March 29, 2024, 02:24:23 AM

Author Topic: Minor League Thread.  (Read 37500 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Clubs taking stern action against minor league offenders
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2010, 03:28:05 PM »
I think these men playing minor league for money... seems the logical reason all things considered.
Cyah blame a man for wanting a side job if the primary one not paying as much as people may believe.

So if a man get a serious injury while playing for the minor league club, who should pay the medical bill? The pro-club or the minor league club?

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2010, 04:16:06 PM »
for instance... and of our "pros" in England,Scotland, USA etc.. any of them ever come down and go sweat in the minor league ???

so to get back to the point of Pro and Amatuer ??
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2010, 04:26:14 PM »
The minor league team ... he cyah play if he not registered and the only how they could prevent him from getting insurance is if they make him sign a waiver.
Not saying I supporting it but if men playing to make money because they not getting paid well enough with their club team then I'm saying I can understand  why.
I hear sam talk about a man making 120000 for two years  breaking that down is 60000 a year 5000 a mth hypothetically this would be equal to 9600 us a year or 800 us a mth or 200 us a week before taxes so even further this man would be working providing this was a 40hr a week job for 5 us an hr less than minimum wage which is 5.25 an hr..... and man wonder why men playing in minor league?
This my friend is poverty levels and all this is before tax!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 04:28:11 PM by Ngozi »

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2010, 04:33:43 PM »
It amazes me as to how men could even get paid in this pro league there is absolutley no money coming in for sponsors to support teams then they have to go in with the mindset off the bat that there is no money to be made at all because they just paying men with no sign of any money coming in from the gate receipts or even TV money. A SPONSOR HAVE TO GO IN WITH THE PLAN TO GET SOMETHING OUT OF IT thats the nature of profit and loss..... for this league to blast off they need to market the hell out of this league with lil incentives to make people wanna come. Grown man not rushing that league so market the kids  reduced prices and lil halftime extrvagnazas to make things interesting the only people looking up to ball right now is the young kids .... I mean this is off the top of my head..... realistically there is no benefit in playing in this league to be honest from a financial or economic point of view.... sadly :(

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2010, 04:53:17 PM »
The minor league team ... he cyah play if he not registered and the only how they could prevent him from getting insurance is if they make him sign a waiver.
Not saying I supporting it but if men playing to make money because they not getting paid well enough with their club team then I'm saying I can understand  why.
I hear sam talk about a man making 120000 for two years  breaking that down is 60000 a year 5000 a mth hypothetically this would be equal to 9600 us a year or 800 us a mth or 200 us a week before taxes so even further this man would be working providing this was a 40hr a week job for 5 us an hr less than minimum wage which is 5.25 an hr..... and man wonder why men playing in minor league?
This my friend is poverty levels and all this is before tax!

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=48640.0
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2010, 05:51:46 AM »
Sam
120000 over 2 years is 5000 a month TT.

Small money

Take out tax, gas money, box of KFC and some doubles and your money done?

FYI 5000 dem fellas eh payin no tax and wit their skill set what wuk would dey have gotten payin dat money?
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2010, 07:06:20 AM »
It amazes me as to how men could even get paid in this pro league there is absolutley no money coming in for sponsors to support teams then they have to go in with the mindset off the bat that there is no money to be made at all because they just paying men with no sign of any money coming in from the gate receipts or even TV money. A SPONSOR HAVE TO GO IN WITH THE PLAN TO GET SOMETHING OUT OF IT thats the nature of profit and loss..... for this league to blast off they need to market the hell out of this league with lil incentives to make people wanna come. Grown man not rushing that league so market the kids  reduced prices and lil halftime extrvagnazas to make things interesting the only people looking up to ball right now is the young kids .... I mean this is off the top of my head..... realistically there is no benefit in playing in this league to be honest from a financial or economic point of view.... sadly :(

Ngozi you thinking with yuh head being in the US and not in trinidad. first of all, leh we be serious, which one of those minor leagues have insurance to cover any pro getting injured? this aint minor leagues in the US where every player has some kinda basic insurance coverage, hence why man have to pay fees before they can play in US minor leagues. When teams pay to play in minor leagues in T&T, its to go to paying the officials (watever small money they getting), if they have to rent the fields, prize money, and the rest going in the pocket of the organizer or association. So any injury comes out of the clubs pocket, which is unfair for them to have to pay.

