April 18, 2024, 11:36:48 PM

Author Topic: Chelsea's Grant says title should be decided in playoff  (Read 2494 times)

Offline Padams

• Sr. Warrior
  • Great are the Warriors///We shall Prevail!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
Chelsea's Grant says title should be decided in playoff
« on: May 09, 2008, 11:12:15 PM »
By Chris Hatherall, LONDON (Reuters)

The Premier League should be decided in a playoff in future if teams finish level on points at the top, Chelsea manager Avram Grant said on Friday.

Chelsea go into the final weekend of the season level on 84 points with leaders Manchester United but they will lose the title race on goal difference if both clubs record a similar result on Sunday. United's tally is 17 goals better.

Grant, whose team face Bolton Wanderers while United visit Wigan Athletic, said: "I prefer the system in Italy. If you have the same points you play a playoff and it is decided on that.

"Of course, I have interest now to say that, but I like it anyway. Sometimes, you score more goals against the weakest teams. If you have the same points, you are at the same level so you need to play to see who is the better," he told reporters.

However, Grant, who has promised to share a bottle of Israeli wine with United manager Alex Ferguson before the two title contenders meet in the Champions League final in Moscow on May 21, is refusing to look back on missed opportunities.

"Of course, after any game you look back and say 'I could have done this better'. But I think in the season not everything can be perfect, not for us and not for United. We came to the same points and now we wait for Sunday."

Iz not Pre-Marital Sex, if yuh have no intention 2 geh Married..........

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Chelsea's Grant says title should be decided in playoff
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 11:18:56 PM »
look how this coach bitching nah, first is the ref fault now he want playoff dumb f*&k   :devil:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Padams

• Sr. Warrior
  • Great are the Warriors///We shall Prevail!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 11:29:45 PM »
Ah wonder if he he wuda say dat if the tables were turned.... dam jack ass
Iz not Pre-Marital Sex, if yuh have no intention 2 geh Married..........

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 02:56:21 AM »
Ah wonder if he he wuda say dat if the tables were turned.... dam jack ass

:D :D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 05:21:22 AM »
Yuh know......one can always reflect on a season past and say you could have won this game here, or done better with that game there, etc., etc. But with but a few games left in the season, abramogrant was in a great position to bring the character of his leadership to the fore and rally his players into position to seize the season. We choked against Spurs; we gagged against Wigan. So much for his leadership.
  manUre, love them or(Her-culeez! Her-culeez) hate them, will have met the requirements to be crowned champions if they win tomorrow and that has to be acknowledged.  Otherwise......I ain't surprised at the insanity, stupidity and boldness of his comments. I've been around dem people in Crown Heights long enough.       

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 08:21:50 AM »
Yuh know......one can always reflect on a season past and say you could have won this game here, or done better with that game there, etc., etc. But with but a few games left in the season, abramogrant was in a great position to bring the character of his leadership to the fore and rally his players into position to seize the season. We choked against Spurs; we gagged against Wigan. So much for his leadership.
  manUre, love them or(Her-culeez! Her-culeez) hate them, will have met the requirements to be crowned champions if they win tomorrow and that has to be acknowledged.  Otherwise......I ain't surprised at the insanity, stupidity and boldness of his comments. I've been around dem people in Crown Heights long enough.       

you too harsh. last time i checked..it is the players who are on the field who have to do hte business. Grant choked? Blaming Grant for Chelsea not taking some points here or there is ridiculous, lest you forget it is a tough league. you also seem to forget that all teams..even the big ones drop points. didn't Chelsea make up ground on United anyway. That means in that same period that you blame Grant for dropping points, Fergie and co. dropped even more points. Is fergie a choker then. does that show he lacks leadership, especially since in a massive head to head, Grant made the better team choices and tactical decisions and Chelsea won the game. Yet you praising ManU and hating on Grant. League eh even done yet..ManU could lose or tie at Wigan.

And how are his statemenst insane. He is not ranting or raving..it's a level headed comment and the system is used in Serie A. Over the space of 38 games, to decide the title on goal difference is something I guarantee you that many managers would have a problem with. And you could bet your bottom dollar if it were reversed, Fergie would say the same thing. None of these managers are beyond looking out for their own interest, but he is not making rules up out of the thin air, he is citing a legit system used by one of the best leagues in the world. The use of the term insanity and stupidity should be reserved for if he was just making up a system that suited Chelsea. And what's more, he is probably the most sensible of the big four managers..cuz even when he asks for something he knows he will not get, he has the common sense and honesty to admit that he is looking out for his teams interest..unlike the rest who like to whine like the world is against them and they getting persecuted

"Of course, I have interest now to say that, but I like it anyway.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 10:01:48 AM »
COuldn't agree more Filho.

I am not a Grant fan but Chelsea are unbeaten in 19 games including wins over United and Arsenal. To suggest that two of draws are signs of choking and to ignore all the other games where they eked out and preserved wins does not make any sense.

