March 29, 2024, 09:04:04 AM

Author Topic: So they cancel CXC  (Read 7047 times)

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
So they cancel CXC
« on: May 12, 2008, 12:46:22 PM »
...why this couldn't happen when it was my turn in 95 ;D

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: So they cancel CXC
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 01:16:12 PM »
Eh?
cancel as in done permanently?.....it have a replacement or people just breezin troo school now?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 01:38:42 PM »
nah i think it temporarily cancelled cause people get the master copy for some of the exams

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 01:53:27 PM »
nah i think it temporarily cancelled cause people get the master copy for some of the exams

ah!! ok...makes sense now  :beermug:

oh and what is dat story yuh was tellin we about organic winkin at yuh and tryin to touch yuh leg at the last all fours lime?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 01:59:34 PM »
......and is not CXC O'levels eh is CAPE, de replacement for GCE A'levels and de chirren have to resit de exams.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 02:16:14 PM »
damn glad that shit eh happen wen i was sitting A's nah...altho i eh really take dem on myself as done had my SAT's done and school at that time was more for liming and sweating football
Back in Trini...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 05:16:44 PM »
NY same ting d Minister say in meetin 2day pepps headin 2 d US and dey remaining because dey parents get a lil mature b4 dey head out
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 12:06:21 PM »

ah!! ok...makes sense now  :beermug:

oh and what is dat story yuh was tellin we about organic winkin at yuh and tryin to touch yuh leg at the last all fours lime?

:rotfl: he keep saying that was he signals

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 05:02:57 PM »
form 6 boy hang heself already stueps, they the boy he had stress with d delayed exams
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 05:25:39 PM »
form 6 boy hang heself already stueps, they the boy he had stress with d delayed exams

DieHard....doh make joke nuh. :-\  ya sure dat was dey only reason he kill he self nuh ???

i was stressed out when ah was having meh exams too, but was for dey fact dat it had exams.....steupse

so ah read somewhere that is only in trinidad and tobago dey leak happened...the rest of the caribbean islands had the exams already or having the exams. ministry of education muss be making mas and digging up every man hole it have to find out where dat leak happened and who is dey leaker....

diehard what school dis boy from anyways ???

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 05:44:52 PM »

DieHard....doh make joke nuh. :-\  ya sure dat was dey only reason he kill he self nuh ???

i was stressed out when ah was having meh exams too, but was for dey fact dat it had exams.....steupse

so ah read somewhere that is only in trinidad and tobago dey leak happened...the rest of the caribbean islands had the exams already or having the exams. ministry of education muss be making mas and digging up every man hole it have to find out where dat leak happened and who is dey leaker....

diehard what school dis boy from anyways ???

i think toco composite, the news should be clearer by tommorow or late tonight, because i hear it on tv6 news
Youtube Channel

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 06:54:33 PM »
my take on this whole thing is that it was only a matter of time anyway.. Sure this is not the first time it was leaked.

i almost sure the exams was sitting on somebody pc or network, or transferred via email or some other internet protocol that got compromised. The fact that some of the exams were emailed and not just on hardcopy confirmed it for me.

thats not hard to do, and i doubt CXC has state of the art IT security beyond the rudimentary firewall..

I remember about 10 years ago (back in de days when ah used to be intrigued by hacking), a partner sit me down and show me how he intercepted email communication to pull down some UWI exams that was due the following week.. He had no malice intended, but the thrill was in being able to do it..  Its really not hard for an average level hacker to intrude a network or computer to get to the exams.

That said, I think the minister of education is doing an excellent job in her handling of the crisis from what I'm reading.

Hope it gets back on track sooner rather than later for the sake of the students.. If it had happen to me I woulda be up shit street because whatever i cram in memory does barely make it to the end of the exam.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 10:07:48 PM »
Omar d Ministerr go b happy that u say so. Is a draft paper dat was circulated. D draft does come from Bdos but d leak is only in TNT. Dat just doh make no sense
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 10:25:42 PM »
in news dey say the leak not from t&t well at least dias what i hear
Youtube Channel

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 07:16:21 AM »
CAPE SUICIDE

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_news?id=161323984

Frustrated student hangs himself over new exam

Peter Christopher pchristopher@trinidadexpress.com
Friday, May 16th 2008

Martin Joseph

CONFUSION and sorrow gripped relatives and friends of 19-year-old Martin Joseph, after he was found dead by his mother at his Beggs Trace, Toco, home yesterday morning in an suicide apparently sparked by rescheduled Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examinations (CAPE).

