April 28, 2024, 12:44:16 PM

Author Topic: Honduras make solid start in World Cup Qualifying  (Read 2200 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Honduras make solid start in World Cup Qualifying
« on: June 06, 2008, 01:25:35 PM »
HONDURAS 4 PUERT0 RICO 0
http://youtube.com/watch?v=R5-IY4pcHuI

Honduras make solid start in World Cup Qualifying
Concacaf

Honduras defeated Puerto Rico 4:0 in their first leg of the second stage World Cup Qualifying encounter. On a slippery surface, after a day of torrential rain in San Pedro Sula, the home team took 25 minutes to break the deadlock thanks to a long distance strike from Julio Cesar de Leon.

Wilson Palacios, who plies his trade for Wigan Athletic in the English Premier League, doubled the Catrachos’ lead four minutes into the second half and star Inter Milan striker David Suazo made it 3:0 just a minute later. Puerto Rico’s Marco Velez was sent off with seven minutes to go before Suazo added his second and a fourth for Honduras with time fast running out.

Before the game Honduran defender Sergio Mendoza had cautioned his team not to underestimate Puerto Rico, a team full of confidence and unbeaten this year coming into the game, and so it proved with a solid performance in difficult conditions. For Honduras, the win extends their unbeaten streak to eight games.

Los Catrachos will now take a formidable lead to San Juan, Puerto Rico for the second leg on June 14 where the Boricuas will have the proverbial mountain to climb to claw their way back into the tie.

2008 WORLD CUP QUALIFYING

San Pedro Sula; HONDURAS; Estadio Olimpico

04:06: HONDURAS – PUERTO RICO 4:0 (1:0)

Cesar Julio DE LEON 25’ – Wilson PALACIOS 51’ – David SUAZO 52’ – David SUAZO 90’+

HON: 2-Osman Chavez (79: Ivan Guerrero) – 3-Maynor Piqueroa – 5-Victor Bervardez – 6-Sergio Mendoza – 7-Amado Guevara (88: Thomas Hendry) – 8-Wilson Palacios – 9-David Suazo – 10-Julio Cesar De Leon – 13-Carlo Costly (68: Walter Martinez) – 17-Danilo Turcios – 18-Noel Valladares. Booked: De Leon 25’

TD: Reinaldo Rueda

PR: 1-Terence Boss – 3-Christopher Gores – 4-Marco V้lez – 5-Noah Delgado – 6-Alexis Rivera – 7-Gadiel Figueroa – 9-Chistopher Megaloudis (80: Michael Caro) – 10-Petter Villegas (71: Carlos Astondoa) – 12-Scott Horta – 17-Andr้s Cabrero (87: Josh Villalobos) – 22-Steven Ehricks. Booked: Rivera 29’, V้lez 50’, Delgado 50’, Sent off: V้lez 84’

TD: Colin Clarke

R: Courtney Campbell
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 01:27:15 PM by Trini _2010 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline loyalist

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Honduras make solid start in World Cup Qualifying
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 02:31:09 PM »
Palacios, Suazo....huh...poison.....

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 03:00:13 PM »
okay, wait like I was sleeping ...but when did PR qualify for world cup?? Are they in Concacaf?
enlighten me please??

Offline loyalist

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 03:16:14 PM »
okay, wait like I was sleeping ...but when did PR qualify for world cup?? Are they in Concacaf?
enlighten me please??
they had to pay dominican republic in a home and away first round qualifier......the game was reduced to one match as dominican republic dont have a fifa approved stadium...the game ended in favor of Puerto Rico..i believe it was 1-0..th winner of that game advanced to play honduras....

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 03:18:09 PM »
Yeah but Puerto Rico = USA...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 03:48:16 PM »
I want 2 c TNT make solid start in WCQ
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 05:47:27 PM »
enlighten me please??

They've been in Concacaf since before the Strike Squad was around...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

1]; } ?>