March 28, 2024, 08:26:02 AM

Author Topic: Day of Destiny- Southampton vs Sheffield United Thread  (Read 11528 times)

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Day of Destiny- Southampton vs Sheffield United Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2008, 08:57:23 AM »
Game over....STERN LEGEND 14 JOHN!

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2008, 09:00:11 AM »
Stoke- Leicester draw 0-0. Sternampton survive relegation!
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2008, 09:01:47 AM »
THEY PULL IT OFF
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2008, 09:04:54 AM »
Nothing in the world could make me believe Chopra and that Scandinavian dude more useful than Stern John.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2008, 09:06:51 AM »
Nothing in the world could make me believe Chopra and that Scandinavian dude more useful than Stern John.
I think age is a big deal to Keane. He give up on Connolly too, his best striker last year. Both him and Stern bout de same age.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2008, 09:07:43 AM »

All together now:

KEANOOOO ARE YA LISTENING!? YOU SHOULD HAVE KEPT STERN..NOW HE'S GRINNING..HE GETS THE BALL AND SCORES THEM ALL..WALKING IN A STERN JOHN WONDERLANDDD!

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2008, 09:50:05 AM »
Half Slab does it again !!!!
Warrior For Life !!

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2008, 09:55:51 AM »
Stern is much more clinical in front of goal than Jones...When Birmingham was in de Prem with Stern, how many goals did Stern score....

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2008, 10:39:20 AM »
Stern is much more clinical in front of goal than Jones...When Birmingham was in de Prem with Stern, how many goals did Stern score....

about 8
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2008, 10:41:56 AM »
Any highlights?

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2008, 11:08:31 AM »
WELL DONE STERN  :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
all dat is necessary is necessary

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2008, 11:13:53 AM »
standing ovation for the greatest goalscorer tnt has ever produced...

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2008, 11:22:44 AM »

Stern is and has always been a clutch player, and a damn good one at that. He has proven it again today :salute:

However I not too sure wwhy men feel they have to bring down other men to big up Stern. I doh know much about Prica, but in all fairness Lars Lagerback considered him good enough to get call up for Sweden.

You could say what you want about Chopra but Stern won't be playing right midfield anytime soon.
Is Stern a better striker. Of course he is. Would he have fit better into Keane's plans than Chopra? I not sure. In any case the man you need to be comparing Stern with is the one that replace him in the team.
All that aside, some here would be surprised to know it, but Chopra has already scored more goals in a season at both Championship and Premier league level than Stern, and his overall league goals per game average is actually higher. And he's 7 years younger.

Triniman, Stern scored 5 Prem goals in the first season with Birmingham and 4 in the second. In all he scored 9 goals in 58 prem appearances plus 4 in cup play.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2008, 12:32:26 PM »
Southampton 3-2 Sheffield United

Saganowski 42, John 53, 69 | Quinn 23, Stead 65
Pat Symes at St Mary's Stadium
guardian.co.uk, Sunday May 4 2008

Southampton and Nigel Pearson added another dramatic survival to their rich history of final-day escapes by beating Sheffield United and clawing their way out of the Championship's relegation zone.

Southampton stayed up at the last gasp four times in the Premier League heyday of Matt Le Tissier before failing at the fifth attempt, and old habits die hard at St Mary's.

Pearson, Southampton's manager, has his own tale to tell having been in charge of Carlisle when their goalkeeper, Jimmy Glass, scored to save them from dropping out of the league but he was a little over 20 minutes away from heartbreak today.

After 65 minutes, as other scores stood, Southampton were heading for League One and two meetings next season with the likes of Hereford. After 69 minutes and Stern John's second goal, they were back in the mix. They survived the final nine minutes with 10 men after John was sent off for a second bookable offence.

"I could not bear to watch the last stages of the game and I hid away hoping the lads would hold on," said John. "I feel I let them down because I should never have got myself sent off."

Without his burly presence in attack and with three minutes added for stoppages, Southampton had to survive a barrage of Gary Speed-inspired Sheffield attacks, leaving only the tiny substitute Adam Lallana up front to make the best use of panic-driven clearances. Somehow they held out.

United went into the match still nursing play-off ambitions but the loss of the former Southampton striker James Beattie and the tough mainstay of their defence Chris Morgan was too much to overcome. They enjoyed long spells of dominance, not least those last tense few minutes, but John was always a problem.

The Trinidadian came to Southampton as a makeweight in the early-season deal that took Kenwyne Jones to Sunderland. Without his 19 goals, Southampton would surely have joined Colchester and Sc**thorpe as relegation certainties long ago.

John's contrition came as the result of a first offence of taking off his shirt to celebrate his opening goal and even then he only got a yellow card on the advice of the fourth official.

There was no doubt about his second yellow card for a clumsy late tackle on Derek Geary, leaving the referee no option but to proffer an almost apologetic red card. With Marek Saganowski already replaced, Southampton had no attacking outlet and a draw would still have left them in trouble.

