April 16, 2024, 02:20:56 PM

Author Topic: Dr Keith Rowley Thread.  (Read 119251 times)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: Dr Keith Rowley Thread.
« Reply #360 on: September 28, 2015, 12:09:41 AM »
So Breds, I don't want to criticize you for you beliefs. But the amount of unsolved murders in TT don't prick your consciousness. 90% of the murders are Afro TT killing one another. That don't bother you. You see it as the norm. Breds I from EDR. As rough as it was growing up there 3 decades ago, it was not a violent place with vicious people as there is now. I will not accept that as the norm. Never. If they have to put the army up for the next 5 years. Then .... By any means necessary.
When did I say it was normal, or it didn't bother me? I never said that. I specifically responded to the idea of house to house searches across the country, and another SOE.

Crime in T&T is at an epedemic level, especially the murder rate in depressed areas. However, simply giving emergency powers to the police/army is a flawed idea. The police should not need emergency powers to investigate murders. We have a ridiculous solve rate for homicides (it's less than 20%), and an across the board low prosecution rate for all crimes. This isn't due to police not being to go into people's homes and take guns away, that's a breakdown in the investigative abilities of the police, witness tampering, faith in the police service by the public, the court system, and other factors. The state of emergency does not fix that.

The anti-gang legislation which still doesn't have a successful prosecution was by all accounts vaguely written and largely enforceable. The last SOE that picked up hundreds of "gang members" resulted in 0 convinctions under that act because the law was/is flawed. Another SOE ain't gonna fix the legislation.

On the topic of guns and the porous border, it has been suggested that the majority of the drug trade (and infiltration of guns) come through legal ports. By all means we need to better equip the coast guard, but we need to address the legal ports (POS, Point Lisas, Chaguaramas, etc.). The guns from the 1990 coup came through the ports. When that man Mark Small was arrested for trying to get guns in Florida a few years back, he was planning to ship them in a container. You don't need a SOE to overhaul and flush the port systems.

Also, with regards to the fact that it's mostly black youths killing black youths, we definitely need a new approach on dealing with poverty and the social issues that cause these kids to join gangs and turn away from society. We have generations of afro-Trinis that now are going through this cycle of violence, but a SOE isn't going to be the tool to trying to alleviate poverty and fix some of the social issues there.

Lastly, soldiers aren't trained for policing civilians. They're largely trained to shoot and kill, and humanitarian work. Our new national security minister said that himself during a PNM town hall. Soldiers, as equipped as they are, aren't the people trained to be searching houses and collecting evidence that can actually be prosecuted in a court of law. That's not their role, that's the police's job. We need to fix the police service from the ground up, not give up all our civil rights and hope for a hail mary pass.

You made some very good points but let me say this.

I never argued that a SoE will be absolutely necessary for us to carry out the operation of clearing illegal guns from the streets after the amnesty. However we need to do whatever that is necessary to achieve this goal of removing all illegal guns and ammunition from the streets.

I also think that the soldiers can be used in conjunction with the police. The role of the soldiers being to help back up the police and to help with the locating of the illegal weapons. Any arrest that is required after illegal weapons are found can be done by the police and I don't believe any killing will be necessary as I don't think criminals will be that stupid to have a gun fight with the police accompanied by the army unless they are on a suicide mission.

With regards to rounding up black youths from hot spot areas like was done in the last SoE called by the UNC I don't think that will happen as the sweep will be for weapons and not for people and the sweep will be of the whole country and not just of the hot spots and poorer areas.

My idea will work once the T&T population is fed-up of living in jail and genuinely want to see our murder crisis solved.

Social programs and other useful stuff you mention will also help to bring the murder rate down to double digit figures for the year after my plan is implemented and the current murder rate is at least halved.
With my plan murders can be cut down to less than 150 for the year and once all the social programs are in place and start to have an impact then we can see our annual murder toll drop to below 75 for the year.

Anyone who can't see the sense in what I am proposing is probably waiting until someone close to them is affected before realising that we are in a crisis and drastic measures are now required or things will get worse.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 12:23:38 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 28, 2015, 07:37:44 AM »
Nope!!

Kamla and her cabal government were not serious about catching the BIG fish as they were probably financers of her party. Their dismantling of SAUTT as soon as they came into power in  2010 with nothing to replace it clearly signals that the UNC government were trying to keep the folks who deal with importing weapons and drugs into T&T happy.

I am not advocating for an SoE but just for the removal of all the illegal guns and ammunition currently in the hands of criminal elements and on the streets of T&T that came into the country over the last 5 years.

Locking up and trying to criminalize INNOCENT Black youths like the UNC/PP government did is not part of my solution and what I outlined WILL save lives and lead to the murder toll for the year at least being halved.

