April 25, 2024, 11:33:45 AM

Author Topic: Fight down to de wire  (Read 2246 times)

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Fight down to de wire
« on: September 04, 2005, 09:37:04 AM »
Fellas, that was the happpiest and most rewarding day of my football supporting life (Since Jamerson's goal).  Many days before sweating. Great networking on the forum leading to a fantastic Trini posse that smartlly chose to show up at Puente de Oro II in the Silver Spring area (Wheaton) of Maryland. Good facilities and surprisingly tolerant wetbacks who took their defeat graciously (many actually were Salvadoreans) and shook our hands. Good to meet up with Uprising, Doc and many others.

In that rollercoaster frenzy, what struck me was the tactical brilliance of Beenie and the quality selection from the beginning. At first I was worried when the screen line-up showed Wolfe and others but when the team was shown and their positions seen, I was so happy.

I was praying for Sancho in central defense, Spann at right back (midfielder with ball skills converted to defense), Carlos at right midfield for the crosses (no suprise) but having many defensive duties with Spann, and Latapy separated far Carlos high up on the left, sucking defense away from middle, pulling 2-3 men at times as Latas just mesmerized them with ball skills. Whitley, Birch mixing it up in the middle. Stern up front and Yorke initially up front with him.   What was interesting was the dynamic nature of positions, how Latapay was switched around, how Yorke moved up and back. Jack was brimming with shot stopping confidence and coming off his line better. Sancho looked like a friggin' Brazilian defensive general as if he owned the damn field. Awesome. Everybody shooting bullets on target, ball skills, chest trapping and corners looking neat and well oiled, Birch scrambling and winning back balls and the Guatemalan showpiece midfield was neutralized.
When things were dicey I knew we would be ok as we were creating several opportunities with our formation while trying to keep defensive shape.

It was nice to see the Guats watching us with repect and coming to shake our hands admitting that we deserved to win. They watched Latas and I could see the awe in their faces as replay after replay was shown of his moves from the left, right and zoom cameras.

Thanks to Flex and Tallman for helping magic moments to be felt in numerous bars in pockets all over the US and in T&T and in other far away places.

Also, on Telemundo, saw the US put a 2-0 cutarse on Mexicio with a goal contribution by that malnourished pain in the backside Beasley. More importantly Costa Rica humiliated Panama 3-0 in Panama. I was hoping that Panama would beat CR for our sake . Watching the game, it was interesting to note the very intimidating frenzied atmosphere (all red) in Panama. Looks like more than 40,000 ram. Panama was all over Costa Rica initially, with the crowd giving the players a frenzied adrenaline rush but I could sense CRs more mature, refined look. Panama was playing hungrily but CR always seemed to sense that there willl be a time and place to counter as Panama recklessly threw everything forward. When CR struck they did it with a precision that was just on a different level. Deadly. They are dangerous finishers even from a 20-25 yd distance but Panama's naivete in the back made them look good too.  Panama's dangerous striker Tejada messed up badly, something like Stern when he was going through a bad patch and if he had finished properly Panama would have won with 4 goals or more. CR eat some yellow cards though and their coach took off one of them to preseve him.

Well, here are the standings from the FIFA website with important "goals for", and "goal difference".  Got to keep on scoring goals and improving our goal difference in case we end up on the same points. Good to see that Panama is becoming hopeless. But still have to play them carefully in Panama. Forumites, feel free to create scenarios in the points after the following matches

Groups & Standings

Team                         MP  W  D  L  GF  GA  Pts
 USA                           7    6   0  1  14   3   18
 Mexico                        7    5   1  1  11   5   16
 Costa Rica                    7   3    1 3   9   11   10
 Guatemala                   7    2    1 4   11 12    7
 Trinidad and Tobago     7    2    1 4    7  12    7
 Panama                       7    0    2 5   4   13    2

Now, to come: (Home team mentioned first)

Set 7th:    Mexico vs Panama
               Costa Rica vs T&T               Guatemala vs USA

Oct 8th:   Panama vs T&T
               Costa Rica vs USA
               Maxico vs Guatemala

Oct 12th:  T&T vs Mexico
                Guatemala vs Costa Rica
                USA vs Panama

All I can say is that it would be really nice if we can squeeze out a win in Costa Rica as the possible permutations are nerve racking as the end draws near. Trust me, the same worries haunt the others. USA (now qualified) please send a serious side to Costa Rica.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

truetrini

Re: Fight down to de wire
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 09:46:14 AM »
goal difference does not count.

head to head meetings are the tie breaker.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 09:57:17 AM »
Don't quit understand what is meant by head to head. Somebody please clarify.

Offline KND

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 10:05:47 AM »
If we and CR tie in points and we draw and win(the next game) against them we go through, even if they have a better goal difference.

if we tie with Guatemala they will go through as they beat us we beat them but they have the better goal difference.

Once the Head to Head match up is a tie then it goes down to Goal difference

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 10:11:50 AM »
Thanks. Very well expained KND. That is a whole new factor to worry about.  Well, it still keeps the goal difference relevant.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2005, 11:20:07 AM »
I predict:

Sept 7:    Mex 5,  Pan 0
              CR 1,    T&T 2
              Guat 1, USA 3

Oct 8:     Pan 0,   T&T 3
              CR  0,    USA 1
              Mex 2,   Guat 2

Oct 12:   T&T 3,   Mex 2
              Guat 1,  CR 1
              USA 3,   Pan 1

Final tally:  T&T 13, CR 11, Guat 8, Pan 2
T&T goes through to Germany as third place finisher.
CR scrapes through in play-ff with Uzbekistan

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2005, 11:24:15 AM »
check yuh tally

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2005, 12:01:56 PM »
Sorry,
Thanks Maxg
Here's the correction.

