March 28, 2024, 07:28:51 AM

Author Topic: T&T Rugby back on the rise  (Read 10099 times)

Offline cowman

• New Warrior
  • doubles slight pepper extra kuchela
    • View Profile
T&T Rugby back on the rise
« on: April 27, 2008, 11:09:23 AM »
T&T are back on the top of Caribbean rugby after winning the the first stage of rugby world cup qualifiers also doubling as the carribbean championship.
T&T played Cayman Island in their first game. We won that 39-12 even though we were seeded 6th out of the 8 teams participating.
We then moved on to Barbados the top seed and reigning champions and we totally demolished them 59-0.
T&T then made it to the final to face a very hungry Guyanese team. T&T v Guyana matches over the years have always been heated affairs but we were victorious winning the game 40-26.

T&T now move on to the winner of the south American B group which consist of Paraguay,Brazil,Venezuela and Colombia.
According to world rankings we will most probably play Brazil in a home and away affair in the last quarter in 2008

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T Rugby back on the rise
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 11:29:27 AM »
congrats to the guys...me eh go lie, i love rugby. A true beast sport!
Back in Trini...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 04:20:51 PM »
Great Mr. Barrow will b smilin in d great beyond
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 06:30:46 PM »
Congrats to the Ruggermen. A wonder if Carl Seymour involved with rugby.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 06:37:11 PM »
where Benchwarmer? ;)
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 06:59:53 PM »
I always happy when a T&T team puts a proper cutarse on a Bajan team.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 05:42:27 PM »
Well Yes!..big Up de rugby team  :beermug:

Offline Benchwarmer

• Sr. Warrior
  • Trini to the bone...Dutch till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 05:27:18 PM »
I here.. i watch the matches on cayman rugby site...

Good game.. A good mix.. young and old players.. cowman....you was suppose to be on the team ent?  what happened????

Offline cowman

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 06:40:59 AM »
yes I was supposed to be there as well but i broke my leg a few weeks before the tournament playing for my club in england.

Looking forward to the next leg. it should be a home and away affair most likely against Brazil later in the year.

keep eyes peeled for more info in due course

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 01:17:31 PM »
yes I was supposed to be there as well but i broke my leg a few weeks before the tournament playing for my club in england.

Looking forward to the next leg. it should be a home and away affair most likely against Brazil later in the year.

keep eyes peeled for more info in due course

cowman u know ah man call Dexter Snaggs?

Offline cowman

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 05:20:30 AM »

T&T,Brazil Rugby World Cup 2011 qualifier match dates confirmed
Jul.23.2008

(IRB.COM) Wednesday 23 July 2008

The dates of the CONSUR B/NAWIRA play-off matches between Brazil and Trinidad & Tobago have been announced as the Rugby World Cup 2011 qualifying competition gathers pace.

The first leg will be Trinidad & Tobago v Brazil in Port of Spain on 11 October. The second leg will take place in Brazil on 18 October at a venue yet to be announced.

The winner over the two legs will go on to join Chile and Uruguay in the CONSUR A RWC 2011 qualifying tournament, scheduled for May 2009.

In April Trinidad & Tobago overcame Guyana 40-24 in the final of the Caribbean Championship, doubling up as the first round of RWC 2011 qualifying in the region, to book their place in the next round.

Brazil defeated host nation Paraguay 15-6 in the CONSUR B tournament in Asunción at the end of June.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 08:16:09 AM »
nice...my cuz Crooks should be on this side...So i been taking in some of the club games here in trinidad.
Honestly more pple should check out these games, even if yuh have no clue about the rules yuh will be entertained
Back in Trini...

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 05:18:10 PM »
we have a T&T 7's side?

the other day i was watching the tournament in California i think and it had a West indian 7's team..talk bout shit..steups
them fellas like they just get together and decide to call themselves 'west indies' and enter.

i used to follow we rugby a little but ah never played lol
we had a decent young fella by called Hamilton..what became of him?
he was from YTC i believe.
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Benchwarmer

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 10:04:01 AM »
I not sure what tournament yuh watch but yeah, there is a West Indies side.. for 7'S only.

Mark, read the papers... he was arrested for some thing...

Offline Benchwarmer

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 10:05:12 AM »
QRC venue for crucial T&T/Brazil Rugby World Cup game
Sep.05.2008

Trinidad and Tobago and Brazil will play their crucial 2011 Rugby World Cup first leg qualifier at the QRC Grounds in Port.of.Spain .

Trinidad and Tobago Rugby Football Union (TTRFU) president Leslie Figaro said that local rugby had run out of options and fortunately QRC came to the rescue .

The TTTRU had made a booking in July for the use of the Hasely Crawford Stadium on Saturday 11 October but with T&T playing a FIFA 2010 World Cup qualifier on Tuesday 14 October uncertainty arose as to the status of the TTRFU's request .

Fatima College the venue for the 1996 Brazil v T&T Rugby World Cup game ,which T&T won 46 -0, has a Inter col game scheduled for the 11th October .St Marys College ground site for the prestigious Carib Beer International 7s rugby tournament also has an Inter col football game carded for the day of the Rugby World Cup qualifier.

"It is not about right or wrong,it is about what is in the best interest of sport and the image of the country.I am disappointed by the way the Stadium has handled the matter.But both the T&T national football and rugby teams have all important World Cup games "said Figaro

It would be the first time an international rugby game will be played at the historic local landmark.

Figaro,a QRC past student and senior executive at WASA, said that the TTRFU will ensure that the QRC ground meets the IRB/RWC guidelines needed to pass the Match Commissioner's evaluation.

The local governing body for rugby will be extending invitations to a number of local dignitaries including the President of the Republic George Maxwell Richards and the Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs,Gary Hunt.

