April 17, 2024, 07:01:36 PM

Author Topic: Bartholomew scores  (Read 3379 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bartholomew scores
« on: September 24, 2007, 09:21:59 PM »
www.whitestar.be
http://www.whitestar.be/dernier-match_en.htm

Dominating isn’t the same as winning

Our players gained a lesson in realism at Turnhout on Saturday. They predominated without managing to actually make a real impact and didn’t make the most of their good moments.

Although White had most of the possession, Turnhout were a bigger threat and more efficient in front of the net, which allowed them to lead 2-0 after 23 minutes of play. But our troops fought on and Bartholomew reduced the deficit 7 minutes before half time sounded.

Charly Chapelle added a striker during the second half and the red-and-whites kept the upper hand, but still without managing finding a chink in the opponent’s defence. And on the counter-attack in the 67th minute Turnhout finished them off. So our club lost 3-1, which is all the more frustrating since the Antwerp team were not stronger. They were just more realistic. We have now been warned: to dominate is not the same as winning; we have to be able to convert our efforts into something concrete. This is the only way we will not re-live any more unpleasant surprises.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 06:00:27 PM by Trini _2010 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Bartholomew scores
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 06:00:02 PM »
League 18th day
White Star-Bocholt : 4-1

http://www.whitestar.be/white-space/videos/index_en.php

League 18th day
White Star - Bocholt : 4-1
The Whites are back in town

Away to Bocholt on an icy pitch, our players certainly took their time in coming out on top in the second half, and while Turnhout and Liege lost two points, we grabbed the pickings for the weekend.

The first twenty five minutes gave cause to believe this was going to be a difficult one for us. Led 1 – 0 from the 23rd minute from a goal by Vrolix, the boys could have even been walking to the dressing rooms on a deficit, but it was Zahiri’s unexpected cunning in intercepting a poorly returned ball by an opposing defender which saw them equalise in the 32nd minute. At 1 – 1 at the half-time whistle, things looked somewhat brighter.

No doubt the Doc managed to fire them up during the break as they were a totally different team in the second half – attacks were much sharper and the defence got its act together. Bocholt was out of it, and we managed to multiply solo attacks on goal.

Wolfe began Woluwé’s revolt following a defensive blunder during a corner, so 2-1 to the Whites. At this point we thought we were going to see the Whites merely defend a match which they had to win come what may.

They did even better than this, pursuing their attack and taking risks, which efforts saw a third goal, this time by Bartholomew, flavour of the month for now, and a 4th off a penalty from Rinaldi.

The 4-1 score was certainly a blow for Bocholt, but still, our players demonstrated that they had plenty of tricks up their sleeve, ready to turn any match around into a serious encounter and to finish with style.

Undefeated in 2008, the Whites’ chances for the title are looking ever more prosperous. We’re still in third, but at a mere 5 points from Liege, who lost to La Calamine (3-3).

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 08:27:39 PM »
League 18th day
White Star-Bocholt : 4-1

League 18th day
White Star - Bocholt : 4-1
The Whites are back in town

Away to Bocholt on an icy pitch, our players certainly took their time in coming out on top in the second half, and while Turnhout and Liege lost two points, we grabbed the pickings for the weekend.

The first twenty five minutes gave cause to believe this was going to be a difficult one for us. Led 1 – 0 from the 23rd minute from a goal by Vrolix, the boys could have even been walking to the dressing rooms on a deficit, but it was Zahiri’s unexpected cunning in intercepting a poorly returned ball by an opposing defender which saw them equalise in the 32nd minute. At 1 – 1 at the half-time whistle, things looked somewhat brighter.

No doubt the Doc managed to fire them up during the break as they were a totally different team in the second half – attacks were much sharper and the defence got its act together. Bocholt was out of it, and we managed to multiply solo attacks on goal.

Wolfe began Woluwé’s revolt following a defensive blunder during a corner, so 2-1 to the Whites. At this point we thought we were going to see the Whites merely defend a match which they had to win come what may.

They did even better than this, pursuing their attack and taking risks, which efforts saw a third goal, this time by Bartholomew, flavour of the month for now, and a 4th off a penalty from Rinaldi.

The 4-1 score was certainly a blow for Bocholt, but still, our players demonstrated that they had plenty of tricks up their sleeve, ready to turn any match around into a serious encounter and to finish with style.

Undefeated in 2008, the Whites’ chances for the title are looking ever more prosperous. We’re still in third, but at a mere 5 points from Liege, who lost to La Calamine (3-3).