Also, we talking about 5000TT salary and crying it down. First things first, we cant compare 5000tt to 5000us. Due to the cost of living and conditions in both countries, the monies should not be compared. For example, food dam expensive in T&T as compared to the US. However, transportation is more expensive in the US than in T&T. When I was at Joe Public, Jack purchased some villas in the back of Tunapuna for players to stay, rent free. Im not sure how many clubs offering this, but really how many pro players paying mortgage? Dont get me wrong, im not saying its a big set ah money, but dont make it out to seem like thats sufferation money. Now if you want to go Zen every week and blow ah grand everytime yuh set foot in there, have yuh car rims out and plenting money behind ah set ah gyal, then yeh you must suffer! As Weary said, where else most of these players going to find another job paying them that kinda money. It have plenty people in T&T not even seeing that kinda money but they raising children and putting them through school. I'm not going to give our supposed pro players that crutch to use saying that d money aint enough so they have to go play monior league.

I fully agree with the stance the clubs are taking. Fine dem, ban dem, transfer list dem! Soon, some players might have to pay back signing bonus like they doing in the NFL too. If we dont enforce the law that league will be in the toilet very shortly. These players want all kinda thing from the club and their administrators, from the league, from sponsors, from the government, but what they going to bring to the table? They go into negotiation for their contracts and ask for one set ah ting, clubs do their best to accomodate these players and u go disrespect the hand that feeding you by playing in a minor league sweat? I have no sympathy for them. It have players who would give an arm and a leg to play in their shoes and they take that opportunity and waste it for ah village gyal or a box of KFC or $150-$200? Nonsense.
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2010, 07:21:17 AM »
Ma Pau and Police taking chain up from Fenwick though. The best you could do is fine them players cause by selling them or withdrawing from your roster, you only weakening yourself and they will probably just go play for another pro-league side.

You have something personal against Fenwick?  I jus curious cause I notice yuh always have issue with him and mention him.  Unless i misread Fenwick suspended and fined as opposed to transfer listed his players.

I say this is a good move by all teams because the message must be clear.  It also shows that is not just if yuh play fuh ah certain team yuh ha to worry.  These fellas don't seem to be serious about football as a career if they willing to jeopordize it this way.

Nah man killa..u not reading my posts properly. I didn;t diss fenwick here, or in the past. I like Fenwick a great deal and i am delighted with what he has done with Jabloteh and for local football. I think with him at the helm we will see Jabloteh do well in the champions league this year.
I say fenwick do the right thing here, is the other coaches who just jump on d bbandwagon without thinking it through by putting players up for sale and banning them etc. cause they hurting the clubs more than the players who will just go to another club
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2010, 07:57:10 AM »
Dem fellas not only not good at football but they not good at comprehension either.

How long now even Fenwick sending out spies fuh these wutless fellas. They think they hiding playing extra sweat.

Go pull bull like Whatley if yuh want extra pocket change.

Offline Teflon Don

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2010, 04:04:59 PM »

Ngozi you thinking with yuh head being in the US and not in trinidad. first of all, leh we be serious, which one of those minor leagues have insurance to cover any pro getting injured? this aint minor leagues in the US where every player has some kinda basic insurance coverage, hence why man have to pay fees before they can play in US minor leagues. When teams pay to play in minor leagues in T&T, its to go to paying the officials (watever small money they getting), if they have to rent the fields, prize money, and the rest going in the pocket of the organizer or association. So any injury comes out of the clubs pocket, which is unfair for them to have to pay.

Also, we talking about 5000TT salary and crying it down. First things first, we cant compare 5000tt to 5000us. Due to the cost of living and conditions in both countries, the monies should not be compared. For example, food dam expensive in T&T as compared to the US. However, transportation is more expensive in the US than in T&T. When I was at Joe Public, Jack purchased some villas in the back of Tunapuna for players to stay, rent free. Im not sure how many clubs offering this, but really how many pro players paying mortgage? Dont get me wrong, im not saying its a big set ah money, but dont make it out to seem like thats sufferation money. Now if you want to go Zen every week and blow ah grand everytime yuh set foot in there, have yuh car rims out and plenting money behind ah set ah gyal, then yeh you must suffer! As Weary said, where else most of these players going to find another job paying them that kinda money. It have plenty people in T&T not even seeing that kinda money but they raising children and putting them through school. I'm not going to give our supposed pro players that crutch to use saying that d money aint enough so they have to go play monior league.

