March 29, 2024, 05:34:18 AM

Author Topic: Discarded striker Glen on fire in MLS.  (Read 4387 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Discarded striker Glen on fire in MLS.
« on: September 05, 2005, 06:05:15 AM »
Discarded striker Glen on fire in MLS.
By: Ian Prescott (Express).
[/size]

Dropped by Dutchman Leo Beenhakker, Cornell Glen is using his dismissal from the Trinidad and Tobago national football team as motivation to score goals for his American club, Columbus Crew, and also to appeal to the Dutchman to re-consider his decision.
While Trinidad and Tobago were beating Guatemala 3-2 in a World Cup qualifier on Saturday, the former "Warrior' was on fire for the Crew. Scoring one goal and creating the other two, Glen was named Fox Sports Honda MVP of the round of Major League Soccer (MLS) matches played last weekend. He led his team to a commanding 3-0 win over Chivas USA at the Home Depot Centre in Carson, California.
Using his breathtaking pace, Glen broke through the left side of the Chivas USA penalty area at least three times, scoring his team's opening goal by putting the ball through the legs of the goalkeeper, and later drawing desperate defenders before teeing up two goals for team-mate John Wolyniec. Glen's pace gave him at least two other chances, which were stopped by Chivas keeper Sergio Garcia.
Afterwards, Robert Warzycha, the Crew's interim coach, spoke highly of Glen's contribution. "Cornell is fast and when he's into the game, he's one of the best players on the field."
Playing alongside Glen paid dividends for striker Wolyniec and he too had only good things to say about the Trinidadian, who served him two goals on a platter.
"Cornell is so fast and I just have to be confident that he's going to beat his man and try to put myself in a good spot and see where the ball ends up and try to put it away," said Wolyniec.
"When you have three forwards and the guys on the outside have as much speed as Cornell and Marcus (Storey), if you get the ball to them early, it's off to the races."
Glen, who was a consistent threat in Chivas' third of the field, is playing with a mission. He said that his aim is to once again make Beenhakker pay attention to what he is doing.
"I'm trying to get back in form and score some goals to get back on the national team and also to make it to the playoffs," said the Trinidad and Tobago national. "That's what's driving me right now."
The young striker has registered just one goal for the Trinidad and Tobago national team. But in his time at local professional club CL Financial Jabloteh, he led them to consecutive league championships in 2002 and 2003, scoring 11 goals in 2002 and then raising his tally to 26 a year later.
Glen also spent two years with Adsanjonese in Portugal. He moved to the United States after catching the eye of the Americans when scoring a first half hat trick against the Chicago Fire to carry Jabloteh to a 5-2 win, in the first leg of the CONCACAF Champions Cup quarterfinal series in Port-of-Spain.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Discarded striker Glen on fire in MLS.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 06:26:03 AM »
I saw those highlights last night on foxsport news.  De man looing good, but de thing is, if what i have been hearing is true, then he still will not make that Trinidad side!

by de way, who will he replace?

Kenwyne Jones?
Scott Sealey?
Stern John?
Jason Scotland? (who came on and played a cracker on saturday!)
dwight Yorke?
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 06:49:57 AM »
Andre boy that is a good question.. But EVERYONE has to admit that Cornell Glen is PLAYING some serious BAll.. No jokey ball, like certain people whose name I wont mention, but SERIOUS BALL. De  man is ah beast...

How is Kenwyne's Injury going. ?. When will he be ok again .?

Anyway, I dunno who GLEN will replace, but in my oppinon, HE must Be on the Team.. He Real good.. the type and Quality of his goals alone says that...
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Warrior till death

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIOR NATION MEMBER #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 06:54:49 AM »
Glenn may be a good striker in the us but not for t&t
you ppl have to understand that the service in columbus has much more quality than the service here...therefore you will not see glenn putting much in the back of the net for t&t as a striker and the coach will know!
so youall are just talking about a senseless topic

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Update on Kenwyne's injury
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 06:57:26 AM »
How is Kenwyne's Injury going. ?. When will he be ok again .?

Southampton FC

He is due to start running today and hopes to resume training in midweek. He is expected to be fit for Saturday's Southampton game against QPR.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline oconnorg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 06:59:23 AM »
Glenn may be a good striker in the us but not for t&t
you ppl have to understand that the service in columbus has much more quality than the service here...therefore you will not see glenn putting much in the back of the net for t&t as a striker and the coach will know!
so youall are just talking about a senseless topic

Doesnt Senor Stern Need proper services too?.. And I dont totally agree with you assesment in GLEN being a man dependant on services. GLEN creates his own chances.

