May 14, 2024, 10:39:12 PM

Author Topic: Help with a little trini legal advive plz  (Read 7481 times)

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Help with a little trini legal advive plz
« on: May 12, 2008, 10:07:15 PM »
Hey guys ,
               I know how brilliant some are here ......so can u help out

So here"s the story ....... My Moms up here ,and she not well ..this morning she did not wake up ,but she did when 911 came,shes been seeing and talking to her mom ,who died donkey ages ago  :'( and my bro to ,and a host of others .   anyway
 Just called my bro in trini to let him know ,what up . after a while he brought up the fact ,of her fathers land and the price of land home.10 acres in cunupepia or environs.How much that WORTH BTW ?
 Now this is a complicated story ,sense she know her ruthless sister been waiting for here to die to inherit it ,I thought we all just say screw them let them keep that land yeah ,but apparently she 'my aunt "called my sis recently and ask,where yah mom she dead yet ? So my sis and all say screw them oui . Let them doh take all .
 My ques is sense my mom is the oldest alive , how do we go about preventing  letting these vultures claim every thing ,getting a notarise letter from a lawyer  ?How do we stop them from claiming everything for themselves ?What is our legal recourse ?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 10:18:45 PM by Quagmire »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a little trini legal advive plz
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 10:35:28 PM »
Hey guys ,

So here"s the story ....... My Moms up here ,and she not well ..this morning she did not wake up ,but she did when 911 came,shes been seeing and talking to her mom ,who died donkey ages ago  :'( and my bro to ,and a host of others .   anyway
 Just called my bro in trini to let him know ,what up . after a while he brought up the fact ,of her fathers land and the price of land home.10 acres in cunupepia or environs.How much that WORTH BTW ?
 Now this is a complicated story ,sense she know her ruthless sister been waiting for here to die to inherit it ,I thought we all just say screw them let them keep that land yeah ,but apparently she 'my aunt "called my sis recently and ask,where yah mom she dead yet ? So my sis and all say screw them oui . Let them doh take all .
 My ques is sense my mom is the oldest alive , how do we go about preventing  letting these vultures claim every thing ,getting a notarise letter from a lawyer  ?How do we stop them from claiming everything for themselves ?What is our legal recourse ?
Sorry to hear about moms...we are all at that age now where we are confronting either the competency or worse, mortality of our parents.  My condolences...

Your mom needs to meet with a Wills and Trust attorney PRONTO.  It doesn't have to be a TnT attorney...better if it is, but it doesn't have to be.  Go to the yellow pages right now or call the Bar association for your province and have them make a referral...I cannot stress enough to you how much time is of the essence.  If you wait until your mom dies intestate (without a Will) you will open up a host of headache for yourselves.  Hopefully your mom has enough of her competency intact so as to communicate her wishes in a rational manner to the lawyer.

Call the local bar association....get a referral to a Wills and Trust (it may alternatively be called an Estates and Trust or something similar) att'y and set it up before it's too late.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 10:59:58 PM »
I was hoping u would reply ,your one of who I was speaking off,dcs truetrini and any body else who could help also.Yes she s still competent and i will try to follow your advice promptly ,thanks.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 11:35:01 PM »
Btw how much will following your advice cost us, u think ?

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 04:34:24 AM »
Hey guys ,

Quagmire, sorry to hear about your Mom's situation.

here is the Ontario LRS website
http://www.lsuc.on.ca/public/a/finding/lrs/

buh wha goin on in TnT
a friend of mine just came back from TnT where she went as her family is having the same kind of problems with her mother's siblings and their children..
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Johpants

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 10:00:52 AM »
I thought that if you die intestate your assets, shared or sole, are to be divided equally among your children. In this case, that would mean that your mother's share of the land would then be the property of her children. But better safe than sorry organize that attorney.

Keep strong Q.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 12:22:50 PM »
Btw how much will following your advice cost us, u think ?
No way to tell really...I have no idea how much an attorney would charge in your area.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 12:24:07 PM »
I thought that if you die intestate your assets, shared or sole, are to be divided equally among your children. In this case, that would mean that your mother's share of the land would then be the property of her children. But better safe than sorry organize that attorney.

Keep strong Q.
Depending on the jurisdiction if you die intestate your assets escheat to the state and your survivors get nothing.  At best you open everything up to legal challenge by all comers.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 06:56:34 PM »
Your mom needs to meet with a Wills and Trust attorney PRONTO.  <----that is the best advice from Shark.