Joseph, an Upper Sixth Form student of Toco Composite Secondary School, was found hanging around 5.30 a.m. at the back of his bedroom door with an electrical cord attached to a support beam entangled around his left arm and neck.

His mother, Janice Joseph, saw the boy standing in his doorway and asked him why he was up so early.

She said she unable to understand the boy's response but did not question him further as she went to bathe. "I know my son doesn't like to be questioned more than once so I left him, then I heard a rumbling on the galvanize to the front and to the back," said the grieving mother at her home.

She called out to her son but got no response. She peered into his room but did not see her son. She asked his siblings if he had left, but no one had seen him leave. She returned to the teenager's room and looked behind the door, where she saw the boy strung up by the cord which ran through his room into a laundry washroom.

Relatives said they had little clue that he wished to take his own life but his mother said he was disappointed about having to re-write the Communication Studies exam after it was discovered the paper was leaked last week. He wrote the examination last Thursday.

"He said, 'Mommy, that was the hardest A-Level I ever had to write, and now I have to write it over. I didn't pay anyone no money, why I have to write this over?'" said Joseph.

In his room, a calendar was marked out with his examination dates. At the end of the month of May he wrote, "LIME BEGIN." Communication Studies Paper II was his last examination.

Relatives were trying to arrange a doctor's visit for the boy as he believed that the second sitting of the exam would be more difficult and complained of being stressed.

The teenager was described as reserved but was heavily into sports and he had seemed to return to "normal" over the week. Joseph played both football and cricket for his school, running out as a winger in their Intercol team last year.

"Up to this weekend gone he was still playing cricket in the village, yesterday he was helping his sister put music on her phone," said Janice Joseph, who added that her son wanted to attend university and become a soldier.

His father, Sunny Joseph, could not believe the death was caused by the examination stress but noticed the boy pacing around the house in the early hours of Thursday morning.

"I don't know how he manage to do it, he had so many things going for him," said Sunny Joseph, who added that upon searching the teenager's room for a suicide note, he found over $1,000. He believed his son was saving to attend his graduation and to pay for his driving test, which was scheduled for June. "When he got his licence, we were going to buy a car for him," he said.

Neighbours were similarly dismayed by the events.

"He was so quiet, I wasn't looking for him to do something like that, he was never that aggressive," said Fredy Davis, the youngster's long-time friend.

In April 2005, 17-year-old UWI St Augustine student Rishi Cumming jumped to his death after being disappointed by examination results.

Clinical psychologist Krishna Maharaj, who early this week said postponement of examinations should not cause any adverse effects to students, said the suicide was an "isolated case".

"He probably worked himself up about it. Some people worry too much about things that are beyond their control," said Maharaj, yesterday.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 08:02:08 AM »
Very, very sad.

Sounds like he was a promising youth.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 08:20:03 AM »
I might be sounding lil unethical but I see no reason to cancel exams

It is not like it have a certain amount of "A"'s and "B"'s to give out.

The fact of the matter is we all want everybody do well. Grade people on a curve and ease the students stress.

To get 5,000 to pay for a copy of exam as a student difficult...is dey parents paying that. If the parent know they chile duncy they would do that. If the parent know the chile bright they wouldnt.

This is akin to lessons, those with money send they children and they succeed. Those who do not just have to work extra hard or be extra bright.

At the end of the day education before the $ for $ and gate programme was for the bright/talented and those with money.

How many papers you think got leaked/sold....if they sold 50, then let that 50 get they higher grade, but dont spite a whole generation of students and have people under pressure. Let it slide, do a internal investigation, do yuh prosecution under low and publish yuh story after.

Also too even if yuh see the paper the night before...it taking a bit of effort to come up with a "A" draft answer, then yuh have to turn around and regurgitate that in the exam in 3 hrs.  I ent saying it cant be done but those who failing will only be able to pass and those who mediocre will only bump they E to about a C grade.

Students who know they work and on top of things will risk not seeing the paper.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 02:14:36 PM »
Touches, yuh on the slippery slope of moral relativism.

I won't go into a rant about the morals and ethics of cheating, but rather ask you some questions.

When you go to the doctor or dentist, would you sit in the chair, if you knew he or she bought the exams the night before? That degree on the wall might not make you feel so secure...

