April 26, 2024, 03:27:29 PM

Author Topic: British press: Warner dictating financial terms  (Read 2591 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
British press: Warner dictating financial terms
« on: May 23, 2008, 10:53:05 PM »
British press: Warner dictating financial terms.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).

Rooney excused from T&T trip

Saturday, May 24th 2008

FIFA vice-president and Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF) special adviser Jack Warner claimed, earlier this week, that the England FA (Football Association) owned the television rights for the June 1 Centennial match between England and the "Soca Warriors" as one of several conditions they insisted on before agreeing to visit Trinidad.

"This match is costing us $15 million," said Warner, on Tuesday. "We have sold $7.8 million in tickets. Where is the rest of the money going to come from?"

Yesterday, the T&TFF reiterated that they had not benefitted from the sale of television rights.

"TV rights were given to the English FA for England and Europe as a condition precedent for them to play in Trinidad," stated the T&TFF. "To date, no one has contracted with the TTFF for the TV rights of the Caribbean or the Americas or even Trinidad.

"Accordingly, no commercial revenue has been received to date by the TTFF for TV rights."

But, in Britain, Warner is thought to have a much bigger influence on the financial aspects of this match than he claims locally and it is a controversial topic at the London-based FA.

"There is particular disquiet that the (England) FA is allowing Jack Warner, the controversial vice-president of FIFA, to dictate the financial terms of the visit by Fabio Capello's England squad," wrote the Times chief sports correspondent, Matt Dickinson, yesterday.

Warner has said little about the revenue expected from the friendly apart from ticket sales. However, it does not appear that the English FA would be the party to cash in on the fixture.

The FA, according to the British press, is allegedly willing to accept a "small" financial loss with the hope that Warner backs their expected bid to host the 2018 World Cup.

"With so many superstars in the England team, which allows the hosts to cash in through gate money and television rights," stated the Times, "the FA would normally drive a hard bargain and come home with a healthy profit.

"But experienced FA politicians will say that the 'small loss' is a price that has to be paid if England are to be serious bidders for 2018, given Warner's influence at FIFA."

It has been a busy week for Warner and the T&TFF.

On Monday, the Sports Dispute Resolution Panel in London released a decision that the T&TFF owed their World Cup players 50 per cent of all revenue related to the tournament and criticised Warner and T&TFF general secretary Richard Groden for their absence from the hearing.

But Warner quickly eclipsed the players' legal victory when, on Tuesday, he instructed his attorney to threaten action against the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs over rental fees for the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

Warner raised the possibility of cancelling the June 1 fixture, although Sport Minister Gary Hunt dismissed the threat as "posturing" and insisted that the parties would come to an agreement.

But if the England friendly does come off, as expected, patrons may be disappointed by the expected absence of Manchester United star Wayne Rooney and Chelsea offensive midfielder Frank Lampard.

The British media revealed yesterday that Capello is considering a rest for eight players from United and Chelsea who featured in Wednesday's Champions League final in Moscow.

It means that Rooney, England's key player since the 2004 European tournament, Chelsea's Champion League final scorer Lampard and past and present England captains John Terry and Rio Ferdinand could miss the fixture in Port of Spain. All four took part in England's 2-0 World Cup win over the Soca Warriors two years ago.

Chelsea winger and 2007/08 player of the season, Joe Cole, and left back Ashley Cole, who also featured against Trinidad and Tobago in Germany, might also be excused, along with the versatile Manchester United pair of defender Wes Brown and midfielder Owen Hargreaves.

Prolific international scorer and 2001 European Player of the Year, Michael Owen, is already ruled out with the virus, while Tottenham midfielder Jermaine Jenas is another injury doubt.

"(Capello) now acknowledges that the exercise is not worthwhile if some individuals are mentally and physically exhausted or hampered by injuries," wrote UK Guardian writer Kevin McCarra. "With many players suffering from cramp on Wednesday, United and Chelsea looked on the verge of collapse after their packed programme."

