March 28, 2024, 02:48:53 PM

Author Topic: Dr Keith Rowley Thread.  (Read 118698 times)

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
Re: Opposition Leader 'Keith Rowley' on racism in T&T politics.
« Reply #210 on: July 23, 2014, 09:57:19 PM »
when she got knocked up

Feliz, how you crude so. So your grandpa is/was due some jail time?

lol..yeah since yuh mention it..it does sound crude and too modern  ;D
Yeah me ent know what de law was back then but definitely now that would be jail time lol
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #211 on: July 23, 2014, 10:02:28 PM »
Look what my mother sent me..an interview the Express did with my aunt defending Rowley earlier this year.
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Keith-is-not-racist-263228941.html

I didn't think "Prime Minister" was an option since we surely wasn't independent back then  ;)
unless someone can verify Rowley age etc.

I saw she didn't mention Penal in the interview either.
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 24, 2014, 06:58:58 AM »
Look what my mother sent me..an interview the Express did with my aunt defending Rowley earlier this year.

I didn't think "Prime Minister" was an option since we surely wasn't independent back then  ;)

The accusation of him being racist is on what basis? I know exactly why people accuse Sat Maharaj of being racist and divisive but I never heard any reasons for accusing Rowley of being racist. So her saying he is not racist is in response to what exactly?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 07:01:18 AM by Sando prince »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 24, 2014, 01:31:29 PM »

I remember this article.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 26, 2014, 09:46:39 AM »
Ent " all ah we is one family" lol

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 15, 2014, 09:07:00 PM »
This was interesting. Watch from about the 6:00 to 10:00 minute mark of the video.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8toox4uksSA&amp;list=UUrlJgJtRxdei1cxg-0CLcFA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8toox4uksSA&amp;list=UUrlJgJtRxdei1cxg-0CLcFA</a>

Some very interesting information was revealed by Dr. Rowley in that speech. Proves to me that he is very clued up and also shows why the government are so worried about Dr. Rowley and the PNM winning the next elections as their feeding frenzy on T&T taxpayers money will be over. Hopefully Dr. Rowley can find some way of putting some of the law breakers into jail unless they pay back the taxpayer's money they have siphoned off.

And btw the headline of this thread should have more accurately been "Opposition Leader 'Keith Rowley' on corruption & incompetence by the current T&T government".
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 09:18:53 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
Scandal: Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar yesterday
« Reply #216 on: September 20, 2014, 08:14:09 AM »
Scandal: Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar yesterday.

PRINT THIS ARTICLE
PM PROBES ROWLEY
…orders commission of enquiry into Las Alturas apartments under former housing minister

By port of spain \\\\\ Anna Ramdass anna.ramdass@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Sep 18, 2014 at 11:39 PM ECT
Story Updated: Sep 19, 2014 at 10:16 AM ECT

Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley will be a key subject in a commission of enquiry ordered by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar yesterday to investigate the Las Alturas housing project in Morvant.
The two-tower project cost $26 million but had to be demolished due to structural problems.
Persad-Bissessar announced former high-level members of the People’s National Movement (PNM), including Rowley, will be probed to determine who was responsible for the scandal.

She said the commission will deter­mine whether there are any grounds for criminal and civil proceedings against any person or entity; whether criminal proceedings should therefore be recommended to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) for his consideration; and whether civil proceedings should be recommended to the Attorney General for his consideration.

The Prime Minister said the Las Alturas buildings H and I were designed by the PNM, the contractor was hired by the PNM, constructed by the PNM and the buildings collapsed under the PNM.
She said the project, which should have provided homes for 48 families, has cost this country over $26 million, plus another $2 million to demolish the buildings.

Persad-Bissessar noted both Rowley, who was a former housing minister under the PNM, as well as Emily Gaynor Dick-Forde, who succeeded him, have distanced themselves from the project, singing like Shaggy, “It wasn’t me”
She also pointed out PNM Senator Faris Al-Rawi was on the board of the Housing Development Corporation (HDC) when this project was born.
“The people of this country have a right to know who is accountable for this construction disaster that may soon become the new flag-bearer for the Member for Diego Martin West’s tenure as Minister of Housing,” said Persad-Bissessar.

The Prime Minister said she was disgusted when Hou­­sing Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal spoke on the matter in Parliament and she requested the file on Las Alturas be brought to her.
She provided the timeline of the start of the project to its demise (see box at right).
“So where did that money go? We have to answer that question. Should the public today do like the PNM did and sweep this matter under the carpet? Should these high- profile PNM members not be able to explain what happened under their watch?” asked Persad-Bissessar.

