April 29, 2024, 05:32:16 AM

Author Topic: Pro League coaches sympathise with Scotty.  (Read 7248 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Pro League coaches sympathise with Scotty.
« on: May 17, 2008, 06:07:33 PM »
Pro League coaches sympathise with Scotty.
… But support Maturana.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).
[/size]

Three from four top Trinidad and Tobago Pro League coaches, when asked about the national team selected to face England and begin the 2010 World Cup qualifying campaign, expressed sympathy for excluded Swansea striker Jason Scotland.

But national head coach Francisco Maturana, a two-time World Cup coach for Colombia, continues to have the support of the local fraternity.

Defence Force coach and former “Strike Squad” star Kerry Jamerson voiced regret that Scotland, a former soldier and one of England League One’s top stars this season, was ignored but quickly expressed solidarity with the Colombian coach.

“Seeing the season (Scotland) just had and the amount of goals he scored,” Jamerson told the Trinidad Express, “it was surprising that he wasn’t in the squad. But each coach has his own ideas on what he wants.

“I am supporting this coach 100 percent because I think all coaches should support each other.”

Vibe CT 105 W. Connection coach Stuart Charles-Fevrier’s echoed Jamerson’s sentiments.

“Jason is at the peak of his career at 29,” said Fevrier, “and he just completed the best season of his career so his confidence is high. I also think (Chris) Birchall is a young player who did well in the last World Cup campaign and I thought he deserved a chance to be at least evaluated…

“But I don’t want to disrespect the coach and he is right to select the players he thinks will do the job for him.”

Clico San Juan Jabloteh boss Terry Fenwick suggested that Maturana’s squad could be even younger and was unimpressed by some of the squad’s “ageing” defenders.

“There are a number of players there who I think have been great servants for the nation,” said Fenwick, “but it is time to move on now. I think we have some very exciting youngsters coming through and, if you look at world football today, a lot of the best players are teenagers.

“Trinidad have not got many players in the middle of the road (24 to 29 years old) apart from Carlos Edwards.  (Our best players) are all 30 and over or kids.”

However, Fenwick suggested that the technical staff should respect the Pro League when shopping for local talent. Two members of the 26-man squad, Jamal Gay and Akeem Adams, are schoolboys who have never played in local top flight competition.

Jabloteh, the defending Pro League champions, contributed only 20-year-old midfielder Ataullah Guerra to the national squad and Fenwick, a former England World Cup player, suggested that right back Elton John and winger Lester Peltier, both 20, deserved a shot and, especially, combative 19-year-old midfielder Devon Jamerson—the son of the Defence Force coach.

“I think people are underestimating Jamerson,” he said. “Trinidad (and Tobago) produce many players of flair like Aurtis Whitley… Jamerson is a very tidy player with a terrific engine who does the dirty work.

“Most players here don’t want to go there and I am really disappointed that he wasn’t called up.”

Jamerson senior was happy to have three soldiers in the shortlist although present Pro League leaders, United Petrotrin, were the biggest winners with four players.

But even Petrotrin coach Brian Williams, another former “Strike Squad” stand out, was concerned at the omission of Scotland and 24-year-old Coventry City midfielder Chris Birchall.

“I thought it would be a nice time to give (Scotland) a selection and also Birchall,” said Williams. “But I have a lot of respect for Maturana… We should continue to rally around the team and try to understand what Maturana is trying to do for the future of Trinidad and Tobago football.

“We must be knowledgeable as supporters about what is taking place and what the coach is trying to achieve.”

Fevrier, a former Trinidad and Tobago head coach and St Lucian international, reiterated that disagreements over team selection do not indicate a lack of faith in the present boss.

“No two coaches will come up with the same team,” said Fevrier, who is the most successful coach in the history of the Pro League. “I thought the country had started to build a team two years ago and that the development would have continued but obviously this coach has decided to go his own way.

“I feel sorry for Jason Scotland because it was his best season as a professional player but, at the same time, Maturana has been given a job by the association and we need to respect his selection.

“A coach lives and dies by his decisions and, if he is getting results, then he is justifying his selection.”
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Pro League coaches sympathise with Scotty.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 06:52:38 PM »
btw where is kerry baptiste is he injured?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 07:38:36 PM »
Dey must b happy d locals gettin 2 play after all is food so local food betta than foreign base food is not futbol
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 08:17:50 PM »
Dey must b happy d locals gettin 2 play after all is food so local food betta than foreign base food is not futbol
         Weary is not a matter of locals getting to play,is what makes sense,look even Fenwick saying so, this is one time he make sense to me,if we thinking of future and not patch work they are on the right track.
         It's good to see the local Coaches echoing the same sentiments but understands as Coaches sometimes we have to make hard decisions,one thing they all agree on is they stand by it what ever the consequences and respects what each other does.
         Fenwick have me puzzled though when his thoughts are that more Jabloteh players should be on the team,isn't there always problems for their players to be realeased for national duty?   

