April 28, 2024, 03:15:35 PM

Author Topic: Jones backs Yorke criticism.  (Read 970 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Jones backs Yorke criticism.
« on: June 10, 2008, 04:51:40 AM »
Jones backs Yorke criticism.
By: eatsleepsport.com
[/size]

Kenwyne Jones has agreed with Sunderland team-mate Dwight Yorke's claims that he needs to improve to be considered a quality striker.

The Trinidad & Tobago international, who is set to undergo a second scan on the knee injury he suffered in a friendly against England on June 1, enjoyed a successful first season in the Premier League with the Black Cats after boss Roy Keane forked out £6 million to Southampton for his services last summer.

Liverpool are amongst some of the top clubs thought to be interested in trying to take Jones away from the Stadium of Light, amid suggestions he is similar to Chelsea's Ivory Coast striker Didier Drogba. However, his team-mate and compatriot Yorke has attempted to bring Jones back to earth by claiming he is far from being in the Drogba mould.

"Seven goals isn't good enough. Drogba scores 20-plus goals every season and that is what Kenwyne has to do." Yorke said.

"Until he starts doing that he shouldn't start getting carried away with himself.

"Seven goals is an extremely poor season and if you are talking about a top striker and someone fulfilling obvious potential, and you have people around him ranting and raving about him, he needs to do a lot better."

Jones has since responded to Yorke's claims and says he fully agrees with the former Manchester United and Aston Villa frontman's opinion.

"It was a wonderful season for me and the club as we defied the odds a bit," said Jones. "The Drogba comparison was one I heard every week, and it's nice to be mentioned with someone like that, but I have to forge my own way.

"There have been links with a lot of people. It's good that others are taking notice of what I am doing.

"No-one has their career in their own hands. It's more like destiny.

"But I can speak to someone like Dwight on how to handle things on and off the pitch and I believe I need to improve every part of my game."

Meanwhile, Jones is currently awaiting scan results on a knee injury suffered during his country's recent 3-0 friendly defeat by England. Jones returned from his native Trinidad & Tobago over the weekend after injuring the ligaments in his right knee during England's recent friendly in Port of Spain.

While a first scan in the Caribbean confirmed ligament damage, the extent of the problem was unclear because of the swelling around Jones' knee.

advertisementThat swelling has now subsided sufficiently to enable a second scan to provide a much clearer picture of the problem, and Sunderland's medical staff are hoping today's tests will reveal damage to Jones' medial ligaments rather than his cruciates.

Medial damage would give the striker a chance of being fit by mid-to-late August. Cruciate damage, on the other hand, could mean he was ruled out for at least the first half of the season.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline kandi_tt

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jones backs Yorke criticism.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 09:13:14 PM »
dunno if it was posted already...

Jones takes Dwight slight on chin

Mon 09 Jun, 08:15 AM

Sunderland striker Kenwyne Jones admits he still has a lot of improvements to make after coming in for criticism from team-mate Dwight Yorke.Jones is highly-rated by Black Cats boss Roy Keane with the player reportedly attracting interest from Liverpool and earning comparisons to Chelsea star Didier Drogba

Yorke has launched a shock attack on his Black Cats pal, saying the striker's goal return last season was not good enough.

Former Manchester United and Aston Villa hitman Yorke believes Jones is still far from the finished article and says that the ex-Southampton man must improve if he wants to live up all the hype surrounding him.

"People have talked about him being the new Didier Drogba but you don't earn that type of reputation after one season in the Premier League and you've scored only seven goals," Yorke told the Daily Star on Sunday.

"Seven goals isn't good enough. Drogba scores 20-plus goals every season and that is what Kenwyne has to do.

"Until he starts doing that he shouldn't start getting carried away with himself.

"Seven goals is an extremely poor season and if you are talking about a top striker and someone fulfilling obvious potential, and you have people around him ranting and raving about him, he needs to do a lot better."

Jones agrees with Yorke that there a lot of aspects of his game he needs to improve and he says he is flattered to be linked with a move to the likes of Liverpool.

"It was a wonderful season for me and the club as we defied the odds a bit," said Jones. "The Drogba comparison was one I heard every week, and it's nice to be mentioned with someone like that, but I have to forge my own way.

"There have been links with a lot of people. It's good that others are taking notice of what I am doing.

"No-one has their career in their own hands. It's more like destiny.

"But I can speak to someone like Dwight on how to handle things on and off the pitch and I believe I need to improve every part of my game."

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/09062008/1/jones-takes-dwight-slight-chin.html
iNnOcEnT aNd UnInFoRmEd...

1]; } ?>