The players would be assessed by the FA's physiotherapists and may still be used for their clash with the United States at Wembley, later this month. But some, if not all, of the eight would be permitted to skip their visit to Trinidad although England should still travel with stars like David Beckham, Steven Gerrard and Peter Crouch.

"England will not want to leave too many players behind," stated the Times, "given that impressing Warner is a priority."

Last August, Warner told the BBC that, apart from inventing the game, England "never made any impact on world football" and he was "quite sure" England's proposed World Cup bid would fail as "nobody in Europe likes England".

Warner subsequently claimed that his BBC interview reflected the opinion of other "football grandees" and he was happy with England's bid.

INFLUENCE: Jack Warner, FIFA vice-president and special adviser to the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation, announces details of the friendly international between Trinidad and Tobago and England during a press conference at Hyatt Regency Hotel last month. The teams are set to meet on June 1 at the Hasely Crawford Stadium. -Photo: Anisto Alves

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Re: British press: Warner dictating financial terms
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 11:29:59 PM »

On Monday, the Sports Dispute Resolution Panel in London released a decision that the T&TFF owed their World Cup players 50 per cent of all revenue related to the tournament and criticised Warner and T&TFF general secretary Richard Groden for their absence from the hearing.

But Warner quickly eclipsed the players' legal victory when, on Tuesday, he instructed his attorney to threaten action against the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs over rental fees for the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

i eh go lie nuh..

ah watch these 2 paragraph and ah wondering..

is it only me that realize that in the past few weeks, is like whatever is de prevailing sentiment on this board does end up in the papers 2 days later??

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 12:25:05 AM »
bah wah, i would of give back my ticket if i know those stars not coming. i would want to see people like ferdinand and rooney

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 02:33:23 AM »
bah wah, i would of give back my ticket if i know those stars not coming. i would want to see people like ferdinand and rooney

Give it back nah. Ah dare yuh!  ;D
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline FATZ

• Hero Warrior
  • I SELL FOOTBALL JERSEYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 06:56:34 AM »
Once again, the T&T public got a 6 for a 9 from Jack Warner. We going to see a second string English side with no set of big names and since 'ALL' the tickets already sold out Jack smiling all the way to the bank and we getting seconds as usual. I figure they knew all along that England wouldn't send their big name players down here because they have nothing to gain (the players that is) and the FA tell Capello to release a statement saying that all players must report if called up knowing full and well we in Trinidad will be reading all the news so we got chained up. fatten Jack pockets without hesitation then Capello now saying the exercise is not worthwhile. He must not even know how to spell Trinidad far less Tobago and must have told the FA "Siete tutto il pazzo, perché siamo che andiamo a questo puntino giocare questi shithounds" :rotfl: :rotfl:
WELCOME TO DINSLEY OUT IN THE STREETZ THEY CALL ME FATZ

Without Him, I am nothing but with Him I can do all things. Phil 4:13

Offline mwanasoka

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is played from de neck up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 07:25:49 AM »
Readin between de lines,dese FA Politicians done see ah stadium holding 26k max ,
could only make but so much TTD$. The jewel of the whole commercial venture,The
TV Rights,was casually bartered away ? They [ FA Politicians ] commandeered de TV
rights and sit down on it. Who lose ?
I seein de FA waitin fuh de fertilizer tuh hit de ventilation and for JW to crash an burn.
Maybe replaced.He outa he league/mind an playin wid de DEVIL.
BTW dinho,ah tink yuh onto someting dey. :rotfl: :rotfl:
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 07:40:09 AM »
I see Jack Warner on TV talking about the Minister doesn't care about sport and football in particular. A sport that gives so much hope to at risk black youths from Carenage and Behind d Bridge.  Steups. Jack Warner is a wolf in wolf's clothing.

We are now seeing what everybody thought was going to happen. England will send a second or third string side and the public has already paid $300,$600 and $1200 TT to watch their side play.

Hunt move real sneaky too but the TTFF can't hold the government to ransom for sponsorship money and do nothing in return.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 07:46:03 AM »
I see Jack Warner on TV talking about the Minister doesn't care about sport and football in particular. A sport that gives so much hope to at risk black youths from Carenage and Behind d Bridge.  Steups. Jack Warner is a wolf in wolf's clothing.

