March 28, 2024, 05:31:31 PM

Author Topic: My grandmother could play for the U.S., says La Volpe  (Read 2355 times)

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
My grandmother could play for the U.S., says La Volpe
« on: September 04, 2005, 09:16:32 AM »
(THIS IS SO TRUE, READ UNTIL THE END AND YOU WILL UNDERSTAND)

My grandmother could play for the U.S., says La Volpe

MEXICO CITY, Sept 4 (Reuters) - Mexico's coach Ricardo La Volpe described the United States as a little team which his grandmother could play for following his side's 2-0 defeat on Saturday, local media said.

"It's a little team," La Volpe was widely quoted as saying following the World Cup qualifier in Columbus, Ohio.

"Here, everyone's interested in baseball and American football and many people didn't even know that a soccer match was being played today.

ADVERTISEMENT

"So it's easy for them, because they aren't playing under any pressure. My mother, my grandmother or my great grandmother could play in a team like that."

The U.S., who have 18 points from seven games in the final stage of the CONCACAF qualifying competition, booked their place at next year's World Cup with the win.

Mexico, unbeaten in their previous 14 qualifying matches and two points behind the U.S., still need one point from their final three games to qualify.

"They scored a goal and then they sat back," said Argentine La Volpe.

The match had been preceeded by a slanging match, sparked by an interview which U.S. striker Landon Donovan gave to Spanish language media in his country.

Donovan said the Mexicans were jealous of the U.S., always out to humiliate them and he wanted to make them feel miserable.

After Saturday's match, Donovan was in no more conciliatory mood.

"They suck," he said. "I'm so happy. After we got that first goal they were never in the game. Hopefully that will shut them up for the next three or four years."

Updated on Sunday, Sep 4, 200

truetrini

Re: My grandmother could play for the U.S., says La Volpe
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 09:23:46 AM »
hahahahaha to the victor goes the spoils.

Mexico eh win ah game vs USA in the US fuh ah long time.

And besides dat dey always talking shite.

If yuh takking so much shit yuh must perform...do like Muhammed Ali or shut to F@ck up.

USA school dem and now make it first.

Ah hope dat make Mexico rest 7 on Guatemala  and after we take 3 from CR is on de road.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 09:27:44 AM »
Durin and after de Confederations Cup, it didn't have people on dis site sayin Mexico was one a de 3 best teams in de world??..... ::) ::) ::)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Warrior till death

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIOR NATION MEMBER #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 09:28:24 AM »
If he say dat about the US team....what dat say for us  ???
 :'(

truetrini

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 09:52:55 AM »
tell dem Palos

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2005, 09:59:23 AM »
If he say dat about the US team....what dat say for usĀ  ???
 :'(

we have pressure to win from we  whole country, other than the USA

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lavolpe!
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2005, 11:02:23 AM »
haul yuh stink ass.
Yuh team get beat by a better team on the nite.
It doh matter if people in the US dont really follow soccer.
That should actually be embarassing for you, cause imagine if the US was a soccer mad country like Mexico, God help us all....
Boss goal by Beasley though

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2005, 02:00:39 PM »
yuh know when sides go Mexico and get licks, men does talk bout altitude and dis and dat and no oxygen and all kinda F'in B.S.  Right now as I speak I am in the US 5000 ft above sea level...and that normal...more than 1/3 of the US this high...and men on the US team from all over.
so let the US get a lil homefield advantage too nah palos...not everybody could play normal with all kinda smog and pollution in the air.

but besides all that yuh know that is the nature of rivalry...eg England -Argentina...one of them could be the very best in teh world, adn the other the very shittiest....all ah dat is left behind when they step on the field and is anybody's game.

truetrini

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2005, 02:07:00 PM »
ah wonder if Volpe granny have ah green card?

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2005, 03:20:04 PM »
De man have a point.Yu could pick yu grandmother to represent de US and it would'nt matter to de American public.However everything you do in Mexico and de other Concacaf countries is scrutinise intensely.You have little....really no........ pressure in de US coaching de national team.
That's why Arena does have a little stupid grin on his face after he win a game against Concacaf countries.
He did'nt have it after he lost to England second string de other day though.
Only in de concacaf America is seen as a big soccer country.Outside they're still novices doh matter where they rank and how much world cup de reach.
Not until de Americans respect de game they did'nt invent will dey earn respect for a game they're progressing in.

truetrini

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2005, 03:36:29 PM »
so last world cup what dem americans do?

1]; } ?>