April 29, 2024, 11:21:53 AM

Author Topic: England vs T&T friendly 'not valid'  (Read 6829 times)

Offline thane

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
England vs T&T friendly 'not valid'
« on: June 05, 2008, 01:33:57 AM »
England vs T&T friendly 'not valid'
By: SkySports.
[/size]

Fifa are to investigate whether England's 3-0 victory over Trinidad and Tobago should be allowed to stand as an official international match.

Fifa rules state that no team can use more than six substitutes in international friendlies but it was thought that England and Trinidad and Tobago had been given permission to use seven in Sunday's game at Port of Spain.

Fabio Capello made seven changes during the game and a Fifa spokesman has now revealed that no such deal had been agreed.

"We did not give special dispensation to make up to seven substitutions in the Trinidad and Tobago match," he told The Sun. The Football Association have responded by insisting that they did have Fifa's backing.

Approved

A spokesman said: "The opportunity to use seven substitutes was cleared in advance of the game by Fifa, Trinidad and Tobago representative Jack Warner, the Fifa delegate for the game and the match referee.

"There is no way we would have gone ahead using seven subs without the approval that we were given."

The option to bring on a seventh substitute was given to the sides to mark Trinidad and Tobago's centenary of football.

However, if the game is scrubbed off the record books it would leave international debuts for Stephen Warnock, Dean Ashton, Joe Hart and Phil Jagielka null and void. Jermain Defoe and Gareth Barry's goals would not count and David Beckham's return as captain would be of no value.
Confusion over Trinidad substitutes puts England caps at risk.
The Guardian.co.uk.
[/size]

The quartet of players handed debuts by England in Sunday's friendly against Trinidad & Tobago are in danger of losing their caps after Fifa suggested the match should not be considered an official A international after the visitors used seven substitutes.

The Fifa president, Sepp Blatter, instigated a new rule at the world governing body four years ago restricting countries to only six changes in a game, a move partly prompted as a result of Sven-Goran Eriksson once fielding an entirely new team for the second half of a friendly defeat to Australia at Upton Park five years ago.

The Football Association were under the impression that they had been granted special permission by Fifa to exceed that limit for the match in Port of Spain, which was played ostensibly to celebrate the Trinidad & Tobago Football Federation's centenary. Fabio Capello introduced Joe Hart, Phil Jagielka, David Bentley and Peter Crouch at half-time, with Ashley Young, Theo Walcott and Stephen Warnock brought on during the second half.

However, the governing body were unimpressed at the number of changes made and last night insisted they had not given either side the green light to bend the rules, potentially stripping the game of A international status. "We can confirm that Fifa did not give special dispensation to make up to seven substitutions at the Trinidad & Tobago versus England match," confirmed a spokesman. "We have spoken internally at Fifa about the matter and nobody allowed this to happen."

While the FA will query that stance - they felt they had been instructed prior to the game by a Fifa official that they could stretch to seven subs having originally asked to play 11 - Fifa's assessment would appear to deny Hart, Jagielka, Warnock and Dean Ashton their first caps for their country, Gareth Barry his first goal and Jermain Defoe his brace. Likewise, David Beckham would only have captained his country on 58 occasions.

It would also, in turn, affect England's Fifa world ranking - the national team climbed two places back into the top 10 last night to stand ninth following Capello's first few games in charge. Trinidad & Tobago, who according to some sources had requested the seventh substitute to accommodate Dwight Yorke's introduction, made only six changes in a game played in front of a capacity crowd of 23,000 at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 06:18:04 AM by Flex »

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T & T vs ENGLAND GAME NULL AND VOID!!??
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 01:50:14 AM »
And the bachannal continues...

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 02:19:52 AM »
jeezanages..............I NEVER saw something like this coming
Imagine Jackula is a FIFA VP and he cyar even do tings right
I goin and change up the words of that song.......
"Money for nothing and tickets for free"
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
Re: England vs T&T friendly 'not valid'
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 07:38:10 AM »
All that drama for the England match and it doesnt even count.....lol.

