April 30, 2024, 11:04:13 AM

Author Topic: England vs Usa  (Read 6138 times)

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
England vs Usa
« on: May 28, 2008, 11:08:07 AM »
England and USA focus on 2010 World Cup

LONDON, May 27 (Reuters) - While most of their traditional rivals are preparing for Euro 2008, England face the United States on Wednesday already focusing on the start of the World Cup qualifying campaign later this year.

England were eliminated from the European finals last November and new manager Fabio Capello is using Wednesday's friendly against the U.S., next Sunday's against Trinidad & Tobago and August's friendly against the Czech Republic as preparation for the start of the qualifiers in September.

Wednesday's game against Capello's side is the first of three high-profile friendlies for U.S. coach Bob Bradley's team who are also using the match as preparation for their own bid to reach the 2010 finals in South Africa.

They face Spain on June 4 in Santander and four days later take on Argentina at Giants Stadium in New Jersey. They start their World Cup qualifying campaign against Barbados in California on June 15.

Wednesday's match should also be significant for U.S. striker Landon Donovan, who is poised to make his 100th appearance for the United States, just two months after his Los Angeles Galaxy team mate David Beckham made his 100th appearance for England against France in Paris.

Donovan is one of three U.S.-based players to make the squad for the game, which includes eight players with English clubs, including Tim Howard (Everton), Carlos Bocanegra, Clint Dempsey and Eddie Lewis (Fulham), Jonathan Spector (West Ham United), Benny Feilhaber and Eddie Lewis (Derby County).

Capello, who will be in charge of England for the third time after an opening 2-1 win against Switzerland in February and a 1-0 defeat by France in Paris two months ago, said on Sunday that he believed he could take England all the way to the World Cup final in 2010.

He believes that England, who provided both clubs for the Champions League final between Manchester United and Chelsea last week, have enough talent to challenge for the World title. He may rest some of the eight players who appeared in the Moscow match which United won after a penalty shootout, however.

Owen Hargreaves, who was on the winning side for United last week, told a news conference at the England team hotel on Monday that the Chelsea and United players were old friends and had far too much respect for each other to let their club rivalry affect their preparations for the England matches.

'There are no ill-feelings towards each other, we are all friends,' he said. 'We've known each other for such a long time and spent so much time with each other away and at major tournaments, there is a great amount of mutual respect for each other.

Wednesday's match is the ninth meeting between the countries with England winning six and the U.S. twice: the first being their famous 1-0 win at Belo Horizonte in the 1950 World Cup finals in Brazil, one of soccer's greatest upsets.
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: England vs Usa
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 11:51:45 AM »
I've been waiting for this, i say allyuh forget. what time is KO ?
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 12:40:14 PM »
Is wha....nobody eh have no details...game start?  It done? 

What...what??
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 12:43:37 PM »
in 20 minutes

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 12:49:57 PM »
basically this is what happens when two shit sides come together to play a game of football.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 12:56:29 PM »
basically this is what happens when two shit sides come together to play a game of football.

:rotfl: :rotfl:

ooooohhhh guuuuudd Omar, yuh killing mih here dis evening....I only interested because ah mih overt dislike (a much softer word than de alternative  ;D) for de US team.....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 01:00:48 PM »
Game live on ESPN classic now.  Always good to see Sir Bobby  :beermug:  he just presented Becks with an award in acknowledgement of his 100th cap for England.

Kinda poignant hearing the Star Spangled Banner on English soil.   Dunno who that Vivica Fox-looking chick is, but she butchered that anthem.  Just terrible.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 01:05:38 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline legal alien

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 01:02:18 PM »
i should've started this thread. ah find it was takin extra long
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 01:59:50 PM by legal alien »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 01:32:02 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline RedDevils

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 01:38:38 PM »
gerrard and fat frank playing one set ah sh!t.......hope they continue over d weekend  :devil:
Glory, Glory MANUTD.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 01:40:02 PM »
wes brown is one shit hound lord fadda
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 01:44:16 PM »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 01:47:24 PM »
1-0 England...goal Terry in the 37' off the Beckham free kick.

