April 27, 2024, 09:54:58 PM

Author Topic: Liverpool vs Chelsea CL Semi-final Leg 2  (Read 16037 times)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool vs Chelsea CL Semi-final Leg 2
« Reply #120 on: April 30, 2008, 10:03:30 PM »
well look at trouble now.is ah race fuh both CL and EPL titles.

We lost control of our destiny in the race for epl with the two draws to Spurs and Wigan. manu in control ah dat. we hadda set we sights on Moscow.

For all the men that talkin about how abramogrant took Chelsea where Jose didn't, well ketch allyuh self eh. Nobody knows where Jose woulda had this team if he didn't take on the moosad and decide to leave.
 Moses may have taken us to the promised land, but jose parted the Red Sea for him to get there. Doh fuhget dat.     ;)

words of wisdom for once  :devil:

:bs:

heheh, nah breds. there is no if. Mourinho didn't do it. Grant did. Give de man his props without taking anything away from Mourinho who did a great job himself. I eh hear nobody praising Ranieri for making Chelsea a legit big side. You could stand here and say what if Ranieri had get one more year..blah blah blah. It doh matter. All the men who say Grant do with Jose didn't are correct. For all you know Jose left at the right time. Look at Rijkaard and Barca. If Frank had leave in the beginning of the season wit dat big side dey after the Henry signing, people wouldah be speculating how they could win the treble. He stuck around and after two back to back titles and second place finish in the past 3 seasons (sound familiar)..he is now persona non grata at Camp Nou..So leave the what if by the door..

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Imagine Avram do what Jose couldn't
« Reply #121 on: April 30, 2008, 11:16:26 PM »
luck  ::)

a man say luck yes....nahh man...
u serious?

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 30, 2008, 11:20:00 PM »
mourinho lay d ground work for Grant
Like when ya tryin to open a tightly closed jar, u real try...and somebody come and do it in a second and  make ya look small....is cause ya loosen it up for dem!
as much as i doh like him....he slowly gettin some character...not comparin it to Mourinho's though

I know it go mean hoping for W. Ham and Wigan (2 flickin jumbie sides) to help ma side chelsea...
but i stickin to what i said a month ago
Man utd winning no trophies!

if it happens..so be it..
they good but they gettin all d attn like they done win everything already!
i lie?

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 01, 2008, 12:24:16 AM »
ah just want to say big up man like Feliziano...

whey man like Tenor Saw.. man like boss and de whole ah de liverpool fraternity..

of course we cyah forget de gyal dem...

whey gyal like bake n shittings..

tired tell allyuh..

shit side is shit side!!

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Ah leave de last remnants o' de liverpull faithful still singin' dey arse off in Neveda Smith's 9 o'clock tonight. One by one dey tricklin' out and staggerin' home. Ah guess they do walk alone after all...... ;D

Seriously, though: Liverpool is a difficult team to like, after all, shuyt side is shuyt side, but dey fans does party nice.

Drogba leave de "DDQ" act at home today and showed how effective he can be when he decide to just play football. Joe Cole and Ballack had nice games, too as did "The Beast", Essien and the back four. Cyah blame nobody for Torres goal (thank goodness benitez was chupid enough to take 'im off in trut') that was the result of brilliant play by he and benayoun.  Cech try to palm out Babel shot but mis-time it.  

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 01, 2008, 01:20:48 AM »

We lost control of our destiny in the race for epl with the two draws to Spurs and Wigan. manu in control ah dat. we hadda set we sights on Moscow.

For all the men that talkin about how abramogrant took Chelsea where Jose didn't, well ketch allyuh self eh. Nobody knows where Jose woulda had this team if he didn't take on the moosad and decide to leave.
 Moses may have taken us to the promised land, but jose parted the Red Sea for him to get there. Doh fuhget dat.     ;)

heheh, nah breds. there is no if. Mourinho didn't do it. Grant did. Give de man his props without taking anything away from Mourinho who did a great job himself. I eh hear nobody praising Ranieri for making Chelsea a legit big side. You could stand here and say what if Ranieri had get one more year..blah blah blah. It doh matter. All the men who say Grant do with Jose didn't are correct. For all you know Jose left at the right time. Look at Rijkaard and Barca. If Frank had leave in the beginning of the season wit dat big side dey after the Henry signing, people wouldah be speculating how they could win the treble. He stuck around and after two back to back titles and second place finish in the past 3 seasons (sound familiar)..he is now persona non grata at Camp Nou..So leave the what if by the door..