I fully agree with the stance the clubs are taking. Fine dem, ban dem, transfer list dem! Soon, some players might have to pay back signing bonus like they doing in the NFL too. If we dont enforce the law that league will be in the toilet very shortly. These players want all kinda thing from the club and their administrators, from the league, from sponsors, from the government, but what they going to bring to the table? They go into negotiation for their contracts and ask for one set ah ting, clubs do their best to accomodate these players and u go disrespect the hand that feeding you by playing in a minor league sweat? I have no sympathy for them. It have players who would give an arm and a leg to play in their shoes and they take that opportunity and waste it for ah village gyal or a box of KFC or $150-$200? Nonsense.

I ignore ngozi point from d time he convert to US and start thinking cost of living out there and all that
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 04:07:30 PM by Tallman »

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2010, 05:05:39 PM »
I glad you ignore it ... wouldnt want yuh to get a headache thinking too much ... it really quite simple I wasnt comparing the salaries per say ... but trinidad's cost of living is much higher obviously and what would seem a decent salary in trinidad is well below a smilar type league poverty level salary type such as the mls ....because obviously yuh cyah compare it to the epl ..... which mean nuff men might be getting much less so basically it come down to money .... men hitting the minor leagues because they wah lil more money. I'd hate to think that grown men would do it to impress a "smalley".... I mean we cyah really be that backward ,... can we?

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2010, 07:20:29 PM »
Dem fellas not only not good at football but they not good at comprehension either.

How long now even Fenwick sending out spies fuh these wutless fellas. They think they hiding playing extra sweat.

Go pull bull like Whatley if yuh want extra pocket change.

now every true trini know the meaning of this term.  any of the older heads or men who spend real time limin on the block could tell mih the origins of this term?

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2010, 07:31:43 PM »
I glad you ignore it ... wouldnt want yuh to get a headache thinking too much ... it really quite simple I wasnt comparing the salaries per say ... but trinidad's cost of living is much higher obviously and what would seem a decent salary in trinidad is well below a smilar type league poverty level salary type such as the mls ....because obviously yuh cyah compare it to the epl ..... which mean nuff men might be getting much less so basically it come down to money .... men hitting the minor leagues because they wah lil more money. I'd hate to think that grown men would do it to impress a "smalley".... I mean we cyah really be that backward ,... can we?

I trying to find some sense in your argument. The only reason i would think a player would breach his contract to play minor league is either based on some fan or community sentiment. I don't even think dem minor leagues play their players.

That being said i think we can all agree the pro league clubs are well within their rights to take whatever action they deem necessary to discipline players who reneg on the terms of their contract.

Speaks more to the mentality of the individual rather than the state of the league. Maybe the league through the club system can institute some educational type support in personal and financial management, a budding league like ours need some extras to bring all aspects up the learning curve on what it means to be professional.

A teller in a bank makes less then 6,000 a month btw, so does an entry level primary school teacher.

Go figure
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 08:10:52 PM by Tallman »
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2010, 08:40:02 PM »
So $5,000.00 is 'small thing' back home, really? I didn't realize that.

Fordy I agree with nuff what yuh had to say jed!

I sure it have rel 'stupid-man' playing pro ball, who choose NOT to play minor league, so it good for dem who choose to play and have to stand the consequences, yes it damn good for dem.

So Noel Williams is police ah 'recruit', unless me eh understand it, he and de other police eh losing no money, because dey getting police salary right?