My goodness!!  :o

ah love it!!

ps: I want a refund, cause i paid to see An England vs TnT official friendly!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 07:44:23 AM »
We all knew it was d mudder of all fete match dat is d confirmation rite dey, So a 100 yrs from now when we celebratin 200 years no sign at dat match no where in we records. So when it is asked how we celebrated 100 yrs peeps go have 2 come here 4 d history lesson
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 07:54:14 AM »
go ahead and trust jack warner  :rotfl:

Offline MANAMA

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 08:18:54 AM »
England's 3-0  Trinidad and Tobago  :rotfl:
MANAMA , BAHRAIN

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 08:29:53 AM »
Just so Bahrain come back whey sah and laughin at oui brudder 2 yrs ago man was packin 4 Germany where was all yuh
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 08:41:17 AM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: sour grapes  :D

Just so Bahrain come back whey sah and laughin at oui brudder 2 yrs ago man was packin 4 Germany where was all yuh

jealousy does kill, that loss this hurting dem  :D  :rotfl: as if they could do any better lol
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline MANAMA

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 09:03:35 AM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: sour grapes  :D

jealousy does kill, that loss this hurting dem  :D  :rotfl: as if they could do any better lol

BHARAIN NOW NO:1 IN Asia TOIP

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=36485.0   
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 09:06:15 AM by MANAMA »
MANAMA , BAHRAIN

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 09:14:29 AM »
Jack is ah f@ckin dud!! like yuh forgetting the man from the 3rd world or what, AKA (ah bannana republic) where anything goes.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Reaper2004

• Warrior Nation Enforcer
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 09:15:38 AM »
How much y'all want to bet Craprain will falter later in the Campaign? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 09:43:06 AM »
Allyuh getting tie-up.

Jack know this match wasn't going to count. That is why he was smiling so. Now is more begging from England to get they match to count.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 09:51:16 AM »
Jack is ah f@ckin dud!! like yuh forgetting the man from the 3rd world or what, AKA (ah bannana republic) where anything goes.
that is NOT it at all

absolute power corrupts absolutely
this whole thing ent sitting right
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 10:07:03 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 10:05:33 AM »

ah love it!!

* Chants *  "We war we money right NOW!! "
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Reaper2004

• Warrior Nation Enforcer
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 10:12:24 AM »

ah love it!!

* Chants *  "We war we money right NOW!! "

Yea boy that was not a $300 well spent on Sunday

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 10:17:52 AM »
FIFA did a 180 and the game counts now. They just like to make noise so next time it doesn't happen again.
And of course blame it all the the ref...

Actually it's Wims fault

This should get merged with the other thread on this topic
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 10:20:37 AM by E-man »

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 10:21:18 AM »
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 10:42:31 AM »
FIFA did a 180 and the game counts now. They just like to make noise so next time it doesn't happen again.

Actually it's Wims fault

In the back of my mind I knew this was going to happen... no way they were going to defy Jack.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 10:46:31 AM »

Actually it's Wims fault

In the back of my mind I knew this was going to happen... no way they were going to defy Jack.

How dare dey??!!   ::) steups.
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 10:54:20 AM »
have no idea where to put this but allyuh see in todays express they have a pic of the big flag in the adrenalin magazine and saying is powder posse who brought it out?!
I already wrote a letter to the editor demanding a correction saying is Warrior Nation
Back in Trini...

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 10:54:55 AM »
wim.......wim...........wim
 :devil:

have no idea where to put this but allyuh see in todays express they have a pic of the big flag in the adrenalin magazine and saying is powder posse who brought it out?!
I already wrote a letter to the editor demanding a correction saying is Warrior Nation
TnT journalism is THE BEST
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 11:00:43 AM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline kandi_tt

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 12:18:51 PM »

yeah we already bombard the express with calls and demand a retraction/correction...following up on it
iNnOcEnT aNd UnInFoRmEd...

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 12:48:52 PM »
This is a joke.... you are kidding me..... $ 300 scrimage and KJ get hurt... that ain't funny....

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 12:51:35 PM »
ah made meh tread and call dis game a fete match...............but meh tread get merged and meh topic disappear.................it was a friggin fete match......nobody should view it any other way

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2008, 02:55:10 AM »
England’s victory allowed to stand.
T&T Guardian Reports.

Fifa has announced England’s 3-0 friendly win against Trinidad & Tobago will stand, despite a mistake over the number of substitutions used.

England made one more than the maximum allowed six changes, claiming they had received special dispensation to do so.

Fifa insists that is not the case but says it was a mistake by the referee and will not downgrade the status of the match from an A international. That means four England debutantes will be able to keep their first caps.

Dean Ashton, Joe Hart, Phil Jagielka and Stephen Warnock all made their first appearances for England.

A Fifa statement read: “Fifa can confirm it did not give special dispensation to make up to seven substitutions at the Trinidad & Tobago v England friendly match played on Sunday 1 June 2008.

“The referee of this match confirmed to Fifa that he received no instruction to allow for such a special dispensation, but that it had been a mistake by the referee.

“As Fifa has received no official protest regarding this match, it shall be considered as an official match.”

West Ham striker Ashton started the match, while Manchester City goalkeeper Hart, Everton defender Jagielka and Blackburn left-back Warnock came off the bench in the second half.