In addition once we take out the BIG Fish (which the UNC had no intension of doing to its financers) serious crime and murders will fall drastically because there will be no BIG fish to put new imported weapons back in the hands of the criminal elements and gangs once all the illegal weapons are cleared from the streets.

The only persons who will be against this plan are those who have an interest in seeing serious crime and the high murder rate in T&T continue as it currently is and it will inevitably get worse if we don't do something drastic now.

Again the SoE plan did not work with the UNC because they had no intension of making it work by catching the BIG fish who might have been some of their financers.

What is good about my plan is that the sweep after the gun amnesty will be of all areas of T&T and not just the so called "hot spots" and poorer areas so there will be no discrimination or perceived discrimination taking place during the illegal weapons eradication operation.
Do you know who finances the PNM? Neither the PNM nor UNC disclose who their financiers are, but it has been suggested that both parties have a large portion of the same financiers who alternate giving money between the two parties every few years. I don't know how you can post on this forum with certainty that this government will be different from the past, or suggest that the UNC alone has been guilty of never actually prosecuting white collar crime or addressing the folks at the top of the drugs/gun trade. Both the PNM and UNC have been dodging disclosing how they finance their campaigns since inception.

I think your idea of a gun sweep is well intentioned but ill-conceived. I agree we need something drastic, but giving more powers to the Police in their present state is dangerous. Frankly before we look at giving Police power to enter people's home without warrants, we figure out why police keep losing evidence (often guns) or losing their own guns supposedly locked up in police stations. There have also been rumours for decades (not just the last 5 years) that several police officers rent their issued guns out to the public.

I am not comfortable advocating for more power for the police until it has been completely reformed from the ground up.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 28, 2015, 09:44:06 AM »
Nope!!

Kamla and her cabal government were not serious about catching the BIG fish as they were probably financers of her party. Their dismantling of SAUTT as soon as they came into power in  2010 with nothing to replace it clearly signals that the UNC government were trying to keep the folks who deal with importing weapons and drugs into T&T happy.

I am not advocating for an SoE but just for the removal of all the illegal guns and ammunition currently in the hands of criminal elements and on the streets of T&T that came into the country over the last 5 years.

Locking up and trying to criminalize INNOCENT Black youths like the UNC/PP government did is not part of my solution and what I outlined WILL save lives and lead to the murder toll for the year at least being halved.

In addition once we take out the BIG Fish (which the UNC had no intension of doing to its financers) serious crime and murders will fall drastically because there will be no BIG fish to put new imported weapons back in the hands of the criminal elements and gangs once all the illegal weapons are cleared from the streets.

The only persons who will be against this plan are those who have an interest in seeing serious crime and the high murder rate in T&T continue as it currently is and it will inevitably get worse if we don't do something drastic now.

Again the SoE plan did not work with the UNC because they had no intension of making it work by catching the BIG fish who might have been some of their financers.

What is good about my plan is that the sweep after the gun amnesty will be of all areas of T&T and not just the so called "hot spots" and poorer areas so there will be no discrimination or perceived discrimination taking place during the illegal weapons eradication operation.
Do you know who finances the PNM? Neither the PNM nor UNC disclose who their financiers are, but it has been suggested that both parties have a large portion of the same financiers who alternate giving money between the two parties every few years. I don't know how you can post on this forum with certainty that this government will be different from the past, or suggest that the UNC alone has been guilty of never actually prosecuting white collar crime or addressing the folks at the top of the drugs/gun trade. Both the PNM and UNC have been dodging disclosing how they finance their campaigns since inception.

I think your idea of a gun sweep is well intentioned but ill-conceived. I agree we need something drastic, but giving more powers to the Police in their present state is dangerous. Frankly before we look at giving Police power to enter people's home without warrants, we figure out why police keep losing evidence (often guns) or losing their own guns supposedly locked up in police stations. There have also been rumours for decades (not just the last 5 years) that several police officers rent their issued guns out to the public.

I am not comfortable advocating for more power for the police until it has been completely reformed from the ground up.

Fella no one is comfortable in T&T right now with the murder rate, just ask Dana Seetahal‘s family, so who gives two hoots about you being comfortable?

You are only posting lame excuses as far as I am concerned and seem happy for the current murder crisis in T&T to continue.

As I said crisis times call for drastic measures and if my plan will save lives which I am quite confident it will then there are no acceptable excuses not to implement it.

Lets prayer that our current Minister of National Security is more of my mindset than of yours or there will continue to be 400 plus murders per year and it is likely to get even worse.

