March 29, 2024, 03:44:25 AM

Author Topic: Fuentes to Sunderland: Trust us with Kenwyne!!  (Read 2457 times)

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
Fuentes to Sunderland: Trust us with Kenwyne!!
« on: May 23, 2008, 06:20:40 AM »
www.sunderlandecho.com

Trinidad and Tobago today promised Sunderland: "You can trust us with Kenwyne Jones."

The Black Cats' £6million striker is still recovering from suffering a broken arm in his club's end of season loss at home to Arsenal only 12 days ago.

But T&T are desperate for him to play in their showpiece friendly with England on June 1.

Despite Jones's importance to his country, T&T spokesman Shaun Fuentes said it would be madness to risk the 23-year-old star making his injury worse.

Fuentes said: "Kenwyne's been here in Trinidad for a few days catching up with his friends and family.

"He's enjoying chilling out after a tough season but I think he wants to play against England and we would like him to play some part.

"The first day of our training camp is tomorrow and Kenwyne won't be involved in that.

"We will properly assess his injury and make a careful decision in due course.

"But Sunderland can be confident we won't take any risk with Kenwyne. He's our biggest star right now – an important player for us.

"We have World Cup qualifiers against Bermuda after the England game and it is important for us to have Kenwyne fit."

Sunderland winger Carlos Edwards is also in the Soca Warriors' squad to play England and should join Jones against England.

Fuentes added: "Some arrangement will be made for Kenwyne to play against England wearing a light cast if that's necessary.

"But I think he has indicated it may be possible that, depending on how well the injury heals, he could probably go without the cast.

"It will be great to have Carlos back too. Our coach Franc Maturana has not had much of a chance to see these guys for himself so this is going to be a great chance for the players and the coach.

"We know Carlos and Kenwyne are not only important for the national team but are definitely important to Sunderland as well.

"Our federation wants a strong working relationship with Sunderland and we don't want to make things harder in that relationship."

T&T met England in the last World Cup finals – the first the Soca Warriors had ever qualified for – but next Sunday's friendly is seen as a historic date.

"It is the biggest game ever to be staged in our country," added Fuentes. "The interest is huge. We sold out our 24,000 tickets in two days and if we had an extra 15,000 or 20,000 seats we could probably sell them, too."
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Fuentes to Sunderland: Trust us with Kenwyne!!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 06:30:06 AM »
www.sunderlandecho.com

Trinidad and Tobago today promised Sunderland: "You can trust us with Kenwyne Jones."

The Black Cats' £6million striker is still recovering from suffering a broken arm in his club's end of season loss at home to Arsenal only 12 days ago.

But T&T are desperate for him to play in their showpiece friendly with England on June 1.

Despite Jones's importance to his country, T&T spokesman Shaun Fuentes said it would be madness to risk the 23-year-old star making his injury worse.

Fuentes said: "Kenwyne's been here in Trinidad for a few days catching up with his friends and family.

"He's enjoying chilling out after a tough season but I think he wants to play against England and we would like him to play some part.

"The first day of our training camp is tomorrow and Kenwyne won't be involved in that.

"We will properly assess his injury and make a careful decision in due course.

"But Sunderland can be confident we won't take any risk with Kenwyne. He's our biggest star right now – an important player for us.

"We have World Cup qualifiers against Bermuda after the England game and it is important for us to have Kenwyne fit."

Sunderland winger Carlos Edwards is also in the Soca Warriors' squad to play England and should join Jones against England.

Fuentes added: "Some arrangement will be made for Kenwyne to play against England wearing a light cast if that's necessary.

"But I think he has indicated it may be possible that, depending on how well the injury heals, he could probably go without the cast.

"It will be great to have Carlos back too. Our coach Franc Maturana has not had much of a chance to see these guys for himself so this is going to be a great chance for the players and the coach.
"We know Carlos and Kenwyne are not only important for the national team but are definitely important to Sunderland as well.

"Our federation wants a strong working relationship with Sunderland and we don't want to make things harder in that relationship."

T&T met England in the last World Cup finals – the first the Soca Warriors had ever qualified for – but next Sunday's friendly is seen as a historic date.

"It is the biggest game ever to be staged in our country," added Fuentes. "The interest is huge. We sold out our 24,000 tickets in two days and if we had an extra 15,000 or 20,000 seats we could probably sell them, too."

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 06:40:39 AM »
Have a great Game Fellas

dat might just call out de Ghost of 1989 eh :devil:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline kentsoulman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 07:02:31 AM »

:idea:

I just saw a light bulb come on at Jacks house  :rotfl:

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 07:37:06 AM »
Maybe I missing something but I doh tink dis is d biggest game ever staged in T&T.....whats at stake besides money

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 07:43:44 AM »
and $$$$$$$ is de biggest ting for Jack !
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 09:01:43 AM »
Maybe I missing something but I doh tink dis is d biggest game ever staged in T&T.....whats at stake besides money

The biggest in terms of star power and glamour...and revenue
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 10:46:54 AM »
We are always so third world- Do you think any of the big countries will write that apologetic- Please Sir - letter to any club.
 I guess it is a case of Who pays the piper calls the tune.
 What ever happened to love of Country first- I thought Colonialism had ended a long time ago.

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 11:04:48 AM »
yup...Jack gonna build some seats on the track now

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 11:33:29 AM »
Ok trust yuh child with a peadophile is d equivalent
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 11:45:16 AM »

The biggest in terms of star power and glamour...and revenue
Maybe the glamour and revenue part...throw in hype.  Deeks would tell you, Brazil back in the day had more star power, and maybe even glamour too.

1]; } ?>