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 08:34:40 PM »
Dem locals once dey step up go b foreign base soon so when d axe fall dey eh say nutten. As 4 Fenick it have some people I does have 2 thank God remote was invented so as dey come on d screen I could change channel 
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 08:42:20 PM »
If these local players do well, by the WC 2010 they will be foreign players.  That is how it goes - play well you get called to big leagues.  This foreign player versus local player thing we have to stop.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 08:45:01 PM »
Thank u Storebay

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 09:11:46 PM »
If these local players do well, by the WC 2010 they will be foreign players.  That is how it goes - play well you get called to big leagues.  This foreign player versus local player thing we have to stop.
       I agree with you on that,what i think it should be about though is younger players.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 09:19:39 PM »
We always quick 2 put people out 2 pasture and say we 4 d youth

Offline heete

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 03:06:56 AM »
maturana preparing a side for 2014 apparently!!!!! no kerry baptiste??????

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 05:58:02 AM »
wow..ppl like to make an issue..i agree with everything every coach said..and fenwick is very correct...

with the exception of jason scotland..u can't really fault the other players that Maturana pick or din pick..

i don'treally see why ppl kicking up a fuss about local players getting a pick over the foreign based bcuz foreign x "does play better" than local y seems to play...but is X playing better than Y now? how do we judge this?

Honestly i don't see why people complaining about Birchall..has his club form really been awe inspiring? A mean a couple games in a reserve league
Would you really pick Brent Sancho now? He only recently got signed to a club after a long layoff?

yes these players served us well..and even personally i think Sancho may still be one of the best defenders we have around...but let's use common sense for once nah..let the local youngsters get a chance to learn please...

our world cup squad was the oldest in competition and everybody seems to want that squad to run out for 2010..is that what u really want?

look at the biggest teams in the world..look at england now...rooney is younger than our entire WC 2006 squad..easily....ronaldo...messi...same thing...

younger players should be easy to teach bcuz they have not fully developed their games and mentalities as yet...

and why has this become a case of foreign vs local..how much foreigners sweat under maturana b4 this game?
connell and paterson never get a run under any other coach..scotland get a sweat under maturana...so what is the argument here?

THIS IS NOT EVEN THE FINAL SQUAD... so ppl please calm down on the drama for a sec nah...

« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 06:01:10 AM by Arazi »

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 06:31:29 AM »
If you all observe it's the consensus of all the Coaches this is the way to go,fans and supporters will always see things differently,they are all about entertainment and their favourite players,it's two entirely different worlds,i want you all to show me right now any team from the last WC that playing with the same roster,i see where Small Mag listed a number of players we have available,even if they intend too call up a couple of those guys that still playing well later on as we get closer now is the time to experiment,putting together the right mix for any Coach is an uphill battle,it's not just drop and pick anybody because we like them or know them,Coaches go with what they are comfortable with,all games are not the same,the same strategy will not work for every game.

At the end of a game supporters can walk away/go home and that's the end of it,players can do the same but as Coaches it's the start of your next game,it never stops or ends for us,all people does see is a team winning but does not realize what it takes to win,players do get left out of teams because of their attitudes,can't relate to what the Coach doing etc etc when teams trying to solve their problems the easiest thing for them to do is remove the Coach because all fingers points at him when a team is losing,does that usually solve the problem?may be may be not.  

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 06:43:03 AM »
Fenwick have me puzzled though when his thoughts are that more Jabloteh players should be on the team,isn't there always problems for their players to be realeased for national duty?   

Ah was wondering if is me alone notice that....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline mwanasoka

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is played from de neck up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 07:23:30 AM »
One,I really believe in this coach.
Two,I think communication is key here but absent. Imho, we are seeking an avowal from
the head coach as to his direction / departure from previous developmental squads.
It should have been made out front ; beforehand. Did he ? Is an avowal 'plausible deniability'
or 'sticking your neck out' ?

When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 08:47:50 AM »
However, Fenwick suggested that the technical staff should respect the Pro League when shopping for local talent. Two members of the 26-man squad, Jamal Gay and Akeem Adams, are schoolboys who have never played in local top flight competition.

I find this is a very important point...

Yuh cyar justify Gay should be in the squad before Scotland. In fact based on this yuh cyar justify if two of them should be there atall, given the opponent we are facing.

Further it is a diss to the local pro league players who putting in their dues.

But it shows that a) The coach like them and b) They getting the caps for the opportunity to fly out if the opportunity presents itself....so somebody looking out for them.

