March 28, 2024, 11:17:53 AM

Author Topic: Dr Keith Rowley Thread.  (Read 118689 times)

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Rowley suspended from House
« Reply #270 on: May 10, 2015, 04:10:44 AM »
loves the football threads, but hates the politics of our country.
the speaker of the house seems to be in favor of the pp government seeing he always sides with them on their silly motions.

it's quite clear to behold that this man has his biases, how could he allow this motion? this be a conflict of interest on his path.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 10, 2015, 06:47:28 AM »
When the member for Siparia raised a letter from Dhansook that led to two ministers being fired from the government and then those allegations were found to be false after due process... What censure was brought against that member? Was any apology forthcoming? When the speaker read from a letter and wrongfully attributed it to the court wasn't that defended by the government? Ah well.

Four legs good... Two legs better.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 10, 2015, 08:40:23 AM »

So tell me how is it that this suspension can be justified by  one proclamation that " lies" to destroy a government would be punished yet when  allegations which were later found to be untruths by Vernella against Mr Rowley has gone Unpunished? Attempts at character defamation seems to be an " open" choice when presented in parliment. It seems like the House Speaker's ability to be impartial and to maintain order is severely
La king and no existence along with a " puppet" muted President. Judicial procedures and matters of due process of Parlimentry proceedings seems very questionable.
Gs

Daly: Rowley’s suspension ‘deeply troubling’

Reshma Ragoonath
Published: Trinidad Guardian
Sunday, May 10, 2015

Martin Daly
Senior Counsel Martin Daly says the suspension of the Leader of the Opposition from the House of Representatives is “deeply troubling.”

To make such a move, he said, without the intervention of the Privileges Committee could “readily lead to oppression of an Opposition by the party in Government.”

Last Wednesday, Rowley was suspended for the remainder of the parliamentary term after a Government motion calling for Rowley’s censure and his suspension was passed in the House.

The motion was centered around the 31 emails, purporting to come from Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar and other members of her Cabinet, which Rowley read out in Parliament in May 2013. The emails allegedly revealed a plot between Persad-Bissessar and certain cabinet members to murder a journalist, bug the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions and commit other acts of misconduct in public office.

Yesterday, Daly, in a statement, contended that he had great difficulty accepting the manner in which the Leader of the Opposition originally dealt with the alleged emails, “but I had hoped that the Integrity Commission would conduct an appropriate and expeditious investigation having regard to the potential for lasting reputational damage to those whom the alleged emails implicated in serious wrongdoing.”

However, he said, the fundamental difficulty about Rowley’s suspension “is that it is not possible credibly to establish by means of a parliamentary debate whether material presented in Parliament, spoken or written, is true or false or authentic or bogus.”

Truth and authenticity, he argued, were essentially matters of fact and thus required the facts “to be found by a body properly constituted and equipped to receive and assess evidence relevant to the issue of whether the challenged material is false or not authentic.”

In the context of speech and presentation in Parliament, he said, “the Privileges Committee is obviously the body that should carry out the appropriate exercise.”

When the Privileges Committee sat, he said, there were defined thresholds of proof which those accusing a member of the House of misleading the House must cross and the accused member has the benefit of having his counsel present.

“Whatever the conclusion of the Privileges Committee, the public will see the reasons for the Committee’s finding when it reports back to Parliament. There is also opportunity for members of the Committee to dissent from a majority view in the report for reasons that can be stated for the scrutiny of the public. In addition the report may be debated, thereby providing more of the clear light of public scrutiny,” Daly added.

However, he said, as others have pointed out, “the use of a simple parliamentary majority on the conclusion of a debate on a motion to suspend a member, without the prior intervention of a fact-finding body such as the Privileges Committee, can readily lead to oppression of an Opposition by the party in Government.”

A proceeding before the Privileges Committee did not have the arbitrary character of a simple majority vote in the House of Representatives, he added.

Daly restated his position that he had no party political affiliation and his comments were motivated by a desire that fairness prevail.

He also said he had “recent and grave concerns about the seeming lack of any independent guidance from the Speaker of the House who, from the moment he takes the chair, has a duty to be fair and balanced.”

Daly said the duty of a Speaker was superior to any party affiliation or obligation that a Speaker may have.

“In view of the pending expiry of this Parliament it is unnecessary at this stage to do more than record this concern and hope that we can do better in the next Parliament,” he concluded.

News

Previous Article
Moonilal: PNM MPs should return salariesNext Article
Sando hospital staff say no to shutdown

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 11, 2015, 11:00:33 AM »
the speaker of the house seems to be in favor of the pp government seeing he always sides with them on their silly motions.