Nah, Filho, I beg to differ. I tink you is de one talkin' de :bs:  and being just as speculative here. To compare ANY team's situation against another's is always going to be conjecture on your part, so don't even bring Barca and Frank Rijkaard into it. With all the in-fighting, injuries and coaching exchange(s) going on, one could have expected some kinda change, whether it be for better or worse.
Jose took over this team at the beginning of a season, got rid of some players, brought in other new ones, and started a whole new philosophy  and self-belief to Chelsea. That was very clear.  It's very easy for abramogrant to say now, that he did things "his way" after beating liverpool yesterday.  Last I remember, Chelsea was looking like the same side of last year, and grinding out the same kinda results against this same liverpool et al up until John Arne Riise gave us a signed blank check at the stroke of midnight last tuesday.  That gift forced rafa into playing a game that  would have left liverpool open and we still only ground out a 1-1 tie after 90.
But he wasn't saying he was  doing things "his way" during the season when Chelsea was: losing @ anfield, drawing 0-0 with them @ Stamford Bridge, losing to Barnsley, drawing with Wigan (and the list goes on) and fans and critics alike were calling them the same old Chelsea, was he? And this even after brian-draining from Barca and bringing Ten Cate on board. Maybe HE'S the one pulling the strings, who knows?

This is still Jose's team, boss, save for Nicholas Anelka.     

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 01, 2008, 02:17:56 AM »

whey man like Tenor Saw.. man like boss and de whole ah de liverpool fraternity..

tired tell allyuh..

shit side is shit side!!

Went to the match last night and sat quietly among the Chelsea support. I have a massive line across my ass from sitting on the edge of my seat. No excuses from me at all. Well done Chelsea.  :applause:

For the record, Torres had a hamstring injury.  :beermug:

Not much else to say really. I'm more numb than disappointed.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 01, 2008, 05:01:19 AM »

tired tell allyuh..

shit side is shit side!!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Omar boy yuh have mih co-workers wondering wha happen to mih....ah like how yuh warm dem up and dem bam........yuh not nice... :devil:

:rotfl: :rotfl:
Ah love it!!!!.....(copyright Andre Samuel)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 05:04:20 AM by brownsugar »
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 01, 2008, 07:20:26 AM »

Nah, Filho, I beg to differ. I tink you is de one talkin' de :bs:  and being just as speculative here. To compare ANY team's situation against another's is always going to be conjecture on your part, so don't even bring Barca and Frank Rijkaard into it. With all the in-fighting, injuries and coaching exchange(s) going on, one could have expected some kinda change, whether it be for better or worse.
Jose took over this team at the beginning of a season, got rid of some players, brought in other new ones, and started a whole new philosophy  and self-belief to Chelsea. That was very clear.  It's very easy for abramogrant to say now, that he did things "his way" after beating liverpool yesterday.  Last I remember, Chelsea was looking like the same side of last year, and grinding out the same kinda results against this same liverpool et al up until John Arne Riise gave us a signed blank check at the stroke of midnight last tuesday.  That gift forced rafa into playing a game that  would have left liverpool open and we still only ground out a 1-1 tie after 90.
But he wasn't saying he was  doing things "his way" during the season when Chelsea was: losing @ anfield, drawing 0-0 with them @ Stamford Bridge, losing to Barnsley, drawing with Wigan (and the list goes on) and fans and critics alike were calling them the same old Chelsea, was he? And this even after brian-draining from Barca and bringing Ten Cate on board. Maybe HE'S the one pulling the strings, who knows?

