March 28, 2024, 03:14:52 PM

Author Topic: Maturana: Players must earn their picks.  (Read 6320 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Maturana: Players must earn their picks.
« on: May 09, 2008, 06:02:33 PM »
Maturana: Players must earn their picks.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Trinidad and Tobago Head coach Francisco Maturana is assured of the services of at least six United Kingdom-based players for the upcoming friendly international against England. And he says they’ve all earned their picks on merit and present day status.

That was the opinion coming from the Colombian-born coach as he spoke of his recent meeting with the six UK-based pros – Sunderland’s Kenwyne Jones and Carlos Edwards, Southampton’s Stern John, Walsall’s Clayton Ince and Swansea City duo Jason Scotland and Dennis Lawrence. Next week Maturana is expected to finalize his squad for the June 1 encounter which could also include a limited number of other overseas-based pros.

Speaking on Friday following a training session at the Marvin Lee Stadium ahead of Sunday’s friendly against Barbados, Maturana made his feelings clear.

“Everybody wants to play against England but everybody cannot play one match, only eleven players can be on the pitch at one time and we will select the players we see best fit. There are no favours and we don’t pick on reputation or history. What you did last year or the year before doesn’t tell what you will do today. But if a player is playing consistently and we feel this way about the player in recent time then for sure he will have a better chance that the other player,” Maturana told TTFF Media.

“Our meetings in England were good and it was refreshing for all of us. The players talked about their ambitions to do well for the country and to try and qualify for the next World Cup. That is a big part of the job right there… now we have to work together and finish the job on the playing field. We need the players who are committed to play with their hearts and I saw this in our meetings,” he added.

On the issue of having a player like Khaleem Hyland in the team even though he is unattached at the moment, Maturana’s response was that he was satisfied with his current level of play and the player was in the midst of training with Portsmouth as well as in private training with the national team trainers even while the team was not in day to day training.

“No player is being overlooked but I go with what I know for sure of the players at the time,” added Maturana. “I want to build something strong and if my ingredients don’t work then we keep on trying to get the team to where we want it.”

Team manager David Muhammad gave further details on the meetings. “Coach Francisco Matura was direct and specific in regards to what he expected from the players, and the national team members in turn expressed their total support and commitment to Trinidad & Tobago. Assistant Coach Anton Corneal clearly articulated a vision for the sport in our country and highlighted exactly how instrumental each of the players could be in this mission,” Muhammad said.

Muhammad himself pointed out the importance of the logistical operations that provide a support system for the team as a whole, and how players can assist in these matters.

”Each of the foreign based players contributed positively to the discussions in a way that was very encouraging to the management and coaching staff. Suggestions were offered that were in the best interest of all. In general, the discussions were open, frank, honest, worthwhile and very valuable. The final objective agreed to by all was to move forward and collectively represent Trinidad & Tobago in the best manner, and qualify for the World Cup 2010. My general view is that the meeting helped bring the TTFF even closer to the players,” the manager added.

Meantime, the current squad had a 90-minute session at the Marvin Lee Stadium on Friday and will train there again from 6pm on Saturday. US-based defender Ancil Farrier, already called up earlier this year, has been added to the team and was scheduled to arrive on Friday night. W Connection midfielder Aurtis Whitley will sit out Sunday’s encounter due to a niggling foot injury while Lester Peltier could also miss the encounter due to club commitments with Clico San Juan  Jabloteh in Puerto Rico.

The Jabloteh team is scheduled back here on Saturday night but Maturana is insisting that the player has at least one session with the national team before the game. Jabloteh midfielder Atuallah Guerra did not travel with his club and was in training at the Marvin Lee on Friday. Kick off time on Sunday is 6pm with WASA FC and Malabar FC meeting in a earlier fixture from 3pm.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 07:40:57 PM by Flex »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: MATURANA: Players must earn their picks
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 06:33:54 PM »
MATURANA: PLAYERS MUST EARN THEIR PICKS
“Everybody wants to play against England but everybody cannot play one match, only eleven players can be on the pitch at one time and we will select the players we see best fit. There are no favours and we don’t pick on reputation or history. What you did last year or the year before doesn’t tell what you will do today. But if a player is playing consistently and we feel this way about the player in recent time then for sure he will have a better chance that the other player,” Maturana told TTFF Media.

On the issue of having a player like Khaleem Hyland in the team even though he is unattached at the moment, Maturana’s response was that he was satisfied with his current level of play and the player was in the midst of training with Portsmouth as well as in private training with the national team trainers even while the team was not in day to day training.
   :applause:  :applause: Well said
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 06:47:53 PM by Tallman »

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 06:56:29 PM »
That is some :bs: other players consistently training too, so how is Hyland training different from the others. :bs:  At least Birchall playing some reserved games.

What you did last year or yesterday will not tell you what will happen today, but it will serve as a good indicator to performance. That's why there are world rankings.

That is not Maturana, that's the stooge shaun reading men posthere and manufacturing an interview. Why does Maturana specufically single out Highland? Is becuase men making noise in other posts. Try againg that eh go wuk.

Them really have to feel men is dunce.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 07:00:04 PM by Tallman »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 07:01:33 PM »
What you did last year doh matter, but he dust cobweb off Whitley after watching some tapes? Steups.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 07:18:51 PM »
What you did last year doh matter, but he dust cobweb off Whitley after watching some tapes? Steups.

total facking agreeance with you and Elan. They think we stupid.  Dust off Autis and fielding unattached Hyland but cya bleed We boy Me MuM who is in a better quality league and im certain still has to train even though he ridin pine.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 07:25:38 PM »
Is this in response to the Birchall article?? or did this come first?