Construction timeline

On March 31, 2004, the former Urban Development Corporation of Trinidad and Tobago (UDeCOTT) board, led by former executive chairman Calder Hart, unanimously agreed to award a contract of $67.62 million, inclusive of VAT, to China Jiangsu International Corporation (CJIC) for the construction of 297 apartments in Lady Young Road, Morvant.
 Rowley was the line minister for UDeCOTT from November 10, 2003, to November 2007, and the decision was made under his watch.

There were early warning signs about the project as in March 2005, a letter was sent from UDeCOTT’s chief construction engineer, Ian Telfer, to Planning Associates Ltd (PAL), informing them UDeCOTT was aware of significant movement of the lower slope of the site, which may have serious repercussions with respect to the construction of the multi-storey apartment buildings in that area.
 Another letter was sent from PAL to UDeCOTT CEO Winston Agard, revealing there was evidence of land movement where Blocks F, G, H and J were located.

Despite all of this, Persad-Bissessar said, in March 2005, CJIC (who put forward the lowest bid du­ring the tendering process for the project) requested an additional $8.2 million to complete works on the Las Alturas project.

UDeCOTT then engaged Geo Tech Associates to provide geotechnical information concerning the site chosen, but the information provided failed to detect there was a partially blocked ravine and the presence of a spring on the site which contributed to slippage of the hill and, therefore, it was conceivable the total number of units to be constructed may have to be reduced by half.
 On July 30, 2007, CJIC was awarded the contract for 24 months and given possession of the site.
 The cost of the contract was $74,876,832 for 134 units in 20 buildings.

”At that time, the Member for Diego Martin West was housing minister, one Mr Andre Monteil was the chairman of the HDC and a Mr Faris Al-Rawi was a director of the HDC,” said Persad-Bissessar.
 On January 24, 2008, phase two of the project was signed between HDC & CJIC—when Dick-Forde was now housing minister.
 In October 2008, a geotechnical (subsoil) investigation report was prepared by Geotech Associates Ltd to define the foundation works for Buildings H, I and J. 
 CJIC commenced work for buildings H and I on December 8, 2008; nearly a year later in November 2009, signs of cracking were observed on the ground-floor slab of building H.
 Since 2005, red flags were raised and ignored.

In January 2010, buildings H and I were completed but despite this, a few months later in October 2010, Geotech Associates was asked to do a second soil report although cracks were seen before in 2009.
 Geotech Associates did further extensive geotechnical studies during November and December 2010 and submitted a final report, which noted the land was moving laterally and was affected by land sliding.
 Civil Engineering Management and Services (CEMAS, the company that designed Buildings H, I and J) provided additional recommendations that portions of each building (H and I) be demolished to relieve stress to the structure.

Dr Robert Ratay, an international forensic structural engineer, along with his team of structural and geotechnical experts from Sevrund Associates Consulting Engineers and Mueser Ruteledge Consulting
Engineers, were engaged to provide a report which con­cluded the lowest degree of difficulty and risk was to demolish selected units of blocks H and I and to abandon the site.

Trintoplan Consults Ltd concluded Building H was too severely damaged to be salvaged and while parts of I can be salvaged, it may be inevitable Building I would also have to be demolished.
The reason for the damage was a landslip which ran under both of the buildings.
 CJIC was awarded a contract for $67.62 million for the construction of 297 apartments.  However, UDeCOTT only managed blocks A and B, in which 56 units were built.

The HDC managed Phase 2 which encompassed Blocks C-I and yielded 116 units.
 In total therefore, only 172 apartments were constructed, which meant there was an additional 125 units which were paid for but which were never constructed.
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Scandal: Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar yesterday
« Reply #217 on: September 20, 2014, 08:23:11 AM »

Dick-Forde on Las Alturas fisaco: I was the minister

Published:
Saturday, September 20, 2014

Emily Dick-Forde
Former housing, planning and the environment minister Emily Dick-Forde says when the contract for the second phase of the Las Alturas housing development was signed between the Housing Development Corporation (HDC) and China Jiangsu International Corp (CJIC), she was the minister.

Dick-Forde told CNC3, yesterday, “Based on the date that the Prime Minister read out for the signing of the contract between the Board of Directors and the contractor to begin construction then I was the minister.” Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar said in Parliament on Thursday that the contract for phase two of the project was signed on January 24, 2008, between the HDC and CJIC.

A commission of enquiry is to be established to see if any civil or criminal proceedings should be brought because two buildings in the project had to be demolished after cracks were discovered. Persad-Bissessar said the country must know which of the former PNM ministers were in office when the project, which she said was a disaster, was constructed.

