April 19, 2024, 03:56:05 AM

Author Topic: Machel tops World Music awards  (Read 2677 times)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Machel tops World Music awards
« on: May 10, 2008, 02:18:17 PM »
Machel tops world music award

Soca superstar Machel Montano dominated the International Reggae and World Music Awards (IRAWMA) in New York last weekend, receiving not only the most wins of the night but also the most coveted awards of the night.

These include the Best Calypso/Soca Entertainer Award, Most Outstanding Stage Personality of the Year and the much-coveted Bob Marley Entertainer of the Year Award.

Held last Sunday at the Apollo Theatre in New York, the International Reggae and World Music Awards (IRAWMA) is a production of Martin's International and Associates LLC in association with American Airlines.

Each year, reggae and world music industry experts select the nominees for these awards and music fans across the globe vote for the winners via ballots, which are made available online and in various newspapers, restaurants and record stores.

"One reason the IRAWMA award is such a coveted trophy is that winners are selected by reggae and world music fans around the world," founder and president of the IRAWMA, Ephraim Martin, said.

Other winners on the night included Taurus Riley, who took home trophies for Best Male Vocalist and Best Song - "She is Royal", Beenie Man, who earned awards for Best Recording Artist and Best Male DJ/Rapper, as well as the Marley brothers Stephen, Kymani and Ziggy, who received awards for Best CD (Stephen for Mind Control) Songwriter of the Year, and Producer's Respect Award (Kymani).

Ziggy Marley received the Marcus Garvey Humanitarian Award for charitable efforts achieved through his URGE organisation.

With a bunch of new awards added to his mantle and resume, Montano continues his upward climb as he films the video for his latest hit, "Defence (The Anthem)" this week with reggaeton star Pitbull and US rapper Lil Jon in Miami and Los Angeles.

Following that, Montano joins Pitbull, Miley Cyrus, Flo-Rida and Snoop Dogg at the KIIS FM concert on May 10 in Los Angeles. All this, even as his new album, Wining Season, becomes available online and in stores.

"I am totally overwhelmed and very grateful to the fans, the voters this weekend, and especially the awards committee," stated an exuberant Montano, after collecting his awards.

"It's motivation to put in the hard work for bigger and better things to come."

Since the end of Trinidad Carnival 2008, Montano has stayed busy, headlining back-to-back shows at the world-famous Madison Square Garden for the second year in a row and performing in the Cayman Islands. He is now readying himself to thrill fans at the upcoming "Best of the Best" show in Miami during Memorial Day weekend.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_news?id=161320558

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Machel tops World Music awards
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 02:19:37 PM »
Hate him or love him, He is rising to the ocassion...Congrats Machel  :beermug:

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 02:31:40 PM »
wheys
I go have to seriously start listening to him :-[ :-[

jk
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 02:37:50 PM »
wheys

jk
lol Oh Gosh WestCoast he may not be your favourite artist but you could still Congratulate de man..In his entire career, there is not one song you like..? (I know some of allyuh old school fellas dont like de man but nothing wrong with bigging up de man)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 02:41:33 PM by Sando prince »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 02:56:59 PM »
wheys

jk
lol Oh Gosh WestCoast he may not be your favourite artist but you could still Congratulate de man..In his entire career, there is not one song you like..? (I know some of allyuh old school fellas dont like de man but nothing wrong with bigging up de man)
well done Machel
  :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
dais is some serious awards

and of course "I too young to SOCA" is not the only choon I listen to ;D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 02:59:29 PM »
wheys

jk
well done Machel
  :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
dais is some serious awards

and of course "I too young to SOCA" is not the only choon I listen to ;D
  ;D  Like yuh finally gettin sober

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 05:20:53 PM »
wheys

jk

nah, doh do dat. I eh think them old ballbearing you have for waist cud keep up with the pace and beat. Get the hearing impaired version of his dvd to be safe.  ;)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 06:18:12 PM »
machel is ah boss. :beermug:
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 08:20:04 AM »
love his music, but the individual needs to control his behavior in public....then again, who is me to judge him when it have more prominent figures heads doing worst dan he.  steupse

congrats to him and wish him and many more success. :beermug:

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 08:04:59 PM »
big up to machel all the way...but when you have awards where ziggy marley winning something...................................but big up machel all the same.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 12:05:26 PM »
The big tune that he did with Pitbull and Lil John..I heard it in the clubs in California before I came back to Trini recently..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2u2Mkfv25nY

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 12:08:18 PM »
The big tune that he did with Pitbull and Lil John..I heard it in the clubs in California before I came back to Trini recently..

buh wuh de ass?...dem men fly to P.O.S and machel eh even get ah cobo sweat/chorus on de mike
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 12:15:12 PM »

buh wuh de ass?...dem men fly to P.O.S and machel eh even get ah cobo sweat/chorus on de mike

Dutty dem perform together in Trinidad..  http://youtube.com/watch?v=mYBPkqO6hlU&feature=related

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 12:22:41 PM »
Ah!!

ok much better, ah did find the first video kinda strange
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 12:05:24 PM »

This is the music video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=amMERAKyPZQ

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 07:02:14 PM »
Machel and Busta Rhymes... My opinion is this is Machel worse song this year..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7YDHXP4b__o

1]; } ?>