That is an understatement. He totally bias. I think in the future,  the speaker of the house should not come from the party that wins. They should figure out a way to get someone who is "independent". Mark is totally rubbish.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 11, 2015, 01:43:03 PM »

That is an understatement. He totally bias. I think in the future,  the speaker of the house should not come from the party that wins. They should figure out a way to get someone who is "independent". Mark is totally rubbish.

The Speaker inevitably has to have the favor of the side holding the majority. While they may put someone they want, I cant think of an instance in the past where the bias has been this palpable. In addition, Wade Mark was the leader of government business in the senate...so he was a front line member. I cant recall anything similar. The most may have been the deputy speaker and in any case the expectation is that you have to be unbiased when functioning.....something wade mark seems incapable of.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Dr Keith Rowley Thread.
« Reply #275 on: May 16, 2015, 01:54:55 PM »
Never in the history have I witness  a blatant disregard and utter disrespect for another- there appears to be no dignity and scruples as to how leaders enact in parliment- there is a kind of " political gangster " mentality that is permeating throughout this government . Very sad to see. Our youths our future have to live through these as models of leadership sad- Fortunate for me to have  seen, read and listened to Dr. Eric Williams and to experienced his ideals for a nation-

Today what the youths have to hang on to is nothing but a tramsparent lucid flimsy foundation less ideals bent on dividing a nation as oppose to having an agenda of unity and national identity. IMHO

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 16, 2015, 09:02:57 PM »
This video give a good insight into the man life. I can't help but mention the man has a beautiful wife.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qPkgZp0syz0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qPkgZp0syz0</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #277 on: May 21, 2015, 01:52:14 AM »
Kamla wants Rowley to resign
By Richard Lord (Guardian).

‘Evil plan failed’

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar yesterday called on Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley to resign immediately in the wake of word from the Integrity Commission that its investigation into the May 2013 Emailgate matter had been closed. She made the comment in the House of Representatives yesterday while making a statement on the matter.

She began by recalling that it was exactly two years ago when Rowley, in presenting a motion of no confidence against her, told the Parliament about a thread of 31 emails which he said was allegedly exchanged among Persad-Bissessar, then attorney general Anand Ramlogan, Cabinet ministers Dr Suruj Rambachan and Dr Roodal Moonilal and then national security adviser Gary Griffith.

The matter was referred to the Integrity Commission for investigation by Rowley days after his presentation in Parliament, while Persad-Bissessar called on the police to investigate the alleged emails. But in a letter to Persad-Bissessar’s attorney Israel Khan, SC, on Tuesday, the Integrity Commission said it was “satisfied that there are no or insufficient grounds for continuing the investigation... and accordingly this investigation is hereby terminated.”

Yesterday, Persad-Bissessar also reminded legislators that Google Inc had previously filed a sworn declaration in a California, USA, court confirming that the email account anan@gmail.com (which was said to be that of Ramlogan) “did not exist and were therefore fake.” She recalled that Rowley had “repeatedly expressed a clear preference for an investigation by the Integrity Commission over that of the police.”

She said consequently, Rowley “must now do the honourable thing and tender his resignation as Leader of the Opposition and MP for Diego Martin West forthwith.” Persad-Bissessar said the Emailgate matter was a “treacherous and evil plan” which “was designed to destroy me and members of my Government.”

She said she was happy to be vindicated by the ruling of the commission, as it confirmed “Emailgate was a dangerous political strategy that was doomed to fail because there was absolutely no truth to it.” She said Rowley, in making his allegation, was “not simply careless, he was deliberately reckless and irresponsible.”

Not end of road, says PNM leader

Speaking to the T&T Guardian yesterday, however, Rowley, who was suspended from Parliament over the issue, said he was not giving any serious consideration to the PM’s call for his resignation. “That is ‘Kamla-speak’ and she is speaking to herself and her MPs in Parliament. The rest of the population know what is taking place,” he said, adding he had no intention of resigning as Opposition Leader.

He insisted the police “investigation is ongoing and no matter what turns up at the end of the probe, it does not mean that an investigation was not warranted.” Rowley said Persad-Bissessar, more than anyone else in the country, should know what was available to an MP with information about public officials requiring investigation.