God's Blessings to your mom Q

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 09:15:45 PM »
compre the advice bakes give is very good and diplomatic,but i on de other hand believe in fighting fire with fire and throwin de first punch so to speak,i say wreak some havoc on they ass.ah hope mammy feel better.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 09:30:17 PM »

You could also ask your moms if she wants to transfer the land into you and your sis name one time if that possible....dunno if that is more stress than she can handle right now but first step would be what Bakes said.
Is it that it just have your mom and her siblings name on the deed and it not divided up into specific areas or whatever?  Dem legal papers for land down here is look kinda complicated...the value of the land might be worth it in the end though so yuh doing the right thing looking for info. 

Keep close to your moms and be there for her.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 09:47:16 PM »
My mom fall into a really deep sleep today ,after talking all morning ,saying I had drive she around and thing . She finally wake back up two hours ago ,have not had a report sense ,the best we might be able to do is let she sign something and video tape it ,looking like my Moms finally getting ready to go home ,gosh she really going tru a lot these last few years .sigh...thanks for the tips and pm 's    ...ah almost type pms oui .Especially ,that dan dada big big one lawd hah mercy they would not have a hope in hell lol .
Well she said she wanted to see me have a chile ,before so I did that for her .
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 09:58:11 PM by Quagmire »

truetrini

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 10:36:29 PM »
after giving the matter some thought...your aunt doh have any legal claim to land that was wiled to her mother unless the previous will made provision for her.

even if she dies intestate, the rightful heirs are her husband and children and a simple matter of havng the will probated will ensure it comes into your hands.

now if they are living on the land they may want to come up with some bullshit.

call meh cousin

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 10:45:35 PM »

The land is in Trinidad and therefore the laws of TT are applicable.
Who is the owner of the land ?
Does your mom have sole ownership through a deed ?
Can it be contested ?
Do the other parties have any legal lien on the land?
Trinidad and Tobago law is based on English law where land rights etc could be vastly diferent to state and county laws in the US, forget american lawyers, call an attorney back home and get advice.

And I'm real sorry to hear about your mom's condition.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 11:34:30 PM »
after giving the matter some thought...your aunt doh have any legal claim to land that was wiled to her mother unless the previous will made provision for her.

even if she dies intestate, the rightful heirs are her husband and children and a simple matter of havng the will probated will ensure it comes into your hands.

call meh cousin

If she dies intestate then there is no will.  No will= no heirs...meaning the assets escheat to the state.  You are right in that any prior will may control...but again, best to let an attorney determine that.

Can it be contested ?
Trinidad and Tobago law is based on English law where land rights etc could be vastly diferent to state and county laws in the US, forget american lawyers, call an attorney back home and get advice.

*sigh*

Firstly, I don't recall anyone saying anything about the US...I specifically mentioned Canada.

Secondly, both US and Canadian law were derived from English Common Law.

Thirdly, it doesn't matter which jurisdiction it is, as long as she has a valid Will the jurisdiction will enforce it.  That is to say, even if she has a will drawn up in Canada that Will will be enforceable even if the property it controls is in Trinidad.

...then again what I know, I'm not a lawyer.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 11:45:04 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2008, 06:44:20 AM »

call meh cousin

If she dies intestate then there is no will.  No will= no heirs...meaning the assets escheat to the state.  You are right in that any prior will may control...but again, best to let an attorney determine that.

Can it be contested ?

*sigh*

Firstly, I don't recall anyone saying anything about the US...I specifically mentioned Canada.

Secondly, both US and Canadian law were derived from English Common Law.

Thirdly, it doesn't matter which jurisdiction it is, as long as she has a valid Will the jurisdiction will enforce it.  That is to say, even if she has a will drawn up in Canada that Will will be enforceable even if the property it controls is in Trinidad.

...then again what I know, I'm not a lawyer.

Yuh is not a lawyer but yuh know it all.
Listen I had a similar situation not long ago, if the lady has clear ownership of the property then it will go to her estate. Her spouse and children have all the rights, however it the land has no clear title then it is not just a matter of preparing a will.
Going to a lawyer in the States or Canada is a waste of time and money since the only thing they can do is prepare a will that will most probably be easily contested given the lady's health.
Consult with a trini attorney and that person will advise on the steps to be taken in Trinidad to secure the interests of the family.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2008, 06:57:22 AM »
her fathers land
Could be tricky if not legally hers to control, I guess
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

truetrini

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2008, 07:48:19 AM »
escheat does only occur if the state cyar find no heirs or no heirs make ah claim to land.

I jes re-read the entire thing and it appears that the land was left to all the chirren and that there may be an issue of not being able to do anything with it unless all agree on what is to be done.

Call ah lawyer in trinidad and let dem advise...as it stands if yuh mother eh pass her portion on to her heirs den all go be out of luck!  As the surviving heirs of the original will are the valid owners

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2008, 08:02:38 AM »
Quagmire...sorry to hear about your mom.  I hope things improve on that front.

