April 18, 2024, 06:24:08 PM

Author Topic: Allen Stanford: 20/20 can replace football as the biggest game in world sport  (Read 1131 times)

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Billionaire Sir Allen Stanford believes Twenty20 cricket can replace football as the biggest game in world sport.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/7365683.stm

The Texan told BBC Sport he was ready to invest in an English version of the Indian Premier League and predicted it could be worth as much as £500m.

"Twenty20 has the potential to be the most popular team sport in the whole world in maybe less than 10 years.

"But it's going to take a highly organised, highly efficient management team to run this show," he said.

Stanford, who runs his own Twenty20 tournament in the Caribbean and last year announced plans to invest almost £50m in West Indies cricket, is in London this week for talks with the England and Wales Cricket Board.

He has proposed a £10m winner-takes-all match between an England side and his own West Indies All-Stars XI in spring 2009.

But he is also ready to help the ECB further by investing in an English version of the IPL, which is currently taking place in India.

"I look at a lot of businesses to invest in, not just cricket, and I'm hugely impressed by their [ECB] organisational capacity.

"No disrespect to the Indians or the IPL, [but] they did this too fast, too quick. The ECB has taken a more logical approach, has a better structure, and if they get it, and drive and lead it, I think it can take the whole world.

"If they don't, it'll be successful, but not go to that other plateau," said Stanford.

English cricket pioneered the shortest form of the game by introducing the Twenty20 Cup competition in 2003.

It quickly caught on in other parts of the cricketing world and led to the inaugural ICC World Twenty20 tournament in South Africa last year, which was won by India.

The announcement of an unsanctioned Indian Cricket league (ICL) prompted the Board of Control for Cricket in India to set up its own tournament, the IPL, which features franchise teams headed by top players from all over the world on highly lucrative contracts.

And the attendance of Bollywood stars and involvement of American cheerleaders has added showbiz razzmatazz to the mix.

Stanford said some "real money" was needed to successfully launch an English Premier League and upgrade the domestic structure to a "different level".

He added: "The English clearly have to make a decision to take control and run with this....and I'm happy to be a supporter because I think the ECB is the right vehicle to be driving this."
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Just say no to Drugs  ; :o
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Real high grade weed he smokin
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Just say no to Drugs  ; :o
all shit talk aside that man is certifiably mad.  Maybe not in the conventional sense, but his private behavior (from good sources) is beyond eccentric.

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
20/20 bigger than Football  ??? 

I notice he say the biggest team sport in the World . I wonder if you ask him if 20/20 could be bigger than baseball in the US what he go say?

1]; } ?>