He recalled it was Persad-Bissessar, as an Opposition MP, who took similar action in an alleged matter involving former PNM councillor Dansam Dhansook and two PNM government ministers, Franklin Khan and Eric Williams. Those allegations were subsequently recanted and the matter discontinued.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #278 on: May 21, 2015, 04:53:35 AM »
Why rats are so afraid of cat ?
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 28, 2015, 11:38:48 AM »

Rowley: UNC was once his biggest defender

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20150527/news/rowley-unc-was-once-his-biggest-defender

Rowley also recalled that it was he who as Opposition Leader took issue very early with Warner being a member of the Cabinet while holding the position of FIFA vice-president. He said one of the reasons for his objection was his view that problems with FIFA and football, could very well have ended up being Trinidad and Tobago problems and could have affected its image. "And that is exactly what happened," he said.

Rowley stressed at that time, the UNC was Warner's biggest defender, the Prime Minister describing him as "her rock". "We (the PNM) claim no ownership, except that Mr Warner is a parliamentary colleague," he said

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 01, 2015, 09:40:43 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5cKb8akg97s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5cKb8akg97s</a>

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 12, 2015, 04:09:42 PM »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 16, 2015, 03:10:03 PM »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 19, 2015, 06:21:12 AM »
Dr.Rowley,
Admist  the " Commess" and political bantering among " one time political allies and perceived friends now turned adversaries, it would best to simply "hush up" stay quiet. Grap a bowl of popcorn and watch the blows fly. Getting sucked in to allegations and asking questions of the current allegations is like trying to add gasoline to a burning fire. The damage has already been done.

Stay out  the limelight of this one- let "the two dogs - one time partners fight for a political  bone" you know how that would end . Stay focused on the  the current governance or lack thereof.  At this time the unity and appeal to the grassroots sectors of the PNM must be most urgent and competent in its mandate, integrity of its chosen individuals and upright in appealing to and resolute in doing what is right for the citizens of TnT. As a nationwe expect better than what we are getting from some " get rich" "eat ah food"  incompetent  ministers.
So to you ,isy stay strong and guide  with a moral compass.Avoid the political banter and clandestine deals of fringe parties seeking to carve up , to divide and to create  lines of ethnic demarcation onthe local landscape .Take  the high  road and seek genuine unity for all.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 08:58:49 AM by AB.Trini »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: July 24, 2015, 12:01:17 PM »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 28, 2015, 04:19:57 PM »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XzCC9e4Hw-c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XzCC9e4Hw-c</a>

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 28, 2015, 08:19:39 PM »
I took in the conversation live. The question about a fixed date for elections is mine.....:)

But I love the format.....if you want to hear the issues, those sessions are a good place to start.....I think this was the 3rd session.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 30, 2015, 10:27:21 PM »
I took in the conversation live. The question about a fixed date for elections is mine.....:)

But I love the format.....if you want to hear the issues, those sessions are a good place to start.....I think this was the 3rd session.....

:D you rhel involved in the politics Brownsugar  :beermug:

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 31, 2015, 08:20:15 AM »

T'was a good question - his answer seemed fairly genuine. He seemed more in favour of the fixed dates rather than term limits.

I liked the format of the discussion. As usual, Rowley is an intelligent man who generally has reasonable things to say. He was a lot less political here in the sense of blaming the UNC/PP in every response, which is probably as a result of where the forum was being held. Couple of things that made me raise my eyebrow:

• He never answered the question about the problems the private sector competing with higher wages/less work in the public sector. The answer would have required some criticism of inefficiency in the public sector and/or a commitment to reform, and he stayed away from the topic.
  • I'm not convinced that his proposed local government reform would change the party politics. It still would remain easy for the government to financially starve the local governments not aligned to the same party with the national government, even if they're supposed to be responsible for more delivery
  • I was unimpressed with the responses of Edmund Dillon and his opening. He gave very vague responses, and only specifics were in his opening marks to mention OPVs (despite most drugs coming in through legal ports), SAUTT (which was never properly legal to operate) and Intelligence (when failures in basic police training and justice are far more pressing). He didn't answer the question at all about addressing long delays in the court/justice system.

I was more impressed with what Ralph Brown said in his question about basic police training and de-militarization, and I'm glad Rowley endorsed his comments. That said, I'm not sure if we end up with a PNM gov't and Dillon as the national security minister, we would really get a change in the approach to crime fighting which has consisted of buying expensive toys, militarizing the police, and ignoring the less flashy fundamentals by the last 4 administrations.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #291 on: July 31, 2015, 02:15:16 PM »

T'was a good question - his answer seemed fairly genuine. He seemed more in favour of the fixed dates rather than term limits.