well said...in retrospect i look back at avram's tenaure..and now it looks impressive...
but..if u look at chelsea...they looked no different from the chelsea team mourinho had...

the main difference is..right now..there is no tension between the coach and abramovich which more than anything contributed to chelsea's erratic start to the season...

i go give grant he jacket...he may not be a shrewd tactician or disciplinarian like jose was..buh he nuh stupid either...he didn't really change chelsea's style of play..all he did was give his players a little more freedom..but overall chelsea still play jose mourinho's brand.. grant was there while mourinho was there.don't forget that..so he knows what will work for this team and what won't..

in fact he still plays mourhinho prefered 4-3-3 formation!!!

and YES...he has been lucky...do u really think a jose mourinho team would have lost like they did to fenerbahce in turkey?
lookat who chelsea has played...olypiakos? fenerbahce?
mourinho played barcelona every year!!!
and more than likely the tune of this semi final may have been different if john arne riise didn't decide to score that amazing own goal a week ago..even look at the penatly chelsea got against man u...how lucky can u get?

this is what don howe from england's daily telegraph had to say about the tactical side of the game

Don Howe's key areas

1: The only explanation for the amazing sea-change in the Chelsea display after half-time was that Avram Grant told his players to sit back and wait for Liverpool to come at them and then respond with counter-attacking. It backfired dangerously because he allowed the visitors to take command and that was only put right during his extra-time pep talk.
2: Didier Drogba was Chelsea in microcosm because he was so erratic. After a blinding first half, he went through the motions before raising his game again in extra-time. The downturn in his performance shows what can happen when you leave a lone striker isolated and midfielders stop getting forward in support.
3: Substitutions are vitally important in crunch games like this and Rafael Benitez must be regretting not taking off Fernando Torres a little earlier. Despite scoring a fine goal, the Spaniard hardly got a kick against the Chelsea defence. Ryan Babel showed at the end what might have been with his late goal

also more than anything i beleive these players have been inspired by what happened with mourinho depature at the start of the season and the criticism CHELSEA endured as a result..it is clear more than anything the players want it badly this time...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 07:25:35 AM by Arazi »

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 01, 2008, 07:32:45 AM »
Just a few questions for those who are trying to compare Avram Grant's coaching ability with Mourinho.

- How come there is not one word of praise, credit or acknowledgement of his influence in Chelsea's success from any of the players?

- Do you think if Avram Grant was fired, he would be offered a job at any other big club in Europe?

- Do you think Avram Grant could win the UEFA Cup and Champions League with FC Porto?

- Does it seem to you like Avram Grant is in total control of his players?

I will give him (or whatever god he's praying to) his credit for taking Chelsea to the champions league final. In fact, his decisions have actually gotten alot better in my eyes in the latter stages of the season.

But no need to use this to take the shine off the incredible accomplishments of Mourinho. Lets not forget that it was Mourinho who smashed down the EPL ManU-Arsenal duopoly and forced those clubs to raise their level. As a matter of fact, I will go as far to say Mourinho is the reason why British clubs have done so well in the CL this year. But thats a whole next discusson.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 01, 2008, 08:04:28 AM »
[

Nah, Filho, I beg to differ. I tink you is de one talkin' de :bs: and being just as speculative here. To compare ANY team's situation against another's is always going to be conjecture on your part, so don't even bring Barca and Frank Rijkaard into it. With all the in-fighting, injuries and coaching exchange(s) going on, one could have expected some kinda change, whether it be for better or worse.
Jose took over this team at the beginning of a season, got rid of some players, brought in other new ones, and started a whole new philosophy and self-belief to Chelsea. That was very clear. It's very easy for abramogrant to say now, that he did things "his way" after beating liverpool yesterday. Last I remember, Chelsea was looking like the same side of last year, and grinding out the same kinda results against this same liverpool et al up until John Arne Riise gave us a signed blank check at the stroke of midnight last tuesday. That gift forced rafa into playing a game that would have left liverpool open and we still only ground out a 1-1 tie after 90.
But he wasn't saying he was doing things "his way" during the season when Chelsea was: losing @ anfield, drawing 0-0 with them @ Stamford Bridge, losing to Barnsley, drawing with Wigan (and the list goes on) and fans and critics alike were calling them the same old Chelsea, was he? And this even after brian-draining from Barca and bringing Ten Cate on board. Maybe HE'S the one pulling the strings, who knows?

