April 25, 2024, 02:17:53 PM

Author Topic: Love story ends for homeless couple  (Read 1382 times)

Offline socachatter

• ey boy look ah make
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Love story ends for homeless couple
« on: May 14, 2008, 06:43:31 AM »
Love story ends for homeless couple
...partner dies in shopping cart without help
Richard Charan South Bureau

Wednesday, May 14th 2008

In the shadow of Mahatma Gandhi's Statue on Harris Promenade, San Fernando, is a shopping cart that was the bed and home of Cynthia Ramcharan for a month.

Cynthia died in that cart on the weekend. She was 45.

In her final days, she appeared to be twice that age, her body a bag of bones, every semblance of womanhood gone. She died on Mother's Day. Somewhere is the daughter she had when she was young.

Cynthia's death went unnoticed to many who use the city. Most turned away, crossed the road, stepped into a store on seeing the approach of the man pushing her in the shopping cart. To accept them was to accept that we were failing our brothers and sisters.

Cynthia's death brought to an end a love story found in no Mills and Boon novel. No one knew or cared for her in her final days but Sylvester Joseph. He is 65, going on 85, walking on feet engorged with pus, eyes bloodshot and tear-filled.

He spoke with the Express last week. Two years ago, he said, the house he owned in Sea Lots burned. Cynthia was with him. He said they were asleep.

She woke him and got him out of the house.

"My life-saver. She saved me. I would have roasted like a barbecue chicken if not for her," he said. "So tell me how I could ever leave a woman like that".

So he stayed with Cynthia, both joining the mass of sub-humans living in the capital.

A homeless friend told them it was easier to survive on the streets of San Fernando. So they came a month ago. Cynthia was a prostitute, selling her body for money and drugs on the streets of Port of Spain, her family living in one of the villages of New Grant near Princes Town.

Cynthia ended up in the cart when a gang of homeless people prowling at night beat her on her knees.

Sylvester said he made sure she was comfortable, carrying her in his arms when needed, cleaning, feeding, bathing, like a father would a baby.

It was decision day last Monday. Sylvester needed money. He had a disability cheque to collect in Laventille where he is from originally. But how could he leave her behind, he said. No one would take her.

"All she drinks is milk in little sips, But I have no more. And the prices going up. I beg her to go hospital. She say not at all. She is afraid of the place."

To the few who stopped to hear, Syvester would beg, "Could someone get a doctor to come on the promenade to see Cynthia?" He promised to buy whatever medication was needed. "And could they check her ears? She said they were paining."

At the Gandhi Statue on Monday, three homeless people sat near the shopping cart. They said they were guarding Sylvester's belongings. He had gone into Port of Spain to get his disability grant. He planned to use it to bury his love.

"Moral certainty is always a sign of cultural inferiority.  The more uncivilized the man, the surer he is that he knows precisely what is right and what is wrong.  All human progress, even in morals, has been the work of men who doubted current moral values, not of men who tried to enforce them."

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Re: Love story ends for homeless couple
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 08:21:12 AM »
that is wuh crack does do to yuh.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

truetrini

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 08:55:34 AM »
that is wuh crack does do to yuh.

but underneath the veneer of sickness, sadness and a broken soul, there still beats a human heart with the complusion to love and care for another human being.

To me the saddest part of the story is not the two protagonists, but the multitude who just lturned away from them in their time of greatest need.

That my friends is why Trinidad is the way it is today.  We lorse we damn soul!

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 10:48:08 AM »
The guardian article that came out on mon-tuesday was real sad too.

She apparently got sick and on her way to the hospital she fell through a flower pot in San Juan bus terminus. The gentleman said her heard a crack when she hit her head. But he thinks it was her neck.

Also when she arrived at the hospital the old man thought they poisoned her as a nurse put a white thing in her drips.

She died after being discharged and he changed and dressed her. He said she smiled at him before she died.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline socachatter

• ey boy look ah make
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 11:56:59 AM »
there are so many things that disturbing about this story eh.  institutional failure, societal failure, human failure...i eh know nuh.  isn't there a church right there on harris promenade self?  that coulda pay attention and take the time to advise him?  did he know to ask those kinds of institutions for help?  what kinda life and disappointments he had to make him think they would poison her in a healthcare facility?  how much of it was his own desperation that he knew if he took her to the hospital he would be on his own on the streets?  how much of it was the warped workings of a drug damaged brain?  it sad all round yes.

i just can't imagine this man gonna live much longer either.  i keep thinking about him watching, who was probably the only person he had, die in front of him and suffer the whole way there. nah boy.  with nothing else to live for, that right there alone could kill a person.

"Moral certainty is always a sign of cultural inferiority.  The more uncivilized the man, the surer he is that he knows precisely what is right and what is wrong.  All human progress, even in morals, has been the work of men who doubted current moral values, not of men who tried to enforce them."

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 12:10:15 PM »
Absolutely. This situation is riddled with hazards.

Among them, the words 'insurance or the lack thereof' come to mind.

I state that not as provocation or insensitivity but by way of a 'truth' we know to be true ... it's another 'thing' that separates the haves from the have-nots.

1]; } ?>