England boss Fabio Capello made four changes at half-time, and three more later in the second half.

It was thought Fifa was unhappy and considering whether to downgrade the match as a result.

However, the FA had been under the impression such a decision had been agreed - and it is believed it had originally asked to make 11 changes.

An FA spokesman said: “The fact of the matter is the opportunity to use seven substitutes was cleared in advance of the game by Fifa, Trinidad & Tobago representative Jack Warner, the Fifa delegate for the game and the match referee.

“Trinidad had the same option to use seven subs. There is no way we would have gone ahead with using seven subs without the approval that we were given.”

Had Fifa ruled the match should not be counted as a full international, it would also have robbed Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry of his first goal for his country.

England would also have slipped back down the Fifa world rankings, having moved up two places and regained a place in the top 10 after the victory.

And David Beckham, who was Capello’s surprise choice to captain the side, would have moved back to having led his country on 58 occasions.

The hosts made six changes in the match, which was played in part to celebrate the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation’s centenary.
Why the FA had to swallow its pride with Warner.
By: Lawrence Donegan (guardian.co.uk).

England's trip to Trinidad & Tobago at the weekend was remarkable mostly for the utter irrelevancy of the football match

A great white shark with a reckless streak might have had second thoughts before swimming into the soup of intrigue that immersed England's trip to Trinidad & Tobago at the weekend, a football occasion remarkable mostly for the utter irrelevancy of the football match which broke out in the midst of all the glad-handing.

God knows what it must have been like to be trapped in the middle of it all - for that we will have to wait for the next volume of David Beckham's autobiography - but viewed from afar it looked like a grim business. Even Fabio Capello, the great disciple of the cold, unvarnished truth, was reduced to mouthing a succession of diplomatic platitudes about the usefulness of the trip; about the sincerity of Beckham's appointment as captain; about everything, really.

Thank heavens a 3-0 victory was secured, otherwise the fallout from the trip would have been even uglier. As it stands, the recriminations have hardly been edifying, with everyone involved, the kit man excepted, being accused of crimes of debasement, not least the selling of the nation's football soul in the cause of winning support for the 2018 World Cup bid.

Hard though it must have been for the men from the Football Association to read tales of their own pragmatism, it will have come as some consolation to discover they were not the most severely criticised in this unseemly affair.

No, that distinction belonged to Jack Warner, the "special adviser" of the Trinidad & Tobago Football Federation, the vice-president of Fifa and, it is widely assumed, the man whose personal whim - not to mention the three votes he controls when Fifa comes to decide the site for the 2018 tournament - was the sole reason for England's trip to the Caribbean.

Not that you would realise as much after the trashing of Warner's reputation in recent days, but one should be careful about what one says about the man. He is not, despite impressions to the contrary, the devil incarnate. What he undoubtedly is, however, is a man who has collected enemies through the years, partly because he has battled ferociously for the interests of football in North and Central America and the Caribbean (Concacaf) and partly as a consequence of his involvement in some questionable practices.

There seems little doubt that Warner has stretched the rules to breaking point - there was some wholly unsavoury business which saw him censured for using his position to acquire tickets for the 2006 World Cup which were then sold on by his family-owned travel company - but it is beyond dispute that he is not the only powerful figure in football who has been accused of profiting from his position through the years.

The grim reality of Fifa, a bureaucracy which to the untrained eye seems largely free of any serious legal supervision, is that backs are scratched, favours are exchanged and, occasionally, inconvenient codes of behaviour locked away in the bottom drawer. Such practices are to be condemned, of course, but they must also be confronted, especially if, like the FA, you are seeking the greatest prize Fifa has to offer.

Either you mount your high horse and declare you want nothing to do with such an amoral organisation, or you hold your nose and ride your trusty steed into the swamp. In agreeing to travel to Port of Spain, the FA chose the latter option. For this they should not be ridiculed, but shown a degree of understanding. They have not committed an act of moral cowardice, rather they have recognised the difference between the way we want the world to be and the way the world really is.

It might not have been the proudest moment in the FA's history but it may be one of its most successful, especially with Warner suggesting that the United States - which he is duty-bound as the head of Concacaf to support in any World Cup bid - might want to consider stepping aside in favour of England's 2018 bid. "My message to the USA is to try and make a deal for 2022," he said. "The kind of discussion I would have between England and the US is 'Will you support me in 2022?'"

As interventions go, this hardly sounds decisive but in the netherworld where people like Jack Warner conduct their business it marked what could be a crucial moment in England's efforts to win the 2018 bid. At the very least it was well worth the price of a photo-opportunity with Beckham.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 03:05:23 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

1]; } ?>