If something quite similar to what I am suggesting is not done very soon then all of us will have a friend or relative who is murdered in T&T relatively soon.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 09:53:54 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 28, 2015, 10:15:34 AM »
Fella no one is comfortable in T&T right now with the murder rate, just ask Dana Seetahal‘s family, so who gives two hoots about you being comfortable?

You are only posting lame excuses as far as I am concerned and seem happy for the current murder crisis in T&T to continue.

As I said crisis times call for drastic measures and if my plan will save lives which I am quite confident it will then there are no acceptable excuses not to implement it.

Lets prayer that our current Minister of National Security is more of my mindset than of yours or there will continue to be 400 plus murders per year and it is likely to get even worse.

If something quite similar to what I am suggesting is not done very soon then all of us will have a friend or relative who is murdered in T&T relatively soon.

Your narrative that, because I am not in favour of extra-judicial powers or converting us into a Police state, I am somehow happy with the murder rate is hyperbole, ridiculous, and insulting. I'm done, won't bother engaging in a post with you again.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 28, 2015, 11:16:26 AM »
WFI

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 28, 2015, 11:41:48 AM »

Your narrative that, because I am not in favour of extra-judicial powers or converting us into a Police state, I am somehow happy with the murder rate is hyperbole, ridiculous, and insulting. I'm done, won't bother engaging in a post with you again.

take a breath say woosa and move on......pro is..well....pro.....in similar vein to contro you'll "talk" til yuh blue in the face with little hope of consensus once his mind is made up.......I agree with every point you make by the way
I pity the fool....

Online Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 28, 2015, 12:26:48 PM »
I leaning more on Pro side for this argument . not that R45 points are not valid. But like Pro said, the situation is dire. My area, east of the Dry River is or has become inhabitable. Some of you may not or have never been there, and as far as you all are concern, the same approach will do. Take it from me, the same approach will not do anymore. We have demons and murderers amongst us. They are not mammy's nice child. They go kill you without hesitation. Drastic measures for a drastic situation. That is the way I see it. Sorry ......

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 28, 2015, 01:47:10 PM »
I leaning more on Pro side for this argument . not that R45 points are not valid. But like Pro said, the situation is dire. My area, east of the Dry River is or has become inhabitable. Some of you may not or have never been there, and as far as you all are concern, the same approach will do. Take it from me, the same approach will not do anymore. We have demons and murderers amongst us. They are not mammy's nice child. They go kill you without hesitation. Drastic measures for a drastic situation. That is the way I see it. Sorry ......

stop the guns and it will be 3canal - it's a mindset (no value for life and I strongly believe there is no fear of jail! Jail is a stripe or medal.) Sorry....

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 28, 2015, 01:56:04 PM »

Thank you! :thumbsup:

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 28, 2015, 02:02:39 PM »

take a breath say woosa and move on......pro is..well....pro.....in similar vein to contro you'll "talk" til yuh blue in the face with little hope of consensus once his mind is made up.......I agree with every point you make by the way

The reason I have stuck to my guns (ironic use of the word "guns") is because I know my idea for clearing most of the 1000's of illegal weapons from off the streets will drastically reduce the murders in the short term at least by half and together with R45's ideas will further reduce crime and murders in the long term.

We are both correct so I am not interested in any excuses once we are going to save 100's lives annually and make T&T a better and safer place to live.

The days when the average man could safely take a stroll with his girlfriend outside in the night in T&T and enjoy the moonlight without having to worry about losing their lives need to come back.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 11:14:39 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Mischief-makers out to distract*
« Reply #370 on: September 28, 2015, 05:14:43 PM »
Mischief-makers out to distract*
By Joel Julien, joel.julien@trinidadexpress.com
Published on Sep 27, 2015, 9:28 pm AST (T&T Express)

MISCHIEF-MAKERS are trying to “derail” Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley from governing the country, but they will all fail, general secretary of the People’s National Movement (PNM) Ashton Ford has said.

Ford made the comments yesterday as he responded to concerns raised about Rowley wearing a balisier tie to the funeral of former PNM minister Errol Mahabir last Friday.

Ford said in 2012 the general council of the PNM ruled that the wearing of the tie bearing the party’s logo will be optional.

“We made the wearing of the tie optional. Individuals can wear it in the Parliament if they wish, but it is optional. More importantly, at all PNM events and PNM activities, all officers of the Movement wear the balisier tie,” Ford said.

Ford said that is exactly what Rowley did on Friday.

“At Mahabir’s funeral, PNM flags were flown at half mast and we paid due respect to him as an ex-officer of the Movement, ex-minister under the PNM government and a ex-parliamentary representative under the PNM government and we gave him his due, flags were flown at half mast and people wore balisier ties at the funeral. The balisier tie will always be there,” Ford said.