Now this is the part that irks me. Our national senior team should not be a training session, that is what under 17,20,23 and club teams supposed to weed out. It should be the best XI to don the red black and white based on form.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2008, 09:35:16 AM »

I find this is a very important point...

Yuh cyar justify Gay should be in the squad before Scotland. In fact based on this yuh cyar justify if two of them should be there atall, given the opponent we are facing.

Further it is a diss to the local pro league players who putting in their dues.

But it shows that a) The coach like them and b) They getting the caps for the opportunity to fly out if the opportunity presents itself....so somebody looking out for them.

Now this is the part that irks me. Our national senior team should not be a training session, that is what under 17,20,23 and club teams supposed to weed out. It should be the best XI to don the red black and white based on form.

Touches your points /views are quite valid and i could see with that,now i know that it's the mordern game and things that were implimented yesterday may not aply today.In T&T we have a long history of players without any Pro league,senior league experience etc etc being selected to represent the country,even getting contracts abroad,for example what club Yorke and Latapy played for in T&T.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2008, 12:55:13 PM »
Very balanced comments from Fevrier, Fenwick and Jamerson.

Pretty impressive actually because the comments not only demonstrate a respect for an ongoing project (the challenge of which they themselves know as coaches) ... I also detect a consensus of respect for the national coach that was absent/deteriorated under the previous man in charge.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2008, 07:10:29 PM »
The local based need a real test, one that would give a true indication of their ability and hunger to be successful. Once the boss put them through their paces & test them, he will have the best opportunity to evaluate. Then and only then could he begin to establish a core unit. Brave move but one that should be very insightful for the future WC qualifications
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 12:08:02 AM »

Pretty impressive actually because the comments not only demonstrate a respect for an ongoing project (the challenge of which they themselves know as coaches) ... I also detect a consensus of respect for the national coach that was absent/deteriorated under the previous man in charge.
So to what do you attribute Fenwick's continued withdrawal of his players from practicing and playing certain games with the National team?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 12:15:44 AM »
Not about Fenwick... ;D

I think its rather unfortunate Scotty didnt get called up but I suppose the coach know what he doing...Go T&T

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 03:53:40 PM »

So to what do you attribute Fenwick's continued withdrawal of his players from practicing and playing certain games with the National team?

That the respect is bounded by Fenwick's self-interest?

Even so, if so, it appears he's a bit 'responsive' in what he says.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 05:27:33 PM »
Scotty will get his chance- and so will Birchie.

I know this is a "big" game in the sense of the opponent, but let's remember that it is a friendly exhibition match against a team on holiday. The cries over who was and wasn't selected are a bit exaggerated if you ask me.....unless we have no other friendlies planned before we begin competitive matches.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 05:38:02 PM »

I know this is a "big" game in the sense of the opponent, but let's remember that it is a friendly exhibition match against a team on holiday. The cries over who was and wasn't selected are a bit exaggerated if you ask me.....unless we have no other friendlies planned before we begin competitive matches.

ah team on vacation
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Boy is either you a comedian or ah real dum-dum. Ah go think is de fist one so ah go gess laugh at dat statement.  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2008, 06:22:13 PM »

ah team on vacation
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Boy is either you a comedian or ah real dum-dum. Ah go think is de fist one so ah go gess laugh at dat statement.  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Other than switching the word holiday for vacation (which we do in Trini all the time so 'llow meh nah  ;D)....what part of what I said is so funny?
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2008, 10:30:38 AM »
Capello vacating vacationing too?

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2008, 11:14:38 AM »
OK so the season in th UK is over. Birchall at home in England but Scotty is at home in trini so why the hell no let him train with the team.
Will he not be able to help the youngsters in that way. Sure if he is told that he might not play and he decides to sit this one out then that is fine but come on...we have 3 important games in 3 weeks.....shorly the bigger the squad the better.
God forbid that someone should get injured...what then jump on the phone and ask Scotty to come join the team.

Same goes for the other expreinced players that are all at home. That is how the experience is passed from one generation to the next......
Theobald, Spann, Sancho they can all help create the professional attitude needed at training because they have lived it.

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2008, 12:40:16 PM »

But kicker, isn't that exactly what is going on in this situation? As far as I know, the next matches we have after the England game are the WCQ's against Bermuda. Which is why i think questions surrounding the selections are somewhat justified. Unless of course u looking past Bermuda, which is a slippery slope...
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2008, 12:41:59 PM »
As far as I know, the next matches we have after the England game are the WCQ's against Bermuda.
We play Jamaica on June 7th.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2008, 12:50:46 PM »
As far as I know, the next matches we have after the England game are the WCQ's against Bermuda.
We play Jamaica on June 7th.

Oh yes that's true, i forgot about that. Thanks Tallman
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

1]; } ?>