!"

Diego Martin West MP Keith Rowley used this emphatic declaration of his PNM allegiance as the basis of his blistering attack against Prime Minister Patrick Manning and Works Minister Colm Imbert yesterday.

And by the time he finished his wide-ranging presentation in the Budget debate in the House of Representatives, Port of Spain, he had virtually wiped the floor with his leader, registering his fundamental disagreement with the direction that the Manning-led Government was taking on major issues.

As he commanded the attention of the entire House, Rowley laid out his case, quoting liberally from PNM founder Eric Williams, from the party's manifestos "with the handsome gentleman with the old time glasses on it (Manning)" and from the Principles of Integrity for Persons in Public Life and those exercising public functions.

He criticised the slow pace of Government's implementation, questioned the claim that the Ministry of Housing had begun construction of 6,000 homes, warned about the dangers of galloping inflation and Government uncontrolled spending, hit out at the absence of transparency and an acceptable procurement policy, slammed Government's "denigration" of local contractors, and its preference for foreign contractors and took the Prime Minister to task on the issue of public integrity.

Stating that rising prices were the greatest threat to the country, Rowley chastised Government spokespersons for speaking "glibly and dismissively" about the rising prices.

"(We were) Approaching ten per cent inflation and you get a comment from the top of the Government that the sky is not going to fall in. That doesn't do anything for the confidence...because 15 per cent inflation is the biggest enemy to our quality of life and for the thousands of people who live on fixed incomes, those pensioners, those who are barely making ends meet...their dollar is worth 15 per cent less than in December and that is the threat to their quality of life... that would convert someone from a comfortable middle class person to a pauper, notwithstanding whatever else the Government does," he said.

Noting experts were saying that it is Government expenditure driving inflation, he said that deserved a debate, not a dismissal. And he noted that notwithstanding all this quick movement of inflation, Government was saying in this Budget 'spend and be damned'.

Turning to transparency, Rowley said the public had a right to know how public institutions apply the resources entrusted to them.

"In keeping in step with this requirement, under what circumstances are my colleagues telling the country that you cannot say who you giving scholarships to and ...how much money you pay to a lawyer?" he asked.

"No shame!" chimed in Jack Warner.     :o

Government, citing the right to privacy, has refused to answer questions in the Parliament on who got scholarships and how much money attorney Douglas Mendes was paid.

Said Rowley: "When I was in the Cabinet, certain imps took the position that the Government should not answer particular questions and I objected to that. And the questions were answered. And as soon as I left the Cabinet you come and tell the country, you can't answer. I am saying that is a violation of the core principles of integrity in public life and a violation of our party manifesto positions, page 14, where it says we as part of a public contract with the people are committed ourselves to clarity and public accountability. Let us not squander the PNM's inheritance on short term arrangements to suit certain people."

Slamming Government for its failure to respond to allegations made by Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj (made over four months ago) that UDeCOTT gave a $367 million contract to a three-week-old company, CW Development, in which Calder Hart's relatives were involved and which was then sold to Sunway, Rowley declared: "I find it shocking that a State enterprise could have an allegation like that made against it and choose to say nothing."

He recalled that when Ganga Singh made the Landate allegations against him, he immediately got up and denied it in Parliament.

On the Sunway allegation, "not a word from my PNM Government. It disgraces us!" he said. To date, he contended, Government spokesmen, instead of responding, had spent all of their time "trying to badmouth Rowley".

He said he had to read on the Internet the Head of the Malaysian firm Sunway, Mr Yao, saying that he had signed an MOU, to construct highways, other infrastructural projects and hotels. And he "cringed", he said, when he later read in the local newspapers that the Head of Sunway "was in my Prime Minister's office".

"In George Chambers day, Sunway couldn't come on Whitehall step. And in Eric Williams days, when allegations were made against O'Hallaron, I can find no instance where Eric Williams provided a shield for O'Hallaron and Prevatt. Today Sunway going to the PM office and leaving with a leaflet that says further deals are to come," he said.   :flamethrower:

Suggesting that Sunway, which also won a quarrying contract, was being favoured, Rowley asked whether the local bidders were given the same terms as Sunway for the $1 billion quarry deal.

Saying that Imbert had a habit of decrying local contractors, Rowley stated: "They say I am the mouthpiece of local contractors? I am proud to be the mouthpiece....So what does that make you?"

Rowley said Vision 2020 was never about the "denigration" of local effort.

"If that is what we are doing, then we are so far away from Vision 2020, which talks about developing local people," he said.

Rowley, who recalled that he visited the site of the Scarborough Hospital twice, both in his ministerial capacity, labelled it as "the worst management Government project ever".

On the issue of housing, the former Housing Minister, whose tenure saw the construction of 8,000 houses each year, challenged the claim that 6,000 houses were started in this fiscal year. (See Page 5).

"Let the relevant Minister tell us where these 6,000 houses were started in the last fiscal year. Because my understanding is that all the time was spent in that Ministry investigating to find out who did what and to confirm what was said before. And I do not know where 6,000 houses were started in the last fiscal year. Prove me wrong! Stand up in here and tell us the location of the 6,000 houses...If you reporting 6,000 probably fictitious, even that does not measure up."

Rowley criticised the PM's spirited defence of the Malaysia oil company, Petronis, noting that Petronis was famous for oil and gas and corruption.

"We have the head of the Government leading the charge for Vision 2020, advocating to us that the Petronis model, where you have plenipotentiary powers given to certain people so that they could do what they please, to get our development done. I reject that out of hand!" he declared, saying the country should watch companies like Petronis with "cokey eye".

On the need for procurement policy, Rowley said the White Paper on procurement went to UDeCOTT and died.

He drew thunderous table-thumping support sometimes from his Government colleagues (with the exception of Manning and Imbert) and at other times from the Opposition MPs.

He said he knew the Government meant well, but it needed to change its course. Quoting Williams, he again rooted his criticism in his ties to the party and took issue with Manning's statement in Woodford Square recently that if "I fall, all fall".

"Forget the UNC, NAR et cetera. The PNM is in a class by itself. The PNM is a national institution," he said.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2008, 12:51:28 PM »
So y did he not tell d imps while he was in cabinet. Rowleyyyyyyyyyyyy u hit your head not Patos.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2008, 05:30:50 PM »
Unlike the US where politicians from same party can criticize their President "without recrimenation", In TT/Caribbean, the politician from the same party who criticise the PM in Parliament, is always "going out on the lim" (correct me if I use the wrong terminology). To be honest I think Rowley should be the PM. Hubris has intoxicated Manning.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2008, 06:07:20 PM »
Unlike the US where politicians from same party can criticize their President "without recrimenation", In TT/Caribbean, the politician from the same party who criticise the PM in Parliament, is always "going out on the lim" (correct me if I use the wrong terminology). To be honest I think Rowley should be the PM. Hubris has intoxicated Manning.

Thank u sir !

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2008, 08:17:41 PM »

He actually doing better than the opposition.

If someone from the opposition could do the same as him and challenge the opposition to do better....dat wud be surreal.

1]; } ?>