People don't seem to recognize how rare it is to be unbeaten for so long or how difficult it is to do.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 10:14:03 AM »
Go Chelsea !!!!!!!!!!!
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 11:26:15 AM »
he talking rubbish, thats ah given but what if bpl was like la liga chelsea would have won on a better head to head result
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 12:59:32 PM »

you too harsh. last time i checked..it is the players who are on the field who have to do hte business. Grant choked? Blaming Grant for Chelsea not taking some points here or there is ridiculous, lest you forget it is a tough league. you also seem to forget that all teams..even the big ones drop points. didn't Chelsea make up ground on United anyway. That means in that same period that you blame Grant for dropping points, Fergie and co. dropped even more points. Is fergie a choker then. does that show he lacks leadership, especially since in a massive head to head, Grant made the better team choices and tactical decisions and Chelsea won the game. Yet you praising ManU and hating on Grant. League eh even done yet..ManU could lose or tie at Wigan.

And how are his statemenst insane. He is not ranting or raving..it's a level headed comment and the system is used in Serie A. Over the space of 38 games, to decide the title on goal difference is something I guarantee you that many managers would have a problem with. And you could bet your bottom dollar if it were reversed, Fergie would say the same thing. None of these managers are beyond looking out for their own interest, but he is not making rules up out of the thin air, he is citing a legit system used by one of the best leagues in the world. The use of the term insanity and stupidity should be reserved for if he was just making up a system that suited Chelsea. And what's more, he is probably the most sensible of the big four managers..cuz even when he asks for something he knows he will not get, he has the common sense and honesty to admit that he is looking out for his teams interest..unlike the rest who like to whine like the world is against them and they getting persecuted

"Of course, I have interest now to say that, but I like it anyway.

Of course, manu could lose tomorrow. That is why I said "....if manUre win tomorrow...blah, blah, blah...."
But if they do lose, and Chelsea wins, then that would have made his comments premature, in addition to "insane, stupid and bold" but we all know that his statements are more meant to cause a stir in the media at a very crucial point in the season than anything else.

The criticism of Chelsea (especially) over the past few seasons has been that they play "negative football". Boring, boring Chelsea, not so? Who had them playing so, not the coach? Abramogrant has them playing the same style, using the same formations and approaching games with the same overall defensive-minded philosohy that Mourinho was getting criticized for doing............contrary to grant's declaration after defeating Rosenborg 4-0 that they were "....now playing the style of football everbody wants to see them play...."    It is that same style ofplay that had them in the same position end of last season as they are now: behind manu on goal difference.
I take it you saw the game against Wigan, where that same philosophy and style of play cost them two points, just like it cost them points at the same juncture last year. The coach have to accept some of the blame for that. If you go out and play attacking football, like manu does, you're going to create more scoring opportunities and subsequently score more goals, whether players execute perfectly or not. When manu had lockup shop at Barca two weeks ago, yuh tink is Rio and cronaldo and dem who decide to do that or is fergie who tell dem to do it?
If you go out and play score-one-goal-and-defend like Chelsea does, then you're going to have inferior goal difference (and draw 1-1 against the Wigans of the world) come season's end.

Who cares how the Italians decide to decide their league? If the FA want to change their format then they will take the necessary steps to bring about whatever changes they want/have to and they'll do it in the off season. The fact that he threw out his advisory of "..looking out for his team..." is only takin' in front before in front take him and he's being redundant. It is understood that he's ALWAYS looking out for his team first but it don't make his comments any less ridiculous, no matter the context or the situation. It still is griping. When he decided to get involved with the epl, he accepted their rules and their format as-is. If he likes how they do things in Italy, then.......

As I said on that other thread, Filho, if Jose woulda said the same things last season when Chelsea were in similar position, all the Jose haters woulda be vilifying him en masse, for that and any other outrageous comment he has made since primary school. And you know that, too.         

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 08:05:22 PM »

As I said on that other thread, Filho, if Jose woulda said the same things last season when Chelsea were in similar position, all the Jose haters woulda be vilifying him en masse, for that and any other outrageous comment he has made since primary school. And you know that, too.         

I realize that your rant is all about this last sentence. Who cares what people would have said about Mourinho? That is the basis if your opinion? If Jose can't say it, noone else can. Come nah man. First of all, I doh really see what so big in what Grant said. so nope, i would not have thought anything of it if Jose said that. I also am not aware of any massive group of Jose haters. I found Jose could be extremely whiney, and went overboard with many of his comments, but he was also intelligent, amusing and had a mind of his own. In any case, qualifying grants statements as insane and ridiculous suggest you take this football thing way too seriously. Is not like the man start a hunger strike in front the FA office. and it is not like the FA should be seen as some standard bearer. There are things done abroad that the FA should adopt and vice versa. Now this may not be one of them, but if you wait for the FA to make changes when it suits them, as you suggest.....well....that is how you get yourself something called the TTFF

Anyway..back on point. I spoke only to your original comments. So all this talk about Chelsea style of play and Jose haters htis and htat..I doh really know wher that come from. You said Grant choked when Chelsea dropped points against Spurs and Wigan. U can't be serious. Spurs can get a result against anyone on their day, plus the game against Chelsea is a big derby day for them. Form rule does not apply to derbies. As for Wigan, they've taken points off Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea since the turn of the year..and the Liverpool tie was at Anfield. So 3 of the big 4 have failed to beat them. So maybe it is better to see if ManU can beat them first before you qualify it as a choke. More importantly, players must take at least some of the blame. Even more importantly, how did Chelsea, or Grant choke when they made up points on ManU during this period. By your logic..Sir Alex choking even more. In which case..Grant in good company

