March 28, 2024, 11:50:33 AM

Author Topic: To solve our problem at center defense  (Read 6811 times)

Offline Coach

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
To solve our problem at center defense
« on: September 05, 2005, 01:40:42 PM »
I haven't seen the game against Guatemala as yet, but, from our previous games, one of our main problem was in the center defense position. I would not use Lawrence in the center defense, mainly due to the fact that he is not quick enough for this level of the game. I don't know the pace of Sancho, but I assume he is quicker than Lawrence. My other suggestion for center defense is to play  one of our quick strikers who is being wasted on the bench, this can be done, right now look what we are doing with Dwight, who has played striker all is life. So instead of keeping Sealy, Jones, Glen and Jason on the bench, I would look at one of these guys to play in defense, just for their pace and also, will be much more capable to start our attack, having played against Latas back home, I know that he will encourage more passing and support from our defense, obviously, you will have to coach any player to a new position the  principles of playing that position, these players are pros and I know some players are willing to try, it's just for Leo to have a look at this idea.

Offline jaden

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: To solve our problem at center defense
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 01:47:21 PM »
dwight has not played a striker all his life!
mistakes are stepping stones to success

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 01:52:59 PM »
So instead of keeping Sealy, Jones, Glen and Jason on the bench, I would look at one of these guys to play in defense, just for their pace and also, will be much more capable to start our attack, having played against Latas back home, I know that he will encourage more passing and support from our defense, obviously, you will have to coach any player to a new position the  principles of playing that position, these players are pros and I know some players are willing to try, it's just for Leo to have a look at this idea.

Jones could probably play a half-decent stopper but even that I wouldn't do and he is not fit so it is a moot point. At this level experience counts. The yards that our strikers would have over our defenders in pace theyt would lose in positioning and anticipation because they are not experienced defenders. Not to mention the need to be good at tackling.

Cyd Gray has speed and he is a defender but he is still not able to take over for  Andrews, Lawrence or Sancho because he is not as aware of what good defending requires (basiclly not being a mad man) as those guys.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 01:54:29 PM »

I think Kenwyn Jones could be groomed into a more defensive player...he's played different positions. He played a stopper for our u-17 that hosted the World Cup. I think he can be groomed into a holding central middie/third stopper.........I think we need someone capable in that position to beef up the middle of the field....and I think we have enough strikers to choose from (Yorke, Sealy, John, Scotland, Glen maybe)........
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 03:18:01 PM »
... one of our main problem was in the center defense position. I would not use Lawrence in the center defense, mainly due to the fact that he is not quick enough for this level of the game. I don't know the pace of Sancho, but I assume he is quicker than Lawrence.

Unfortunately, our entire defense is slow compared tuh de opposition. Our fastest defenders are Cyd Gray and Avery. In general, dis is one of de slowest teams we have ever put out. De exceptions are Cornell, Scotland and to some extent Kenwyne Jones. Samuel supposed tuh have blistering pace, but me eh seeing it ahtall.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Coach

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 03:25:04 PM »
So Tallman, you don't think that we can use one of those strikers in defense instead of sitting on the bench? As you know, at this level you need speed. For example, you see what Donovan did to Lawrence in the US game? He just got beaten because of lack of speed, that is why he had to commit the foul.

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 03:35:30 PM »
So Tallman, you don't think that we can use one of those strikers in defense instead of sitting on the bench? 

Overall, our players have not shown themselves to be able to adapt well when played out of their main/preferred position. It takes time, coaching, willingness to learn, a head fuh de game etc. De last player who was able to do this consistently well was Rougier. Currently de players on de team who show this type of versatility or at least de potential are Dwight, Spann and Kenwyne.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

jusme

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 03:38:09 PM »
So Tallman, you don't think that we can use one of those strikers in defense instead of sitting on the bench? As you know, at this level you need speed. For example, you see what Donovan did to Lawrence in the US game? He just got beaten because of lack of speed, that is why he had to commit the foul.

to my eye, I would say that lawrence have more foot speed than Andrews for sure, and also probably Sancho.  Also, Landon Donovan is regarded as a speedy player. 