THANK TALLMAN fuh de update.!

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 07:13:07 AM »

Doesnt Senor Stern Need proper services too?.. And I dont totally agree with you assesment in GLEN being a man dependant on services. GLEN creates his own chances.

see the point is we have so much strikers that do better than him when plying for t&t there is no demand for any more strikers... Glen is definitely not a consistent striker and cannot be compared to John who has tons more experience and ball control ....
to answer your question about Stern John......right now there is a link between He, Latas and Yorke therefore he is recieving the right services hence putting those 2 in the back of the net

Sealy, {Jones}, Yorke, John , Scotland are all playing better right now
and we also have Latas so there is really no need for Glen
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 07:23:14 AM by Latas is d boss »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 07:15:14 AM »
but dont they play geln on the left wing for columbus?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2005, 07:17:22 AM »

glen plays LF
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 07:21:34 AM by Latas is d boss »

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2005, 07:22:15 AM »
yep..they play 3 strikers and glen hugs the left...wolyniec is the central striker and Marcus Storey plays on the right

Offline oconnorg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2005, 07:41:40 AM »

see the point is we have so much strikers that do better than him when plying for t&t there is no demand for any more strikers... Glen is definitely not a consistent striker and cannot be compared to John who has tons more experience and ball control ....
to answer your question about Stern John......right now there is a link between He, Latas and Yorke therefore he is recieving the right services hence putting those 2 in the back of the net

Sealy, {Jones}, Yorke, John , Scotland are all playing better right now
and we also have Latas so there is really no need for Glen

But mih boy, leh we not forget eh.. Stern man Marker was not even pon de field..  Stern did not really shake him self free to recieve any passes.

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2005, 08:14:46 AM »
I saw those highlights last night on foxsport news.  De man looing good, but de thing is, if what i have been hearing is true, then he still will not make that Trinidad side!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what are you hearing? I take it that it is not football related? Could it be a discipline issue? or attitude?

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2005, 08:15:58 AM »
But mih boy, leh we not forget eh.. Stern man Marker was not even pon de field.. Stern did not really shake him self free to recieve any passes.

oh gosh!!! again??????  the fact that it had a man appointed to mark the man ent tell you nothin?  How much times big international men get mark out of a game?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2005, 08:33:04 AM »
The young striker has registered just one goal for the Trinidad and Tobago national team.

Cornell has scored 11 goals in 34 appearances fuh T&T. Maybe he mean one goal under Beenhakker.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2005, 08:37:05 AM »
Dropped by Dutchman Leo Beenhakker, Cornell Glen is using his dismissal from the Trinidad and Tobago national football team as motivation to score goals for his American club, Columbus Crew, and also to appeal to the Dutchman to re-consider his decision.
Using his breathtaking pace, Glen broke through the left side of the Chivas USA penalty area at least three times, scoring his team's opening goal by putting the ball through the legs of the goalkeeper, and later drawing desperate defenders before teeing up two goals for team-mate John Wolyniec. Glen's pace gave him at least two other chances, which were stopped by Chivas keeper Sergio Garcia.
Afterwards, Robert Warzycha, the Crew's interim coach, spoke highly of Glen's contribution. "Cornell is fast and when he's into the game, he's one of the best players on the field."Playing alongside Glen paid dividends for striker Wolyniec and he too had only good things to say about the Trinidadian, who served him two goals on a platter.
"Cornell is so fast and I just have to be confident that he's going to beat his man and try to put myself in a good spot and see where the ball ends up and try to put it away," said Wolyniec.
"When you have three forwards and the guys on the outside have as much speed as Cornell and Marcus (Storey), if you get the ball to them early, it's off to the races."
Glen, who was a consistent threat in Chivas' third of the field, is playing with a mission. He said that his aim is to once again make Beenhakker pay attention to what he is doing.
"I'm trying to get back in form and score some goals to get back on the national team and also to make it to the playoffs," said the Trinidad and Tobago national. "That's what's driving me right now."[/b]Spain.

How could one make a case not to include Glen on this squad when his speed, physical presence and his ability to score is so obvious?
There may be reasons that we are not privy to which is excluding him from the squad at
this time. If the TTFF could simply say tell us that for disciplinary reasons, or fitness level is precluding the man from the team at this time, we could understand and move on but when one is kept in the dark and fed manure, it is difficult to see the light or understand the logic for his exclusion.