Dick-Forde said both Persad-Bissessar and Opposition leader Keith Rowley were failing to inform the public properly on the project. According to Dick-Forde, the signing of a contract for work to be done by a state agency does not involve a minister within the governance arrangements of the country. She explained that it was the board of directors and the management of the state corporation which were charged with the governing and management of a state corporation.

She said a minister could not sign contracts that would bind the corporation. “Additionally, approval from Cabinet for the construction is where the minister comes in and that is what needs to be perused,” she added. According to Dick-Forde, the requirement was “not so much to see which minister took it but was the minister and the Cabinet informed in that Cabinet note of the problems with the site when it was taken for approval.”

She said approval for a site to be developed usually occurred at times years in advance and not just before construction. Dick-Forde said the politicians, instead of educating the public on how things were done or should be done, were playing games.

“As an accounting academic, I remain appalled at the backward approach that is taken on these issues and the political games that play out at the great expense to taxpayers in whose name, ironically and unfortunately, these games are purportedly to benefit,”she said. Dick-Forde declined comment on the commission of enquiry into the project, saying that was the call of the Prime Minister.

Dick-Forde said journalists had a responsibility not just to say what each person said on an issue but to bring their own critical analysis to the matter. 0“We need to break free from these unhealthy and, at times, hypocritical exchanges and get to the real heart of the issues for the benefit of a fair and just society,” Dick-Forde said.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 20, 2014, 08:26:34 AM »
Rowley: $20m payout for lawyers
I am not responsible for collapse, says Opposition Leader

By \\\\\ Anna Ramdass anna.ramdass@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Sep 18, 2014 at 11:35 PM ECT
Story Updated: Sep 19, 2014 at 10:29 AM ECT
Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley has welcomed the probe into the Las Alturas towers but it will be a waste of taxpayers’ money, which he estimates at some $20 million which will fatten the pockets of some lawyers.

He noted in the last four years under the People’s Partnership Government, some $600 million was appropriated to pay lawyers.

Rowley spoke to the media at Parliament yesterday, following the Prime Minister’s announcement of a commission of enquiry into the hou­sing project.

“This might be one for the Guinness book of records because it’s the second time a minister has generated an enquiry into the Ministry of Housing and the second time a Prime Minister has come to this House asking where the money gone,” said Rowley.

“Clearly, the Government is fishing for something to place on my shoulder.... Inte­restingly enough, as we get towards the general election, we get into a commission of enquiry, so we had Papa Uff and now we have Baby Uff,” said Rowley.

“I tell you one thing, all this will really turn is some fat cheques for some lawyers,” he said, adding all the information with regard to this project was at the Housing Ministry and the Housing Development Corporation (HDC).

Rowley reiterated he held no responsibility for the expansion of the Las Alturas pro­ject and its collapsed buildings.

“In terms of placing the responsibility on me or any other minister, I simply want to remind you that I left the Ministry of Housing after the general election in 2007, I think that was in November, and I went on to the Ministry of Trade and from there, I left the Cabinet in April 2008,” he said.

He said the soil testing for the site of the collapsed towers was done between September 2007 and July 2008, and the contract was awarded in December 2008.

“I wasn’t even a member of the Cabinet at the time, and the first signs of failure of the building the records show were observed in 2009; I wasn’t in the Government,” he said.

He said he did have the opportunity in October 2007, before he left the Housing Ministry, to hand out the keys for the occupied units A and B of the project.

However, for the expansion of the project into phase two in 2008—he was not there.

Rowley said if called, he will appear before the enquiry to provide information.

He said he was familiar with the process, having gone before commission of enqui­ries twice before.

“I’m familiar with the process; my lawyers are on standby and I’m available. What I am not going to accept is any rewriting of the country’s record,” said Rowley.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 20, 2014, 08:33:15 AM »
Moonilal defends contractors

Radica Sookraj
Published:
Even as the Prime Minister launches a probe into the $26 million Las Alturas housing development, the main contractor in that project—China Jiangsu International Corp (CJIC)—is continuing rapid construction of the Debe law campus. In an interview yesterday, Housing Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal defended the government’s decision to hire CJIC, saying the Chinese construction giant and other sub-contractors should not be blamed for shoddy work until the commission of enquiry into Las Alturas is over.

Moonilal could not say whether CJIC was involved in other construction projects but noted that blame should not be put on CJIC, which won the UWI construction contract with a tender of $499,513,631.81. “We cannot ascribe blame to any agency or contractor, the commission of enquiry will decide that. Different entities are responsible for construction, technical planning and geotechnical work. Those who had political responsibility at that time should be blamed,” Moonilal said.

