April 25, 2024, 02:04:41 PM

Author Topic: Marvin Andrews - In God he trusts  (Read 2678 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Marvin Andrews - In God he trusts
« on: May 03, 2008, 07:20:00 PM »
In God he trusts
sundayherald.com

He may have finally succumbed to the operating table, but Stewart Fisher finds Marvin Andrews’ faith is undiminished

MARVIN ANDREWS brushes aside apparent contradictions in his world view as effortlessly as if they were errant strikers who have made the mistake of wandering into his path as he prepares to contest a high ball. In an upstairs room in the quaint little church at which he has become an ordained minister - the Zion Praise Centre in Kirkcaldy - the giant Trinidadian chooses an item of furniture as a comfortable resting place for his swollen left knee, and carefully places his crutches by the side of the sofa. Just over a week ago, and almost three years since his problems with the joint first flared up at Rangers, God finally referred Andrews to go to hospital to get a knee operation.

The problem this time around - sustained in a Second Division match against Ayr United in February - is cartilage damage, rather than the cruciate ligament problems which dogged him at Ibrox, but it is at least possible that the latter problem arose as a direct result of the former. Andrews, however, has always been the type to rise above such mundane and straightforward explanations.

"For me taking this operation I did exactly the same thing as before," Andrews told the Sunday Herald. "I prayed, and asked God and said God, do you want me to take the operation?', and God told me to take the operation. That is how I ended up on the operating table. If God hadn't told me to take the operation, then I would have done the same. I wouldn't have retired, because God would have healed me the same way he did before. It is as simple as that.

"If I had decided to take the surgery at that time with Rangers, then I wouldn't have won the championship, and Rangers wouldn't have won the championship," added the Raith Rovers player, who was so cruelly deprived of the chance to actually get on the field for Trinidad & Tobago at the 2006 World Cup when the injury eventually crept up on him in Germany.

"Whether you believe it or not, they would never have won the championship. Secondly, my country wouldn't have qualified for the World Cup and I wouldn't have won the player of the year award at Rangers. God directed me, and I made the right decision. I have no regrets whatsoever."

Whether Paul Le Guen's conscience is quite as clear is another matter, having paid up the remaining year of Andrews' Rangers contract only to end up with a Karl Svensson-inspired defence which suddenly appeared susceptible to the high ball. Andrews' move to Raith allowed him to practice while he preached: giving him full-time training at the same time as moving him closer to his church. But whenever he is fit to return to action, the player also believes he will be fit to return to the SPL. He may not be the only one. Prior to his injury, rumours were rife that he would link up with his former boss Craig Levein at Dundee United.

"It is my desire to play back in the SPL, and at the highest level in the Champions League or Uefa Cup," said the 32-year-old, who could easily have been playing in England with Reading or Southampton had it not been for some further divine intervention from his heavenly agent.

"I ask God for directions in everything I do, and I am at Raith Rovers because I was directed to go to Raith Rovers football club. When I left Rangers, I didn't approach anybody. I went and prayed for two months, asking God for directions.

"Only God knows the ending of something," Andrews said. "At the beginning everyone talked about Paul Le Guen and all the great things he was going to do at Rangers, and the great things he had done before in Europe and all these different things. I respected that.

"Personally, as a human being, I admit to being disappointed when I left, knowing I had done so well for Rangers. But in the end I moved on with no regrets whatsoever. Not every coach is going to like you or favour you as other managers do. I wish them all the best. There is no grudge or whatever, but unfortunately he wasn't as successful as other people thought he was going to be."

When it comes to displaying religious slogans on the field of play, of course, Andrews has been there and got the T-shirt. His favourite two slogans are variations on a theme, one reading "With God nothing is impossible" (incidentally, the name of the player's independently produced DVD, which has a ringing endorsement by none other than prime minister and Rovers fan Gordon Brown) and the one he wore at Easter Road, which reads "The things that are impossible with men, are possible with God". Having featured in Old Firm matches in the past, it all makes him well qualified to comment on the Artur Boruc saga. For Andrews, it all comes back to the Polish goalkeeper's intentions.

"There is nothing wrong with what it said - God bless the pope' - but if it is his intention to wear it to bring controversial things to pass then it is wrong, whether he likes it or not," Andrews said. "There is nothing wrong with the words, but if the intention is to do something evil, or to cause friction among Rangers fans, like annoy them or something like that, then it is not good whatsoever. I don't know what his intention was.

"The Rangers-Celtic thing, they try to bring God into it but God has nothing to do with Rangers and Celtic," Andrews added. "Nothing whatsoever. You can never open the Bible and see Rangers or Celtic. Or see the pope or the Queen. It just has nothing to do with God, it is just two religious man-made rules fighting against each other. The Bible says that God says love your enemies. But if you are a Rangers or Celtic supporter and you support your team with everything you have, there is nothing wrong with that."

Andrews is qualified to conduct all manner of ceremonies when the usual pastor, Joe Nwokoye, is away on his travels to the USA or his native Nigeria, but to date has conducted two funerals, but no weddings. It is to be hoped that his divorce from the sport he loves does not last too long.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Marvin Andrews - In God he trusts
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 08:16:41 PM »
Come home and rest up b4 next season
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 08:43:59 PM by weary1969 »
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 08:31:29 PM »
He coulda extend his career and be massive for us in the WC 2006 if he had done that 6 years ago.  Now he doing the same thing and losta bunch a years.  Even with faith, man could make some bad decisions.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 08:47:20 PM »
2002 what injury did Marv have? In 2002 dat team was suppose 2 b in Korea and it was no injury by Marv y we did not go
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
  • Man of Faith and Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 08:30:40 AM »
He coulda extend his career and be massive for us in the WC 2006 if he had done that 6 years ago.  Now he doing the same thing and losta bunch a years.  Even with faith, man could make some bad decisions.
SORRY-: Decisions made by faith are never bad decisions, they only seem to be to those without faith! WC 2006-: WHAT SHALL IT PROFIT A MAN TO GAIN THE WHOLE WORLD AND LOOSE HIS SOUL?

