March 29, 2024, 03:25:29 AM

Author Topic: Is this Kaiso or Soca?  (Read 2217 times)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Is this Kaiso or Soca?
« on: May 19, 2008, 07:23:37 PM »
Allyuh is this Kaiso or Soca?..ah see one of de posters ask de question

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uUADTDFIl1I&feature=related

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Re: Is this Kaiso or Soca?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 08:27:38 PM »
What is actually the technical difference? What I've wanted to know is how do you describe the rhythms in a classical sense. For example for reggae it would be: 4/4 time, accents on the 3rd beat in each bar, there being four beats in a bar, the rhythm guitar coming in on the 2nd and 4th.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 05:58:02 PM »
What is actually the technical difference? What I've wanted to know is how do you describe the rhythms in a classical sense. For example for reggae it would be: 4/4 time, accents on the 3rd beat in each bar, there being four beats in a bar, the rhythm guitar coming in on the 2nd and 4th.

yuh asking de same questions I want answered..

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 06:57:37 PM »
that is kaiso i say so because i tend to focus more on the lyrics/message of that song... not the beat....
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 12:10:45 AM »

A musician once told me dat Reggae beat is 1 . 2.   Calypso is  1. 2. 3. I check wah he was saying but I eh fully agree with him. From way back in the early part of the 20th century and around de early fifties calypso central beat was 1. 2 so I holding strong dat calypso own de reggae beat still.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 05:13:51 AM »
Kaiso
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 12:26:15 AM »

A musician once told me dat Reggae beat is 1 . 2.   Calypso is  1. 2. 3. I check wah he was saying but I eh fully agree with him. From way back in the early part of the 20th century and around de early fifties calypso central beat was 1. 2 so I holding strong dat calypso own de reggae beat still.
According to an interview with Kitch I heard sometime ago he said "reggae has a 4/4 timing while Kaiso is 2/4".
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 12:39:39 PM »
When soca first came out, I always used to be of the opinion that it was easily identified by the bass line.  Dum Dum....Dum Dum....very repitious, whereas Kaiso would utilise a more traditional bass line following the chord progressions of the song.

Jes a layman's viewpoint.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 09:21:53 PM »
When soca first came out, I always used to be of the opinion that it was easily identified by the bass line.  Dum Dum....Dum Dum....very repitious, whereas Kaiso would utilise a more traditional bass line following the chord progressions of the song.

Jes a layman's viewpoint.
yeah these kinda songs represetn ah gray fuzzy area, ah fusion..but i still think it leaning towards soca..
kaiso is more like what chalkie does sing.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0_a_jwDZBGk
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

1]; } ?>