Read that last statement again: Glen is one of the few overseas professional players who has come out and say that he is playing with this type of motivation so as to make the NATIONAL TEAM. Many players usually appease their club's managers by saying that club comes first  etc...blah blah blah.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 08:54:50 AM by Tallman »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2005, 09:00:58 AM »
Read that last statement again: Glen is one of the few overseas professional players who has come out and say that he is playing with this type of motivation so as to make the NATIONAL TEAM. Many players usually appease their club's managers by saying that club comes first  etc...blah blah blah.

In general, players are alway eagerly concerned about being on the national team when World Cup is coming up. Look at Jason Scotland. He was called in as a replacement for Kenwyne Jones and he accepted de offer. Last year when he was called in as a last-minute replacement for de matches against Iraq and Scotland, he declined beacause he felt that he should have been an automatic pick. Of course, ah sure his work permit fiasco made it easy for him to make de decision.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2005, 09:01:46 AM »

But mih boy, leh we not forget eh.. Stern man Marker was not even pon de field..  Stern did not really shake him self free to recieve any passes.

At least hasd the control to bring it down from his chest and put away d volley in d back of the net pass d keeper
a goal is a goal.....

Offline oconnorg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2005, 09:07:33 AM »
OKay okay..Leh we all drink ah  :beermug: And agree to disagree...

I still fine GLEN supposed to be On this team though!.

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2005, 09:17:56 AM »
More and more I am beginning to see the quality of goals that are being scored in the MLS and I must say the quality is getting better, players are stepping up and producing some quality strikes GLENN is no exception, his goals have been excellent.

I see no reason for him to stay out of the team, we will have more options up front. Sealy is good but when you look at his goals they are mostly tap ins or rebounds.

Glenn would charge at defenders at full speed and most times out run defenders and shoot from either foot, he is physically intimidating and has a clinical finish. I can only see him getting better, and I am certain he may be picked up by a European team
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 09:20:18 AM by grskywalker »

Offline oconnorg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2005, 09:26:41 AM »
Sealy is Like A garbage man, he WILL clean up ANy mess that is made... Serious poacher.. He is excellent at that.!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 12:49:10 PM by oconnorg »

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2005, 12:06:10 PM »
 The whole Cornell Glen issue is a complicated one. The advantage is that our national team have some depth and competition which would make men play harder for their pick. I only hope in the future when we need Cornell Glen he doesn't turn his back on us, and say 'BACK THEN THEY DIDN'T WANT ME !!'(and it could happen)  For all that he has done I think he deserves to be on the national team . Kenwyne Jones doesn't really score for us but he does score for Southhampton, and if you use the same logic and say that Cornell Glen only performing for Columbus, then Kenwyne should not get chosen either.Beenhakker doing a good job, and if he thinks that leaving out Glen is the best thing for the team, then so be it. He(Glen) start playing better since he get drop and i hope he continue because he could only get better, and I would like to see him back in national colours for the World Cup...Go T&T

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2005, 12:06:33 PM »
I too think Glen should be on this team, bringing him on late in the 2nd half when men legs are getting tired and having him running at the goal and chasing down some of the long balls will be an asset to the team.
If it is that he cannot be added to the current team without taking somebody's spot, then I would say sit down young Sealy, but we could use Glen's speed and desire to score on TnT.

Offline grim

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2005, 08:14:26 AM »
 The problem i have is men like to pick team because a man is dey fren or dey like him . If we talking pure football . Cornell is a much better sub than Sealy right now . Tell me one major impression Sealy has made since he is in the mix .
 Cornell with service from Lata's will poison any tiring defence , Sealy is just not as impactfull .

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2005, 08:30:59 AM »
The problem i have is men like to pick team because a man is dey fren or dey like him . If we talking pure football . Cornell is a much better sub than Sealy right now . Tell me one major impression Sealy has made since he is in the mix .
 Cornell with service from Lata's will poison any tiring defence , Sealy is just not as impactfull .

Cornell playing like how Stern used to play, scoring, hustling man of the ball and just pure poison

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2005, 10:44:16 AM »

It already sound like is not football related issues why he not on the team so talking about who he will replace doh make sense if is something else.

What happen to the weak left side we have....and is dey he playing?  Dat talk done.
When we find out the real reason...today, tomorrow...10 years from now....it doh matter.  Glenn have motivation to just keep on scoring and I hope he does.  If he earn his way back into this team that would be great....that doh happen too often....change a coach mind.

The only thing football related I cud see keeping him out is if the play breaks down because of his control or passing in training but I just guessing. 

1]; } ?>