As for the land, the first thing you need to find out is how the ownership is based.  Does your mother and her sister own the land together? and if so, is it TENANCY IN COMMON or JOINT TENANCY?

If it is TENANCY IN COMMON, then you do not have any problem because your mother share will go to whomever she wants, if she has a will. If not, that you have to move on that right away.

If the land is owned in JOINT TENANCY, there is nothing to my knowledge that you can do without your aunt or other owners' permission.  Joint Tenancy means that when one of the owners of the property dies, the deceased share of the property goes directly to the others, in this case your aunt.

So while I am not a lawyer, my advice would be figure out the ownership first and then get a will or a POWER OF ATTORNEY for you to handle your mother's assets.

If your mother owns the land fully, your aunt and/or other relatives cannot just swoop in and get it since there are children.
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

truetrini

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 08:09:51 AM »

As for the land, the first thing you need to find out is how the ownership is based.  Does your mother and her sister own the land together? and if so, is it TENANCY IN COMMON or JOINT TENANCY?

If it is TENANCY IN COMMON, then you do not have any problem because your mother share will go to whomever she wants, if she has a will. If not, that you have to move on that right away.

If the land is owned in JOINT TENANCY, there is nothing to my knowledge that you can do without your aunt or other owners' permission.  Joint Tenancy means that when one of the owners of the property dies, the deceased share of the property goes directly to the others, in this case your aunt.

So while I am not a lawyer, my advice would be figure out the ownership first and then get a will or a POWER OF ATTORNEY for you to handle your mother's assets.

If your mother owns the land fully, your aunt and/or other relatives cannot just swoop in and get it since there are children.

good post!  Right on line!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2008, 10:08:10 AM »
Boss, sorry to hear about your situation. Certainly not an easy situation. Much guidance.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2008, 10:36:23 AM »
Yuh is not a lawyer but yuh know it all.
Listen I had a similar situation not long ago, if the lady has clear ownership of the property then it will go to her estate. Her spouse and children have all the rights, however it the land has no clear title then it is not just a matter of preparing a will.
Going to a lawyer in the States or Canada is a waste of time and money since the only thing they can do is prepare a will that will most probably be easily contested given the lady's health.
Consult with a trini attorney and that person will advise on the steps to be taken in Trinidad to secure the interests of the family.

I could only laugh at you yes fella, you clearly didn't get the sarcasm...but then again there is obviously much that you do not get.

Quagmire, my best dred...I know this is a trying time for you and I hope and pray that the situation is favorably resolved  :beermug:

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2008, 11:15:36 AM »

This is almost correct.
Joint tenancy , means if one of the parties passes away then there is rights of survivor, meaning the remaining survivor (s) acquire and there is nothing that can be done about it.
If it is tenancy in common, then the land will be passed on to whomever the beneficiaries are and cannot be contested because there should be a deed .

There should be a deed that discribes the type inheritance , either joint tenancy or or tenancy in common. For tenancy in common the deed will describe the split.
If no deed exists then you will have to prove intention of tenancy in common , meaning that the original owner intended such before he or she died.
This could prove very difficult.
Consult the trini lawyer, get a copy of the deed and move on from there.
Again my thoughts are with you.

Hope the tyke is fine.
If it is tenancy in com

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2008, 12:39:09 PM »
I was really just going to leave this thing alone eh, but...

Key words being IF SHE HAS A WILL... from what I read there is no will.  Without a will any further argument as to the type of ownership is moot as the legal challenges faced by beneficiaries may prove daunting if not insurmountable.

If the land is owned in Joint Tenancy any of those joint tenants can partition off and sell their share.  Once that share is sold the new owner becomes a Tenant in Common with the existing partner owners (who retain their joint tenancy with each other only, not with the new owner).  Q if your mother is a joint tenant with anyone else she must sell her share before she dies...she cannot pass her ownership onto any beneficiary, it must be sold...even if to one of you.  Must be sold.

This is almost correct.
Joint tenancy , means if one of the parties passes away then there is rights of survivor, meaning the remaining survivor (s) acquire and there is nothing that can be done about it.

The property can be sold before death as stated above.

If it is tenancy in common, then the land will be passed on to whomever the beneficiaries are and cannot be contested because there should be a deed .

Dead wrong.  The estate and it's execution can always be contested...especially if there is NO WILL.  Without a will then the estate can be challenged by all comers.

There should be a deed that discribes the type inheritance , either joint tenancy or or tenancy in common. For tenancy in common the deed will describe the split.
If no deed exists then you will have to prove intention of tenancy in common , meaning that the original owner intended such before he or she died.