Hell, at least dey give we ah topic to discuss on de forum.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2010, 08:57:29 PM »

ngozi u playin like u aint know we people or wha? lol!
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline Teflon Don

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2010, 08:17:09 AM »

you living in trinidad currently??? anyway to answer u....yes dem fellas in d local league dat backwards dem not playing in d minor league for no real financial gain. it sad but true

Offline Jay10

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2010, 05:19:08 PM »

you living in trinidad currently??? anyway to answer u....yes dem fellas in d local league dat backwards dem not playing in d minor league for no real financial gain. it sad but true
Yepp dats true...cuz for the most u might get a $500-800 for a game...(most likely u will be found out and fined about 50% of your salary which is about $2000)....so dats deff not for monetary gain..

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2010, 08:41:48 PM »

Nope....... and that really sad in truth yes

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Minor league offenders to feel the full wrath.
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2011, 06:07:26 AM »
This thread is resurrected in honor of de latest Marvin Oliver saga.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2011, 06:12:40 AM »

:beermug:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2011, 06:19:50 AM »

The stance is justified... and really underscores how bone-headed Oliver decision is.  Imagine Fenwick right there on the sideline and approach yuh before the game to tell yuh not to do it (he obviously cares enough) and you still decide to forego yuh contract fuh ah minor league sweat.

I find the next thing the Pro League should do is up the penalty... fuhget a new team having to pay the old team 6 mos salary, siddung dat man fuh ah whole year.  It might seem like I being harsh on the player but this is bigger than the individual player... this is about the growth of the league, and therefore the benefit of the future players to come.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2011, 08:05:19 AM »
Here is a compilation of some players who get jack up over de years:

St. Ann's Rangers (January 2011)
Adrian Narine, Clevon McPhie, Josimar Belgrave, Elijah Belgrave

San Juan Jabloteh (April 2010)
Marvin Oliver, Noel Williams

Ma Pau (April 2010)
Rennie Britto

Police (April 2010)
Emmanuel Nurse, Jason James, Kaaron Foster, Randy Britto, Hayden Janes, Terryl Alwin

San Juan Jabloteh (December 2009)
Ataullah Guerra

Caledonia (December 2009)
Kerwin Jemmott, Keyon Edwards

Joe Public (December 2009)
Hayden Tinto, Carlyle Mitchell, Gorean Highley, Kareem Young

Superstar Rangers (August 2007)
Kerwin Jemmott, Devon Modeste, Arnold Ferguson, Milton Gomez, Jhony Ortiz Cardona

Joe Public (July 2002)
Stokey Mason, Adrian Narine, Joseph "Gouti" Peters, Kendall Velox, Nigel Pierre, Arnold Dwarika

Rangers axe four for minor league appearances
Guerra suffers pay-cut for breach of contract
Joe Public to fine errant players
Jemmott sent packing by Superstar Rangers
Arnold Dwarika, Nigel Pierre fired

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
2014/2015 Minor Leagues Thread
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2014, 05:34:51 AM »
T&TEC upset Plipdeco
T&T Guardian

T&TEC’s Damian Charles produced a splendid performance to help his team to a winning start as action continued in the SIS Industrial Football League on Wednesday.

The muscular forward showed his prowess and skill as he maneuvered between the Plipdeco defense to create chances and cause disarray in their backline.

Charles opened the scoring in the 9th minute with a pinpoint finish in the top right corner past goalkeeper Kwesi Griffith. T&TEC had the opportunity to go two goals up six minutes later when Nolan Mohammed whipped in a fiery low cross but Charles failed to make contact with the ball against an open goal and had to watch it go out for a goal kick.

Plipdeco responded with a few hopeful strikes from outside the area but struggled to connect their passes and build momentum as they ended the first half trailing one goal to nil. On the resumption, Charles made up for the clear cut chance he missed earlier, bagging a second goal to sink Plipdeco into further trouble.

Goalkeeper Griffith would deny Charles his hat trick a couple minutes later as he tipped a long range effort just over to crossbar to keep his team in the game. Griffith’s effort sparked a revival amongst his teammates as Plipdeco started to be more creative and attacking on both flanks and were justly rewarded when Keston Belfor slammed home Plipdeco’s first of the match.

The game was setup for an exciting finish and so it would be as Plipdeco pressed for an equaliser and T&TEC defended like their lives depended on it. Ajamu Matterson, who scored a brace for Plipdeco in their first match on Monday, led the charge but unfortunately saw his efforts go agonizingly wide on a few occasions. T&TEC would hold firm and gather a valuable three points putting Plipdeco under immense pressure having drawn their first fixture.

