April 19, 2024, 07:47:50 AM

Author Topic: Torres: Premiership Defenders Are Dodgy!  (Read 3500 times)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Torres: Premiership Defenders Are Dodgy!
« on: June 06, 2008, 06:03:49 PM »
Spanish super-striker Fernando Torres has risked becoming public enemy number one amongst opponents next season by publicly ridiculing the ability of Premiership keepers and defenders. He also raised eyebrows by suggesting that Chelsea stars Petr Cech and Ricardo Carvalho are two of the only people in England's top division who really know how to keep the ball out of the net.

The 24-year-old will go into Euro 2008 sky-high in confidence after having scored a remarkable 24 league goals in his maiden season for Liverpool, though he has himself suggested that the tally would not be as high in a more defensively astute league.

“In England the keepers usually come out too soon and try to go one on one with you," he revealed.

“The only exceptions are Edwin Van der Sar and Petr Cech, who hold and hold and try to keep themselves ‘big’ as you close in on them.

“That’s why, against Manchester United and Chelsea, I try to hit the ball early.

“The rest of the Premier keepers tend to come out at you and throw themselves down at the ball too quickly.

“In general, that’s the reason so many goals in England are scored when a striker dribbles right or left and the keeper goes down at his feet. But if you anticipate what’s coming, it’s easier to score," he added.

“The central defenders are usually big, strong, aggressive lads. I guess it is probably because of these characteristics that the majority think they can solve problems by getting tough with me.

“But the truth is most of them lack defensive positioning as a result of their reliance on strength and aggression and leave so much space for you to take advantage of.”

Torres went on to share credit with an unusual ally in his battle of wits against Premiership defenders and keepers while also giving plaudits to one of Liverpool's unsung heroes.

“We’ve a Spanish goalkeeping coach and he has been a genius at telling me every week exactly what kind of task lies in front of me in the following match.

“Nobody has ever worked with me like this before. It’s outstanding. Basically, I know days before the next game exactly the best way to finish a chance against the keeper I’m about to face.

“Xavi Valero tells me precisely what each keeper tends to do — stay big, go down early, if they have a preferred side they try to push you to. It’s vital information. I’ve refined the way I take chances as a result.

“This Liverpool side also works its socks off for me. Dirk Kuyt, for example, is spectacular in how cleverly and how hard he works to make sure I get top-quality possession near goal.

"He does his own work and mine too! I reckon I’ve probably run half a kilometre less than normal when chances drop for me at Liverpool, because some of the guys behind me do so much running and chasing.

"I get fewer chances at Liverpool than at other times in my career but they are always better chances.”

Finally, the ex Atletico Madrid prodigy admitted that there is one Premiership defender that he doesn't fancy coming across.

He said: “Terry is captain so gets a much higher profile. But he’s only secondary to Carvalho. Ricky is superb. He has every quality that is needed.”

http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=723987

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Torres: Premiership Defenders Are Dodgy!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 07:23:13 PM »
Spanish super-striker Fernando Torres has risked becoming public enemy number one amongst opponents next season by publicly ridiculing the ability of Premiership keepers and defenders.

Where did he do this?

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 07:27:46 PM »
Spanish super-striker Fernando Torres has risked becoming public enemy number one amongst opponents next season by publicly ridiculing the ability of Premiership keepers and defenders.

Where did he do this?

thank you pardnah. i thought i forgot how to read for a second there

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 10:57:02 PM »

Where did he do this?

Lol...I think the writer might be harboring some anti-Liverpool sentiments or something, he real trying tuh set Torres up.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 11:50:19 PM »

Where did he do this?

Lol...I think the writer might be harboring some anti-Liverpool sentiments or something, he real trying tuh set Torres up.
steups! I think pardners trying real hard to get noticed. If he eh careful he (the writer) might make heself public enemy no. 1.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 03:39:53 AM »
As a general rule, goal.com articles should not be allowed on these or any boards. That first paragraph is just rubbish  :beermug:

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 12:26:38 PM »
stueps....them just trying to stir up drama.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Giggsy's Chestwig

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 03:37:42 PM »
That article is clearly a work of fiction.

He couldn't hit a cows arse in Liverpools two games against United last season.

giggsy11

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 07:13:26 PM »
Lets wait and see if teams make the adjustments against him next season and how he responds.  lets also see if he can actually score more goals on the road or even repeat/improve on this season.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 06:45:57 PM »
Didn't realise Fernando Torres played in the 2001 under 17 WC in T&T.

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 07:18:49 PM »
Didn't realise Fernando Torres played in the 2001 under 17 WC in T&T.

Yep I remember I went to see a double in the Ato Boldon stadium with Spain vs Oman and Argentina vs Burkina Faso - looking back now, real big players was there - Torres, Tevez, Zabaleta, Maxi Lopez (who was real hyped up then).

Offline PIMP

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 07:26:55 PM »
Diego from brazil and iniesta for Spain as well....

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 11:18:13 PM »
Torres scored 2 headers for spain to open up their account.  Tevez was their too.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 11:23:25 PM »
He said: “Terry is captain so gets a much higher profile. But he’s only secondary to Carvalho. Ricky is superb. He has every quality that is needed.”

The sources of this article may be suspect but I am in agreement with these statements...

Offline christiano

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 08:35:54 AM »
Diego from brazil and iniesta for Spain as well....

Vebda from france
Wilfred Sanu for Burkina faso

Were also in T&T.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 09:52:15 AM »
But the two stars of the under 17 tournament were the French duo...Sinama Pongolle and Anthony Le Tellec.

Wonder what they doing now?

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 10:23:52 AM »
But the two stars of the under 17 tournament were the French duo...Sinama Pongolle and Anthony Le Tellec.

After short spells at Liverpool, they've both bounced around...I think Le Tellec was a Liverpool player on loan up until 2 years ago...Pongolle has featured at higher profile clubs including Atletico Madrid where he had a decent spell...He just got traded in the January window to Sporting Club in Portugal for a decent fee...6/7M pounds- not too shabby- he was even capped once by the senior nat'l team....

Le Tellec plays for Le Mans in the French league- was initially there on a loan deal which eventually went permanent and featured for the French U21 side a few years back.  I think he even had a small pips at Sunderland too...

Long story short, they still around doing their thing in the European "top" flight...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 11:34:01 AM »

Gerard Houllier and Rafa happened to them...striker killas!
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

1]; } ?>