T&T 16,  CR 11,  Guat 8,  Pan 2 with the same consequences as mentioned above. If T&T gets 13 points before we play Mexico, I guarantee we will beat Mexico in Trinidad for a final tally of 16 points

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Is USA sending a serous team to Guatemal?
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2005, 09:34:45 AM »
Fellas,

b] Check this report on US team selection fot their game in Guatemala.  We need USA to put real licks on Guetemala. Fortunately their talent pool is very deep. Note Eddie Johnson is there.  I recognize that the big name keepers are not. But doh worry. Is licks for Guatemala for
us to benefit[/b]

Arena Turns Focus To Guatemala 05/09/05

U.S. Manager Bruce Arena announced an 18-man travel roster for the upcoming qualifier against Guatemala on MatchDay 8 of final round qualifying for the 2006 FIFA World Cup. Most of the stars playing club soccer overseas have been returned, with several MLS players joining camp.
The Reading duo of Bobby Convey and Marcus Hahnemann are all that remains of the European-based contingent, while Eddie Johnson, Chad Marshall, Matt Reis and Greg Vanney have been recalled from their MLS clubs.  Kansas City Wizards defender Nick Garcia is the only new addition to the original training camp roster in Columbus.  The team will train Sunday and Monday in Columbus before departing for Guatemala City late Monday afternoon. 

Kickoff on Sept. 7 in Guatemala City is set for 8 p.m. local (10 p.m. ET), and the match will be televised live on ESPN2.  Fans can also follow the match live on ussoccer.com's MatchTracker, presented by Philips Electronics.

U.S. National Team Roster

Goalkeepers – Marcus Hahnemann (Reading FC), Matt Reis (New England Revolution)

Defenders – Chris Albright (Los Angeles Galaxy), Jimmy Conrad (Kansas City Wizards), Nick Garcia (Kansas City Wizards), Frankie Hejduk (Columbus Crew), Chad Marshall (Columbus Crew), Greg Vanney (FC Dallas)

Midfielders – Chris Armas (Chicago Fire), Bobby Convey (Reading FC), Clint Dempsey (New England Revolution),  Pablo Mastroeni (Colorado Rapids), Santino Quaranta (D.C. United), Steve Ralston (New England Revolution)

Forwards – Jeff Cunningham (Colorado Rapids), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Eddie Johnson (FC Dallas), Taylor Twellman
(New England Revolution)

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
New defense arrangement and best formation for the Costa Rica game
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2005, 12:48:24 PM »
Forumites,
  I am dying to see a dicussion about what to do about the Defense and to some extent the rest of the formation which depends on that decision. Until I see this I can't talk about team selection as a whole. It is bothering me that people are quiet about this.

With Avery out, who we go put at left back in this CRUCUAL game? Now that it appears to some (I for one) that Sancho serves us better as a central defender with very good ball control (remember he was a former striker with Charleston Battery and ? midfielder for Malick) should room be made for Lawrence, and Sancho moved up to a Jamerson sweeper role?
Should we chance farting around with Atiba and Cyd Gray on the LEFT in that frenzied atmosphere and draw a panic red card foul? Or is Atiba, Cyd able to handle dey stories?

Does Cox (who is truly a central defender) convertible to wing or does the jury believe he is too slow for that position? Is he just there in case Dog gets injured?

Should Spann be moved to left wing and break up the Carlos - Spann right side chemistry?

How should we adapt to Costa Rica's unique style and players? They are strong in the air too. (unlike Guatemala)

I am assuming we are playing to win and cannot go to play a lock down defense only game. A draw is no good. Is this turf at altitude like Saprissa stadium? In that case should we conserve energy in 1st half playing defense to avoid gasping for air in the 2nd half?

Help meh fellas please.

Offline Hyperhot J

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2005, 02:14:47 PM »
    For once I really praying that the US WIN, not tie but win!! If Guat. even tie and we lose to CR things go start to get rough!! If Guat. wins, (which is possible but no comment) then we go go have to look to beat Pana. (good enough) AND Mexico at home (a next anxiety attack for me coming just like on Saturday). So Go USA go!! *Cyah believe I said that but then I pretending to think is they hot hot tanned women I supporting... yummyy...* hehe

J.
"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power." 

Cassius told Brutus in Julius Caesar by Shakespeare

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2005, 02:36:37 PM »
    For once I really praying that the US WIN, not tie but win!! If Guat. even tie and we lose to CR things go start to get rough!! If Guat. wins, (which is possible but no comment) then we go go have to look to beat Pana. (good enough) AND Mexico at home (a next anxiety attack for me coming just like on Saturday). So Go USA go!! *Cyah believe I said that but then I pretending to think is they hot hot tanned women I supporting... yummyy...* hehe

J.

You are right. A strong USA is needed to keep Guatemala at bay on Wed and Costa Rica in check on Oct 8th. I am confident that the NOW CONFIDENT T&T can beat Costa Rica for the first time in Costa Rica. I really believe in Beenies strategy with close attention to defensive formation while attacking and bussing his brains to find the right defenders and invent new ones. The fella can handle all the Costa Ricans screaming and they believe that they can score in the 92nd minute, a quality that Angus Eve did contribute to in the past

1]; } ?>