He added, “It will be unfair to blame the main contractor. We can say that the PNM was in office and Dr Keith Rowley was there.” The Las Alturas Development, off the Lady Young Road, Morvant, was constructed between 2008 and 2010 under the PNM but it had to be demolished eight months after completion in September 2010 because the structures were cracking.

But in the absence of evidence, Moonilal said, the Government was very clear that it was the PNM who should be blamed and not the consultancy groups or contractors.

National Building Code
Moonilal said the Government was unable to put a National Building Code in place because of wrangling between the National Building Code Committee and the Bureau of Standards. “We have had enormous problems with the committee over spending and accountability issues and a breakdown between the Bureau of Standards. The chairman of Building Code and bureau officials are always [at odds],” Moonilal said.

“While Cabinet has approved money we had challenges with lots of interpersonal conflict insofar that the Bureau of Standards said they do not want to work with the chairman. That is holding back the work.” He said between the next 14 and 21 days, he intended to take a note to Cabinet to make some changes to the Building Code Committee.

Asked whether there were any codes in place to prevent contractors from engaging in shoddy work, Moonilal said, “We have Town and Country Planning regulations. We are also trying to develop one national building code and once that is done it will be enforced.”

National Building Code
Moonilal said the Government was unable to put a National Building Code in place because of wrangling between the National Building Code Committee and the Bureau of Standards. “We have had enormous problems with the committee over spending and accountability issues and a breakdown between the Bureau of Standards. The chairman of Building Code and bureau officials are always [at odds],” Moonilal said.

“While Cabinet has approved money we had challenges with lots of interpersonal conflict insofar that the Bureau of Standards said they do not want to work with the chairman. That is holding back the work.” He said between the next 14 and 21 days, he intended to take a note to Cabinet to make some changes to the Building Code Committee.

Asked whether there were any codes in place to prevent contractors from engaging in shoddy work, Moonilal said, “We have Town and Country Planning regulations. We are also trying to develop one national building code and once that is done it will be enforced

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 20, 2014, 08:36:38 AM »
Something is very wrong here and it smell to high heavens . Moonilal tell me if you smelling anything.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 20, 2014, 08:43:24 AM »
Al Rawi: Land slippage could not be predicted

Richard Lord
Published:

Opposition Senator Faris Al Rawi reaches into his HDC files during yesterday’s news conference. PHOTO: ROBERTO CODALLO
Opposition Senator Faris Al Rawi told journalists it would have been impossible to know about land slippage at the site of the Las Alturas housing project in Morvant before 2009. Al Rawi made this statement during a news conference at the Office of the Leader of the Opposition, Port-of-Spain, yesterday.

The $26 million project included a nine-apartment building complex. Announcing a commission of enquiry into the project in Parliament on Thursday, the Prime Minister said Al Rawi was a member of the HDC board when the contract was issued. But Al Rawi walked with boxes of HDC board minutes and other documents yesterday to deny the claim. He said his appointment at the HDC was terminated several months before any public information was released about the land slippage at the site.

“At no time whatsoever in my tenure and in those board minutes has any information come forward which demonstrated that there was a cause for concern that a reasonable and responsible member of the board should have agitated by way of further investigation,” he added. Al Rawi also said, “None of the board minutes, none of the Tenders Committee reports demonstrate any issue which any minister should have acted upon.”

He added that the minister’s responsibility “is significantly removed in terms of projects that come to his attention.” According to Al Rawi, the firm Geotech Associates Ltd did several reports for the contracting company, China Jiangsu International Corporation (CJIC), and not for the HDC. He said the report noted, “the first time one would have been aware of slippage concerns or problems on the site was late October/November 2009.”

He added, “They made a further statement in their summary reports that it was impossible for this fault to have been located.” He said the company further indicated that “the manner in which the project was constructed was proper, that the type of foundation used was proper.”

Al Rawi said the company also “confirmed that certainly no information was sent to the HDC as to concerns that the geotechnical information would require the contractor to not build on that site.” Accusing Persad-Bissessar of being irresponsible, Al Rawi said she must be aware that legal proceedings were being contemplated against CJIC and that there were potential legal proceedings against the geotechnical experts, the project manager and other consultants.

He said the PM must be aware of the forensic report produced on the project for the HDC. He said the PM, therefore, should know that “you ought not to call a commission of enquiry in law because people will claim the right of self-incrimination.” Al Rawi said the contractor and others “are going to say that they are going to rely upon the constitutional right against self-incrimination in providing evidence.”

News

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 20, 2014, 08:49:23 AM »
"Political Mischief" is right yes.. My question is why Kamla waited until close to election season to do all her probing on this issue. She had since 2010 hmmm

http://www.tv6tnt.com/sevenpm-news/Rowley-Hits-Back-at-Las-Alturas-Claims--2612---275862551.html

« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 09:26:07 AM by Sando prince »

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 20, 2014, 10:12:02 AM »
Why is moonilall coonilall defending the contractor ?