Keep up the good form Bartholomew  :beermug:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 09:56:01 PM »
Keep scorin
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 11:53:13 PM »
good work son! keep it up
All American

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 07:47:46 AM »
KEEP IT UP MATTEW
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 05:48:42 PM »
League 19th day
La Calamine - White Star : 1-2
Liege, here we come!

Before next week’s clash versus Liege, current leaders, the Whites had to win this Sunday to German-speaking La Calamine to edge ever closer to first place. It was not chose aisée, however, especially given that our players were not on form.

Our boys owed it to Bartholomew and Kempeneer respectively in the first half, whose efforts warranted their lead at half time. In the 35th, Bartholomew deceived the goalie with a stunning lob which landed squarely in the nets. And our Kempi, him again, prevented the opposition from equalising thanks to stringent goalkeeping just before half time. The score was still somewhat inflated as La Calamine had up ‘til then been the better team.

Four minutes after the break, Rinaldi managed to break away. At 2 – 0 we thought we’d finished the job, but Zahiri saw the ball fall into his lap for a third, courtesy of a penalty but which he completely fumbled. This squandered opportunity rejuvenated the hosts’ spirits, with Nélis putting one away soon after. But at 2 – 1, after Rusabana’s sending off, we were in firm control, to be able to steal away with the three points.

Anyway, the important part to remember is the victory. We’re now second, 5 points away from Liege. The Stade Fallon match against the valiant Liege crew is the most appetising encounter to date. If Biot and his crew win, they’ll only be two points away from the leaders and the race for the title will have been relaunched.

Post-match commentary...

Dr. Chapelle: «Fair play is part of football and goes for everyone.»

In a match which we knew was going to be difficult, La Calamine having just taken a point at Liege and ditched its trainer, I found our players very on edge until the first goal allowed us breathing room to get back in the match. At 2-0, we found our old game until the penalty given in our favour, which should have allowed us to lead 3-0 and bring home the bacon. But it didn’t, so we gave La Calamine something to cling on to and, with their goal out of the blue, as Nélis was just trying to centre it and not lob it to the keeper, we had to rally our forces just to maintain our slim lead with the help of Kempeneer, on the ball as ever. OK, missing a penalty happens to everyone but we did the same this week and two players had been named to take them; fair play is part of football and goes for everyone, as for Hassan in Anderlecht, exactly in the same boat and who did the same thing, only that time entraining defeat for his club. I am dazzled at the number of yellow cards dispensed in what was a very above board game and especially the third on Rinaldi, which means he misses Liege. Still, let’s remember our excellent track record since the beginning of the year: 2 points lost from 6 fixtures!

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 06:48:42 PM »
How much goals is that for him

Good Job B.
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 07:43:20 PM »
How much goals is that for him

Good Job B.

about 4 or 5 this season i think, however   he just cemented a spot in the first team in the past month or so

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 08:19:13 PM »
Keep up the Good form Matthew  :beermug:

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 12:06:55 PM »
see the lob

League 19th day
La Calamine - white Star : 1–2

Oh and white Star  won the last game  1-0   2 points of the league leaders

League 20th day
White Star - Liège : 1-0

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 10:53:08 AM »
best ah luck mathew keep up de hard wuk
all dat is necessary is necessary

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 10:33:24 AM »
Didn't see anybody post this: An entire page on Matthew after his 3 goals and an assist in 4 games earning him "White Star Player of the Month of February"
http://www.whitestar.be/documents/actualite/bruxelles_sports_080308.pdf

Here's a selective translation:

Severely put off Sunday during the shock against Liege, Matthew
Bartholomew was still one of the most regular players of White Star in the month of February. The sports journalists of “La
Capitale ” have logically elected him "Man of the Month"
Since he was a little boy, the Trinidadian
admires Dwight Yorke, the greatest player from his native island. He most notbaly wore the colours of Manchester United. It's in Port of Spain,
the Capital of this Caribbean archipelago, where english is the national language, all young footballers dream of the Premier League.
“For example, I am a big Arsenal supporter”, explains Matthew Bartholomew. That is to say, he did not hesitate when Sheffield United showed interest in him through the football school that it created in Trinidad and Tobago. I was in an acadaemy for a number of years when W.Connection F.C. wished to transfer me. Its the best club in the country.My generation was winning all of the school competitions, even on the national level, and I was scoring a lot of goals, so I was able to show myself off a lot.
Would the finishing qualities that Matthew Bartholomew speaks to us about have escaped us? Since his arrival, one can't say that he has always been pulling the "trigger" for White Star.
“I can't say that you are wrong, and I don't know how to explain it really”, continues Matthew, discreet but visibly happy that someone is paying attention to him.
“I have always played as a second striker, while being allowed to roam. I signed my first pro contract at 19 and for me it was the start of the dream. Aaron Downing, my compatriot who is with me at Woluwe, was still in the junior teams during this time, but he also had an excellent reputation back home."