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 01:49:16 PM »

it didn't ketch meh but i was still trying to kill it on the screen  :rotfl:

Offline legal alien

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 01:53:26 PM »
england score. i know a goal was coming on the  play , but i thought beckham woulda score it himself from that free kick

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 01:53:31 PM »
Jermaine DeFoe is giving the American defense fits... three free kicks earned around the box.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 01:56:45 PM »

:devil:
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 01:58:13 PM »
people can watch online

http://www.channelsurfing.net/watch-star-sports-test.html

steups....dem kinda ting ban at my place of work...  :(
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 02:00:12 PM »
Oh shit, all yuh eh see Rooney's crushing tackle just now?
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2008, 02:06:02 PM »
England 1 - Fulham 0, oops I mean USA  ;D

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2008, 02:23:45 PM »
hope them boys watching the game, I like how US hustling the ball and forcing the play

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2008, 02:25:18 PM »
2-0 England....thru ball from Gareth Barry to Captain Fantastic who slots it home in the 59'

Offline legal alien

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2008, 02:28:17 PM »
goal gerrard.he make it look real easy

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2008, 02:37:40 PM »
2-0 England....thru ball from Gareth Barry to Captain Fantastic who slots it home in the 59'

heh heh heh....GO ENGLAND!!!... :devil: :devil:
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2008, 02:48:29 PM »
America looking lost....they haven't mounted anything resembling a cohesive attack whole game.  This mix of players on the field today didn't work.

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2008, 03:09:04 PM »
I don't see any football on dat link.  Is it still on? Am I to late?
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2008, 04:10:00 PM »
I don't see any football on dat link. Is it still on? Am I to late?

I did not see any football on the field either...........any link?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2008, 04:13:20 PM »
I don't see any football on dat link. Is it still on? Am I to late?

I did not see any football on the field either...........any link?

It's over

U.S. delivers a miserable performance at Wembley
by Jamie Trecker, Fox Sports

Ten years ago, the game on display at Wembley this evening simply would not have been played.

Then, the USA weren't taken seriously as an opponent, surely not for the likes of a proud England side.

How things have changed. Tonight in London, the English fans and press will likely make hay out of the result of this turgid friendly, a 2-0 win for the homers. When you're desperate, many things can look better than they are.

This is an England side that isn't very good. The players know it, the fans know it, and the FA is beginning to sense it. That's why these little confidence-boosters — games against a moderate opponent (the USA) and an outright outsider (Trinidad and Tobago) — were scheduled and they will be treated this next week as important bench marks in the Fabio Capello era.

Of course, once that ball gets kicked off in Basel in two weeks, the whinging will start anew and the hard truth will hit home, but that's life when your national team gets an enforced summer off.

For the Yanks, well, they have nothing to lose right now. They aren't very good either, but it's going to be difficult for them not to qualify for the 2010 World Cup because they're in CONCACAF. They desperately need matches against high-caliber teams to guard against complacency at the very least.

That they also need a wholesale shakeup to get to the next level is not the sort of thing that can be accomplished in one match, or even one year, so credit coach Bob Bradley for playing against good teams, on the road.

But tonight was an unsatisfying affair altogether. The English looked stiff and unhappy, perhaps wishing that they were on the beach rather than in front of a disappointing crowd at Wembley. And the USA looked, well, like the same USA we all saw in Germany two years ago.

The usual miseries that plague the Americans were on display, and fully exploited by even this lackluster English side. There was an over-reliance on set pieces to create scoring chances, a criminal lack of ideas and service up top, an inability to hold the ball in midfield and the mental lapses on defense that have become the trademark of the USA.

Each would be damaging enough on its own. Taken in concert, they are ruinous.

What's worse, we've seen them long enough to begin to believe that they could be insoluble.

Two errors led to England's first goal. A stupid foul that gave David Beckham the chance to serve the ball in, and then Carlos Bocanegra's drifting away from John Terry to give the England captain a free header to the near post.

The second goal was simply a case of the American back line getting caught out, again.

Gareth Barry saw the gap, and slotted a nice ball to Steven Gerrard, who knows how to score. Brad Guzan, the halftime switch in the nets, had no chance and no help, either. These are the kind of mistakes that plague poor teams bedeviled by opposing speed and technique.