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 20, 2014, 01:59:35 PM »
Why she doh start a Commission of Enquiry into she self and she whole damn government??!!  Steups!!!
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: September 20, 2014, 07:49:52 PM »
Check Dr. Rowley's full-length Press Conference on Las Alturas at this link: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154634520815472&fref=nf
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 20, 2014, 10:31:46 PM »
Check Dr. Rowley's full-length Press Conference on Las Alturas at this link: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154634520815472&fref=nf

This election season expect everything to be thrown from the PP government hoping that something will stick

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 21, 2014, 06:31:02 AM »
$26m Las Alturas towers matter now in AG’s hands

Shaliza Hassanali
Published:
Sunday, September 21, 2014
The controversial $26 million Las Alturas towers which were demolished due to structural problems are now engaging the attention of Attorney General Anand Ramlogan. This was revealed by Housing Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal, who said they were looking at the legal options available to the Government and the Ministry of Housing.

On Thursday, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar called for a commission of enquiry into the construction of Las Alturas housing project, after raising concerns about the two towers valued $26 million, which had to be demolished. Persad-Bissessar said Dr Keith Rowley, who was a former housing minister under the PNM, as well as Emily Gaynor Dick-Forde, who succeeded him, have distanced themselves from blame.

Rowley has welcomed the probe, but said it would be another waste of millions of taxpayers’ dollars.  Dick-Forde, in a Guardian article yesterday, claimed that when the contract for the second phase of Las Alturas was signed between the Housing Development Corporation (HDC) and China Jiangsu International Corp (CJIC), she was the minister.

However, last week, in an interview with the Sunday Guardian, Dick-Forde had indicated that she did “not know anything at all about that building and had no recollection of ever approaching Cabinet for that project.” She also said when she took over HDC from Rowley, she inherited “a mess.”

Robert Ratay called in
Moonilal said in 2011 the HDC called in Dr Robert Ratay, an international forensic structural engineer, along with his team of structural and geotechnical experts from Sevrund Associates Consulting Engineers and Mueser Ruteledge Consulting. He said Ratay and his associates were to review the structural drawings and geotechnical reports, assess the conclusions of various reports, conduct independent investigations if warranted, recommend remedial action, and provide litigation support if required.

“We needed an independent body to give expert and technical advice on the towers. “Moonilal said the team raised several engineering issues. “Then the HDC started to look for approvals and for the technical report on the site, but we got none. So we got suspicious. I inherited a lot of problems at the HDC.”

Moonilal said he did not see this issue “as political” since the forensic work was done by an international agency. “They are not into politics. They are an independent body.”

About Ratay

Dr Ratay is a consulting structural engineer in private practice with nearly 50 years of design, construction, and teaching experience, and an adjunct professor at Columbia University in New York. He has been an expert consultant/witness for engineers, contractors, owners, attorneys and insurance companies in the investigation and litigation support of over 200 cases of structural problems.

Earlier in his career he had been a structural designer in practice, and professor, chairman and dean of engineering in academia.

Ratay’s recommendation

Ratay cited the demolition of Buildings H and I as the option with the lowest degree of difficulty risk and exposure. Local engineering consultants Trintoplan Consultants Ltd were also engaged by the HDC to assess the conditions of the buildings and give their opinion concluded in their report that both buildings should be demolished.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 21, 2014, 06:59:23 AM »
Al-Rawi: HDC moving to recover $$ from Chinese firm
By Ria Taitt
Story Created: Sep 19, 2014 at 11:39 PM ECT
Story Updated: Sep 19, 2014 at 11:39 PM ECT
The Housing Development Corporation (HDC) is moving to pursue legal claims against China Jiangzu, the contractor involved in the construction of two $26 million towers at Las Alturas, which suffered engineering failure and had to be demolished.

Why is Moonilal defending the contractor ? I thought he would be helping the HDC to recover the monies from China Jiangzu. 

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 21, 2014, 06:33:35 PM »
So wait.

The contractor not to blame...but....Rowley is...even though he wasnt the minister at the time.

This government exceeds normal levels of intelligence yes.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 21, 2014, 10:03:26 PM »
So wait.

The contractor not to blame...but....Rowley is...even though he wasnt the minister at the time.

But the challenge for the PNM is to form this narrative in a way the average man who selling coconut water on the street will understand what happened.  Kamla and the PP will try paint a simple picture of Rowley being responsible because he was a Minister at the beginning. A simple narrative to fool the electorate.