Jesus Chow. You have to be kidding. How can you accuse me of speculating? I brought up those points to prove that speculation is useless. My point is you can speculate in a million different directions and go on forever. There is no point to it. So no need to go on about why you can't compare Barca with Chelsea cuz i completely agree. you jess didn't get my point. Look at the sentence in bold. That is basically all I have to say.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #130 on: May 01, 2008, 08:26:16 AM »
Jesus Chow. You have to be kidding. How can you accuse me of speculating? I brought up those points to prove that speculation is useless. My point is you can speculate in a million different directions and go on forever. There is no point to it. So no need to go on about why you can't compare Barca with Chelsea cuz i completely agree. you jess didn't get my point. Look at the sentence in bold. That is basically all I have to say.

Filho like yuh don't know that after God is Mourinho.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 01, 2008, 08:27:38 AM »

well said...in retrospect i look back at avram's tenaure..and now it looks impressive...
but..if u look at chelsea...they looked no different from the chelsea team mourinho had...

the main difference is..right now..there is no tension between the coach and abramovich which more than anything contributed to chelsea's erratic start to the season...

i go give grant he jacket...he may not be a shrewd tactician or disciplinarian like jose was..buh he nuh stupid either...he didn't really change chelsea's style of play..all he did was give his players a little more freedom..but overall chelsea still play jose mourinho's brand.. grant was there while mourinho was there.don't forget that..so he knows what will work for this team and what won't..

and YES...he has been lucky...do u really think a jose mourinho team would have lost like they did to fenerbahce in turkey?
and more than likely the tune of this semi final may have been different if john arne riise didn't decide to score that amazing own goal a week ago..even look at the penatly chelsea got against man u...how lucky can u get?

this is what don howe from england's daily telegraph had to say about the tactical side of the game

Don Howe's key areas

1: The only explanation for the amazing sea-change in the Chelsea display after half-time was that Avram Grant told his players to sit back and wait for Liverpool to come at them and then respond with counter-attacking. It backfired dangerously because he allowed the visitors to take command and that was only put right during his extra-time pep talk.
2: Didier Drogba was Chelsea in microcosm because he was so erratic. After a blinding first half, he went through the motions before raising his game again in extra-time. The downturn in his performance shows what can happen when you leave a lone striker isolated and midfielders stop getting forward in support.
3: Substitutions are vitally important in crunch games like this and Rafael Benitez must be regretting not taking off Fernando Torres a little earlier. Despite scoring a fine goal, the Spaniard hardly got a kick against the Chelsea defence. Ryan Babel showed at the end what might have been with his late goal

also more than anything i beleive these players have been inspired by what happened with mourinho depature at the start of the season and the criticism CHELSEA endured as a result..it is clear more than anything the players want it badly this time...
        A lot of you guys could stay there and speculate on what should or should not have been but i would say Grant is a boss,when he came to Chelsea nobody gave him any chance of surviving in the EPL,everything he did was judged/measured with the success Murinho had,even right now the man did an excellent job and Murinho name still calling,weather it's his style or not you have to give the guy credit,why change something that's working just for changeing it sake,the game is all about success and they are successful,what does he have to prove by changeing Chelsea's style of play,at the moment he is a better Coach than Wenger because what he is doing is working for the team.    