International Friendlies
Mon., May 26
Sweden 1-0 Slovenia    Recap
Poland 1-1 Macedonia    Recap
Tue., May 27
Germany 2-2 Belarus    Recap
France 2-0 Ecuador    Recap
Austria 1-1 Nigeria    Recap
Japan 0-0 Paraguay    Recap
Czech Rep. 2-0 Lithuania    Recap
Poland 1-0 Albania    Recap
Wed., May 28
England 2-0 USA    Recap
Russia 2-1 Serbia    Recap
Thu., May 29
Ireland vs. Colombia    Preview
Finland vs. Turkey    
Holland vs. Denmark    
Fri., Jun. 6
Brazil vs. Venezuela    Preview
Sat., Jun. 7
France vs. Paraguay    Preview
Euro 2008

But as the USA spends all sorts of time in practice working on these issues, the only conclusion an observer can reach is these practices simply are not working. Either the Americans cannot learn, or will not learn, but the coaching staff had better figure it out, and quickly. Right now, all an opponent needs to do these days is watch a single game tape to gain the information needed to pick apart this side.

The English, under Capello, obviously did watch that tape. They did not allow Michael Bradley or Ricardo Clark time on the ball. Knowing that Eddie Johnson is useless, they simply ignored him.

They contained the lone player on the team with vision by double-teaming Clint Dempsey, and then they simply lobbed the ball towards Oguchi Onyewu and Bocanegra, knowing that soon enough, their clumsiness would give England all the chances they needed. Tim Howard is a fine enough 'keeper, but he's not a magician.

Yes, the absence of Landon Donovan was important. With him on the field Dempsey can play more of a slashing role and get behind defenses. Without Donovan, the U.S. had no one apparently capable of holding the ball or making a creative pass out of midfield. Too often the 'creativity' was a hopeful ball forward, and it was just as often easily played by the England defense.

There was little mystery coming into this game as to what the result would be. The USA rarely beats the English, and England really needed a win. What is mystifying is why so many of the American players — especially those in the shop window — could not bring a better performance to bear.

The USA lacked spark and any sort of pressure. DaMarcus Beasley, who scored for Rangers in the Scottish Cup final last week, was nearly invisible. Bradley, who is being scouted by British clubs after a fine season at Heerenveen, was sub-par. Until the introduction of Freddy Adu, there was no pizzazz up top, and until Frankie Hejduk was brought on for Steve Cherundolo, there was no attack out of the back.

Be certain that the players and coaching staff will mutter the same, rote homilies to the press after the match. The staff will have been said to have had 'a good look at players' as if someone like Howard was an unknown. There will have been 'positives' to take away, even if those same positives elude any sentient viewer. Yada yada yada.

Out of the spotlight, however, I have to believe that Bradley and his coaching staff will know exactly what happened in front of the world tonight.

The truth is that the USA was simply irrelevant and passionless. They will get roasted in England tomorrow and will fully deserve it. That they probably will skate here at home is even more damaging, as it reinforces the feeling among the players and staff that they are accountable to no one.

That is damning. Sadly, no one in position of authority at U.S. Soccer has the guts to publicly acknowledge a failure when they see one.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2008, 04:32:39 PM »
Game live on ESPN classic now.  Always good to see Sir Bobby  :beermug:  he just presented Becks with an award in acknowledgement of his 100th cap for England.

Kinda poignant hearing the Star Spangled Banner on English soil.   Dunno who that Vivica Fox-looking chick is, but she butchered that anthem.  Just terrible.

That was Kelly Rowlands (from Destiny's child?)

Gotta say that the World Cup Soca Warriors would beat those yanks. Not sure about the new look team, as I haven't seen them play. But I bet Stern, Kenwyne and Scottie would score against that defence. Even with the switches England will make, I think it will be an entertaining match on sunday. Although some of the English guys may not be as well known as Lampard and co, I think the younger talent will be interesting to watch. 

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2008, 05:03:43 PM »
i watched pretty much the entire game and read some reports/blogs of US "soccer" reporters.

i can't believe some of them called the english performance 'lacklustre' and claimed that this is not a good english team. after a gruelling season with man utd and chelsea coming off a long champions league final i thought it was a pretty impressive showing from england and their players.

i think the US should really look at this game and realize that their performance in this game is reflective of why they are not taken seriously.

1]; } ?>