We are now seeing what everybody thought was going to happen. England will send a second or third string side and the public has already paid $300,$600 and $1200 TT to watch their side play.

Hunt move real sneaky too but the TTFF can't hold the government to ransom for sponsorship money and do nothing in return.

hunt wanted TTFF to declare the profits/Loss of the games  !!   warner would not get away next time.... is 10%
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 08:59:19 AM »

Yuh hadda move sneaky with ah snake

Allyuh check de fine print on yuh tickets....maybe de plan was to sen England u-17 squad from long time
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 08:59:36 AM »

Jah Gol yuh right, plenty people that coming a mile away. But some folks really believed the full England team was coming to play little T&T in a fete match. Just the selectees on that T&T team alone tell me Maturana already had a good idea of the real quality of opposition we would be facing. No way that coach would be blanking Jason Scotland and picking schoolboys and PLF youngsters to run against John Terry and Rio Ferdinand, far less for dealing with Rooney and Lampard.

I was going to coincide this seeing this match with visiting family. Good thing my Spidey sense and the vibes on this board tell me don't do it. So while its good the PFL youngsters and vets will finally get a taste of Premiership quality opposition is a shame some get roped into a trap and spend money to fly in for a match that will most likely not be as advertised.

They coulda sell the same amount of tickets for people to see a 2nd or 3rd string England team with 2-3 big names. But typically they choose once again what is in their raw nature....to be as unethical and dishonest with the sporting public as they can without committing prosecutable fraud.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 10:56:18 AM »

i eh go lie nuh..

ah watch these 2 paragraph and ah wondering..

is it only me that realize that in the past few weeks, is like whatever is de prevailing sentiment on this board does end up in the papers 2 days later??

That automatically came to mind....
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 01:17:08 PM »
The sad thing here is that Jack have it that Trinbagonians dotish. There is no way in Hell that he not making $$$ from this. He is not that patriotic to just contribute 5-6 mil US to this.

I am confident that Jack is getting a kick-back from the English FA for the TV rights, this will secure England WC bid. Remember Jack only began flashing paper after the USA was granted the WC several years ago.

It's business as usual. let it be known - JW can be bought - Check his Off-Shore accounts.  :devil: :devil: :rotfl:

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 02:27:55 PM »

Give it back nah. Ah dare yuh!  ;D

I doh buy football tickets dread. I walk my talk. Until the TTFF stop their currupt ways, like posting an audit for the public, I will gladly empty my pockets for them

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2008, 03:44:43 PM »
has anybody here been to this site?
I see there are links to contact the FA
maybe somebody could give a link to this forum so they could visit us once in awhile ;)
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 06:33:15 PM »
So d under 17 not d under 20 dat comin. I though we woulda at least get d under 20
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2008, 08:15:12 AM »
Ramesh: Jack’s the man funding Malaysian probe
http://www.guardian.co.tt/news6.html

" Maharaj revealed further that Warner was committed to funding a forensic unit which the UNC-A believes is critical to unearth corruption involving state agencies. "

Is it me or should people in glass houses not throw stones. What about corruption in his own house !? Shouldn't he be prepared to spend some of that money on a forensic examination of TTFF's accounts!! ?!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 08:18:37 AM by FLi ! »
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008, 12:34:16 PM »
Ramesh: Jack’s the man funding Malaysian probe
http://www.guardian.co.tt/news6.html

" Maharaj revealed further that Warner was committed to funding a forensic unit which the UNC-A believes is critical to unearth corruption involving state agencies. "

Is it me or should people in glass houses not throw stones. What about corruption in his own house !? Shouldn't he be prepared to spend some of that money on a forensic examination of TTFF's accounts!! ?!

Steups! This like sending a paedophile to investigate a child prostitution ring.  ::)
Attraction of the Mind gives Respect.
Attraction of the Heart gives Friendship.
Attraction of the Body gives Desire.

Attraction of all Three of them at once …
gives Love.

[

1]; } ?>