March 28, 2024, 03:28:31 AM

Author Topic: ‘Star signing’ Yorke to be rewarded with new deal.  (Read 3231 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
‘Star signing’ Yorke to be rewarded with new deal.
« on: May 03, 2008, 06:00:05 AM »
By: Scott Wilson (The Northern Echo).

Roy Keane will offer Dwight Yorke a new contract next week after describing the 36-year-old midfielder as one of the "best signings" of his 20 months as Sunderland manager.

And with Yorke on the verge of securing his UEFA A Licence coaching qualification, Keane is expected to offer his former Manchester United team-mate a player- coach role in an attempt to persuade him to remain on Wearside for at least one more season.

Yorke's current contract is due to expire at the end of next month and, with the veteran having started just 16 Premier League matches this season, there has been mounting speculation that he would return to Australia this summer.

Keane accepts Yorke's playing contributions would be limited if he was to remain at the Stadium of Light for another campaign, but the Black Cats boss claims the Trinidad & Tobago international is every bit as influential off the field as on it.

He might have been known as a playboy during his time at Old Trafford, but Yorke has gradually emerged as the de facto leader of the Sunderland squad.

"I'll be sitting down with Dwight next week," said Keane, who will also discuss the future of Ian Harte, Andrew Cole, Stephen Wright, Stanislav Varga and Darren Ward, the five other Sunderland players who are out of contract this summer.

"Dwight's been one of my best signings ever, or at least in 20 months! He's done exactly what we hoped he would. You can look at what a player does on the field, but you also have to look at what they do off it as well, and Dwight's really led the dressing room.

"It's been tough in there at times this season, but Dwight's played a big role in keeping everyone together. Dean (Whitehead) has been important too, and the two of them have been great for us.

"If you'd said Dwight would have helped get us promoted and keep us in the Premier League when he signed 20 months ago, we would have taken that.

"He's done everything that's been asked of him, and he's not leaving yet. Who knows what will happen? We'll have a chat next week."

Yorke's desire to start his coaching qualifications suggests he is already turning his thoughts to a possible career in management.

Such a suggestion would have been laughable a decade or so ago, when Yorke's off-field activities tended to revolve around clubbing jaunts rather than coaching sessions, but as he has mellowed and aged, so his priorities have changed.

He has spent a great deal of time with Sunderland's younger players this season, passing on some of the experience he has garnered from winning the Champions League and Premier League and representing his country in the World Cup finals, and Keane feels he will make an excellent manager if he decides to pursue that route.

"I could see Dwight becoming a manager in the future," he said.

"He's done his coaching and he loves his football. He certainly knows the game - we've done quizzes and he's always at the top - and I think he would have a good chance in management.

"I wouldn't have thought that when I was at Manchester United - I might have thought he would have been a good manager of a bar somewhere - but I definitely think he'd have a chance now."

Nyron Nosworthy agrees, claiming Yorke's ability to converse with a wide range of players makes him ideal management material despite his rabble-rousing past.

"For me, Dwight definitely has what it takes to be a manager or a coach," said the defender. "His people skills are second to none, and that's a very important part of being a coach.

"He's a bubbly character, and he's had a very important role to play behind the scenes. He also has lots of experience, and has been through so much during his career. He's always able to offer advice, and has helped keep the confidence up when things have gone badly."

As well as meeting his out-ofcontract players next week, Keane will also reassess the future of the four other players currently on the transfer list.

Greg Halford, Liam Miller, Ross Wallace and David Connolly have been available for the majority of the current campaign, but Keane will consider each of the quartet's position before deciding whether to invite offers this summer.

He will also make an improved contract offer to Grant Leadbitter and Daryl Murphy - two of the players who have impressed him most this summer - but does not expect any new signings to arrive on Wearside until mid- June at the earliest.

"There's plenty to be discussed, but I don't think a lot will happen for a while," said Keane.

"If people think loads of players are going to arrive in the next couple of weeks, or loads of players are going to go, they're wrong.

I would say it'll be at least five or six weeks before anything starts to happen."

Keane's first transfer target will be Jonny Evans, with Sir Alex Ferguson likely to invite offers for the Manchester United loanee once his side have played in the Champions League final.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 01:17:23 PM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: ‘Star signing’ Yorke to be rewarded with new deal
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 07:10:30 AM »
‘Star signing’ Yorke to be rewarded with new deal
By Scott Wilson (The Northern Echo)

ROY Keane will offer Dwight Yorke a new contract next week after describing the 36-year-old midfielder as one of the "best signings" of his 20 months as Sunderland manager.

And with Yorke on the verge of securing his UEFA A Licence coaching qualification, Keane is expected to offer his former Manchester United team-mate a player- coach role in an attempt to persuade him to remain on Wearside for at least one more season.