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 01, 2008, 08:31:16 AM »

Don Howe's key areas

A lot of you guys could stay there and speculate on what should or should not have been but i would say Grant is a boss,when he came to Chelsea nobody gave him any chance of surviving in the EPL,everything he did was judged/measured with the success Murinho had,even right now the man did an excellent job and Murinho name still calling,weather it's his style or not you have to give the guy credit,why change something that's working just for changeing it sake,the game is all about success and they are successful,what does he have to prove by changeing Chelsea's style of play,at the moment he is a better Coach than Wenger because what he is doing is working for the team.    
yes and no. the man inheretied ah tried and tested team with very good players. I knwo they still needed coachign ..nonetheless.....as someoen commented if he coulda do that with fc porto i woulda give him  more props...
but at the end of the day i eh really think its dat serious oui.....the better team won. hands down.
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 01, 2008, 08:42:44 AM »
Just a few questions for those who are trying to compare Avram Grant's coaching ability with Mourinho.

- How come there is not one word of praise, credit or acknowledgement of his influence in Chelsea's success from any of the players?

- Do you think if Avram Grant was fired, he would be offered a job at any other big club in Europe?

- Do you think Avram Grant could win the UEFA Cup and Champions League with FC Porto?

I will give him (or whatever god he's praying to) his credit for taking Chelsea to the champions league final. In fact, his decisions have actually gotten alot better in my eyes in the latter stages of the season.

But no need to use this to take the shine off the incredible accomplishments of Mourinho. Lets not forget that it was Mourinho who smashed down the EPL ManU-Arsenal duopoly and forced those clubs to raise their level. As a matter of fact, I will go as far to say Mourinho is the reason why British clubs have done so well in the CL this year. But thats a whole next discusson.

who's taking away anything from Mourinho? you seem to think people are saying Grant is better than Mourinho as a coach. That's a dumb concept imo, since the success of a coach depends on many factors, some of which are beyond the coach's control.

-as for your first question. Not true. The players have come to Grant's defense, but the press doesn't like him. Much more fun to focus on the negative. Plus, the answer to that may actually say nothing about his coaching ability and maybe more about his popularity with the players who may be loyal to Mourinho or simply prefer the Portugues coach's style. Also, don't hold players in such high regard. Some of them are primadonna clowns. Read books by Ashley Cole and Frank Lampard and you will know what I mean about style over substance

-second question. again..who is saying he's better than Mourinho assuming we caan even make such blanket statements. Plus. big clubs in Europe want high profile glamorous names. An unproven coach like Rijkaard was always more likely to get the Barca job than a tried and true 'nobody' with better coach credentials. Marco Van Basten, Dunga, Klinsmann, Koeman etc etc. Image is a big part of the equation for big clubs and national teams and Mourinho trumps Grant in that regard. Mourinho could win nothing for 5 years, Grant could win everything and the big clubs will likely still want Mourinho.

-third question. who knows. Porto winning the UEFA cup excellent but not extraordinary. you eh supposed to be surprised if the team that dominates Portoguese football wins the UEFA CUP. But them winning the CL was absolutely amazing. Of course they did play Monaco in the final, so it was a weird year for the CL. Could Mourinho repeat such a feat is just as important a question. I'd GUESS (note the choice of words)..not. Outside of manU, I don't thin Porto really met a team that was supposed to beat them. But reall...who knows what the answer to this question is. I mean he never made it back to the final with a substantially stronger squad...makes his CL glory with POrto seem a little flukish

-last question is a regurgitation of the first. besides..plenty players spoke out against Mourinho while at Chelsea. Joe Cole, Carvalho, Drogba. Isn't the big rumor that terry sabotage Mourinho and played a big part in 'forcing' him out..Doesn't sound like he had control of all his squad at all. Things weren't always cool behind closed doors, but if your club as good PR and the press likes you, they can feed you any image they want. Grant does not have the luxury of the latter and you basing some of your opinion of what you're getting or not getting form the press. Not really a rock solid way to form opnions

Anyway..all I saying is Grant did something right that Mourinho didn't do. For a guy who gets no respect, he has shown amazing composure, resilience and steered the ship to touching distance of some great achievements. What you fail to realize is that if a team like Chelsea played with no coaching staff, they'd be worse than Derby. the 11 greatest players in the world and no coach ain't gonna be any good as a team as any average tactician could pick them apart form the sidelines. And Grant dealing with massive egos most of whom apparently don't rate him according to you. if anything..that makes his achievement's even greater

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 01, 2008, 10:03:32 AM »
Filho.. Ever consider a career in politics? I'm truly impressed by the way you extract the minor exceptions to make your point. Lemme respond to you piece by piece..

who's taking away anything from Mourinho? you seem to think people are saying Grant is better than Mourinho as a coach. That's a dumb concept imo, since the success of a coach depends on many factors, some of which are beyond the coach's control.