Logically, the players loaned by theEnglish club are at Fallon stadium for two more years. But Matthew Bartholomew counts on having his shot in the islands earlier.
“Right now I am an U23 international and therefore, not too far from the senior team. If in the following months I was to take a step up and be able to accumulate several caps, maybe I could obtain a work permit more quickly, which would allow me to return to Great Britain. But we're not there yet..." he smiles.
David Dupont

He is the example of the lad who has progressed because he knows how to take advice. He's worked hard and has always been ready to listen and at the age of 19 he has his whole future in front of him. Physically he's ready to fight although he was frailer when he arrived.
Charly Chappelle (coach White Star)

They told me I could be loaned out, nothing more...I must recognise that it was difficult to come to Belgium. Everything is very different, the language to start. Now that belongs to the past. I have very good relations with the members of the group...
Matthew Bartholomew on adapting to a new country
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 12:38:25 PM »
League 27th day
RWSW – RCS Verviers: 3-1

May 4th, 2008

After the defeat to Seraing last week, which doesn't change things for the celestial squad, who now stand in third and qualified for the final round, the Verviers match should have allowed our players to reel off their scales at one match from the end of the league.

And they exhibited their burning desire right from the word go. They pressurised the opponents. In the 24th, one of Morrison's headers from a Madawa cross had the keeper in pieces (1-0). Just before the break, Bartholomew widened the gap (2-0).

Our players held the floor both physically and technically in this match. Even in spite of Mololi's magnificent comeback in the 53rd, which reduced the gap to 2-1, the Whites had no chink in their armour and Rinaldi rounded off the day in the 64th minute with a third.

Splendid achievement for our players who regain second place in the overall rankings at Turnhout's expense, defeated at Mol-Wezel. Our number ones need to continue in the same vein in the last match of the season at Visé next week to cement their third place and get ready for the final round.

CLICK HERE to see Bartholomew's goal. It's the first video.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 11:52:49 AM »
With White Star assured of finishing third and looking forward to the playoffs, the coach finally decide to give the other two trinis a sweat along with most of the reserve team in their last league match last weekend.

Away against a team fighting to make the same playoffs it was always going to be tough. Aaron Downing played his first match of the season up top alone and apparently didn't get much service. Jan Michael Williams looked shaky and end up collecting 5 before they sub him off in the 80th. I doh think there was any injury, so that is to tell you how bad things were. I hope Sheffield weren't watching.

Bartholomew was rested, so you could consider him officially part of the A team, I guess
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 12:28:02 PM »
 Stew !!!!

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 05:33:16 PM »
White Star played its two playoff matches this week. They were missing three key players for both games and ended up losing the first match to Eindracht Alost (fighting to stay up in D2) away 0-1 after missing a penalty, but then got pounded 0-4 at home in the return leg.

Bartholomew came on at half time in the first math and played the full 90 minutes in the second, whereas Downing came on 35 minutes into the second match down 2-0.

The reporter questioned if Bartholomew wasn't too lightweight against the Aalst defenders in the first game, and then essentially confirmed this by giving him the worst note of all the team (3/10) mentioning his "slips", "failed dribbles" and that he was "physically dominated", and an overall "flop" in that match. Downing barely escaped with any better (3.5/10) with the reporter expressing doubts on him actually having the necessary level for the Belgian 3rd Division.

When questioned about his continued collaboration with Sheffield Utd, the coach stated that if he had the choice, he would take more players, in particular an unnamed Frenchman and an unnamed Scot. He complained that "our Jamaicans* have too many problems integrating and it spoilt the ambiance in the locker rooms"

Basically, I'd be surprised if they keep anyone except Bartholomew for next season, and I'd be EXTREMELY surprised to see JMW in a Sheffield Utd shirt, even as a third keeper next season. However, I don't know what the deal is. We'll see how it goes.

*(Rafe Wolfe, Jason Morrison and Demar Stewart. Stewart is now playing in China). I'm assuming he knows the difference between Jamaicans and Trinidadians and wasn't using it to mean Caribbean in a generic way.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 05:51:40 PM by Midknight »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 05:54:51 PM »
aww well wish them the best

1]; } ?>