In the second fixture of the day, the Methanol Division of Industrial Plant Services Limited (IPSL MX) took on Yara in a match where little opportunities and spaces were found early on. The first half was a virtual midfield battle with both teams losing possession regularly resulting in shots from outside the box.

Both teams would have been disappointed as they headed in at half time with the score 0-0. MX and Yara seemed as though they received some stern words from their managers at the interval as they came out full throttle at the start of the 2nd half with both teams going head to head and punch for punch, it was just a matter of time before one suffered a deadly blow. Unfortunately, it was Yara to concede when Terrence London’s long range effort slammed into the lower left corner to give MX the lead.

This initiated a string of attempts from3 teams as Yara pushed for an equalizer and MX sought that all important extra goal to seal the match. It was not until the final play of the match that Yara stole victory from MX when Keston Davis drilled an effort from about 10 metres out to rupture the back of the net. Yara erupted in celebrations as the referee blew the whistle to signal the end of the match.

MX would be disappointed having lost two points due to a momentary lapse in concentration and will look to rebound in their next match against Nu Iron Unlimited.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Minor League Thread.
« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2015, 06:41:17 PM »

The Cox coaching academy continues to fuel football in the Palo Seco area through youth development. This past weekend the academy welcomed youth teams from across Trinidad at its 4th annual youth tournament. See Video https://www.facebook.com/csportslive/videos/1041506372567661/

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
‘Cool It’ cross Fishing Pond ‘Big 8’ hurdle
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2016, 04:17:39 PM »
‘Cool It’ cross Fishing Pond ‘Big 8’ hurdle
By Stephon Nicholas (T&T Newsday)

Take That and Cool It put their past demons to rest on Saturday with a battling 1-0 victory over Coca All-Stars that ended a threeyear rut which saw them eliminated at the quarter-final stage of the Caribbean Welders Fishing Pond League ‘Big 8’ each time.

A first half header from Kendal Nathaniel gave ‘Cool It’ the lead but they were forced to hang on for the victory as Coca All-Stars threw everything at them but could not find the equaliser. ‘Cool It’ had their goalkeeper to thank for the win as well as the crossbar which was struck three times. The game should have ended 2-0 but a late effort from Take That and Cool It forward Irvin Reyes on a counter- attack was struck well overbar with just the ‘keeper to beat.

After the final whistle, ‘Cool It’ manager Sherwin ‘Pigeon’ Joseph, was a relieved man.

“After three years of sourness, the table turned. We cross a hurdle and we thank the Lord, we pray for that.

This is what we was looking for and we get it; today was we off day and we pull through. So from the semifinals, I sorry for who coming to face we,” he declared.

Commenting on the performance of his team, Joseph acknowledged: “We could have finished better. We get plenty chances, if we had finish them off in the first half, we wouldn’t be under so much pressure.” And with his team scheduled to come up against the defending champions next, he boasted: “We beating Biche. We have something for them. In the opening (game) they catch we off guard and beat we so revenge. We strikers go be clicking for that game so I not frighten and we back line go be tough. I want to deal with that case before the final. Let me put them to play for third.” Meanwhile on Sunday, Boys Town continued their remarkable run with their seventh straight victory to book their place in the semi-finals. Facing league stage champs Dragon FC, Boys Town came out firing after a goalless first half to slay Dragon who failed to replicate their fiery early season displays.

Squeezing through in the ‘Big 8’ as the eighth seed and missing their suspended midfielder Isaiah Smith, Boys Town were the underdogs but came out fearless. After a 0-0 first period and some advice from their manager ‘Blem’, Boys Town took the game by the scruff of its neck and assumed control. A powerful header from a cross by Kevon Glynn game them a 1-0 lead and Shayden Primus doubled the advantage soon after. It was soon 3-0 with Samuel Bain getting his name on the scoresheet and the game seemingly done and dusted. But Ronny Estick pulled one back for Dragon to make the closing stages a bit interesting only for Afiiba Alexander to make it 4-1 with a thunderous strike at the death.