Surely a dumb concept but its being peddled about in full vigor today. Especially the chelsea haters, they're saying that it proves the special one really isn't so special after all. Theyre saying that Grant did what Jose didn't do etc. I wasn't referring on here so much with the opinion as much as a prevailing view point i'm seeing a bit here and alot elsewhere.

-as for your first question. Not true. The players have come to Grant's defense, but the press doesn't like him. Much more fun to focus on the negative. Plus, the answer to that may actually say nothing about his coaching ability and maybe more about his popularity with the players who may be loyal to Mourinho or simply prefer the Portugues coach's style. Also, don't hold players in such high regard. Some of them are primadonna clowns. Read books by Ashley Cole and Frank Lampard and you will know what I mean about style over substance

There is a big difference between coming to his defence and praising his input i.e. "Lay off Avram Grant" and "Avram Grant is doing a great job". Furthermore look at who's talking about Grant.  The only people who i've seen say anything of the sort is John Terry and as club captain and alleged turncoat to Mourinho I wouldn't really expect him to say much more. Then Ballack now and then who probably just glad his sweat booked under the new regime. I cant read one interview today where the players are giving the manager praise for reaching the CL final which is shocking to say the least.  Don't be surprised if people like Drogba, Malouda, Essien, Makalele and Carvalho run for the exit door in the summer.

With regards to credit to the players, I'm lauding their ability to focus in the midst of everything and get on with the job; not lauding their substance or humanitarian qualities. Most footballers are clowns anyway.

-second question. again..who is saying he's better than Mourinho assuming we caan even make such blanket statements. Plus. big clubs in Europe want high profile glamorous names. An unproven coach like Rijkaard was always more likely to get the Barca job than a tried and true 'nobody' with better coach credentials. Marco Van Basten, Dunga, Klinsmann, Koeman etc etc. Image is a big part of the equation for big clubs and national teams and Mourinho trumps Grant in that regard. Mourinho could win nothing for 5 years, Grant could win everything and the big clubs will likely still want Mourinho.

Not true if we examine the exact same circumstances that Mourinho arrived at Chelsea under. If you rewind to when Ranieri was sacked, the 'high profile' names you speak about were being thrown about as a likely successor. Sven, Hiddink, Capello, Lippi et al.. Despite Mourinho's success, his appointment was viewed with a great amount of skepticism by the supporters and he was somewhat of a surprise choice. Its not always about profile - Del Bosque at Real Madrid followed by the youth team coaches then Bernd Schuster. Ancelotti had no big profile when he took over AC Milan. Quique Sanchez at Valencia, Magath at Bayern Munich and many more examples.

-third question. who knows. Porto winning the UEFA cup excellent but not extraordinary. you eh supposed to be surprised if the team that dominates Portoguese football wins the UEFA CUP. But them winning the CL was absolutely amazing. Of course they did play Monaco in the final, so it was a weird year for the CL. Could Mourinho repeat such a feat is just as important a question. I'd GUESS (note the choice of words)..not. Outside of manU, I don't thin Porto really met a team that was supposed to beat them. But reall...who knows what the answer to this question is. I mean he never made it back to the final with a substantially stronger squad...makes his CL glory with POrto seem a little flukish[/b]

Lol.. I had to check up on this, but for your info on the way to the final, they beat Real Madrid, Manchester United, a very good Lyon team and a very good Deportivo La Coruna team. Taking Chelsea to the semi finals should also not be viewed as some kind of failure to repeat the success he had with Porto. To be fair, one could argue that luck had a big part to play in losing out to Liverpool for 2 years as well as the excellence of Benitez in the CL.