Sheffield United were ahead in the 24th minute when a centre from the right by Billy Sharp found Stephen Quinn unmarked at the far post and with plenty of time to plant a firm header wide of the unprotected Richard Wright.

There were chances at both ends before a double incident in the 42nd minute proved to be a turning point. Matt Kilgallon had a fierce header blocked on the line by Wright and Southampton went straight up the other end for Saganowski to score his first goal since October 2.

John scored his first goal in the 54th minute, converting a pass from Saganowski, but United refused to lie down and accept the inevitable.
Jon Stead, on for the ineffective Rob Hulse, took eight minutes to make his mark, turning in a low centre from Luton Shelton on the right.

At that stage Southampton were going down, but four minutes later John turned sharply in the United area on to a pass from Jhon Viafara before scoring with a low right-foot shot.

Southampton's manager still fears for his job in a takeover planned for next week which will see the return as chairman of the controversial Rupert Lowe.
Pearson said: "I want to be here for the long haul but I am not naive and I know how football can work. Ultimately I want what is best for the club but I have no idea what will happen. At the moment my emotion is one of overriding relief.

"The worse part was before the match knowing that the whole situation was out of our hands. We were relying on others to slip up and there was not option but to win our game."

United's manager, Kevin Blackwell, admitted the task was always going to be difficult without important players. I think we gave a good account of ourselves and we were pressing for an equaliser deep into stoppage time. I have to be pleased with the effort but it is hard to take after such a long season."

Man of the match: Stern John (Southampton)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/may/04/championship.southampton?gusrc=rss&feed=sport

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2008, 12:57:36 PM »
Southampton won 3-2 and stayed up.  Stern scored 2 goals and received a red card in the 80th min for a second bookable offense...the first one for celebrating his first goal!

STERN is ah bosssssss....BRACEMAN ...
Tallman ya good wid dat? ;)

but that first yellow is really CRAP.......tarnishes the beautiful game.....in my opinion
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2008, 01:05:42 PM »
Well done Stern John!  Big performance from a big player yes. 
On the first yellow, every player knows the penalty for taking off your shirt.  Stern coulda just run and pump he fist.

Disgruntled where yuh?

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2008, 01:12:52 PM »
is jus something about backing yuh shirt when u score ah big goal its almost ah reflex action
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2008, 01:13:53 PM »
Midknight, those stats are a bit skewed.  It is true that he has only 9 premierleague goals in about 58 appearances, but tell me, how may of those games he played as a sub?

In Stern's final season with birmingham, he was the league leader in substitute appearances with 22 sub apps in one season, many of them with 5-10 minutes to go.

He scored 9 goals in his first season, 5 in the prem (including birmingham's first ever goal in the premier league) and 4 in cups, and ended up the clubs's top scorer that season.  

I agree with your points about not comparing him to chopra, cause it ent have no way that stern could hold down that position on the left the way that chopra did.  

It would be nice though, if one of the promoted clubs gave him ah shot in the premier league.

ah love it!!

Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2008, 01:39:40 PM »
Stern was wearing some sort of Tribute jersey...Maybe Trottman?  So i guess he already had made up his mind he was willing to take card cuz he had on the shirt

Legend 14..well 31 for Southampton lol

Fans afterwards

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2008, 02:07:32 PM »
Stern was wearing some sort of Tribute jersey...Maybe Trottman?  So i guess he already had made up his mind he was willing to take card cuz he had on the shirt

Fans afterwards

look at people  :o
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 02:10:29 PM by Die.Hard.Warrior »
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2008, 02:40:37 PM »
Niceness  ;D
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2008, 02:46:28 PM »

All together now:

KEANOOOO ARE YA LISTENING!? YOU SHOULD HAVE KEPT STERN..NOW HE'S GRINNING..HE GETS THE BALL AND SCORES THEM ALL..WALKING IN A STERN JOHN WONDERLANDDD!

How was he supposed to get Kenwyne if he had kept Stern?

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2008, 02:48:01 PM »

Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2008, 05:33:04 PM »
Matt Le Tissier watch as Saints beat the drop

Courtesy 101 Great Goals.

One of the big stories on the final day of the Championship season was Southampton beating the drop by beating Sheffield United 3-2 in a ding-dong battle which left nerves dangling on edge. This was displayed most publicly through Sky Sports News pundit and former Saints legend Matt Le Tisser, who lived every moment of the fight for survival while commentating on the game live on air.

See Le Tisser’s roller-coaster of emotions here.
Get in there!!! Get in !!! :wavetowel:

http://101greatgoals.magnify.net/item/GB48LLQC2KQL8HG1
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 05:35:45 PM by takenoprisoners »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2008, 05:39:03 PM »
Matt Le Tissier watch as Saints beat the drop

Courtesy 101 Great Goals.

One of the big stories on the final day of the Championship season was Southampton beating the drop by beating Sheffield United 3-2 in a ding-dong battle which left nerves dangling on edge. This was displayed most publicly through Sky Sports News pundit and former Saints legend Matt Le Tisser, who lived every moment of the fight for survival while commentating on the game live on air.