Offline jr sams

• Hero Warrior
  • Every time....all de time....true to form
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 09:14:44 PM »
but what if bpl was like la liga chelsea would have won on a better head to head result
how do you figure that?...Chelsea lost to Man U 2-0 at old Trafford, then beat Man U 2-1 at Stamford
well yes

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 09:19:28 PM »
Mango Chow...you trying to kill a mosquito with a bazooka there.

The statement is innocuous enough and doh really merit all of that. Obviously, even if Grant was seriously campaigning for a playoff (which he isn't) he wouldn't expect it to be implemented before next year, because unlike Jack, professional football administrators doh move the goalposts in the middle of the game.

I find the main merit to the statement is that it allow people to find out that 2 different leagues with the same prestige level and (3 if you believe freakazoid), have different ways of separating their top two teams if equal on points at the end of the season.

That in of itself is quite a revelation...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 08:37:26 AM »

I realize that your rant is all about this last sentence. Who cares what people would have said about Mourinho? That is the basis if your opinion? If Jose can't say it, noone else can. Come nah man. First of all, I doh really see what so big in what Grant said. so nope, i would not have thought anything of it if Jose said that. I also am not aware of any massive group of Jose haters. I found Jose could be extremely whiney, and went overboard with many of his comments, but he was also intelligent, amusing and had a mind of his own. In any case, qualifying grants statements as insane and ridiculous suggest you take this football thing way too seriously. Is not like the man start a hunger strike in front the FA office. and it is not like the FA should be seen as some standard bearer. There are things done abroad that the FA should adopt and vice versa. Now this may not be one of them, but if you wait for the FA to make changes when it suits them, as you suggest.....well....that is how you get yourself something called the TTFF

Anyway..back on point. I spoke only to your original comments. So all this talk about Chelsea style of play and Jose haters htis and htat..I doh really know wher that come from. You said Grant choked when Chelsea dropped points against Spurs and Wigan. U can't be serious. Spurs can get a result against anyone on their day, plus the game against Chelsea is a big derby day for them. Form rule does not apply to derbies. As for Wigan, they've taken points off Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea since the turn of the year..and the Liverpool tie was at Anfield. So 3 of the big 4 have failed to beat them. So maybe it is better to see if ManU can beat them first before you qualify it as a choke. More importantly, players must take at least some of the blame. Even more importantly, how did Chelsea, or Grant choke when they made up points on ManU during this period. By your logic..Sir Alex choking even more. In which case..Grant in good company

Filho, yuh's a bright fella, but yuh feel yuh's a smart-man. Your counterpoints show me that you completely miss the whole gist of my so-called "rant" and you are overapplying academic logic to the game of football.  I have to wonder if you even saw the Chelsea-Wigan game.......but, in any event, ah now wake up, is Mudders' Day, and Wigan and Chelsea have games to win to satisfy their masses. Another time, another place.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 09:01:19 AM »

Filho, yuh's a bright fella, but yuh feel yuh's a smart-man. Your counterpoints show me that you completely miss the whole gist of my so-called "rant" and you are overapplying academic logic to the game of football.  I have to wonder if you even saw the Chelsea-Wigan game.......but, in any event, ah now wake up, is Mudders' Day, and Wigan and Chelsea have games to win to satisfy their masses. Another time, another place.

Serioulsy Chow. I doh see the connection between your first comment and your second. And I simply responding to the first. Doh accuse me of no smart man thing. When I on kix I make it clear, otherwise assume I talking to yuh straight. If we talking bout two different things then hard luck bredda. Enjoy mudder's day and enjoy the final day of the EPL. Whoever take it today deserve it. Fun to watch how things unfold as a neutral. I doh have no nerves, I eh swearing at the TV. I done do that whole season in La Liga  ;D ;D ;D I see Manu in pole position with 45 minutes of the season left. Whey...what a way to end the season. respek   :beermug::beermug:

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 09:16:38 AM »

Serioulsy Chow. I doh see the connection between your first comment and your second. And I simply responding to the first. Doh accuse me of no smart man thing. When I on kix I make it clear, otherwise assume I talking to yuh straight. If we talking bout two different things then hard luck bredda. Enjoy mudder's day and enjoy the final day of the EPL. Whoever take it today deserve it. Fun to watch how things unfold as a neutral. I doh have no nerves, I eh swearing at the TV. I done do that whole season in La Liga  ;D ;D ;D I see Manu in pole position with 45 minutes of the season left. Whey...what a way to end the season. respek   :beermug::beermug:

I hear yuh dred, so we go let it lie but doh worry.....after the "Wigan game" ;D I called it a season. Fergie wasn't going to lose his grip on this title, so, no nerves fuh me today either. :beermug: mutual respek. 

1]; } ?>