The coincidence and timing of the two real kinda suspect
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 07:29:18 PM »

i was thinking the same thing
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 07:32:40 PM »

nah dutty... yuh right... this I believe come after. Sometimes de forum does forget how much disclosure power it really have. I suspect they go also read dat we not buying into de frivolous reasoniing about players earning their pick because as dry so say, dey dust off Autis and bring him back and Hyland is unattached. 
I love de local talent but if yuh bleeding players yuh cya tell we why Birchall not gettin a call up.
And when Birchall check out de forum he go see dat we behind him 100%

We got yuh back Me MuM....
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline TriniItalian

• Sr. Warrior
  • Never Wait to Procrastinate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 07:33:31 PM »
We Want Me Mum
A.W.A.T.T. INFORMANT

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 07:36:06 PM »

nah dutty... yuh right... this I believe come after. Sometimes de forum does forget how much disclosure power it really have. I suspect they go also read dat we not buying into de frivolous reasoniing about players earning their pick because as dry so say, dey dust off Autis and bring him back and Hyland is unattached. 
I love de local talent but if yuh bleeding players yuh cya tell we why Birchall not gettin a call up.

yuh think he does pass here, i wonder if he ever post? lol i meet him once for a autograph lol, cool fellah  :beermug:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 07:39:36 PM by Die.Hard.Warrior »
Youtube Channel

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 07:41:57 PM »

yuh think he does pass here, i wonder if he ever post? lol i meet him once for a autograph lol, cool fellah  :beermug:

All dem fellahs does peep in here now an den

If ah remember correct latas and all was answerin somebody question during the world cup ...but he post under the name 'richie core' or someting so
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 07:42:42 PM »

yuh think he does pass here, i wonder if he ever post? lol

boy Die Hard, I think they all do. Fuentes is probably de deliverer for de ttff because dem fellas have he for dat kinda stuff but i am certain dat de players stop in.  Player sentiment.  everyone likes to know how they are percieved by their fans.

We are the dam Fan site here and I think that we forget dat sometimes. There is no other. Dont Manu care about De Manu fan club site?  I think they do....
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 07:44:09 PM »

All dem fellahs does peep in here now an den

If ah remember correct latas and all was answerin somebody question during the world cup ...but he post under the name 'richie core' or someting so

decent, well ah hope Bichall see he have support here.

Come and make a little post for we nah Birchie ;D
Youtube Channel

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 07:48:15 PM »
MATURANA: PLAYERS MUST EARN THEIR PICKS

:applause:  :applause: Well said

he dod recall whitley right?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Maturana: Players must earn their picks.
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 07:51:57 PM »
Assistant Coach Anton Corneal clearly articulated a vision for the sport in our country and highlighted exactly how instrumental each of the players could be in this mission,” Muhammad said.

who running it!!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 07:56:39 PM by Tallman »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2008, 09:17:43 PM »
Thanks 4 clearing that up I taught it was a friend ting
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2008, 09:20:57 PM »
weary1969 we know  Anton Corneal  running the show

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2008, 09:25:32 PM »
Hyland trained with Pompey like what? in March not so?   He getting private training for the past 2 months at home...

but yet...Warrior Birchall..Playing reserve football for Coventry and training every week...but yet couldn't earn a call up?? 

I dont need Avery Birchall and Sancho to start the f**king england game yuh know...I just need them back... all 3 fit..all 3 playing...

they could come back and train with the squad...they could feature against Jamaica....Bring dem back!

"Bring our Warriors Home"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2008, 09:31:42 PM »
Anton is d man we love it so
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline kiffysmooth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2008, 09:32:58 PM »
Theobald better play

Offline Padams

• Sr. Warrior
  • Great are the Warriors///We shall Prevail!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2008, 10:22:36 PM »
Jus to clarify, incase the players does really pass through d site, we eh doggin Hyland or Whitley OR ANY OTHER LOCAL PLAYERS, they deserve their chance to represent and they have proven they are capable thus far...

but bring back ME MUM TOO
Iz not Pre-Marital Sex, if yuh have no intention 2 geh Married..........

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2008, 10:27:11 PM »
BRING BACK BIRCHALL[/b][/size][/color]
Youtube Channel

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2008, 05:03:12 AM »
Theobald better play

steups...

We talking about serious footballers here.... ::)
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2008, 06:49:20 AM »
T&T footballers training before Barbados match

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lX5lICJgsvA

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2008, 08:48:31 AM »
Theobald better play

steups...

brownie, yuh eh easy...but ah hear yuh!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline kiffysmooth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2008, 09:51:01 AM »
Theobald better play

steups...

You does only talk bout who yuh have crush on :rotfl: :rotfl:  Doh take it personal

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2008, 02:10:12 PM »
Theobald better play

steups...

You does only talk bout who yuh have crush on :rotfl: :rotfl:  Doh take it personal

Oh please, I have much better taste....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline banton

• Hero Warrior
  • football in meh veins football in meh blood
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeWOxnWoXKI
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2008, 05:42:03 PM »
i saw hyland and silvo spann the the game last night
football in meh veins football in meh blood

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2008, 07:46:24 PM »
Spann will b watchin many more games after he Ash Wed performance

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2008, 09:43:26 PM »
They need to prove that Birchall is no good by his play.  He proved on the field that he is god enough.  He is now two years older at 24 and more than likely os better than he was two years ago.  How could they say he is not good enough if they never give hoim a trial  That is vbery unfair.  I say, play 'Me Mum' now.  Give him a trial thn say he aint good enough, not before.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

1]; } ?>