Understand the average man on the street is not going to dig into the issues like you are doing to find out Rowley had already left the Ministry when all the shit happened. So the PNM has to take lead in this issue by forming a narrative that is simple for the average man on the street to understand.  You understand?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 11:23:53 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 22, 2014, 05:33:04 AM »
So wait.

But the challenge for the PNM is to form this narrative in a way the average man who selling coconut water on the street will understand what happened.  Kamla and the PP will try paint a simple picture of Rowley being responsible because he was a Minister at the beginning. A simple narrative to fool the electorate.

Understand the average man on the street is not going to dig into the issues like you are doing to find out Rowley had already left the Ministry when all the shit happened. So the PNM has to take lead in this issue by forming a narrative that is simple for the average man on the street to understand.  You understand?

If is one thing this government have down cold is changing a conversation to fool the masses.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 22, 2014, 07:47:51 AM »
So wait.

If is one thing this government have down cold is changing a conversation to fool the masses.

They did it in 2010 and it worked for them so we can't blame them for trying the same strategy again.
Hopefully this time round the general public after suffering from being robbed blind under this government for the past 4 years will realizse that they were clearly conned and would not make the same mistake twice.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This sounds like another Life Sport!! Is like the corruption never stops under this PP government!!

Rowley: Fire NGC board
By Ria Taitt Political Editor (T&T Express)
Story Created: Mar 9, 2015 at 9:34 PM ECT

Dr. Keith Rowley PNM Leader

Fire the National Gas Company (NGC) board immediately.

This call was made yesterday by Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley at a press conference yesterday as he commented on the “scandalous behaviour of the board” of the State enterprise.

Rowley also called on the Integrity Commission to “intervene” in this “scandalous rape of the Treasury”.

Rowley said when the Prime Minister attacked David West and her own minister, Gary Griffith, in her address (in which she announced the resignation of the former attorney general Anand Ramlogan), she was sending a message to persons in the State enterprise and public service who are sitting on information on government wrongdoing, that they would face her wrath and the wrath of her government if they spoke up. He said the NGC got the message loud and clear.

“The management and board of NGC is doing the unthinkable,...deciding like the Prime Minister that persons who may have information which is now in the public, such persons are to be terrorised,” he said. He said it was like LifeSport all over again.

He said in the newspapers (Express) yesterday, a retired auditor of the NGC was expressing concern about the safety of auditors at NGC, who are standing their ground that a document (The Final Draft Audit Report on Corporate Communications Management) was a genuine official NGC document, in contradiction to NGC’s advertisements that it is a rough draft. Rowley said NGC was now “challenging the competence of the auditors... who have come under fire”.

Rowley called on the Minister of National Security to ensure that persons involved in the audit are safe. He said the NGC had removed the auditors and put them into junior subsidiary companies and was now advertising for new auditors “who would do their bidding”.

“The NGC is now looking for cronies to put in the audit department so that they could continue with this raiding of the Treasury,” Rowley said. He called for the reinstatement of the auditors.

He said the NGC’s money, which is substantial, is now the Government’s piggybank, to be used for the benefit of the ruling party in the elections. Rowley said the NGC was acting against the spirit and letter of the Representation of the People Act.

He said the NGC’s map of the country showed that it was reviewing its expenditure on the basis of constituency. Calling out the sums for PNM-held seats as opposed to the “preferential treatment” being given to marginal seats and UNC held seat, Rowley said: “This is the UNC election campaign being rolled out”.

Citing constituency contributions from the NGC-produced map, Rowley noted that Laventille East got $11,000 while Tabaquite got $11 million.

Referring to the “explosion of expenditure” under heads “some of which are quite contrived”, such as “reputation and branding” which received $20 million this year, is available to the Government to pay for all its ridiculous PR campaigns and brain-washing exercises.

“And while this is going on to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars the Integrity is totally absent,” he said, adding that if situation like these develops in the public sector the Integrity Commission has a duty to intervene and to take the relevant steps to ensure that persons who may have misconducted themselves in this way are held accountable.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 06:05:08 PM by Socapro »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The background needed for this really.

1) NGC Spends 1 million in fete tickets
Over $1 million was spent on tickets to all-inclusive fetes by the National Gas Company (NGC) for Carnival 2015.

A substantial number of the tickets were purchased for just one fete the South Cancer Support Group.

Priced at $1,600 a ticket, the NGC spent $352,000 on 220 tickets for the fete, which took place on January 31.

An invoice dated January 26 was circulated on social media on Friday evening, with the caption, “$0.3 mil­lion in fete tickets. Your Go­vernment work­ing for you”.

