April 22, 2024, 11:29:19 PM

Author Topic: Guidance/Help needed  (Read 1403 times)

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Guidance/Help needed
« on: May 14, 2008, 10:49:50 PM »
Gentlemen, I would need some of your expertise very shortly. I have just accepted a volunteer coaching post (sprints & jumps) in a small community middle-distance club...only because the coach knew me as a football coach, + one of my lil ones want to do sprints...
 I have no coaching experience or training experience for that matter, although I myself competed sucessfully at a Junior National level (trinidad & canada) many years ago. Moreso, I have inherited through their parents, when they learned of my acceptance, 2 exceptional kids, both 17 (of Trini parents), as well as, 7 others of their friends they have brought along.
1 of them is top 3 long jumper in the province for high schools, and the other, is..get this, number 1 in all highschools(actually,the HS finals are today, so that might change), anyway as of now he is #1 in 100,200,400,400 H & 800. He has so far been training on his own, as he is also all Provincial In Football, Basketball and Soccer..Plus he is a Straight A student, and in the school band...His only issue is he is a bobcats fan, and not a Raptor. :D..nb: he is a good friend as well..

Could someone give me some direction, guidance as to how I can help these kids. I have some ideas, but do not really want to waste time experimenting, while I learn the coaching aspects. I would appreciate some direction to usefull books or sites where I can pick up some proper learning habits as well as technical training quickly, as I don't want to let the kids down (never done that yet, but that was with football).
The bigger clubs are to distanced for them, especialy with their wide range of activities at present, though they are willing to give me full co-operation and participation in setting up our training schedule.
All serious suggestions would be appreciated and considered. Thanks in advance.

ps: as of next week they all would be doing distance and fitness training with the club's regular distance coach (only 2x/wk). i would be starting the sprint and jumping program the 2nd week of June.

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Guidance/Help needed
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 11:06:00 PM »
Don't know how detailed you plan on getting, but here are a few websites that have some good technical info. that is easy to understand for the beginner.
http://www.brianmac.co.uk/sprints/index.htm

This site is a bit more technical, but if its your knowledge you are seeking to increase check it out. The articles section has a lot of information.
http://www.elitetrack.com/

What are the PRs of the guy that runs 100-800, 400h?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 11:14:31 PM by Aviator »
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 07:40:26 AM »
thanks Aviator, seems to be great sites for my introduction.
I will post the times after today's finals. The times I have for him are for the prelims(unspiked), they are not really fantastic, however, and I think he will improve on them, except he is doing all events, heats & finals today,plus relays 4x100 & 400, again unspiked. I only hope he survives injury free, as it is a bit cool and raining.

ps: Check your PM.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 07:42:42 AM »
Aviator that is a boss site partnah ....going to use some of those drills to get myself back in shape just recovering from a hamstring injury myself just started playing but not ready to sprint fullout yet on the soccer field but I still have to play...... when i was in college recovery was easier lol

1]; } ?>