April 19, 2024, 02:24:36 AM

Author Topic: W/Cup bonus judgment next week.  (Read 96828 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: W/Cup bonus judgment next week.
« Reply #840 on: September 13, 2014, 02:14:28 AM »
Ex-Warriors collect 2006 World Cup bonuses
By SASHA HARRINANAN (Newsday).

Cheques for half a million dollars each were yesterday presented by Prime Minister, Kamla Persad-Bissessar, to seven of the 13 Soca Warriors who are owed money by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA).

The seven who received cheques yesterday were Brent Sancho, Stern John, Avery John, David Atiba Charles, Cyd Gray, Aurtis Whitley and Anthony Wolfe. Arrangements were being made for the remaining six to collect their cheques “in due course.”

The six, who are working abroad and thus unable to come home for their money, are Cornell Glen, Shaka Hislop, Kenwyne Jones, Kelvin Jack, Collin Samuel and Evans Wise.

The presentation ceremony was held yesterday afternoon at Parliament, Tower D, International Waterfront Centre, Port-of-Spain.

Addressing reporters, the Prime Minister recalled that back in July, she “gave a commitment on behalf of the Government that we’ll pay the sum of TT $7.5 million dollars to our (2006) Soca Warriors. The Government is under no legal obligation in this regard but we recognise that this payment is necessary to assist the players and to address their very legitimate grievance and stress.”

Persad-Bissessar also reiterated that the payment was made “without prejudice to any legal rights and remedies which the players might have against the TTFF for the recovery of the balance of their judgment debt.” Speaking on behalf of the players, Sancho said he was “a little bit lost for words because it’s been a very long, arduous, battle. We will continue our pursuit and again, we want to thank you Madam Prime Minister for the gift.”

The former national defender said the payment was “without a doubt, a renewal” of the group’s commitment to “find the persons responsible for missing funds and...hopefully, bring whatever money is missing, back to the coffers of the Federation (TTFA).”

Sancho later joked with Newsday, “I feel like I just won Miss Universe” before revealing he intends to put some of the money in the bank and to invest the rest “wisely.” Ex-Soca Warriors forward Stern John had a similar response, saying he too intends to invest his money. “I’ve (invested) in a lot of property before, so I’m going to continue and put it to good use.”

“Like Brent said,” he added, “it’s been a long journey, a long eight years. All of the guys are excited to get the money, so they could use it to do well for themselves and for their family.”

Yesterday’s cheque presentation comes eight years after the football players were promised a bonus for their performance at the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany. The failure to pay that bonus eventually led to a legal battle. Some players decided to settle out of court but the 13 who received money yesterday were unwavering in their legal battle.

According to the judgment in subsequent arbitration proceedings, the players were entitled to 50 percent of the net profits TTFF derived from “the Road to Germany 2006 campaign.”

The sum was settled at US$3 million, but to date the TTFF had only paid the players US$1.7 million.

Persad-Bissessar noted that, “The players have now agreed to continue their legal action against the TTFF and to reimburse the Government should they recover any further monies pursuant to the judgment.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: September 13, 2014, 06:55:59 AM »
I can't help but be happy for the individual players... but there is something perversely wrong about the Government's involvement in all of this.  If the Goverment really wanted to assist in any meaningful way, the Goverment would either assist the TTFA (by footing the bill, or lending services of Government attorneys) with the litigation. 

OR

...the Government itself could undertake an investigation, and hopefully prosecution, of the circumstances under which GOVERNMENT monies were misappropriated.  But nah, Kamla and them just interested in pappyshow.  Mark my words, watch this make the rounds on the election platform next September.  And Sancho and them like some willing muppets just riding shotgun to this f**king charade... grinning like some Sambos with dey checks.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: September 13, 2014, 09:27:36 AM »
I can't help but be happy for the individual players... but there is something perversely wrong about the Government's involvement in all of this.  If the Goverment really wanted to assist in any meaningful way, the Goverment would either assist the TTFA (by footing the bill, or lending services of Government attorneys) with the litigation. 

OR

...the Government itself could undertake an investigation, and hopefully prosecution, of the circumstances under which GOVERNMENT monies were misappropriated.  But nah, Kamla and them just interested in pappyshow.  Mark my words, watch this make the rounds on the election platform next September.  And Sancho and them like some willing muppets just riding shotgun to this f**king charade... grinning like some Sambos with dey checks.