2) Expensive Happiness at NGC

When it comes to reputation and branding, National Gas Company (NGC) has principally tasked that job to Ross Advertising Ltd.
In 2012 and 2013, there was no provision for the expenditure in the company’s corporate communications budget.
But in 2014 the sum spent on reputation and branding was $20.4 million, principally on its “Happiness” campaign, which is managed by Earnie Ross.

The Happiness Campaign revolves around the tagline, “If happiness were a sound what would it be”, with the letters “pp” in happiness being underlined.
Independent Senator Helen Drayton, who spent 24 years at RBTT in marketing and communications, raised the issue in her column in the Guardian newspaper on January 25, stating that it “could be misconstrued as subliminal political advertising ostensibly designed to convey a corporate identity by focusing people on happiness”.
“The designers of the ad attempted to link the letters ‘pp’ with the positive emotion of happiness. Perceptually, the arc used the way it is in the advertisement is symbolical of the familiar smiley button, the letters pp are associated with the words people and partnership,” she said.
“Are we to believe the arc is innocent playfulness on these letters? Is this politically neutral branding? Is it just a campaign to encourage people to think about what makes them happy? Is this a necessary service to the country? It is profligate spending at its worst. It is the epitome of visual masking. Could there be innocence in spending public monies on deceitful political party branding?” Drayton had questioned.

I cant find the other articles in between at the moment. They involved among other thingsan alleged constituency map which was used for spending and CSR.

But today's papers has this headline

VP BITES THE DUST
Energy Minister appoints committee to probe allegations

By Asha Javeed asha.javeed@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Mar 10, 2015 at 9:56 PM ECT
Story Updated: Mar 10, 2015 at 10:46 PM ECT
Tension at the National Gas Company (NGC) following an expose by the Express on the State enterpri­se’s spending spree has led to the dis­missal of the company’s vice-presi­dent of human and corporate rela­tions —Cassandra Patrovani-Sylvester—and a realignment of its manage­ment structure.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Faris on ngc the new lifesport

Story Updated: Mar 10, 2015 at 10:00 PM ECT
Is there such as a thing as too much happiness?
Well, according to one opposition senator, too much ha-pp-ness may be draining public funds and spawning a new life sport.

http://www.tv6tnt.com/sevenpm-news/-Faris-on-ngc-the-new-lifesport---295840611.html

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Howai distances himself from NGC spending
« Reply #236 on: March 12, 2015, 06:01:35 AM »

Howai distances himself from NGC spending
By Ria Taitt Political Editor (T&T Express)
Story Created: Mar 11, 2015 at 11:29 PM ECT

Finance Minister Larry Howai

Port-of-Spain

Finance Minister Larry Howai has made it clear the increased spending referred to in the report of the auditors of the National Gas Company (NGC) took place after he gave up the chairmanship of the State-owned company.

Opposition Senator Faris Al-Rawi yesterday called on Howai to declare whether there is any conflict of interest in his ultimate supervision of the NGC issue.

Howai was appointed chairman of NGC in October 2010 and left the company in June 2012, to become Finance Minister.

Al-Rawi said because the NGC audit report considered expenditure in the period 2012 to 2014, Howai should be made to declare whether there is any conflict of interest in him overseeing the investigation by the three-man committee esta­blished under the aegis of the Ministry of Finance and the Ministry of Energy.

But Howai noted in an e-mail response last night the increases in spending at NGC took place after he left the company.

“Why would that affect my ability to review the matter?” he asked.

Al-Rawi said the People’s Nation­al Movement (PNM) was immediately concerned the investigation of the most recent scandal at NGC be conducted by independent auditors.

He said without reflecting negatively on any of the good persons appointed on the committee, it was essential there is public confidence that the management of NGC is in pristine order since the company was about to go into an IPO (initial public offering) of Phoenix Park shares.

Al-Rawi said with the massive drop in energy prices and the magnitude of this scandal, the PNM felt the Phoenix Park IPO should be deferred. He said one cannot put the IPO into the hands of NGC when there are serious questions about its capability and competence, and this is worsened by the reports members of the audit team have been transferred.

Opposition Leader Dr Keith Row­ley, in calling for an indepen­dent forensic probe into expenditure by NGC, stated Energy Minister Kevin Ramnarine had already suggested he expected the NGC board to be exonerated.

In the Senate on Tuesday, Ramnarine stated the company had a plausible explanation for many of the allegations being made in the media.

“Therefore, the appointment of this committee is in preparation of a cover-up of some kind or in preparation of a still-born activity which will generate no result for the public in a timely manner,” Rowley said.

Rowley said what was required was a respectful and truthful acknowledgement of the work of the auditors that is contained in the auditors’ report. He reiterated the board must be held accountable and as such should be immediately dismissed, and the Integrity Commission should immediately intervene.