Definitely in the long term, we need to add a quicker central defender to the mix.  What I gathered from the local forumites was that Atiba was strong and fast and I know that Beenie has said that he considers him a central defender.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2005, 03:39:53 PM »
Out of those names called. Only Jones is capable of playing Defense at this point. It would not be wise to try to use a striker as a defender at this point. These isnt time for that.
What I would prefer to ask is whether or not we have a capable local defender that is quick but has not had the opportunity to be groomed to play international ball.
At this point trying any striker on our team (outside Jones)  to play defense could be suicide. They have enough problems being strikers.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2005, 04:07:23 PM »
Allyuh didnt see how Lawrence manners Wanchope when he did come on or wha?

Even Sancho handle Ruiz decent.  Couple times Ruiz had a step on he and both occasions Sancho recover to take de ball.

Like allyuh want blood wee.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2005, 05:11:53 PM »
Overall, our players have not shown themselves to be able to adapt well when played out of their main/preferred position. It takes time, coaching, willingness to learn, a head fuh de game etc. De last player who was able to do this consistently well was Rougier. Currently de players on de team who show this type of versatility or at least de potential are Dwight, Spann and Kenwyne.

My point exactly. Spann's success at right back is a success but I seeing men talking about playing Edwards at left back in Cr and I am thinking that this is madness.

Atiba look like a centreback against the US, out of place and I remember against Mexico in the semis Sancho look out of place as the left sided centreback/left back when he was our most in form fdefender at the time.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline troy piloy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2005, 07:21:39 PM »
I think we need to play with Sancho and Lawrence in the centre defense for the next game, i like Marvin Andrews he has alot of heart and plays hard but since his injury i find he has been a to slow for the type of strikers he have to play against in CONCACAF. He game now is more suited for the big strong strikers in Scotland like Hartson and them.
My concern for the next game is left back ??? will play there.
Senior Advisor to AWATT's Intelligence Unit

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2005, 07:31:11 PM »
Coach.  Ah ain't agree with yuh claim to have a quick defender to play in de back.  Seems a bit ludicrous.  A center back does not always have to be quick.  I though Lawrence did well to get back to Dog's wayward pass against the US.  Also, they come in pairs, so they both don't have to be quick.  Hypia isn't the quickest of center backs, but he does well in reading the play.  Defending is not just about being quick, it's also about positional sense. 

Offline Coach

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2005, 08:28:13 PM »
Tenorsaw, your points are good but as a defender in crucial game, you will have that one moment that you will need to have the speed, and it can cost you.

Online Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2005, 12:26:23 AM »
Jones is a striker.  In 5 yrs when Stern long gone, who yuh tink will be leadin de front line?

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2005, 06:41:46 AM »
Coach boy, I get the impression u not seeing the games but going on reports and to be honest central defence is the least of our problems (except for the goalkeeping where 1-2-3-4 choices, if they count Tony Warner,are all solid). We hadda sort out left mid, defensive mid, wingbacks, back-up creative midfilder cause latas is 37 and a striker for if Stern 2 goals was a flux and not him getting back his form.