See Le Tisser’s roller-coaster of emotions here.
Get in there!!! Get in !!! :wavetowel:

http://101greatgoals.magnify.net/item/GB48LLQC2KQL8HG1

get facking in there  :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel:
Youtube Channel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2008, 05:41:00 PM »
I Cant believe Skysports didnt show the highlights!!  >:( >:( >:(

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2008, 05:53:46 PM »
I Cant believe Skysports didnt show the highlights!!  >:( >:( >:(
Cyah find nutten! >:(

Saints FC

Stern's hat trick ;)

Stern John kept Saints in the Coca-Cola championship with an unusual hat trick. 
The striker scored a crucial double to cap a fantastic season and repay a quirky debt to Lee Hoos.

John was upset to discover he had lost his lucky Ohio State University baseball cap a few weeks ago.
When the club's chief executive learned of that, he arranged for his parents to bring over a new one when they visited from the States.

John was thrilled to have it replaced a fortnight ago - and was told it would cost him two goals.
He duly delivered against Sheffield United as Saints pulled off a thrilling 3-2 win to secure safety at the expense of Leicester.

John said: "Lee saw me without my usual baseball cap and asked what had happened to it so I told him I had lost it.
"It was a really nice gesture for him to get another one brought across so I was happy I could repay him.

"My goals had dried up a bit so he told me he expected two in return. I had not scored in the last couple of games so this was my last chance.
"I think it was a fair exchange! It was a fantastic day and it is a great feeling to have stayed up like this."

American Hoos explained: "Stern always wore a Buckeyes hat from Ohio State because that's where he went to university.
"My parents when were due to fly over to visit so I called them and asked them to bring a new lucky hat for him and told him it would cost him two goals.

"I would say he has paid the debt in full. It was a real nerve-wracking day but it feels almost as though we have won a trophy.
"It was a fantastic feeling when the full-time whistle sounded and we had survived. It has been a great day!"

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/?page_id=10104

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2008, 05:56:22 PM »

Stern John was thrilled to be the hero not the villain as Saints won their final-day survival battle.
The Trinidad and Tobago striker scored twice as Southampton beat Sheffield United 3-2 in an unbearably tense war of nerves at St Mary's.

But he had to suffer along with the fans after being sent off 10 minutes from time for a second bookable offence.
His sliding tackle on Derek Geary was a clear yellow card - and he had to go after being cautioned for taking off his shirt to celebrate his first goal.

John ended up watching the closing stages on the television in the dressing room and was as relieved as any of the supporters when the final whistle sounded.
He said: "It was very hard. I watched the closing stages on my knees in the dressing room. I was just praying we would hold out.

"It was probably my first tackle of the season - and that's what happened! It was a real striker's tackle, a silly one.
"I took my shirt off after I scored just through the sheer emotion. I was just so full of joy to score such an important goal.

"I think it is a bit of a silly rule but it is the law and I broke it so it was a booking. I don't think the referee saw but the linesman pointed it out.
"He called the referee over and he booked me and said to be careful or I could end up getting sent off.

"Their lad played for the tackle quite well. He saw me coming and lured me into the tackle. I am just so glad it did not cost us.
"It was hard watching it on television. I was very emotional but so glad we came through."

John took most of the plaudits for his double which took his tally for the season to 19.
But he was quick to share the praise among the rest of the team who have worked so hard this season.

He said: It is not about me. We are all in together. There is no I in team.
"We play together and win together. I might have got 19 goals but it was a team effort.

"Strikers are judged on goals and I am paid to score them - that's my job. But everyone contributed to this.
"The other lads and the manager deserve a lot of respect. It was tough when we went behind but we showed great character and resilience.

"We have not won many games after going behind but we kept cool and kept going.
"The manager was superb at half-time even though we were still at the bottom three at that time. He kept us all calm.

"We knew we needed to win but we stayed focused and kept playing well.We battered them early on but they scored against the run of play.
"It was all about the timing of the goals. Marek equalised just before the break and then I managed to put us in front. It was a real blow when they levelled again but we got back in front and held out.

"The fans were superb and drove us on and I was delighted for them that we won it and stayed up. This was for them."

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/?page_id=10105

Youtube Channel

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2008, 06:15:00 PM »
I thought a player gets booked for taking off the shirt only if there is no undershirt beneath? I find is a dotish rule too...yes there are standards of professionalism but at its basic element is still a sport with heart and passion

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2008, 06:29:50 PM »
I thought a player gets booked for taking off the shirt only if there is no undershirt beneath?

If I understood correctly, once the shirt goes over your head it falls into the "excessive celebration" category. The undershirt thing also makes it too easy to pass political and religious messages and the like. I believe this rule was first brought into effect during a world cup to make the game less susceptible to offend audiences in muslim countries, though that might be ole talk or a memory mix up. I do agree that its stupid though.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

1]; } ?>