Ford said Rowley wearing the Balisier tie was a non-issue.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Governance under the Rowley Administration
« Reply #371 on: September 29, 2015, 09:57:24 AM »

Hopes rise for Rowley home-based diplomacy

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20150926/editorial/hopes-rise-for-rowley-home-based-diplomacy

PRIME Minister Keith Rowley has demonstrated ability to resist the lure of international bright lights, in favour of pursuing diplomacy at home. The annual United Nations General Assembly was reported to have drawn 170 world leaders to its New York sessions that included a celebrity appearance by Pope Francis.

That Dr Rowley chose to have the T&T UN delegation led by Foreign Affairs Minister Dennis Moses reflects positively on a disposition against indulging in foreign travel likely yielding unclear national benefits. In Mr Moses, T&T could be assured of competent representation by someone with training and experience in international relations.

Dr Rowley was able, however, to advance T&T interests through a direct encounter with a high-level visiting Venezuelan delegation. Steady deterioration in relations between closest neighbour, Venezuela, and Caricom partner, Guyana, represents a worrisome development.

Dr Rowley was able to convey to the Caracas government leadership T&T’s concerns for a lowering of tensions between Venezuela and Guyana. He also pressed exhortations that “neither side will do anything to escalate” the dispute which should be “resolved in the best interest of all and in accordance with international law”.

Such highest-level T&T diplomatic involvement came against the background of reports that Venezuela had deployed troops to a contested area of its border with Guyana. Those moves had raised alarms in Georgetown which was this week the scene of a street parade by Guyanese troops.

Nothing is to be gained by military muscle-flexing by either side. Along with the region and the world, T&T hopes the Guyanese military show of defiance will not trigger responses in kind from its far more powerful neighbour.

For now, T&T can only urge peace and restraint in a dispute that has mounted with the discovery of oil on the Guyanese side of a border not recognised by Venezuela. Appropriately, the differences will be aired, for hopeful settlement through mediation, at the current UN sessions where T&T will have another opportunity for diplomatic input.

In Port of Spain, however, Prime Minister Rowley was also able to press the case for T&T-Venezuela collaboration in energy, trade, security, arts and culture. Most urgent among T&T interests remains that of joint natural gas exploitation in the Loran-Manatee cross-border field.

Both countries stand to gain from early implementation of that project. T&T, however, suffering a painful natural gas shortage, is especially keen to realise progress on this front.

Any positive steps toward earliest bringing ashore of cross-border gas would easily justify Dr Rowley’s stay-home decision, over sharing the big-time spotlight in New York.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 30, 2015, 06:17:31 AM »
Minister to tackle outstanding $$ disputes*
Jenny and JTUM in labour meeting

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20150929/news/minister-to-tackle-outstanding-disputes

Labour Minister Jennifer Baptiste-Primus yesterday announced that three committees will be set up to examine all outstanding wage negotiations, some of which date back to 2008.

The minister gave the assurance following a meeting with the Joint Trade Union Movement (JTUM), at the ministry’s office, Tower C, International Waterfront Complex, Port of Spain.

“We are not comfortable at all about negotiations being outstanding for such long periods. It contributes to a lot of wasted man hours and the usual hostility that we can learn to grow out of if we do things in the proper manner,” she said.
Baptiste-Primus said during the meeting with JTUM, the stalled negotiations at Cipriani College of Labour and Co-operative Studies was flagged.
Negotiations at the college have been going on for more than four years now.

The Minister said this had to be addressed as it reflected badly on the Ministry of Labour.
“I have given the undertaking that the new board would be given a mandate to not only settle negotiations but to develop a new vision for that college, because that college’s history, in terms of the empowerment of not only workers but persons from the co-operative arena, must be channelled in a very positive way,” she stated.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 01, 2015, 06:01:09 PM »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9o5es_i6JQY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9o5es_i6JQY</a>

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 01, 2015, 06:29:52 PM »

Minister: We will act on school bullying

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2015-09-30/minister-we-will-act-school-bullying

The Ministry of Education says it will act on any information brought to its attention as it relates to school violence and bullying.

Speaking briefly in a telephone yesterday, Education Minister Anthony Garcia expressed concern over the posting of online videos on social media, which depicted incidents of violence.

In the latest video posted to Facebook on Tuesday a male student from a secondary school in north Trinidad was seen slapping a younger boy in a classroom several times, while shouting obscenities and racial slurs at him.

The video was filmed by another student, while other students could be seen looking on.

Pressed to say what was the ministry’s policy regarding violence and bullying, Garcia said school principals had the authority to suspend students believed to be involved in such incidents.

Revealing that his ministry will soon host a national consultation, which will focus primarily on the syllabus and school discipline, Garcia said school supervisors also were assigned to each school, as part of the support mechanism to principals.