Lewwe doh play like Chelsea had no big superstars in the first title winning season. He brought in a big squad, but you cant say anybody at that point couldve been considered superstars. Drogba was an unknown commodity and came to England a purger. Joe Cole was trying to find heself and Mourinho turned him into a left winger. Lampard wasnt what he was today. Terry wasn't as dominating as yet until that defence was built.

Lets not forget that Mourinho brought something new and revolutionary to the game. Besides bringing the acknowledged best pre-match scouting of opponents in the business at the time, he brought a different system and style of play that many teams, even Manchester United, tried to copy (SAF abandon he 4-4-2 and put Van Nistelrooy up front) to try to beat them. That (imitation) to me is the hallmark of a genius.

-last question is a regurgitation of the first. besides..plenty players spoke out against Mourinho while at Chelsea. Joe Cole, Carvalho, Drogba. Isn't the big rumor that terry sabotage Mourinho and played a big part in 'forcing' him out..Doesn't sound like he had control of all his squad at all. Things weren't always cool behind closed doors, but if your club as good PR and the press likes you, they can feed you any image they want. Grant does not have the luxury of the latter and you basing some of your opinion of what you're getting or not getting form the press. Not really a rock solid way to form opnions

The players who spoke out against Mourinho were dealt with forthwith. Joe Cole was screwing in the earlies but mourinho made it clear he wasn't contributing enough defensively. One game Joe Cole score a beauty (think against man utd) and Mourinho waste him down in de press conference for being an inconsistent moment of brilliance player. One game he get a 20 min first half cobo. And look at the player he became at the end of it (he himself admitted).

Carvalho played the fool and got a very public simmer down. Drogba got put in his place too. Robben too. Kezman well we know what happen to he.

No player coulda show the petulance that we seeing in the last several games under the Mourinho regime and not be dealt with accordinghly. Ballack venting off on the field at getting subbed. So too Makalele. Players in the press publicly speaking out.. All is not well behind closed doors.

Anyway..all I saying is Grant did something right that Mourinho didn't do. For a guy who gets no respect, he has shown amazing composure, resilience and steered the ship to touching distance of some great achievements. What you fail to realize is that if a team like Chelsea played with no coaching staff, they'd be worse than Derby. the 11 greatest players in the world and no coach ain't gonna be any good as a team as any average tactician could pick them apart form the sidelines. And Grant dealing with massive egos most of whom apparently don't rate him according to you. if anything..that makes his achievement's even greater

Credit to Steve Clarke, Henk Ten Cate, the groundsman who beat up Evra and the god that Avram Grant is praying to.   ;)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 01, 2008, 11:08:44 AM »
Omar. We could go back and forth. Lewwe agree to disagree  :beermug: :beermug:

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 01, 2008, 11:46:37 AM »

I'm not sure there are many who argue that Grant is as good or a better coach than Mourinho. In fact, the ones more guilty of comparing Grant to Mourinho are the ones who think that Mourinho's ability is in a different class to Grant's. To me the whole mentioning that Grant has done something that Mourinho hadn't is more of a "for f*ck sake recognize his achievements nah, and stop holding him in Mourinho's shadow...plus Mourinho never took us to a CL final so get over it and stop riding his jock so much" . Mourinho's time at Chelsea, though short-lived will always have its due shine (and probably more than it's really due)

I think alotta people wanted Grant to fail, so that they could bring in a big name manager....Supporters of a big team don't want a no name manager, and now that it seems that there's a chance that he'd succeed beyond expectations, people are begrudging him down to the very last....

