March 28, 2024, 06:32:18 AM

Author Topic: Lesson to be learnt from Northern Ireland  (Read 1142 times)

Offline Raul

• Full Warrior
  • ¡Hala Madrid!
    • View Profile
Lesson to be learnt from Northern Ireland
« on: March 27, 2005, 07:54:45 AM »
Fellas,

Last year, when Northern Ireland played us in Tobago, I had the great opportunity to lime with about 8 Irish fellas in the two days leading up to the game.

They are a dedicated group of fans who travel all over the world when their team is playing. The whole two days, all they talk about is their football, their players and how much they worship their team.

So after the game (and after a 0-3 cut arse), we were going our separate ways, and I said to the guys - "Well, we will see you all in Germany!"

And they looked at me in disbelief. I expected them to laugh in my face, Trinidad to Germany?

But in fact, they told me quite frankly, "Raul, we're not going anywhere, we'll never make it to Germany!"

And since then, I could not understand their logic - spend all your money, all your time, travel around the world, worship your team and players, always praying for a win and consistently shedding tears for a team...well knowing that there is no prize at the end of the day, no trophy, no success, no cup and no glory.
I could not understand this....
I could not understand this until my team lost 5-1 last night.

We can all hope and pray for our team and love and worship them, but at the same time, LET US FACE REALITY!

Raul

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
Re: Lesson to be learnt from Northern Ireland
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 09:08:52 AM »
The Difference Raul is this:

Every 4 years Nothern Ireland is in a group with two or three WC qualifiers plus other teams at the same level as them. They are playing a aginst  the likes of England, Spain and France.

Starting this series we were up against Panama and Guatemala for one place. We at least have a good chance. We should not expect to be supporting in vain when we are playing these teams. This is a doable job if we go about it right.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

1]; } ?>