Semi-final action kicks off on Saturday with Boys Town against Dream Team at 3.15pm while champions G Madrid square off against Take That and Cool It on Sunday at the same time. League organiser Prakash Ramkissoon is imploring all teams to be on time for their matches. The final of the tournament is tentatively carded for November 19. The first prize is $30,000 while the runners-up will take home $7,000. The third and fourth-placed teams will get $5,000 and $3,000 respectively.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Boys Town, ‘Cool It’ in Fishing Pond final
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2016, 11:47:41 AM »
Boys Town, ‘Cool It’ in Fishing Pond final

Boys Town are one win away from winning the Caribbean Welders Fishing Pond 9-a-side Football League and pocketing $30,000. Two months ago, however, one loss would have seen them miss out from even qualifying for the knockout stage of the tournament. But after six straight defeats to start the season, Boys Town have reeled off eight consecutive victories and seemingly can do no wrong even when they do everything wrong.

Facing 2013 champions Dream Team in semifinal one on Saturday, Boys Town turned up two players short to start the game and eventually found themselves in a 0-2 hole. But when reinforcements arrived, Boys Town quickly found their swagger and knotted the scores with a goal on either side of the half.

And with extra time needed to separate the teams, Dream Team, who were the better side in that period inexplicably scored an own goal with their captain Shaquille Edwards heading the ball into his own net to hand their rivals the win 3-2.

Boys Town will face Take That and Cool It in the final on November 19 after ‘Cool It’ dispatched last year’s winners G Madrid 5-4 on kicks from the penalty spot in a nerve-wrecking semifinal two yesterday.A double from G Madrid’s Maurice Billy was cancelled by an own goal and one from Irvin Reyes.

In the penalty shootout, both teams were inseparable after five kicks (4-4) but in sudden death, G Madrid missed their kick and Ryan Baptiste stepped for his team to bang home his effort and book their place in the final.

Starting the game with just seven men on Saturday, Boys Town found themselves trailing after Patrick Parris fired Dream Team in front. Despite finally having their full complement of players on the field, it was soon 0-2 as a throw in from the left found Boys Town’s defence napping. Parris ghosted in at the near post to flick the ball into the net with one touch to stun the Boys Town team and their supporters.

But almost immediately, Boys Town cut the deficit through Isaiah Smith following a mixup between left-back Durrell Navarro and goalie Sheldon Charles. A long ball caused a bit of confusion between the defender and his ‘keeper and Smith muscled his way between them to steal the ball and tap into the vacant net.

Smith had the chance to make it 2-2 after a right-sided cross was chested to him by Aeion Charles on top the box but the forward’s right-footer flashed wide of the left post.

Charles was combining well with his teammates and created chances that went in vain but should have been a bit selfish when bearing down on goal on the left but looked to pass to Smith when a shot would have been the better option as the half ended with them trailing by one goal.

Dream Team were on the ropes but were inches away from another goal through the sheer brilliance of Carlon Nicholas.

A goal kick was taken down on the left by Nicholas and after driving inside, he unleashed a ferocious strike that pinged off the bar with Kenton Thompson in the Boys Town Town goal well beaten.

But with pressure mounting, Boys Town got a deserved equaliser from a set play. A free-kick from the left was taken by Kelon Boatswain and the defender, instead of crossing into the box, curled the ball into the top left of the goal to make it 2-2 at the end of regulation time.

Dream Team, seeing their season slipping away, came out stronger in extra time, pegging Boys Town back but unable to carve out any real chances. And with penalty kicks looming in the second half of extra time, a seemingly harmless right-sided cross caused panic in the Boys Town defence and Edwards, unaware of his surroundings, headed the ball into his own net.

A desperate Dream Team had one last chance to draw level but Jameel Sempel’s cheeky free-kick curled over the wall but rebounded off the bar as time elapsed.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Boys Town, ‘Cool It’ battle for $30k in Fishing Pond final
« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2016, 12:52:18 PM »
Boys Town, ‘Cool It’ battle for $30k in Fishing Pond final

FORMER CHAMPIONS Boys Town will tackle Take That and Cool It tomorrow in what is expected to be one of the most intriguing finals of the Caribbean Welders Fishing Pond Football League at 3 pm. The third place play-off will precede the final with Dream Team meeting 2015 winners G Madrid at 1 pm.