Garcia explained it was their responsibility to liaise with officials to ensure the smooth operation of the respective school.

Admitting that once an incident occurred the school first had to do its own investigation, Garcia said deans also were identified at each school to support the efforts of the principal to enforce discipline and the code of conduct.

Referring to the Education Act which empowers principals to suspend students “who go overboard,” Garcia said once a student/students were determined as the cause of injury/harm to others, they had the authority to suspend the child/children for a maximum of seven days.

He added: “If the situation was grave enough, principals can also apply to the ministry for an extension of the suspension.”

At least three new videos were posted to Facebook yesterday, showing students (both male and female), engaged in similar activities.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
PM unveils plans for police... Murder detection rate unacceptable
« Reply #375 on: October 01, 2015, 08:17:17 PM »
PM unveils plans for police...
Murder detection rate unacceptable

Published: Thursday, October 1, 2015 (T&T Guardian)

Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley says the ten per cent murder detection rate by the T&T Police Service is unacceptable, adding the People’s National Movement will do all in its power to give the service all the tools it needs to address crime.

He made the comment in a wide-ranging interview on I95FM’s evening drive radio programme yesterday.

Rowley said the police must work diligently to improve the detection rate, noting: “That is not the teacher’s job, or the parson’s job, or the telephone operator’s job... that is the job of the police.”

He said the Government was aiming to put security services in a position to prevent or detect crime and prevention would include getting firearms off the streets and preventing trade in illegal guns. Information gathering to identify the criminals would be an important part of the process, he added.

He admitted, however, that the police were being hampered by a lack of motivation within its ranks and the failure of the public to co-operate with their crime-fighting initiatives.

“We have a Police Service which we know is demoralised and does not have the support of the population to determine who is doing what in the neighbourhood.”

Noting that the existing anti-gang legislation had done little to curb the gang violence, Rowley said among possible anti-crime actions by his Government would be the idea of local constabularies in the regional corporations. He said although this would add to the cost of running the country, crime also had a cost.

“If we can't secure ourselves everything else would fall by the wayside so we have to make the sacrifice to incur the cost of making our streets and our neighbourhoods safer and detect crime when criminal conduct is displayed,” he added.

On the issue of corruption, Rowley said the PNM would have to ensure systems were put in place to root it out.

“Many citizens are disturbed at the way we have spent a lot of money and a lot of it went into the hands of people who ought not to have handled it. The level of waste and corruption in this country is unacceptable,” he said.

He added: “We always point to the public sector as the source and the area where corruption is a problem. That's a mistake.

“The private sector is an integral part of the corruption in T&T because public officers usually have to integrate with elements of the private sector to carry out corrupt practices... and the systems have to be such that governance and spending public money is more open and transparent. Without that, we will have this going on forever.

“So what we are going to try to do is to put more open systems in place. It is the light of openness and consequences for wrongdoing that will change.”

On the issue of Government priorities after next Monday's budget and ensuing budget debates, Rowley said Government would be focussing on three areas: Whistleblower legislation, local government reform and initiating national discussion on campaign financing.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 08:19:15 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
PM: Sacrifices to win war on crime
« Reply #376 on: October 02, 2015, 12:31:40 AM »
PM: Sacrifices to win war on crime
Friday, October 2 2015 (T&T Newsday)

PRIME Minister Dr Keith Rowley declared that sacrifices have to be made in order to curb the level of crime taking place in the country.In an interview broadcast on I95.5 FM on Wednesday, the Prime Minister said he has been in regular conference with National Security Minister, retired Major General Edmund Dillon, about crime in the country. “ I know he’s working quite assiduously with the agencies that are involved to come up with an arrangement which will make it less attractive for the criminals to be so unfettered in their actions,” Rowley said.

Noting that crimes can be classified into various categories, the Prime Minister said, “We don’t want to do anything other than to, at the moment, put the security services in a position to either prevent crime or detect crime.” Identifying stemming the flow of illegal guns into the country and reducing the accessibility of these weapons to persons, Rowley said,

“ You prevent it (crime) by doing certain things before, one of it is to try to get all these firearms that are on our streets, off our streets and persons who are trading in firearms and persons who choose firearm handling and firearm industry, identify them and get those firearms out of their hands and off the streets. that’s a prevention aspect.

” He added, “The other one is information gathering to determine who is involved in crime, to be able to detect the crime when it occurs.” Reiterating the Government’s intention to establish 100 member constabularies in all 14 local government corporations to assist in the fight against crime, Rowley admitted, “That would add to our cost of operating the country.

” However the Prime Minister added, “If we can’t secure ourselves, everything else would fall by the wayside. We have to make the sacrifice to incur the cost of making our streets and our neighbourhoods safer and detect crime when criminal conduct is displayed.