If it cool to cheat on the CAPE, what else is it cool to cheat on? Where you drawing the line?
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 02:23:19 PM »
i didnt get that touches was advocating cheating; I think he was giving his opinion on how to deal with this one-off situation with minimum fall out and without punishing the rest of the student body..

in practical terms he making sense..

the problem though is that in the interest of preserving the integrity of the CAPE exams and the organization, they MUST cancel the exams..

they have to set a precedent.

If they let this one slide, then every year there will be a big question mark on how secure and respectable the CAPE really is.

if they dont kill this monster properly from the head, rest assured 9 more will grow up in its place.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2008, 04:20:52 PM »
i didnt get that touches was advocating cheating; I think he was giving his opinion on how to deal with this one-off situation with minimum fall out and without punishing the rest of the student body..

in practical terms he making sense..

the problem though is that in the interest of preserving the integrity of the CAPE exams and the organization, they MUST cancel the exams..
they have to set a precedent.

If they let this one slide, then every year there will be a big question mark on how secure and respectable the CAPE really is.

if they dont kill this monster properly from the head, rest assured 9 more will grow up in its place.

Well put Omar. However, I regard this comment as defeating the practicality you assign Touches' statement. Expedience and integrity don't go hand in hand. Perhaps that's where the slippery slope mentioned by Bitter enters.

Sad episode regarding that youthman. Real sad.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2008, 04:31:26 PM »
I might be sounding lil unethical but I see no reason to cancel exams

It is not like it have a certain amount of "A"'s and "B"'s to give out.

The fact of the matter is we all want everybody do well. Grade people on a curve and ease the students stress.

To get 5,000 to pay for a copy of exam as a student difficult...is dey parents paying that. If the parent know they chile duncy they would do that. If the parent know the chile bright they wouldnt.

This is akin to lessons, those with money send they children and they succeed. Those who do not just have to work extra hard or be extra bright.

At the end of the day education before the $ for $ and gate programme was for the bright/talented and those with money.

How many papers you think got leaked/sold....if they sold 50, then let that 50 get they higher grade, but dont spite a whole generation of students and have people under pressure. Let it slide, do a internal investigation, do yuh prosecution under low and publish yuh story after.

Also too even if yuh see the paper the night before...it taking a bit of effort to come up with a "A" draft answer, then yuh have to turn around and regurgitate that in the exam in 3 hrs. I ent saying it cant be done but those who failing will only be able to pass and those who mediocre will only bump they E to about a C grade.

Students who know they work and on top of things will risk not seeing the paper.

Some of the most consistent cheats are those who have the ability to excel independent of the cheating. Ah not hypothesizing. I see that on a regular @ the level we talking about. Their insulation from being reported was the very fact that they could actually solve a differential equation if sequestered by the principal to show that it was their work.

Secondly, the relationship with income level and access to the exams is not a straight fit with academic ability and likely performance on the exam. Access and integrity would be the correlatives of who would be interested in gehhin the papers. Motive or incentive cuts both ways regardless of academic ability. And truss meh, some a dem ppl eh paying not a cent fuh no exams buh dey'll get it.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2008, 04:33:57 PM »
my take on this whole thing is that it was only a matter of time anyway.. Sure this is not the first time it was leaked.

i almost sure the exams was sitting on somebody pc or network, or transferred via email or some other internet protocol that got compromised. The fact that some of the exams were emailed and not just on hardcopy confirmed it for me.

thats not hard to do, and i doubt CXC has state of the art IT security beyond the rudimentary firewall..

I remember about 10 years ago (back in de days when ah used to be intrigued by hacking), a partner sit me down and show me how he intercepted email communication to pull down some UWI exams that was due the following week.. He had no malice intended, but the thrill was in being able to do it.. Its really not hard for an average level hacker to intrude a network or computer to get to the exams.

That said, I think the minister of education is doing an excellent job in her handling of the crisis from what I'm reading.

Hope it gets back on track sooner rather than later for the sake of the students.. If it had happen to me I woulda be up shit street because whatever i cram in memory does barely make it to the end of the exam.

Good talk.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2008, 05:01:03 AM »

$2m bail for two
...charged with having CXC test papers before exams

Richard Charan South Bureau
Saturday, May 24th 2008
Trinidad Express

Fraud Squad officers have charged Ministry of Education employee Arianna Lakatoo, 18, and her cousin, Mikel Torres, 20, with having Caribbean Examinations Council (CXC) tests papers before the examinations were held.

They are alleged to have had the O-Level CXC Mathematics and English examination papers.