The champions this year will take home $30,000 while the runners- up will get $7,000. The third and fourth-placed teams receive $5,000 and $3,000 respectively.

Speaking to Newsday ahead of the title match, Boys Town manager Daryl ‘Blem’ Miranda expressed full confidence in his troops to get the win and capture the coveted first prize. And with former Boys Town stars Irvin and Sean Reyes suiting up for ‘Cool It’ this year, it provides another twist in an intriguing narrative.

“We have everybody (available), everybody up to mark. My supporters coming to give the (Take That and Cool It) players a hard time, especially Irvin Reyes. They could know a little secret but we know things about them too. We know them strong point and them weak point,” he said.

Who are the favourites tomorrow? “We have the edge because we have the momentum right now.

The season start kind of rough for we but I always tell my players have faith and we go make it into the (Big) eight. Once we make it into the eight we go win the competition, yuh understand,” he added.

The Boys Town manager noted he is satisfied with how his team is playing currently and has given them some advice for the final.

“Just not to give them no room to shoot. Just to lock down Irvin Reyes and try not to give them room. No free-kick, try to lessen on the fouls because they have real men could kick good, Sean (Reyes) could kick and I have to try and prevent that.” ‘Blem’ said there has been plenty picong among his former players but despite that says they are all one family.

Irvin has boasted he will retire from all football if Boys Town win but ‘Blem’ think he should reconsider his decision as of all the finals his team has played he is most confident about this one.

‘Cool It’ boss Sherwin ‘Pigeon’ Joseph is equally confident though and believes his team is peaking at the right time.

“Honestly, they go put up a little fight but they eh ready yet. Right now we clicking at the right time.

The defence, the forwards and we playing as a unit. Going into the final, we is the team to beat,” he declared.

He brushed aside the idea though that Boys Town have the edge after winning eight straight games including beating ‘Cool It’ in the league stage. ‘Pigeon’ pointed out that that defeat was a result of them playing a weakened team in that match as they had already secured their spot in the ‘Big 8’ and did not want to pick up any injuries.

“The only thing about Boys Town is right now they have the luck going with them. If we didn’t give them the passage (they wouldn’t be here) but take out the passage, we unbeaten in about nine games. We not taking them lightly but we giving 150 (percent effort).

All the players say if we don’t win this year we go never win again.

We had something for Biche (G Madrid) and we put them to rest.

For the last three years every year we beat Boys Town so we full of confidence,” he stated

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Grande Praise to defend Churches League knockout title
« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2016, 12:55:41 PM »
Grande Praise to defend Churches League knockout title
T&T Newsday

GRANDE PRAISE will defend their Churches Football League Knockout title on November 26, at the Larry Gomes Stadium in Arima. The 2015 winners will battle Church on the Rock in the final, starting at 3 pm.

In the semi-final phase, Grande Praise had a 3-2 aggregate win over West End, in their two-leg contest, while Church on the Rock hammered former champs Curepe Amen 6-0.

Church on the Rock will be seeking another title this month, as they will oppose West End in the League Final on November 20 at the Arima Municipal Stadium.

This game will also get going at 3 pm.

In related news, D’Abadie Deliverance Sanctuary and Reformation Life Centre took the top two spots in the First Division, and they will both advance to the Premiership, at the expense of New Testament Warriors and Khandahar Open Bible, who will demoted to the First Division in the 2017 season.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
La Horquetta/Talparo league finals on
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2016, 09:13:51 AM »
La Horquetta/Talparo league finals on
T&T Express

Darryl Smith, Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs, will be joined by Maxie Cuffie, Member of Parliament for La Horquetta/Talparo, at the finals of the constituency’s Football League which kicks off at 3.30 p.m. tomorrow at the newly-refurbished Brazil Recreation Ground.

Phase I of the project to repair the field was undertaken by the Sports Company (Sportt) while the pavilion was completed in Phase II by Community Improvement Services Ltd, a state enterprise under the Ministry of Community Development, Culture and the Arts. The Couva/Tabaquite/Talparo Regional Corporation, in keeping with the local government reform initiative, will maintain the facility in the future.

