March 28, 2024, 03:57:44 AM

Author Topic: Samuel signs with St. Johnstone.  (Read 4636 times)

Offline marcpurcell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Samuel signs with St. Johnstone.
« on: May 06, 2008, 07:24:18 AM »
Saints secure striker Samuel.
St Johnstone FC.

Saints have this morning moved to sign former Falkirk and Dundee United striker Collin Samuel. The 26 year old Trinidad and Tobago internationalist, who has been playing his football in with Major League Soccer side Toronto, has signed a two year deal.

Manager Derek McInnes is delighted to have added Samuel to his current options up front and told the Saints Official Website, “Colin has been enjoying his time in Toronto but his wife and family have been back here in Scotland and that has not been ideal and he has been keen to return to them. When I found that out, I spoke with Mo Johnston who is the Director of Soccer at Toronto and moved quickly to bring him to Saints.”

Prior to the start of the current MLS season Samuel enjoyed training facilities at McDiarmid Park during the winter thanks to his former Tannadice team mate McInnes and the Saints gaffer says, “I had six weeks to look at Colin and I think he is a more complete player than he was earlier in his career. I was keen to keep him here but he was contracted to the MLS and had to go back but he has since indicated to them that he wanted to come back to Scotland to be with his family.

“He knows me, he knows Tony Docherty, he knows a lot of the players from his time training here and he knows the First Division – I think that will make him a great acquisition and he is still at the age where he can kick on and play at the level I think he can reach.”

Inevitably comparisons will be made with Jason Scotland, another Trinidad and Tobago striker who also played at Tannadice but Derek is anxious for that not to be the case.

“They are different types of players” says McInnes.  “Sammy has pace and works hard and although nobody could argue with Jason’s scoring rate, he didn’t necessarily have the same attributes.”

The Manager revealed that he is still seeking another striker – one with more of a physical presence than his existing options – and he is working hard to bring a goalkeeper and left-back to the club. Jody Morris is also a target but it will be later in the week before there will be any move with that one.

Del continued, “I had a squad of 24 last season and I am looking to bring that down to 18 or 19 – but 18 or 19 guys who expect to be playing each week.  I want real competition for places.”

Samuel joins up at St Johnstone
BBC Sport

St Johnstone have signed former Dundee United striker Collin Samuel on a two-year contract. The 26-year-old Trinidad and Tobago international arrives from Toronto FC in Major League Soccer, where he played for only one season. Samuel joined Falkirk in 2001 before moving to Tannadice after two years, scoring 14 goals in 66 games. He has also represented his country 17 times, and played at the World Cup in Germany in 2006.
Sam’s not last on Saints’ list.
By: Gordon Bannerman (Perthshire Advertiser).

Derek McInnes this week tied-up Trinidad and Tobago striker Collin Samuel and immediately announced he wants to line-up a magnificent seven frontline.

The arrival of the 26-year-old ex-Dundee United and Falkirk attacker from North American side Toronto – subject to securing a work permit – will have Andy Jackson, Steven Milne, Peter MacDonald, David Weatherston and Gavin Swankie on their mettle next term.

But they can brace themselves for the arrival of another target man to make the battle for first-team places even tougher.

McInnes had been tracking World Cup star Samuel for months, after failing to persuade Toronto chief Maurice Johnston to release his one-time Tannadice colleague while Samuel was training at McDiarmid during the MLS close season. But when he got word that Toronto were prepared to give the green light to the striker to return to his adopted homeland, McInnes set the wheels in motion, knowing American sides were keen to land the Caribbean star.

But no sooner was the ink dry on a contract than McInnes was confessing another striker, a left-back and a keeper were on the wish list.

Caley Thistle’s experienced ex-Ross County and Dundee forward Graham Bayne (28) was being strongly linked with Saints yesterday, and is understood to be one of several candidates being lined-up.