Grant seems to love the club, and he's done a good job- regardless of who was there before.... It's his first season at a big club, so he has a lot to learn, but the biggest Grant skeptics, are either hung up on Mourinho, or are judging Grant based on non-footballing criteria. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 01, 2008, 12:12:01 PM »
I would like to say thank you to the African players for being built so strong as to play in such heavy conditions consistently. :applause:

Thank you to Makalele who wave his magic wand and made the "best" midfielder in the world disappear. :applause:

Thank you to Drogba for showing the critics that he is the boss and he can get it done. :applause:

Thank you to Reina for getting beat twice on the first post, well done. :applause:

Thank you to Lampard for plaing through such a tough time we appreciate that. :applause: :applause:

Thank you to The Special one for instilling such discipline and workmanship in th eplayers. :applause:

Thank you to Grant for seeing the team through. :applause:

Most of all I would like to say a special thank you to Mr. Rafael Benitez for making the most craziest decisions at the most crucial time. We greatly appreciate this effort and it helpped us along the way. Please know that when we are celebrating in Moscow we will think of you. Againg thank you Rafa. :applause:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 01, 2008, 12:52:07 PM »
how come Drogba does kick de ball so hard jed?(rhetorical question)

if i was ah young, up and coming EPL striker i would do all i could to copy/emulate the positive aspects of Drogba's(together wid other strikers i.e) game, I know it would only me a more complete player.

Drogba first goal though...jeezanges!!! even in slo-mo replay de ball rocket past de poor keeper.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 01, 2008, 01:02:38 PM »
how come Drogba does kick de ball so hard jed?(rhetorical question)

if i was ah young, up and coming EPL striker i would do all i could to copy/emulate the positive aspects of Drogba's(together wid other strikers i.e) game, I know it would only me a more complete player.

Drogba first goal though...jeezanges!!! even in slo-mo replay de ball rocket past de poor keeper.

as we would say back home... 'dem was two correck bullet!!'

the second one graze reina shin on de way in, i think he see the ball when it bounce out de net going de next way.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 01, 2008, 01:44:08 PM »
Kicker....it have a setta smart-man on de forum here.  ;)

Jose did something for Chelsea fans that hadn't been done in so long and they was happy.

The haters was grumbling: "...he take Ranieri team and win a championship"  

"Ranieri, Ranieri" was the cry

"...he have dem playin' boring football..."  "Boring boring Chelsea.....blah, blah blah"

De man win uefa cup and a CL wit Porto:   "Porto eh beat nobody....."
"....they shouldn'ta beat manu.....blah, blah, blah"

men even implying that as successful as Porto have been in Portugal, he should have actually done better.  Yet, when I use the same argument to question why saf hasn't won more trophies in europe,  I is a hater.

Chelsea play the same "boring" football this season as they always have (moreso according to their critics) facing the same scenario come end of this season as they did the end of last:  inferior goal difference to manu.  Why is that?

Chelsea fans were willing to stick with jose for more than three seasons to try and win a CL title.  Abramovich wasn't, and the haters start piling on.  Imagine if manu wasn't willing to wait three seasons or more for "sir alex" to win a CL......he woulda be gone long time.

I have questioned Jose's tactical abilities before, even on the forum: men jump on meh case

but when ah give the man HIS due for makin' me happy for what Chelsea has done SO FAR under his leadership: "Ah worshippin' 'im blindly"

Yuh eh see allyuh men is a setta smart-man in trute?

Why ALLYUH  doh just admit dat is allyuh hatin' on de man yuhself?  
Allyuh always movin' de goalpost to score yuh goal.

As a football fan, I take liberty to enjoy any of my teams' successes while being honest about whatever flaws my team(s) may have.  Yuh do dat, men criticizin' yuh to say ah "cyah be satisfied"  But if ah don't do dat, man tellin' meh meh team(s) have shortcomings and is shit side, boring, etc., etc.

man hadda be a politician in dez times, boy.  ::)

« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 01:46:03 PM by Mango Chow! »

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #141 on: May 06, 2008, 09:09:59 PM »
ok ah back from meh period of mourning  ;D

anyway Congrats Chelsea..ah can't say allyuh deserve to win that game though  :devil:

Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 07, 2008, 04:55:39 AM »
anyway Congrats Chelsea..ah can't say allyuh deserve to win that game though  :devil:

Wha game u was watchin bro?  ???
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 07, 2008, 05:36:15 AM »

Wha game u was watchin bro?  ???

The one @ anfield!

(btw, thanx fuh dat beautiful gift form john arne riise!) :devil:

1]; } ?>