Yorke's current contract is due to expire at the end of next month and, with the veteran having started just 16 Premier League matches this season, there has been mounting speculation that he would return to Australia this summer.

Keane accepts Yorke's playing contributions would be limited if he was to remain at the Stadium of Light for another campaign, but the Black Cats boss claims the Trinidad & Tobago international is every bit as influential off the field as on it.

He might have been known as a playboy during his time at Old Trafford, but Yorke has gradually emerged as the de facto leader of the Sunderland squad.

"I'll be sitting down with Dwight next week," said Keane, who will also discuss the future of Ian Harte, Andrew Cole, Stephen Wright, Stanislav Varga and Darren Ward, the five other Sunderland players who are out of contract this summer.

"Dwight's been one of my best signings ever, or at least in 20 months! He's done exactly what we hoped he would. You can look at what a player does on the field, but you also have to look at what they do off it as well, and Dwight's really led the dressing room.

"It's been tough in there at times this season, but Dwight's played a big role in keeping everyone together. Dean (Whitehead) has been important too, and the two of them have been great for us.

"If you'd said Dwight would have helped get us promoted and keep us in the Premier League when he signed 20 months ago, we would have taken that.

"He's done everything that's been asked of him, and he's not leaving yet. Who knows what will happen? We'll have a chat next week."

Yorke's desire to start his coaching qualifications suggests he is already turning his thoughts to a possible career in management.

Such a suggestion would have been laughable a decade or so ago, when Yorke's off-field activities tended to revolve around clubbing jaunts rather than coaching sessions, but as he has mellowed and aged, so his priorities have changed.

He has spent a great deal of time with Sunderland's younger players this season, passing on some of the experience he has garnered from winning the Champions League and Premier League and representing his country in the World Cup finals, and Keane feels he will make an excellent manager if he decides to pursue that route.

"He's done his coaching and he loves his football. He certainly knows the game - we've done quizzes and he's always at the top - and I think he would have a good chance in management.

"I wouldn't have thought that when I was at Manchester United - I might have thought he would have been a good manager of a bar somewhere - but I definitely think he'd have a chance now."

Nyron Nosworthy agrees, claiming Yorke's ability to converse with a wide range of players makes him ideal management material despite his rabble-rousing past.

"For me, Dwight definitely has what it takes to be a manager or a coach," said the defender. "His people skills are second to none, and that's a very important part of being a coach.

"He's a bubbly character, and he's had a very important role to play behind the scenes. He also has lots of experience, and has been through so much during his career. He's always able to offer advice, and has helped keep the confidence up when things have gone badly."

As well as meeting his out-ofcontract players next week, Keane will also reassess the future of the four other players currently on the transfer list.

Greg Halford, Liam Miller, Ross Wallace and David Connolly have been available for the majority of the current campaign, but Keane will consider each of the quartet's position before deciding whether to invite offers this summer.

He will also make an improved contract offer to Grant Leadbitter and Daryl Murphy - two of the players who have impressed him most this summer - but does not expect any new signings to arrive on Wearside until mid- June at the earliest.

"There's plenty to be discussed, but I don't think a lot will happen for a while," said Keane.

"If people think loads of players are going to arrive in the next couple of weeks, or loads of players are going to go, they're wrong.

I would say it'll be at least five or six weeks before anything starts to happen."

Keane's first transfer target will be Jonny Evans, with Sir Alex Ferguson likely to invite offers for the Manchester United loanee once his side have played in the Champions League final.
  Now allyuh see it...dont be surprise if Yorke becomes a big time coach in the future

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: ‘Star signing’ Yorke to be rewarded with new deal
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 08:51:13 AM »
Sould probable play dat role for Trinidad too.Being influential in the UK to recruit players,helping in coaching and playing limited minutes.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: ‘Star signing’ Yorke to be rewarded with new deal.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 04:58:46 PM »
Some great news
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 08:52:10 PM »
Hmm...for some reason I seeing Yorke and Latas undermining each other to be coach of Trinidad somewhere down the road. Despite their great friendship, when one get the job and we losing, u will hear the next one pointing out mistakes and vying for the job.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 09:03:02 PM »
Why they cyah work on d same team and make up d same technical team
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 09:04:01 PM »
Why they cyah work on d same team and make up d same technical team

3 bo rat (if you add the eternal corneal)
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Padams

• Sr. Warrior
  • Great are the Warriors///We shall Prevail!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 09:42:32 PM »
By: Scott Wilson (The Northern Echo).

Roy Keane will offer Dwight Yorke a new contract next week after describing the 36-year-old midfielder as one of the "best signings" of his 20 months as Sunderland manager.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Keane bawl he taught d man wuda b a manager of a bar we!

Who say Smokey n Bunty??  :beermug:
Iz not Pre-Marital Sex, if yuh have no intention 2 geh Married..........

1]; } ?>