April 18, 2024, 06:58:28 PM

Author Topic: Yorke, Latas among embittered W/Cup heroes.  (Read 5108 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Yorke, Latas among embittered W/Cup heroes.
« on: May 29, 2008, 04:01:39 AM »
Yorke, Latas among embittered W/Cup heroes.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).
[/size]

Disenchanted

The absences of 2006 World Cup captain Dwight Yorke and football icon Russell Latapy, a past national skipper, from the June 1 Centennial match against England at the Hasely Crawford Stadium is, according to a source, another indicator of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation's (T&TFF) poor relationship with its star players.

FIFA vice-president and T&TFF special advisor Jack Warner promised Yorke, T&T's most celebrated player, a 45 minute cameo for the exhibition match but his participation was eventually ruled out in mid-week. The Sunderland player and ex-Manchester United treble winner, according to the source, failed to agree on an appearance fee with the T&TFF while he was also unwilling to join the "Soca Warriors" in camp.

The 36-year-old player preferred to link up with the squad on the eve of the contest, which apparently did not go down well with the present technical staff headed by Colombian coach Francisco Maturana.

Latapy, who refused to even discuss the possibility of playing with T&TFF special advisor and FIFA vice-president Jack Warner, is understood to be furious at being passed over for the post of national coach. The 40-year-old Falkirk player initially refused to play under former coach Leo Beenhakker unless he was made an assistant coach but relented in time to help the Warriors book a place in the prestigious German tournament.

Both players were understood to have agreed different match contracts than their 21 teammates for the 2006 World Cup and, according to the source, are yet to be paid in full.

The T&TFF's 100-year existence is littered with such divisions between players and administrators.

Midfielder Leroy De Leon, the country's first international football star, refused to play in the 1974 World Cup qualifying campaign after growing disillusioned at the local governing body's failure to settle their debts to him. His gifted contemporaries, Everald "Gally" Cummings and Steve David also saw their international careers end on bitter terms unrelated to their ability on the field.

And, although there is expected to be a T&TFF tribute to Yorke on Sunday, his World Cup teammates are unhappy at their exclusions.

Thirty-year-old defender Brent Sancho, whose dreadlocks were infamously tugged before Peter Crouch scored the opener in England's 2-0 win in Germany, will gain admittance to the Hasely Crawford Stadium on June 1 but as a television commentator.

His World Cup counterparts, Densill Theobald, Chris Birchall, Ian Cox, Anthony Wolfe and Cyd Gray were left to source their own means of entry.

"I think it is disappointing," said Sancho, who was blacklisted after the World Cup and has not represented his country since the tournament. "You would think that we would have been invited for such a big occasion. And not just us but the 1991 (Under-21) and the 1974 teams and so on who also fought hard and did their nation proud."

Gray was even more forthright.

"I was trying to get a ticket but, if I don't get one, I won't go," said Gray. "I have no interest in paying to watch a game after what I did for this country."

Yorke and Latapy's unique talents have always enjoyed a degree of latitude from Warner who admitted to allowing them various perks including bookings in separate hotels to their teammates.

But Yorke refused to play in the 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup without his blacklisted teammates and felt disenchanted enough to effectively rule himself out of Sunday's friendly although Warner instructed Maturana to play the star.

It is uncertain whether the absences of past and present football heroes would make any difference to the T&TFF's party on June 1.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 04:28:36 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Yorke, Latas among embittered W/Cup heroes.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 05:59:56 AM »
Well well well !!!!

Very interesting read......

I hate the TTFF !!!!! I really hope Mr Warner fall so hard he would be facing the Devil himself...

Hope Sancho give us a bling on here (Flex site) seeing that he will be the television commentator. With his black shirt too...  :rotfl:
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 06:12:55 AM by Sando »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 07:33:18 AM »
When I read dat last nite I remember peeps wantin 2 know why dey was not on d blacklist. We know now. Y 4 all dey dealings wit TTT feel he woulda honor dat agreement.

Dey betta show Sancho in we black juzzy
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 07:43:18 AM »
Ohho

The star boy mentality ent fix yet

One player vex he ent get Maturana wuk, next one coming day before to say g'day lads.

Ok I understand why Maturana blank them, carry on...

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 09:15:11 AM »
Latas eh want to start wit a small club team first or nuttin? Straight from coaching Falkirk reserves to international ball?

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 09:19:23 AM »
Latas eh want to start wit a small club team first or nuttin? Straight from coaching Falkirk reserves to international ball?
Right now With latas ability he can coach any team he wants.. until he does and fail he have my support!!! :devil: :devil: :beermug:
All American

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 09:20:37 AM »

Who was Rijkaard and Van Basten coaching before Holland?

Klinsmann and Voeller before Germany?

Bilic before Croatia?

Donadoni before Italy?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 09:26:33 AM »
I eh know we have a career path 2 reach headdddddddd coach.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 11:30:26 AM »
Ohho

One player vex he ent get Maturana wuk, next one coming day before to say g'day lads.

Agreed.