Referring to Samuel and the obvious parallels to be drawn with another Trinidad and ex-United player, Jason Scotland, McInnes noted fans were getting a different type of footballer. He said: “I’m excited about Sammy’s arrival.

“He has pace to burn and he tore through the First Division at Falkirk before earning his move to Tannadice. I was determined to make this happen when we heard we had a chance.

“Unlike most signings from abroad he won’t take time to bed-in. We tried to get him before and Sammy wanted back to Scotland. But he was under contract.

“Even this time there was interest from several US clubs. But we got in quickly.

“He feels this is the right move for him. Toronto didn’t want to lose him seven games into their season.

“It’s unfair to compare Sammy to Jason directly but Collin can play wide or through the middle. He is more versatile, he works hard and can also score goals.

“I feel he can kick on again and get back to the level he should be at. At the time he was at United it didn’t really happen for a few players.

“We have four strikers and I still want a target man type up top. You can never have enough options in that area.”

McInnes leaves on holiday tonight and while his squad will be trimmed from 24, he wants quality throughout pressing for starting slots.

“The chairman, Geoff Brown, has backed me from the start when we see players who will benefit the club.

“We will have more flexibility next season and we are still working on players for a couple of positions.”

Samuel wants to play SPL football with Saints but his first challenge is an international clash with England in the Caribbean next month.

After signing, he said: “I wanted to come back to Scotland. I know most of the players from my time training here and know the manager and Tony Docherty from Dundee United. We had a good understanding. It will be easy to settle in.

“I enjoyed the experience in Toronto even if the weather could be extreme. Scotland can be warmer! But I enjoyed the football more here.”
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 12:56:19 PM by Flex »
Born in Montreal
Living in Toronto
But still a Barataria boy at heart

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel signs with St. Johnstone.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 08:27:25 AM »
Solid. At 26 do wha yuh hadda do brodda ...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 08:59:50 AM »
Makes sense now.

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 10:30:13 AM »
Makes sense now.

ditto, do yuh thing sammy  :beermug:

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 10:35:45 AM »
Always a good thing. 

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 01:33:24 PM »
hope you enjoyed your Toronto holiday...now back to buisness...all the best Sammy
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 02:15:02 PM »
Cool Runnings ;D
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 02:24:33 PM »
“They are different types of players” says McInnes.  “Sammy has pace and works hardand although nobody could argue with Jason’s scoring rate, he didn’t necessarily have the same attributes.”
Guess he find Scotty was lazy too. I hope that Sammy find a way to go back to his old self, lose the pot belly now that he wife could give him some decent food over the summer and tear up the place next season. This fella is one experienced youth by our usual standards. We need him on board.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 02:35:17 PM »
de man wanted to go home and wear he kilt and fondle he wife when de evenin come....who go vex fuh dat?

Best of luck samuel  :beermug:

Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 02:42:50 PM »
Good to hear, all the best Sammy  :beermug:

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 02:45:27 PM »
Great news neva agree wit dat Toronto move
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 03:28:14 PM »
de man wanted to go home and wear he kilt and fondle he wife when de evenin come....who go vex fuh dat?

TMI

Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 03:42:30 PM »
Well I happy for you Samuel. You were in the gravel road for a bit but now back on the paved path. Good luck!!

Kingman

« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 09:38:22 PM by kingman »

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2008, 03:51:44 PM »
Good for you Samuel. Best of Luck. the MLS is pu$$y, even american nationals will agree with me

Offline trini supporter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 04:55:25 PM »
Wonderful news :beermug:

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2008, 07:21:43 PM »
Go do yuh ting Samuel  :beermug:

Offline Padams

• Sr. Warrior
  • Great are the Warriors///We shall Prevail!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 07:27:40 PM »
Yeah Sammy, congrats man, do yuh ting...... :beermug: :beermug:
Iz not Pre-Marital Sex, if yuh have no intention 2 geh Married..........

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2008, 06:50:13 AM »
That explains why he did so poorly for Toronto.... he missed him family in Scotland...
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

1]; } ?>