I liked the format of the discussion. As usual, Rowley is an intelligent man who generally has reasonable things to say. He was a lot less political here in the sense of blaming the UNC/PP in every response, which is probably as a result of where the forum was being held. Couple of things that made me raise my eyebrow:

• He never answered the question about the problems the private sector competing with higher wages/less work in the public sector. The answer would have required some criticism of inefficiency in the public sector and/or a commitment to reform, and he stayed away from the topic.
  • I'm not convinced that his proposed local government reform would change the party politics. It still would remain easy for the government to financially starve the local governments not aligned to the same party with the national government, even if they're supposed to be responsible for more delivery
  • I was unimpressed with the responses of Edmund Dillon and his opening. He gave very vague responses, and only specifics were in his opening marks to mention OPVs (despite most drugs coming in through legal ports), SAUTT (which was never properly legal to operate) and Intelligence (when failures in basic police training and justice are far more pressing). He didn't answer the question at all about addressing long delays in the court/justice system.

I was more impressed with what Ralph Brown said in his question about basic police training and de-militarization, and I'm glad Rowley endorsed his comments. That said, I'm not sure if we end up with a PNM gov't and Dillon as the national security minister, we would really get a change in the approach to crime fighting which has consisted of buying expensive toys, militarizing the police, and ignoring the less flashy fundamentals by the last 4 administrations.

good points...

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 03, 2015, 09:50:37 AM »

Dr Keith Rowley in the Emancipation Day Parade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtrNvPa2ESc

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 13, 2015, 10:23:12 AM »

Keith Subero Interview about assassination plot and persecution of Dr. Rowley on TV6 —

https://www.facebook.com/PNMTT/videos/10155940073285472/

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 13, 2015, 05:36:26 PM »

:D you rhel involved in the politics Brownsugar  :beermug:

Boy, I had to get more involved than I normally would in the past 5 years thanks to Kams and she Mottley crew.....that woman make me learn so much about the constitution and Parliamentary Proceedings and government overall than I originally cared to.  Dais why they cyar BS me with their "Kamla 2015" campaign....
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 07:39:46 AM by Brownsugar »
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 13, 2015, 05:49:10 PM »

Keith Subero Interview about assassination plot and persecution of Dr. Rowley on TV6 —

https://www.facebook.com/PNMTT/videos/10155940073285472/

Towards the end he said that Chag East is a marginal.  I find people throwing around this term marginal kinda loosely. By no stretch of the imagination is Chag East a marginal.  Stephen Cadiz won by over 3,000 votes in 2010.

They also refer to Arima as a marginal.  True Roger Samuel won over Laurel Lezama-Lee Singh by about 200+ votes but Arima is in no way a marginal. That result was an anomaly from 2010 that would correct itself in 2015.......St. Joseph and Tunapuna....now dem is marginals!!!
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 15, 2015, 04:05:22 PM »
Well the picture distorted for two reasons. I think a marginal is defined as a seat won with less than two thousand votes during the last poll. The last two polls were anomalies because of their context... Interestingly opposite. 2007 had a three party split.... 2010 had a two party race.

St Joseph now tight but I think the UNC demographic may have it... But I personally hope deyalsingh retains his seat. Tunapuna... Well... Tight as usual but given the choice of candidates I think forde has the edge.

Will wait and see how it plays out.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 15, 2015, 08:25:02 PM »

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 16, 2015, 07:28:52 AM »
Well the picture distorted for two reasons. I think a marginal is defined as a seat won with less than two thousand votes during the last poll. The last two polls were anomalies because of their context... Interestingly opposite. 2007 had a three party split.... 2010 had a two party race.

St Joseph now tight but I think the UNC demographic may have it... But I personally hope deyalsingh retains his seat. Tunapuna... Well... Tight as usual but given the choice of candidates I think forde has the edge.

I have two people in my circle one from each constituency of Tunapuna and St. Joseph.  They both tell me over and over both seats gone PNM already......in fact, mih St. Joseph friend was telling me yesterday two staunch UNC supporters in the area told her they are voting PNM in 2015.  She went into shock.  She said they would have never come out and said something like that if they weren't serious.....dey both fed up of the UNC in its present incarnation.....

Interesting times are ahead.........
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 16, 2015, 01:14:12 PM »

I have two people in my circle one from each constituency of Tunapuna and St. Joseph.  They both tell me over and over both seats gone PNM already......in fact, mih St. Joseph friend was telling me yesterday two staunch UNC supporters in the area told her they are voting PNM in 2015.  She went into shock.  She said they would have never come out and said something like that if they weren't serious.....dey both fed up of the UNC in its present incarnation.....

Interesting times are ahead.........

Well I hope that happens....I rate Deyalsingh. Anyhow...we'll keep this in the actual election thread. I posted the maps of the past results to aid discussions like this.

1]; } ?>