Hope the tyke is fine.
If it is tenancy in com

This again is dead wrong.  Tenancy in Common is the preferred type of ownership in the eyes of the law, which would prefer to do away with Joint Tenancy.  Therefore where the language is unclear the law is inclined to construe ownership as a Tenancy in Common...and it is Intent to create a JTWROS that must be proved to overcome the presumption of a TIC.  Intent in this regard is indeed extremely difficult to prove absent some form of writing.

----------------------------
Quagmire out of respect for and what you're going thru I didn't want to get into some sort of back and forth or any discussion really regarding the type of ownership because regardless the type of ownership the first step should be to consult a lawyer.  I won't discourage you from consulting a lawyer in Trinidad, indeed that is preferred.  However, if I read the situation right and your mother does not have a will, you do not have the luxury of waiting until you can have her meet with a lawyer in Trinidad.  Not only is her mortality at hand, but there may be issues regarding her competency as well...there must be something put in writing IMMEDIATELY, this means that the will must be drawn up wherever your mother is.  If she can travel to Trinidad then perfect...if you can get a Trini Wills and Trust lawyer (not just any lawyer will do, it must be one versed in the law as you cannot afford any errors in the language used to create the will) to fly up to Canada then that good too...if you can get neither, then get a Canadian attorney to draw up the will.

I'm not one for putting my business on the internet, so if you have any questions regarding the source of my information just shoot me a PM and I'll be more than willing to share.

Bless.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 12:40:46 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2008, 11:26:43 PM »
I was really just going to leave this thing alone eh, but...

Key words being IF SHE HAS A WILL... from what I read there is no will.  Without a will any further argument as to the type of ownership is moot as the legal challenges faced by beneficiaries may prove daunting if not insurmountable.

If the land is owned in Joint Tenancy any of those joint tenants can partition off and sell their share.  Once that share is sold the new owner becomes a Tenant in Common with the existing partner owners (who retain their joint tenancy with each other only, not with the new owner).  Q if your mother is a joint tenant with anyone else she must sell her share before she dies...she cannot pass her ownership onto any beneficiary, it must be sold...even if to one of you.  Must be sold.

This is almost correct.

The property can be sold before death as stated above.

Dead wrong.  The estate and it's execution can always be contested...especially if there is NO WILL.  Without a will then the estate can be challenged by all comers.

Hope the tyke is fine.
If it is tenancy in com

This again is dead wrong.  Tenancy in Common is the preferred type of ownership in the eyes of the law, which would prefer to do away with Joint Tenancy.  Therefore where the language is unclear the law is inclined to construe ownership as a Tenancy in Common...and it is Intent to create a JTWROS that must be proved to overcome the presumption of a TIC.  Intent in this regard is indeed extremely difficult to prove absent some form of writing.

----------------------------
Quagmire out of respect for and what you're going thru I didn't want to get into some sort of back and forth or any discussion really regarding the type of ownership because regardless the type of ownership the first step should be to consult a lawyer.  I won't discourage you from consulting a lawyer in Trinidad, indeed that is preferred.  However, if I read the situation right and your mother does not have a will, you do not have the luxury of waiting until you can have her meet with a lawyer in Trinidad.  Not only is her mortality at hand, but there may be issues regarding her competency as well...there must be something put in writing IMMEDIATELY, this means that the will must be drawn up wherever your mother is.  If she can travel to Trinidad then perfect...if you can get a Trini Wills and Trust lawyer (not just any lawyer will do, it must be one versed in the law as you cannot afford any errors in the language used to create the will) to fly up to Canada then that good too...if you can get neither, then get a Canadian attorney to draw up the will.

I'm not one for putting my business on the internet, so if you have any questions regarding the source of my information just shoot me a PM and I'll be more than willing to share.

Bless.

Yuh just like mih second wife, always have to have the last word even if yuh eating ice cream.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2008, 03:35:04 PM »
Thanks everybody for the kind words and all the pms and advice and even lawyers .You guys are really like family eh .......but I don think we need the lawyers or tips  anymore  :'(

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2008, 05:08:06 PM »
Thanks everybody for the kind words and all the pms and advice and even lawyers .You guys are really like family eh .......but I don think we need the lawyers or tips  anymore  :'(

Is everything okay with your moms?

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2008, 05:09:16 PM »
thanks for the pm ,girl .......let me be a little more ...how u say directamundo .....................she gone  :'( going to the wake now .
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 05:14:55 PM by Quagmire »

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2008, 05:27:55 PM »
Honestly sorry to hear about her passing

I really thought she was just ill from the way you described things in the thread, I had no idea

May she rest in peace
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2008, 05:29:46 PM »
thanks for the pm ,girl .......let me be a little more ...how u say directamundo .....................she gone  :'( going to the wake now .

my condolences to you and your family Q
so sorry to hear this news.

sigh

1]; } ?>