” Expressing concern that an environment has been created over time in this country that has allowed the criminals to prosper, Rowley said, “We have to change that.

” The Prime Minister continued, “It is unacceptable that we are talking about a less than ten percent detection rate for murders and murders make news at the time of the killing.” Rowley said the question which must be asked is, “Who is following up to find out who committed this act?” Rowley asked, “Is it the same person going to commit it again? Is it one murderer killing ten times or is it ten separate murderers?

” Declaring, “that is not the teacher’s job or the parson’s job or the telephone operator’s job,” the Prime Minister said, “That is the job of the police. The Police Service is the agency in this country that is required to secure us along with the other agencies and we have to make sure that they are in a position so to do.” However he said one of the major challenges in this regard is, “we have a Police Service which we know is demoralised and does not have the support of the population to determine who is doing what in the neighbourhood.” Rowley said steps must be taken to restore the public’s trust and confidence in the police, if any success is to be achieved in the war against crime. On the legislative front, the Prime Minister observed that while the Anti-Gang Bill was passed in the 10th Parliament, “we are not seeing that law impacting on the environment.” Asked whether the legislation to establish a Police Management Agency would require a special majority for passage in Parliament, Rowley explained, “Some of these things are entrenched in law and may require a special majority, but I would like to believe that all of us, regardless of which side of the divide that we are on in the Parliament, that all of use are concerned about the state of the country’s lack of security.

” The Prime Minister also disclosed that Government intends to hold a national consultation about campaign finance legislation, to get the public’s views on what the legislation should contain.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 05, 2015, 09:15:29 AM »

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 01:36:38 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 05, 2015, 05:20:33 PM »

GA$ UP, VAT DOWN

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20151005/news/gas-up-vat-down

FINANCE Minister Colm Imbert spent two hours this afternoon detailing how he said the previous administration mismanaged the economy and squandered the country's money, before calling on citizens to help reverse the decline.

Among the actions to be taken to reduce the budget deficit and generate revenue lost from declining oil and gas revenue, citizens were told that with immediate effect, they could expect a 15 per cent increase in the price of super gasoline and diesel.

Delivering the new government's first budget, having taken office September 7, Imbert said the increase was the beginning of the PNM Government's plan to roll back the fuel subsidy, which had cost the country $19 billion in the past four years.

The price of super gasoline will increase from $2.70 per litre to $3.11 per litre.

The diesel price goes from $1.50 per litre to $1.73 per litre.

Imbert, addressing Parliament at the International Waterfront, Port of Spain, said the increase in fuel prices will see a $340 million reduction annual subsidies, however the fuel subsidy is still expected to exceed $1 billion.

The budget has been pegged at an oil price of $45 per barrel of oil.

Citizens can also expect to pay less Value Added Tax (VAT) on non-luxury items (from 15 per cent to 12.5 per cent), but should start saving to pay the property tax which will be reintroduced as of January 1, while the Revenue Authority is established before the end of next year.

Big business can expect to pay more through the business fund levy and green fund, with a taxation regime to be devised for the gaming industry.

However, there will be multiple incentives for the Agriculture sector with tax exemptions for agriculture-related tools, supplies and chemicals.

Imbert also disclosed that the Judiciary would be given the financial autonomy that he had sought for many years. In 2016 there would also be the introduction of a video conference system from remand Yard, with lay magistrates to deal with minor offences in order to deal with the backlog of cases.

And $2.772 billion will go to Tobago, which represents 4.4 percent of the total budget, significantly above minimum, and more in percentage terms than Tobago from the Peoples Partnership government. He said that Tobago is to receive a further $1.13 billion from Central Government.

In addition, Imbert said the Solomon Hochoy Highway Project to Point Fortin would be completed, and the highway between San Fernando to Mayaro would be started, along with a new road to Toco (where a ferry terminal to Tobago is th be constructed), and a new road to Moruga, where new fishing facility would be built.

Other highlights:

- There will be a review and audit of the Children's Life Fund, the brainchild of the former prime minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar.

- The government to make full use of the sporting facilities nearing completion.

Budget Figures:

Total Revenue:$60.28 billion.

Total Expenditure: $63.048 billion.

Pegged oil Price:US$45

National Security: $10.81 billion

Education and Training: 9.763 billion

Health: $6.088 billion

Public utilities $4.452 billion

Local government $2.72 billion

Works and Infrastructure: $1.95 billion

Housing: $1.663 billion

Transport: $1.563 billion

Agriculture: $831 million

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 05, 2015, 05:23:23 PM »

GA$ UP, VAT DOWN

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20151005/news/gas-up-vat-down

FINANCE Minister Colm Imbert spent two hours this afternoon detailing how he said the previous administration mismanaged the economy and squandered the country's money, before calling on citizens to help reverse the decline.