GOD BLESS
Jesus Christ...King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 03:43:20 PM »
CK1 preach on

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 08:33:21 PM »
Alyah nuts yes lol

puts orn helmet for flying bible .

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The player who put divine intervention before doctors' order
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 06:54:38 AM »
The player who put divine intervention before doctors' orders
By Georgina Turner and Nick Miller (The Guardian)

"My question follows on from Jason Roberts' retirement via hip-knack," begins Neill Rees. "There must have been someone, somewhere that decided to play on, despite the expert advice to cease? Has there ever been a report of such a player to play on despite being medically told not to continue past Go, not just in a single match, but for the rest of the season or more?"

Ladies and gentlemen, we give you: Marvin Andrews, a man who is still playing at 38, having more than once told the doctors where to stick their scalpels. We had several emails about the Trinidad and Tobago international, and by golly it's a tale worth telling. Settle down. Not long after signing for Raith Rovers in 1997, at 21, Andrews was struggling with an inflamed pelvis. "The doctors said I wouldn't be able to play again unless I had surgery that would scrape away the inflammation," he explained, "and put a metal plate inside me. I wasn't going to do that." Having been in Scotland just a wee while and warming to life in Kirkcaldy, Andrews didn't want to give up his football career, either. So he chose a different form of treatment. "Tony [Rougier, Raith winger] took me to the church and we prayed with Pastor Joe. God healed me from the pelvic injury. I had a fantastic season in 1998-99."

The following season was better (for Raith and for Andrews, who was named the club's player of the year), and in 2000 Andrews signed for Livingston. By the time they won the 2004 Scottish League Cup, Andrews was hot property, and Livingston's money troubles meant that his manager, Allan Preston, was letting everybody know it. "Marvin is the best at what he does in Scotland," he said, "and I include Bobo Balde in that. Don't ask him to hit 60-yard passes on to the toes of David Fernández, but if you want the ball won in the air or on the ground, then he'll do it for you." Rangers signed a pre-contract agreement with him before the season's end.

He took to his new surroundings immediately, helping Rangers to the title in his first season and picking up the players' player of the year award, to boot. But during what the Guardian's report described as a "dreadful match" against Dundee in March, Andrews, one of Rangers' scorers, picked up an injury late on. Afterwards, he headed off to church "to pray" – not because of the injury, mind, but because it was a Sunday. "Marvin will be fine," shrugged Alex McLeish, but a scan showed that he'd badly damaged the cruciate ligament in his left knee. Time was that the injury itself would put him out of the game; at best he could have surgery and be back on the pitch in a year. He wanted to help Rangers, who were four points ahead of Celtic when he got hurt, on the run-in, so again he dodged the operating table.

"I respect the medical people at Rangers but I don't want to have the operation," he said, later explaining that he had asked God whether he should have surgery or rely on his faith. "I know it is hard for people to understand but God has given me strength. He is in control of my life and I believe it will be fine." Most people at the club thought he was barking (and got him to sign an agreement that he was responsible for any further injury, especially when he declared himself fit for the very next match), but as Rangers' four-point lead swung to a two-point deficit, they gambled on the meeting with Celtic towards the end of April. He played 83 minutes but couldn't stop Celtic winning 2-1, getting caught out by Craig Bellamy for the first and seeing his own effort rebound off the crossbar. "Celtic," said the Guardian report, "victorious in hostile surroundings, have effectively retained their title."

Rangers stayed on Celtic's tail, though, and the final day of the season arrived with things yet to be settled. If Celtic won at Motherwell, the trophy was theirs – but if they didn't, and Rangers beat Hibernian, the silverware would go to Ibrox. Rangers had by now ordered Andrews to stop talking to the press about his miraculous healing, but he snuck word to the Guardian in the build-up that his leg "feels fantastic" and was causing him no problems. Rangers took the lead against Hibs after about an hour, and were never really made to sweat over it. Instead it was their supporters who perspired as they waited for improbable news from Fir Park, where Celtic were also leading by a goal to nil. In the 88th minute, Scott McDonald scored the equaliser that handed Rangers the title; his stoppage-time winner was simply sweet.

Andrews provided the picture for the occasion as he dropped to his knees and looked skywards, his arms cast wide. In his autobiography, Marvellous Marvin: The Life, Football and Faith of a Soca Warrior, Andrews writes: "He made my head, heart, lungs, liver and every part of me – including that famous cruciate ligament! So why do people think he cannot repair my body?" Many were converted that day. On his way to church after the match, fans threw themselves at Andrews's car, asking him to run them over. "Marv, we believe!" At the start of 2013, and not having played since a handful of games for Kirkintilloch Rob Roy in 2011, Andrews prayed. "Lord, if it's your will for me to continue playing, you know my desire. Open the door." Albion Rovers called the following day, and Andrews, now with Forfar Athletic, plans to play until he hits 40.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
  • Man of Faith and Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 07:19:52 AM »
My player: faith the size of a mustard seed! Science will always be in awe of the marvelous works of the Almighty Creator, through whom ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE! Pray on and play on to the glory of God.
Jesus Christ...King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

1]; } ?>