In the back we have Dog, Lawrence, Sancho, Cox, Anton Pierre, Avery John could play there as welll..and none of them have done a bad job there for us yet. Anton Pierre play good in every game he get, and we score from 2 free kicks thru him but it is understandable that he gets to be last choice by name and reputation. Dog has been the only one to make mistakes for the entire campaign. Lawrence is yet to put a foot wrong.That red card was Dog fault, and Lawrence had no choice. it was a professional foul.Avery looks much better in the centre but we need him on the left, despite his game being more suited to being a man-marker in the middle of the back 4. Cox  hasn't gotten much time but he has done nothing good nor bad really to leave an impression either way, but he has the experience. And Sancho is a class defender who reads the game better than the rest of them.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2005, 07:26:08 AM »
we need SMART players in the center over fast players if we could get both then icing.  nuff snails play centre in their time.  need men who could READ the play organise the team and be composed, disciplined and maintain possesion. blanc , ruggerri(argentina), butcher(england), stam all them was slow but smart composed players who could read the game.  Right now in TT none of our defenders fit that mold.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2005, 08:08:15 AM »
Spidey...ah have to make an confession..
ah never comfortable with Dog....he does gimme everything, and has given meh plenty service, an ah will support him for it...buh ah never comfortable with him...especially when the opposing players get to face him...I does real panic...it does be like, he not even sure what to do, and by the time he decide, it often too late...
When he ketch dem same players back to goal, and recieving pass in the air...dey dead. But once dey get to have him backing up...is like is ah body out dey, not ah national player...he does cause man to take licks too....I does get nervous, more than with anybody else...
Mind you, ah always felt that way...but he has his strengths(air), and ah figure the coaches an knowledgable fans - who see him more regular than me - know better....plus the dedication, and effort hard to beat..ah love him for dat.... buh Pressure !
if yuh look at any of the goals whey he backin up, since Pavon & Sauzo run by he, I feelin so..Is like Dog does be dey, buh not dey....even Look at Guat 2nd goal...he dey, buh like he not dey...He could play, and he good...and ah cyar tell yuh ah alternative ah comfortable with, cause ah never see much others mixes, as he always dey...buh dat is meh true true feelings...with dat being said, ah still fraid to put him on the bench, and we get string up, then ah go end up cussin myself for asking for that...

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2005, 12:00:17 PM »
if is one ting de dog could do is head that ball.  lord fadder is like he heading de devil out de park.  he even on the bbc givin a tutorial about what else..."headin de ball as a defender" (check out how the lil white boys watchin him in awe.

http://newssearch.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/hi/sa/football/video_masterclasses/default.stm

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2005, 04:08:41 PM »
POM POM.. i dont start my classes aredy
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
KENWEYNE J FOR DEFENSE
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 11:20:15 AM »
after some powerfull long range clearances while defending against corners in the last game at the HCS i say we are better off with kenweyne in the left back position and carlos in the right back position

any thoughts?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: KENWEYNE J FOR DEFENSE
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 11:21:38 AM »
after some powerfull long range clearances while defending against corners in the last game at the HCS i say we are better off with kenweyne in the left back position and carlos in the right back position

any thoughts?

Carlos in the right back position sure...

Kenwyne in the left back position is as "good" a suggestion as Dwight Yorke as central defender.  ::)

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 11:22:16 AM »
Play him Centre Midfield in place of Yorke.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2009, 11:23:50 AM »
on wednesday, KJ eh jump to win any balls, neither did he stick his foot into any 50/50 tackle. He seem to be brakesing a lot.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 11:25:46 AM »
Kenwenye started life in defense, he certainly nto getting fed from the midfeild nor is his work rate up front any better, can come forward fo rcorners and set pieces, and somebody give keon daniel a shot of adrenaline

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 11:27:49 AM »
Kenwenye started life in defense, he certainly nto getting fed from the midfeild nor is his work rate up front any better, can come forward fo rcorners and set pieces, and somebody give keon daniel a shot of adrenaline

Wha games u watchin sah?

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2009, 11:37:50 AM »
KJ rightful place is on the bench...

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2009, 11:40:32 AM »

Wha games u watchin sah?

all he's produced nada but them defensive work, nada yes glen shoulda square to him on wed but that doh cut it, yes he's talented but we have to have a team that works for us not as an individual

maybe we need to get him waaaaaaay better service

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2009, 11:42:12 AM »
KJ rightful place is on the bench...

:rotfl: :rotfl:

I shoulda expect this but ah never see it coming... juice all over the facking desk
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2009, 12:18:53 PM »
KJ right back is what ive been saying all along. Makes sense. No more Spann as well.
Hart for president

1]; } ?>