Among the actions to be taken to reduce the budget deficit and generate revenue lost from declining oil and gas revenue, citizens were told that with immediate effect, they could expect a 15 per cent increase in the price of super gasoline and diesel.

Delivering the new government's first budget, having taken office September 7, Imbert said the increase was the beginning of the PNM Government's plan to roll back the fuel subsidy, which had cost the country $19 billion in the past four years.

The price of super gasoline will increase from $2.70 per litre to $3.11 per litre.

The diesel price goes from $1.50 per litre to $1.73 per litre.

Imbert, addressing Parliament at the International Waterfront, Port of Spain, said the increase in fuel prices will see a $340 million reduction annual subsidies, however the fuel subsidy is still expected to exceed $1 billion.

The budget has been pegged at an oil price of $45 per barrel of oil.

Citizens can also expect to pay less Value Added Tax (VAT) on non-luxury items (from 15 per cent to 12.5 per cent), but should start saving to pay the property tax which will be reintroduced as of January 1, while the Revenue Authority is established before the end of next year.

Big business can expect to pay more through the business fund levy and green fund, with a taxation regime to be devised for the gaming industry.

However, there will be multiple incentives for the Agriculture sector with tax exemptions for agriculture-related tools, supplies and chemicals.

Imbert also disclosed that the Judiciary would be given the financial autonomy that he had sought for many years. In 2016 there would also be the introduction of a video conference system from remand Yard, with lay magistrates to deal with minor offences in order to deal with the backlog of cases.

And $2.772 billion will go to Tobago, which represents 4.4 percent of the total budget, significantly above minimum, and more in percentage terms than Tobago from the Peoples Partnership government. He said that Tobago is to receive a further $1.13 billion from Central Government.

In addition, Imbert said the Solomon Hochoy Highway Project to Point Fortin would be completed, and the highway between San Fernando to Mayaro would be started, along with a new road to Toco (where a ferry terminal to Tobago is th be constructed), and a new road to Moruga, where new fishing facility would be built.

Other highlights:

- There will be a review and audit of the Children's Life Fund, the brainchild of the former prime minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar.

- The government to make full use of the sporting facilities nearing completion.

Budget Figures:

Total Revenue:$60.28 billion.

Total Expenditure: $63.048 billion.

Pegged oil Price:US$45

National Security: $10.81 billion

Education and Training: 9.763 billion

Health: $6.088 billion

Public utilities $4.452 billion

Local government $2.72 billion

Works and Infrastructure: $1.95 billion

Housing: $1.663 billion

Transport: $1.563 billion

Agriculture: $831 million

Download Budget Statement 2015/2016 delivered by Finance Min. Colm Imbert

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8A7QPkKr8NaRWgzWkIxYVA0bWc/view?pli=1

Online Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 05, 2015, 07:32:04 PM »
I eh see how much of that going into sport? I don't see the RR being built in the near future either. More important priorities to attend first. So brace for traffic  :(.  National security get the lion share.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 07:35:28 PM by Deeks »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 05, 2015, 07:57:56 PM »
I eh see how much of that going into sport? I don't see the RR being built in the near future either. More important priorities to attend first. So brace for traffic  :(National security get the lion share.

Of course. what did you expect? Crime is a REAL problem in T&T

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 05, 2015, 07:59:33 PM »

VIDEO Report; https://www.facebook.com/CNC3Television/videos/10153681466687996/

PRIME MINISTER DR KEITH ROWLEY SPREAKS AFTER BUDGET

Online Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 05, 2015, 09:45:50 PM »
I eh see how much of that going into sport? I don't see the RR being built in the near future either. More important priorities to attend first. So brace for traffic  :(National security get the lion share.

Breds, the sad face was for the traffic. I have no issue with NS getting the lion share because our internal security is in shambles.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 05, 2015, 11:50:34 PM »

Breds, the sad face was for the traffic. I have no issue with NS getting the lion share because our internal security is in shambles.
so has the crime issue been due to underfunding at National security ? Ok. Here's a idea ( nb: not mine, but I like it ), as done in other parts of the world, anybody especially the top dawgs, who have been found and convicted of being involved in funding of criminal activities, all assets - including immediate family assets seized and sold..similarly all officers of the law to be court marshalled, but no deals, general population .i.e. All criminals...surely deals may be made to ensure convictions, eg. Private cells.i.e.yes not part of general prison population but no buy out can occur here. No special privileges ,just as much National security as can be provided. These assets would pay for themselves. Whether be drugs or white collar issues, seize and sell their assets. The clicos, life sports,the corner pusher, the adult mugger,..for lesser crimes that does not affect or injure members of the population, strike rule..yes, we will give u opportunity to walk the right path or hide yuh stuff from us.. Since we have relationship with other countries, come to agreement to acquire/borrow manpower and patrol with local forces,  ensuring we do not suddenly live in an army state. Use proceeds of sales of assets to offset these initiatives.
I do think, the lion's share should go to the social programs,security for such workers in the troubled areas,and other such initiatives, however, I honestly, don't know what that ministry is. Probably, mental health.. I just prattling and brain storming doh..so any criticism or extrapolation of such welcome
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 11:52:37 PM by maxg »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 06, 2015, 12:41:51 AM »