“The Integrity Commission has a responsibility, where public officials have misconducted themselves with public assets, to intervene,” Rowley stated.

He noted while the committee established by the Minister to inves­tigate NGC is made up of prominent members of the Public Service and the private sector, one member of the committee, Phillip Marshall, had previously been in charge of an examination of allegations of squandermania at Caribbean Airlines (CAL), and the report of this investigation was never brought to Parliament or made public.

Ramnarine announced on Tuesday a three-man committee would investigate allegations made against NGC.

This followed a report from the company’s auditors which detailed apparent mismanagement of the communications budget, which ballooned from $67 million in 2012 to $200 million in 2014.

Meanwhile, PNM MP Patricia McIntosh stated the NGC expenditure in respective constituencies indicated $5 million was spent in her constituency, Port of Spain North/St Ann’s West.

“I am the Member of Parliament and I have no idea where this money was spent. Who got this money?” she asked.

McIntosh said she knew nothing about this $5 million and had no evidence of such expenditure in the constituency.

She said Port of Spain South MP Marlene McDonald was equally baffled as to where the almost $5 million was spent in her constituency.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 06:07:59 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Name of Penal ground sparks outrage online
« Reply #237 on: March 12, 2015, 08:04:15 AM »
This story proves that the NGC has been distributing state funds in a biased manner based upon if you are based in a PP/UNC stronghold.

The East Indian Recreation Ground in Lachoos Road, Penal gets money from NGC for an upgrade while the Africa Recreation Ground in Enterprise, Chaguanas gets nothing but this is the typical bias we have been seeing under the current PP government.

Name of Penal ground sparks outrage online
By Sandhya Santoo and Carolyn Kissoon (T&T Express)
Story Created: Mar 11, 2015 at 11:27 PM ECT

DIVISIVE: A passer-by views the sign for the Soogrim Ramdhaniesingh Recreation Ground also known as the "East Indian Recreation Ground" at Lachoos Road, Penal. Photo: INNIS FRANCIS

Penal

THE unusual name of a cricket field in Penal has become the topic of divisive discussion on social networking sites.

A photograph posted on Facebook showing the “East Indian Recreation Ground” in Lachoos Road has led some to conclude the venue was open to one race only.

The ground is one of the facilities State-owned National Gas Company (NGC) is spending money on to rehabilitate, and a sign stating “Upgrade of East Indian Recreation Ground” has outraged many, who have labelled the company and Government as being racist.

However, Penal/Debe Regional Corporation chairman Premchand Sookoo explained the recreation ground got its name almost 50 years ago.

He said the facility was operated by a non-governmental organisation—East Indian Sports and Cultural Club.

Sookoo said the rec­reation facility was known as the “East Indian Ground” by members of the community, not because only East Indians were allowed to use it but because it was operated by the organisation.

The facility was later renamed Soogrim Ramdhaniesingh Recreation Ground after the founder of East Indian Sports and Cultural Club.

Sookoo said no complaints have been made to the regional corporation in relation to the name of the facility.

It was pointed out there was an “Africa Recreation Ground” in Enterprise, Chaguanas, which had existed for many years without an issue being raised.

Sookoo advised should anyone request a change of name, a petition has to be filed at the regional corporation for consideration.

Housing Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal said he was not aware of any controversy regarding the recreation ground.

The Express yesterday visited Lachoos Road where residents explained how the name came about.

Ramdhaniesingh’s wi­dow, 80-year-old Dhan­mattee, said her husband was an avid athlete and there was no place for community members to participate in cultural and sporting activities.

She said land which was owned by her husband was donated to the community as a recreation facility.

Rodney Roopnarine, a resident, also said the facility got its name from the East Indian Sports and Cultural Club, which was established by Ramdhaniesingh and other residents in 1959.

And the unofficial name became the East Indian Recreation Ground, he said.

Roopnarine said the organisation was formed as the community was populated by mainly East Indians.

The recreation ground was officially given the name Soogrim Ramdhaniesingh Recreation Ground about ten years ago, he said.

Jewan Persad, a former member of the club, said documents were sent to the Penal/Debe Regional Corporation. He said when the process was completed, the regional corporation would be responsible for maintenance of the facility.

Dhanmattee Ramdhaniesingh said she was not aware NGC was conducting rehabilitation work on the facility.

“But I am happy that it will be upgraded and facilities are being put in place for those who use the ground,” she said.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 06:08:15 PM by Socapro »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
East Indian Recreational Ground... Africa Recreational Ground.  Not the same.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This so unfortunate because if you look at the pic...there is an old sign with another name for the ground on the right. One can only wonder yes.....

1]; } ?>