Tomorrow’s matches
3rd place playoff—Brazil United vs Shoe-a-holic Wallerfield
Championship Match—Talparo Blast vs Las Lomas Sports Academy

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Minor League Thread.
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2016, 05:36:01 AM »
‘Cool It’ claim Fishing Pond crown
By STEPHON NICHOLAS (NEWSDAY).

Take That and Cool It defeated Boys Town 3-2 in extra time on Saturday to edge a hard fought final in the Caribbean Welders Fishing Pond Football League and pocket the $30,000 first prize.

Boys Town had to ‘cool it’ with second place and $7,000 while 2015 winners G Madrid edged Dream Team on penalties in the battle for third place.

They received $5,000 and $3,000 respectively.

Boys Town opened the scoring through Shaden Primus early in the first half but ‘Cool It’ hit back through Irvin Reyes and Kelon Valdez to snatch the lead at halftime. Boys Town rang in the changes at the break, using all their substitutions and it was two of their subs that combined to score the equaliser midway through the second half.

Right winger Andel Jones found Marcus Chandool unmarked in the box and the nippy forward tapped into the open net. With extra time needed to separate the teams, it would take a set-piece to win the tie.

‘Cool It’ won a free kick close to 22 yards out and Leon Durity, urged to do “nothing fancy” but put his laces through it, did just that and aided by a slight deflection off the wall, left the Boys Town goalie statuesque as the ball nestled into the back of the net. It was a cruel way to settle an exciting final but still a deserved win for the team managed by Sherwin ‘Pigeon’ Joseph.

“The performance was real good, both teams play well but we know they never beat us. They take the lead but I wasn’t panicking at no time. I know them depending on two or three players but I have a team, a complete team,” Joseph declared.

A confident Joseph added that he was prepared to go to penalties as he believes his team had the better penalty kickers at their disposal. And with the majority of the crowd supporting Boys Town, he said the victory was made sweeter. “That does hype up the game. Right now they silent like is a funeral. I ain’t give them no talk before the game but right now is my time,” Joseph said while chuckling.

Earlier, Boys Town started the more aggressive team, finding spaces in the Boys Town defence on the counterattack. Primus fired the first warning shot from the right at the near post but ‘Cool It’ goalie Anderson Weeks was alert to make the save. There was nothing he could do though a few minutes later when Primus and Ian Charles combined on another break with the latter squaring a pass to the former in the penalty area to break the deadlock.

But ‘Cool It’ were soon level courtesy a blast from the past.

Former national player and veteran Alvin ‘Sweetbread’ Boisson was given too much room in the midfield and the 50-year-old needed no prompting, unleashing a vicious shot that the Boys Town goalie could only parry skywards, and Reyes, a former Boys Town player, followed up to knock in the equaliser in the vacant net.

Kendall Nathaniel was having an excellent game for ‘Cool It’ and came close with a header and then a shot from distance as ‘Cool It’ began to take control. Primus, though, was proving a handful with his size and speed and collected the ball on the left flank before drifting past three players infield and lashing a shot that flew just over the bar.

But ‘Cool It’ would take the lead, Boys Town’s Brent Jackson losing the ball cheaply in the ‘Cool It’ half and a long clearance found the run of Kelon Valdez who beat the offside trap and slotted the ball expertly past the goalie.

It could have been 3-1 when Reyes robbed Boys Town rightback Korey Boatswain of the ball and cut on his favoured rightfoot, but shot narrowly wide of the right post as the half ended.

Boys Town came out in desperate search of the equaliser and could have had it through an unlikely source, defender Paul White made a strong run from deep in his half but his left-footed shot was tame and easily held.

They would have their equaliser though, the speedy substitute Andel Jones came on for Jackson on the right and he romped down the flank before sending a low cross into the danger area.

Charles ‘dummied’ the ball at the near post for Chandool who could not miss unmarked at the far post.

But ‘Cool It’ had the best chance to win it in regulation time when a long ball was taken down by Reyes but he took one more touch than necessary and Boatswain closed him down before he could get his shot off.

With extra time needed and penalties looming, Durity’s deflected free-kick proved the difference aided by a little bit of luck to decide the winner.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

1]; } ?>