Lakatoo and Torres were each granted bail of $1 million by a Justice of the Peace to cover the charges. They are on a total of four charges, two charges each. The hefty bail was criticised by their lawyers in court yesterday.

San Fernando Fourth Court Magistrate Alicia Chankar said the bail would have been higher had she been the one to grant it.

Outside the court there was chaos, as relatives of the accused jostled with media cameramen.

A relative of Torres was arrested during the melee. He was later slapped with three assault charges on two newspaper photographers and a television cameraman.

Torres, who lived with his parents at Gulf View, La Romaine, is a private CXC student writing the examination at a college in San Fernando.

Lakatoo is an on-the-job-training (OJT) trainee working at the ministry's Victoria Education District office at Sutton Street, San Fernando.

Torres is accused of procuring prior to the exam, the English A General Proficiency Paper II containing the instructions and questions, sometime between May 14 and May 19. The exam is scheduled to be written on May 28.

He was also charged with getting the CXC Mathematics Paper II some time between May 14 and May 19. That exam was written on Tuesday.

Lakatoo was charged with similar offences-of procuring the English A paper and Mathematics Paper II.

They both pleaded not guilty.

The two were arrested on Thursday and taken to the Fraud Squad in Port of Spain.

They were charged under the CXC Act and face a maximum penalty of a $6,000 fine and one year in jail for those offences.

On Thursday night, Justice of the Peace Ackbar Khan granted the two bail on the conditions they hand over their passports to police, not speak with witnesses and report to the nearest police station once a week between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m.

Attorney Alvin Ramroop said the imposition of bail of $500,000 each, and the conditions attached were extreme and asked for a reduction.

Attorney Dexter Bailey said of the charges: "I know it's not a trivial offence but there are many more serious offences. But $1 million? For people on attempted murder charges and drug offences, bail is not set as high."

Magistrate Chankar answered: "Reading the alleged offences, if I was setting bail for the first time, it might have been higher."

The cases were adjourned to June 24, when a trial date will be set.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2008, 09:32:39 PM »
3 more pupils in court for Cape fraud

Jensen LaVende jlavende@trinidadexpress.com
Wednesday, August 6th 2008

THREE MORE pupils appeared in court yesterday charged with having prior knowledge to the Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examinations (CAPE) papers.

Randall Raphael, of D'Abadie, along with Randall Sandiford and Rudra Badree were charged with the offence arising out of the breach in the CAPE Communications Studies Paper 11.

Cheron Raphael, presiding in the Third Magistrate's Court, was forced to transfer the matter because of her relationship with one of the accused. The Express also learnt that Raphael's attorney, Mario Merritt, is also a cousin of the magistrate. The matter was then transferred to the Port of Spain Fifth Magistrate Court before Maureen Baboolal-Gafoor.

The matter came up a few minutes later before Magistrate Maureen Baboolal-Gafoor in the Fifth Court. Merritt wasted no time in asking for disclosure of all the interview notes along with the station diary extract of the interview pertaining to the notes made.

Randall Raphael, who said that he has plans to continue his studies at University level when the new school term begins, was given an adjournment to next Wednesday on the request of his attorney. He pleaded not guilty to having had knowledge of the examinations before presenting himself to write the exams at Fatima College on May 8.

Attorneys for both Badree and Sandiford asked for an adjournment, which they referred to as a "cooling off period".

Defence attorney Keith Scotland made the application in light of Monday's episode at the Tunapuna Magistrates' Court, where the father of one of the men charged with a similar offence, tried to run over media personnel with his truck. 

The magistrate adjourned the matter to October 24.

Scotland, who represented Sandiford, also asked for disclosure of the statement his client gave to the police along with the station diary extract of the interview.

Sandiford, of Chaguanas, pleaded not guilty to presenting himself at Fatima College, Mucurapo Road, St James, on May 8, having had prior knowledge to the exam papers. Badree, of Chaguanas, also pleaded not guilty to presenting himself to sit the CAPE Communications Studies Paper 11 at the Queen's Royal College. The trio were among five pupils charged by way of summons on June 10 for the offence.

On Monday, the other two men, Scott Joseph and Nyron Toney ,were each given 100 hours community service after they pleaded guilty to the offence.

On May 23, Ministry of Education employee Arianna Lakatoo, 18, and her cousin, Mikel Torres, 20, were charged with having CXC tests papers before the examinations were held.

They were each granted bail in the sum of $1 million

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2008, 08:59:48 AM »
More 2 come I am sure.

1]; } ?>