Purely from a finance point of view, I think the players are just happy to get the money they fought for. Of course, it's far more than they dreamed of eight years ago. All they knew then was that they were due more than TT6000. If Jack had made a decent offer right then, say TT$50k, this would have gone away. His continued dishonesty about the figures has probably resulted in the players receiving more than they were entitled to.
There is no doubt in my mind that the government are plying politics here. They cannot deny that there was wrongdoing, but they also cannot investigate the man whom they made Minister of National Security while they had possession of the facts of this case. But, they would love nothing more than to see Jack tied up in court or on the front pages concerning this case in the build up to the election. After all, stealing from the players and football in general is not the best portfolio on which to build an election campaign.

The government can always claim that they don't want to interfere in an ongoing court matter, so they get what they want while staying at a distance. Some people may feel that the players are puppets of the govt. Others may see it exactly opposite; the players have there money whether they win or lose the case and get a chance at recovering the TTFF funds in the process.

On a personal level, for me, yesterday was a proud day. 8 years ago almost to the day, Ian Cox called me to arrange to meet with him, Kelvin Jack and Brent Sancho. They explained their situation and asked if the P.F.A. could help. The P.F.A. wanted to stay clear as they didn't want to risk upsetting Jack during their 2018 WC bid. So it was really just 5 of us : Sancho, Jack, Shaka, Mike Townley and I who pushed the case forward. While I was never due to receive any money, I have benefited in many other ways through the friendships I developed and my links with Trinidad & Tobago. So, sitting in the PMs office watching the guys receive their cheques was very satisfying.

But, it's not the end. It's only half time!!

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: September 13, 2014, 05:45:29 PM »
Mark my words, watch this make the rounds on the election platform next September. 

Boy that horse done bolt out the stable already.  Back in July when the announcement was first made, the next day during a WC game, the ads touting the payment to the players started to run.......everybody sit down watching de TV was like WTF??!!

So while I real happy dem fellas FINALLY get dey money.............ah cringing at the fact that this government only going and use it to pappyshow for elections.......talk about a bittersweet moment.........:puking: :puking:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: September 13, 2014, 06:48:16 PM »
Mark my words, watch this make the rounds on the election platform next September. 

Boy that horse done bolt out the stable already.  Back in July when the announcement was first made, the next day during a WC game, the ads touting the payment to the players started to run.......everybody sit down watching de TV was like WTF??!!

So while I real happy dem fellas FINALLY get dey money.............ah cringing at the fact that this government only going and use it to pappyshow for elections.......talk about a bittersweet moment.........:puking: :puking:

It definitely takes the good feeling away from the situation.  I happy for the fellas, not so much Sancho... nothing against him, but he doing well.  It's some of the other fellas, some of whom were quietly struggling, is them I most happy for.  I just worry about the cost, and whether they realized they were being used as political pawns... and if they saw that coming and still went ahead with it, then it's hard to overlook that they're just looking out for themselves at the expense of the public (who footing the bill).

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Clock ticking. Scampito's house to be seized by 2-pull's daddy by sept 2014...
« Reply #845 on: September 20, 2014, 09:13:44 AM »
Rewind to this article:

http://ttproleague.com/index.php/tt-pro-league-news/national-team-news/1941-government-to-ttfa-s-rescue-but-thirteen-2006-world-cup-players-vow-to-battle-on
Government to TTFA’s rescue but thirteen 2006 World Cup players vow to battle on
Tuesday 8 July 2014

On Monday, eight years after they were promised a bonus for their appearance at the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany, 13 members of the Soca Warriors were relieved that they will be paid the outstanding balance of US$1.3 million.

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, made the announcement at the Diplomatic Centre, St Ann’s, and in the presence of seven of the players, Brent Sancho, Cyd Gray, David Atiba Charles, Stern John, Cornell Glen, Anton Wolfe, and Aurtis Whitley.

“I have given instructions to the Minister of Finance (Larry Howai) to make provision for the outstanding US$1.3 million to be made available to these heroes,” Persad-Bissessar said. “This payment is to be made without prejudice to any rights and remedies already accrued, or, which may accrue to the Soca Warriors.”

While Government of Trinidad and Tobago was under no legal obligation to make any payment to the players, added, “We are not unmindful of the long and protracted legal battles waged by these football heroes of ours, and the situation today is that the players are still owed and entitled to a payment from an entity in the TTFF (Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation) that is unlikely to be in a position to pay.”

She said that in 2006, the Soca Warriors joined the world’s best in Germany, and “for eight months, from qualification in Bahrain in November 2005 to the end of the World Cup in June 2006 our nation soared with pride with the efforts of our team.”

“It was a moment that unified us like never before. They healed every national wound, bridged every divide, and brought us together across all boundaries, there were no political, social, religious or ethnic differences, we acclaimed ourselves and embraced each other in a celebration of genuine patriotic pride,” said Persad-Bissessar.