"It will be a grand occasion for local rugby and we (TTRFU) have an obligation to make sure the T&T team has the inspiration, support and atmosphere they need to give of their best"

Figaro revealed that the TTRFU had hoped to make the game available on the Internet via streaming but that and other innovative marketing and media coverage plans now had to be put on hold as the QRC venue does not have the modern and world class amenities as the Hasely Crawford.

"We had targeted a crowd of 3 -4000 based on certain strategic marketing plans but our plans will have to be altered.But the most important aspect is T&T winning the game." added Figaro.

The local rugby chief urged the public ,media and corporate T&T to appreciate the fact that although less popular than football.The T&T national rugby team needs the support of the nation in the "Calypso/Samba" rugby match up.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 04:32:42 PM »
QRC to the rescue!!!!!

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2008, 01:01:51 AM »
Best of luck to the T&T Rugby team !!

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2008, 09:29:50 AM »
BEST OF LUCK TO THE RUGBY team. I had the pleasure of taking in some practices  and games with the Northern team. Went to the Carib  pot luck  fete at the Country Club in August. Hung out at Shakers and at the Northern club house.

It is truly a miscarriage of justice when  a national team of this caliber is not  given the  same accolades and support  for their accomplishments to date. As the football Socawarriors  battle through WC qualifications, here is another of our local athletes representing TNT and doing it with far less support.

In speaking with many of these athletes who represented TNT in Rugby, I was appalled to hear  that in many of the  international fixtures, that individual team members  had to pay for their own uniform,s and passage, plus accommodation at tournaments.

I know that they are lacking a 'Special advisor '  or a notorious leader like the infamous JW but  don't they  deserve more  or additional support from the government as they take on the South Americans in WC playoffs?

Let's stand tall and throw some support behind our 'SocaRuggers'

P.S. Look nah it does have some real sweet women hanging out at these games.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2008, 11:20:22 AM »
AB yuh was at some northerns games boy? I surprise we eh bounce up since i been going quite a few recently!
Back in Trini...

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2008, 01:23:48 PM »
GO CARIBS!!!!
right Benchwarmer ;)
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline cowman

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2008, 09:34:03 AM »
Well this match is in a months time so we could do with all the support we could get.
The more numbers we get the more intimidating it will be for those Brazilians (we owe them one).
This is one of the best T&T teams for years and we have a good chance of progressing to the next rounds.
I am not sure what the damage will be to come the match but i cant imagine it being expensive and rugby does always have a friendly sort of feting atmosphere at matches.
So come the 11th October come and support the boys down QRC grounds
It will be a good game.

Offline cowman

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 05:15:42 AM »
allyuh come and supprt we nah....
check link for info

http://www.ttrfu.com/

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 05:20:57 AM »
check link for info
Have a great match TnT
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 05:15:23 PM »
check link for info

cowman i plan to be there...Go T&T !

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2008, 09:01:26 PM »
ah see ah picture meh coz send meh of a Tee shirt  the T&T Rugby put out fuh the game against Brazil. It real wicked too bad!!!!! Cowman how could I get one of those ? Ah think ah Leah Williams  in charge of those.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2008, 08:00:35 AM »
nice will be there...also i think they have a training match this saturday for those who want to check it out
Back in Trini...

Offline Benchwarmer

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2008, 09:49:16 AM »
T&T ready for Brazil
Tuesday, October 7th 2008

TRINIDAD and Tobago rugby coach Rhett Chee Ping is confident the national team is ready for Brazil as the T&T Rugby Football Union (TTRFU) selected a 26-member squad for the crucial second round 2011 Rugby World Cup qualifying clash.

T&T, Caribbean rugby champions, will play Brazil from 4 p.m. on Saturday at the Larry Gomes Stadium, Malabar, Arima

Chee Ping said the T&T team, which includes three UK-based players, is very focused.

"On the day, it is up to the players. IÂ have done everything possible to prepare them," he declared. "I expect them to complete the job."

British-based Selwyn St Bernard, Damian Martinez and Nigel Arismendez are in the national line-up,  which will be captained by Adam Fredericks.

The T&T squad was to train last night at the match venue and will practice again tomorrow from 7 p.m.

TTRFU selection committee chairman Curtis Nero said: "It is never an easy task selecting a team from a squad where all the players have worked hard, with tremendous commitment, dedication and camaraderie.

"In the end, the selectors had to make decisions on the basis of the game plan. The team selected will be reviewed following the first leg. All the players involved in the training squad understand that the selection process is ongoing and changes can be made," Nero added.

T&T Squad: Adam Fredericks (Captain), Jonathan O'Connor, Kirk Quashie, Kurt Quashie, Miguel Lara, Samuel Roberts, Jason Clark, Graeme Alkins, Abdeel Giles, Peter Bacchus, Don Rojas, Wayne Kelly, James Walkin, Dexter Snaggs, Ade Innis-King, Andrew Crooks, Adam Seedansingh, Kirk Aanensen, Kidane Silverthorn, Abdre Cabrera, Carlton Felix, Felician Guerra, Kelson Figaro, Selwyn St Bernard, Damian Martinez, Nigel Arismendez

Rhett Chee Ping (coach), Blane Chee Ping, Ian Parry, Dave May (assistant coaches), Rajesh Dharrie-Maharaj (physio), Curtis Nero (manager

I surprise Bernard and brendan left out....very young team tho...

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2008, 05:12:39 PM »
Good luck Ruggers!!!!!!

RUGGWARRIORS ALL THE AWAY!!!
Look nah it have some real sweet good looking high class woman hanging around rugby. One in particular but she have ah man.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2008, 09:47:29 AM »
they training at the larry gomes this evening if anyone in the area want to check it out
Back in Trini...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2008, 11:32:43 PM »
Do it 4 Lou Barrow
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>