Not sure how accurate this account is, but as reported

The Sunderland player and ex-Manchester United treble winner, according to the source, failed to agree on an appearance fee with the T&TFF while he was also unwilling to join the "Soca Warriors" in camp.

The 36-year-old player preferred to link up with the squad on the eve of the contest
, which apparently did not go down well with the present technical staff headed by Colombian coach Francisco Maturana.

Latapy, who refused to even discuss the possibility of playing with T&TFF special advisor and FIFA vice-president Jack Warner, is understood to be furious at being passed over for the post of national coach. The 40-year-old Falkirk player initially refused to play under former coach Leo Beenhakker unless he was made an assistant coach but relented in time to help the Warriors book a place in the prestigious German tournament.

...this really doesn't sit right with me.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 11:38:04 AM »
Ohho

Agreed.

Not sure how accurate this account is, but as reported

The Sunderland player and ex-Manchester United treble winner, according to the source, failed to agree on an appearance fee with the T&TFF while he was also unwilling to join the "Soca Warriors" in camp.

The 36-year-old player preferred to link up with the squad on the eve of the contest
, which apparently did not go down well with the present technical staff headed by Colombian coach Francisco Maturana.

...this really doesn't sit right with me.
Or he just wasn't taking the game seriously. Fete match ting, nuh. After all he was invited as a 'guest' player.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 11:39:07 AM »

Who was Rijkaard and Van Basten coaching before Holland?

Klinsmann and Voeller before Germany?

Bilic before Croatia?

Donadoni before Italy?
I ain't saying he incapable of doing the job. But "furious"? Really?! What coaching credentials he carrying dat would make his rejection so infuriating?

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
DISENCHANTED
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 02:15:42 PM »
DISENCHANTED
Yorke, Latas among embittered W/Cup heroes
Lasana Liburd

The absences of 2006 World Cup captain Dwight Yorke and football icon Russell Latapy, a past national skipper, from the June 1 Centennial match against England at the Hasely Crawford Stadium is, according to a source, another indicator of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation's (T&TFF) poor relationship with its star players.

FIFA vice-president and T&TFF special advisor Jack Warner promised Yorke, T&T's most celebrated player, a 45 minute cameo for the exhibition match but his participation was eventually ruled out in mid-week. The Sunderland player and ex-Manchester United treble winner, according to the source, failed to agree on an appearance fee with the T&TFF while he was also unwilling to join the "Soca Warriors" in camp.

The 36-year-old player preferred to link up with the squad on the eve of the contest, which apparently did not go down well with the present technical staff headed by Colombian coach Francisco Maturana.

Both players were understood to have agreed different match contracts than their 21 teammates for the 2006 World Cup and, according to the source, are yet to be paid in full.

The T&TFF's 100-year existence is littered with such divisions between players and administrators.

Midfielder Leroy De Leon, the country's first international football star, refused to play in the 1974 World Cup qualifying campaign after growing disillusioned at the local governing body's failure to settle their debts to him. His gifted contemporaries, Everald "Gally" Cummings and Steve David also saw their international careers end on bitter terms unrelated to their ability on the field.

And, although there is expected to be a T&TFF tribute to Yorke on Sunday, his World Cup teammates are unhappy at their exclusions.

Thirty-year-old defender Brent Sancho, whose dreadlocks were infamously tugged before Peter Crouch scored the opener in England's 2-0 win in Germany, will gain admittance to the Hasely Crawford Stadium on June 1 but as a television commentator.

His World Cup counterparts, Densill Theobald, Chris Birchall, Ian Cox, Anthony Wolfe and Cyd Gray were left to source their own means of entry.

"I think it is disappointing," said Sancho, who was blacklisted after the World Cup and has not represented his country since the tournament. "You would think that we would have been invited for such a big occasion. And not just us but the 1991 (Under-21) and the 1974 teams and so on who also fought hard and did their nation proud."

Gray was even more forthright.

"I was trying to get a ticket but, if I don't get one, I won't go," said Gray. "I have no interest in paying to watch a game after what I did for this country."

Yorke and Latapy's unique talents have always enjoyed a degree of latitude from Warner who admitted to allowing them various perks including bookings in separate hotels to their teammates.

But Yorke refused to play in the 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup without his blacklisted teammates and felt disenchanted enough to effectively rule himself out of Sunday's friendly although Warner instructed Maturana to play the star.

It is uncertain whether the absences of past and present football heroes would make any difference to the T&TFF's party on June 1.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 06:45:19 PM »
Ever taught dat was d carrot TTT dangle 2 get him 2 come back

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 06:57:48 PM »
Ohho

Ah friendly match....guess players,wuz de big deal  ??? ....and is Dwight and Latas dat blank Paco ,jackass warner and de TeefinTrinbago F0ckupFederation...not de odda way rong.

BIG UP DWIGHT AND LATAS AND ALL ORIGINAL AND PRESENT SOCA WARRIORS ...................FACK TTFF AND JACKASS WARNER....carry on
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 06:59:37 PM by berris »
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 04:50:09 PM »

I really wanted to see Dwight in this game; first of all for the level of play in the game itself and secondly for the occasion.  A big occasion with a scrappy midfield is not entertaining.

1]; } ?>