In a report by the Trinidad Newsday, TTFA (Trinidad and Tobago Football Association) president Raymond Tim Kee is quoted as saying he was “extremely pleased that Government has come through now. We requested that assistance so that football can breathe somewhat.”

The TTFA, he said began discussions with the Office of the Prime Minister for Government to pay the outstanding balance about six months ago and followed up in writing. He said they last met two weeks ago.

Asked whether the payment means that the TTFA does not owe the players anymore, Tim Kee said, “That is what we have been requesting, that Government pay on behalf of the TTFA.”

On assuming the TTFA presidency, he said, he acknowledged that the former players were owed the bonus promised by the old dispensation. After an issue was made out of it, he said, “We paid them what we could. We sought help from CONCACAF.” 

Having run bankrupt, he said the TTFA sought Government’s assistance.

Meanwhile Brent Sancho, speaking on behalf of the 13 players, said he was overwhelmed and Government’s decision meant “more than any of us can describe.”

The 13 T&T players: Brent Sancho, Stern John, Cyd Gray, David Atiba Charles, Cornell Glen, Anthony Wolfe, Aurtis Whitley, Kenwyne Jones, Evans Wise, Collin Samuel, Shaka Hislop, Kelvin Jack and Avery John.

Sancho recalled that when they returned to Piarco from Germany they were greeted as heroes.

However, the failure to honour a promised bonus marred all that went on before and a legal battle ensued. The judgement in the arbitration that followed was that the players were entitled to 50 percent of the net profits TTFF derived from “the Road to Germany 2006 campaign”.

“We didn’t expect asking for what we were promised to be met with eight years of humiliation, torment, blacklisting and even in some cases career loss,” Sancho said.

While many had turned their backs on them and ignored their pleas, he said they had finally been heard.

Expressing thanks to the team members who endured the legal battles over the years and to Persad-Bissessar and her Government, Sancho said, “We recognise that the government has no legal obligation to assist us, yet chose to do so through this gesture.”

Asked whether the 2006 Soca Warriors will drop their legal battles, now that Government has paid the outstanding debt, Sancho said, “While this money is important for us, we still feel there is unfinished business. We intend to push on. We have suffered for a very, very long time.”

The legal battle will continue, he said, in the hope that they can repay Government.

Former FIFA vice-president and former TTFA special advisor Jack Warner.
Former FIFA vice-president and former TTFA special advisor Jack Warner.

In an immediate reaction, former FIFA vice-president and former special advisor to the TTFF, Jack Warner has appealed to Persad-Bissessar to come to the aid of former president of the TTFF Oliver Camps, who he claims is in debt and stands to lose his home.

In a release on Monday, following Government’s $1.3 million payout to 13 members of the 2006 Soca Warriors, Warner called on the Prime Minister to intervene and save Camps’ home. Camps was president at the time of T&T’s World Cup qualification for the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

“If the Prime Minister really wants to demonstrate that this is truly benevolence and not public relations to lift the flagging image of her Minister of Sport, then I wish to advise her to go further and save the home of Oliver Camps,” Warner stated.

“This group of footballers who played three matches in the 2006 World Cup in Germany and who never scored a goal nor win a match there and who now stand to benefit from the Prime Minister’s benevolent gesture received $20 million dollars from the Patrick Manning administration, $7 million from FIFA, $4 million from the TTFF, $6 million from Jack Warner through the courts of Trinidad and Tobago and now $1.3 million USD from the People’s Partnership Government; a total sum of close to $50 million dollars and this excludes gifts from private organisations like Clico and others,” claimed Warner.

He stated Camps too was in need of financial help.

Camps, he stated, served football with distinction for over 50 years as Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) president and team manager and was the “most successful football manager ever”, taking the Soca Warriors to the 2006 Germany World Cup.

Warner stated that Camps signed a promissory note of US$480,000  on behalf of the TTFF in order to procure the services of Wim Risenberg as coach of the national team.

The TTFF has been unable to raise the money and now Al Roberts’ firm - father of the Minister of Sport, is now moving to levy on this senior citizen,” stated Warner.

“Mr. Camps’ home Madam Prime Minister is now threatened.  If he cannot raise the money he will lose it by September 2014, if not before. In this regard I am therefore asking the Prime Minister to be as benevolent to Mr. Camps as she has been to these footballers and save the home of this senior citizen,” stated Warner.

On the money Government will be paying the Soca Warriors, Warner wished the team members well and stated that he hoped this would finally bring closure to the matter.

“It is my sincere wish that this is the end of this story and that the furniture and the archival material, which the TTFA lost when this team of footballers levied on the TTFF, will now be returned to it,” he added.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 09:15:46 AM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

1]; } ?>