so has the crime issue been due to underfunding at National security ? Ok. Here's a idea ( nb: not mine, but I like it ), as done in other parts of the world, anybody especially the top dawgs, who have been found and convicted of being involved in funding of criminal activities, all assets - including immediate family assets seized and sold..similarly all officers of the law to be court marshalled, but no deals, general population .i.e. All criminals...surely deals may be made to ensure convictions, eg. Private cells.i.e.yes not part of general prison population but no buy out can occur here. No special privileges ,just as much National security as can be provided. These assets would pay for themselves. Whether be drugs or white collar issues, seize and sell their assets. The clicos, life sports,the corner pusher, the adult mugger,..for lesser crimes that does not affect or injure members of the population, strike rule..yes, we will give u opportunity to walk the right path or hide yuh stuff from us.. Since we have relationship with other countries, come to agreement to acquire/borrow manpower and patrol with local forces,  ensuring we do not suddenly live in an army state. Use proceeds of sales of assets to offset these initiatives.
I do think, the lion's share should go to the social programs,security for such workers in the troubled areas,and other such initiatives, however, I honestly, don't know what that ministry is. Probably, mental health.. I just prattling and brain storming doh..so any criticism or extrapolation of such welcome

I will just accept your response as someone who is just rambling out of frustration.  :D

Like you said in part of your ramble.. "You don't know".. "Probably", therefore leaving us to believe your response was not well thought through.  You would also want the lion share of the budget go to social programs. Ok I understand critical thinking is not your forte  :D
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 07:36:33 AM by Sando prince »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 06, 2015, 02:20:45 PM »

I will just accept your response as someone who is just rambling out of frustration.  :D

Like you said in part of your ramble.. "You don't know".. "Probably", therefore leaving us to believe your response was not well thought through.  You would also want the lion share of the budget go to social programs. Ok I understand critical thinking is not your forte  :D
nope.. as you hint that critical thinking is yours, please pass the knowledge. I am willing to listen/read and learn. what are your well thought out suggestions. Open discussion, no insults. well,unless u know my type so well and have already determined, i'm not even capable of learning. Go ahead. Educate, don't denigrate

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 06, 2015, 06:26:45 PM »
Here is a start  of idea exchange , I just chose a few at random, readily available, no particular reason.

http://www.msss.gouv.qc.ca/en/reseau/services.php             select Social problems see if any of it may apply

http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/research/forum/e081/e081f-eng.shtml
http://lionheart.org/prison/
https://www.guelphhumber.ca/fcss
http://www.familylives.org.uk/advice/your-family/parenting/social-services-and-your-family/
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 07:00:37 PM by maxg »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 07, 2015, 05:36:28 PM »
Here is a start  of idea exchange , I just chose a few at random, readily available, no particular reason.

http://www.msss.gouv.qc.ca/en/reseau/services.php             select Social problems see if any of it may apply

http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/research/forum/e081/e081f-eng.shtml
http://lionheart.org/prison/
https://www.guelphhumber.ca/fcss
http://www.familylives.org.uk/advice/your-family/parenting/social-services-and-your-family/

Pumping more money into social services is not the answer, if anything you do not want to establish a culture where one is reliant on handouts. I am in support for assistance of those who need help to get back on their feet but not to the extreme where large portions of the national budget that is derived from tax payers dollars and national revenue is going towards handouts.

As for social problems go hand in hand with family values and discipline. The Govt can pump all the billions of dollars you are dreaming for in the budget for social programs but to solve this problem families have to take responsibility. This problem will always exist in a society where parents are not taking the responsibility to instill morals and values in their children. One of many examples is the value for hard work and gradual success has been replaced by getting rich quick (sometimes by illegal means).

« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 05:44:51 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 07, 2015, 05:41:07 PM »

T&T MINISTER OF FOREIGN AND CARICOM AFFAIRS DELIVERS FIRST ADDRESS TO UNITED NATIONS' GENERAL ASSEMBLY

https://www.facebook.com/CNC3Television/videos/10153684535782996/

1]; } ?>