April 30, 2024, 12:48:47 PM

Author Topic: Scouts looking at potential signings for TT vs England game  (Read 3106 times)

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
I'd heard rumours of this, but here's at least one confirmation. Thanks to the Soca Warriors at the World Cup and Kenwyne Jones this last season, more people are viewing Trinidad and the Caribbean as a viable market for good (although cheap) players.

Money-conscious Blackwell

Globe-trotter: Manager Kevin Blackwell is clocking up the air miles in pursuit of new talent for United

Date: 31 May 2008
By James Shield

HAVING vowed to treat the club's money with the same care he would his own, Sheffield United manager Kevin Blackwell has left himself precious little room for error in the transfer market.

So rather than place his trust in recommendations from agents and fixers, who possibly enjoy a vested interest in placing players at Bramall Lane, Blackwell is preparing to embark on a punishing round-the-world trip to ensure those being considered for transfers to South Yorkshire possess the required pedigree.

Port of Spain, where Trinidad and Tobago host England in a friendly international fixture tomorrow, is the first destination on Blackwell's cluttered itinerary.

Stopovers in Brazil and Dubai are also planned as part of an exhaustive search for potential signings.

"I'll be putting in the miles this summer," he said.

"I'm a big believer in actually seeing people you might be interested in yourself rather than leaving that to others.

"If you want to make a judgement then you have to have seen the person in action yourself.

"In my opinion, there's no other way.

"You can't get a proper idea about what somebody may or not be capable of by watching them on a video or DVD.

"Nobody is going to out anything bad in there are they?

"And, as manager, ultimately it is your responsibility to try and bring in the right people.

"So although you will have people filtering certain names out of the system, when push comes to shove I think you have to have seen them in action to be able to make a call."

Blackwell's old-fashioned approach is designed to minimise the element of risk inherent in any purchase as United's board of directors look to strike a balance between supporting their coaching staff in the transfer market and protecting their reputation for sensible financial housekeeping in today's increasingly difficult climate.

Blackwell's insistence on visiting Sao Paulo, where United are applying the finishing touches to their development agreement with the former World Club Champions, suggests Shirecliffe is set to receive its first intake of youngsters from the Cícero Pompeu de Toledo Stadium.

And David Carney, the United midfielder who has suffered from a lack of opportunities since Blackwell's February appointment, will be pleased to learn that Australia's World Cup qualifer with Iraq in the UAE is also on his club boss's agenda.

Blackwell's appointment to watch an as yet unidentified player in action against Fabio Capello's side means he will miss the first instalment of the Socceroos' double-header with their Middle East rivals.

But when Pim Verbeek's squad travel to the desert state on June 7 Blackwell will be watching from the stands.

"I'll be watching players on both sides of the Atlantic," Blackwell confirmed.

"It's certainly going to be a very busy time."
Attraction of the Mind gives Respect.
Attraction of the Heart gives Friendship.
Attraction of the Body gives Desire.

Attraction of all Three of them at once …
gives Love.

[

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
Re: Scouts looking at potential signings for TT vs England game
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 05:27:45 AM »
Also, rumours of Portsmouth on the hunt again, from the BBC website:

Pompey are also believed to be at the front of a queue of clubs hoping to sign Khaleem Hyland, after the 18-year-old has pitted his wits against England's midfield for Trinidad & Tobago on Sunday evening. (The Times)
Attraction of the Mind gives Respect.
Attraction of the Heart gives Friendship.
Attraction of the Body gives Desire.

Attraction of all Three of them at once …
gives Love.

[

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 05:59:09 AM »
i relly hope yorke's inclusion does not scupper the chances of any of our young soca warriors..especially hyland and guerra who i want to see reach far and not only for footballin reasons

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 06:55:06 AM »
I wont be surprised if I see Hyland in a Pompey shirt next season..he's been training with them for months now

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 10:53:56 PM »
2 words work permit
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 11:02:32 PM »
2 words work permit
One word, caps.  and he's been in every game this year.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 11:07:33 PM »
He have more caps than Jan Michael and he get a hot blank when he did apply. Believe it when I C it
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 02:03:12 AM »
So weary if a club is interested in a young player (who has been capped enough times)what would stop him from acquiring a work permit?..Maybe you right you is one "who has to see it to believe it"  (Now am speaking in general and not specifically bout Hyland)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 02:14:03 AM by Sando prince »

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 04:04:18 AM »
We can all sit here and speculate about who to thank for all of this but deep down inside we all know who.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 07:28:01 AM »
U have 2 define enough since d WC Jan Michael was we keeper when it was time 4 WP D man get a sic blank had 2 go Belguim etc. So based on dat me eh know what enough is unless is d JLO movie all yuh talkin bout

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 07:42:21 AM »
We can all sit here and speculate about who to thank for all of this but deep down inside we all know who.

Who? Mc Commie?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 09:43:50 AM »

Why we must "thank" them? Everybody get free tickets? Jack and the TTFF have done well to get England here, and they pulling their socks up over the last few years and getting good coaches, creating good initiatives for local coaches and players. But it carries a great stain with it......

So when they do well for us as they have on this occassion, yes  lets appreciate, but when they screw up we must call them on that too. Thaqt is the nature of public life. Mr. Warner wishes to take credit for bringing England here but he have yet to take credit for ticket scandals, blacklisting etc. He should stop bigging himself up and just let people quietly appreciate what he has accomplished. After all, in any other World Cup nation securing competitive opposition is part of the JOB of the people who run things.

That said, this whole thing looking like it will turn out a great success for the fans and players, and hopefully the foreign scouts  :)
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline benedicts bwoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 11:12:18 AM »
I really hope dat de YOUNG WARRIORS put up a good showing so that they can improve their profile by playing at a hopefully higher standard than what dey used to !

BLESSING ALL DE WARRIORS TODAY ............FOR DOZE DAT PLAYIN....AN DOZE DAT NOT!

HIGHLY BLESSED... :beermug:

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 11:42:35 AM »
Yeah the ppl on this site,who causing so much ruksion ,that jack actually start doing he blasted job .

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2008, 12:14:55 PM »
Yeah the ppl on this site,who causing so much ruksion ,that jack actually start doing he blasted job .

I thought maybe he was referring tuh Jesus Christ or sumbody.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2008, 02:49:52 PM »
sheffeild united manager confirmed their too. he's on vibes CT

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 04:20:40 PM »

I thought maybe he was referring tuh Jesus Christ or sumbody.

Well praise the lord  :rotfl:
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 10:51:03 PM »
I eh know y peeps want dem 2 leave sweet TNT because dey go just b foreign base and we all know dat is d show dat 2 d Pro League is d real deal Cupid showed dat v England

1]; } ?>