April 24, 2024, 06:39:44 PM

Author Topic: Yorke lambasts 'poor' Kenwyne  (Read 6996 times)

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
  • Intercol Champion 94' w/ Princes Town
    • View Profile
Yorke lambasts 'poor' Kenwyne
« on: June 08, 2008, 07:49:05 AM »
http://www.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/06/08/Prem-Yorke-slates-Jones/?facets/sport-space/football/great-britain-locale/

Dwight Yorke has launched a staggering attack on Sunderland colleague and compatriot Kenwyne Jones, insisting his goal return simply ‘isn’t good enough’.
Jones has been linked to some big-money moves since signing for Sunderland in a £6 million deal, with the likes of Liverpool said to be interested in his services.

However, after an impressive start to life in The Premier League Jones’ form soon dipped and he scored just seven goals all season.

Yorke insists Jones should be far from proud of that statistic, and he believes any comparisons to Didier Drogba are currently ridiculous. 

“People have talked about him being the new Didier Drogba but you don’t earn that type of reputation after one season in The Premier League and you’ve scored only seven goals,” Yorke said in the Star on Sunday.

“Seven goals isn’t good enough. Drogba scores 20-plus goals every season and that is what Kenwyne has to do.

“Until he starts doing that he shouldn’t start getting carried away with himself."

“Seven goals is an extremely poor season and if you are talking about a top striker and someone fulfilling obvious potential, and you have people around him ranting and raving about him, he needs to do a lot better.”

« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 07:51:56 AM by SOBRIQUET »
...with Blacksmith, Dogfoot, Jurawan and dem

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: Yorke lambasts 'poor' Kenwyne
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 08:09:17 AM »
This article is consistent with what he said to TV6 last week about him keeping his feet on the ground.

Offline Giggsy's Chestwig

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 08:19:44 AM »
I agree with all of that.

You can't compare Jones with Drogba. Drogba will get you thirty goals a season and has proven himself at international level against some quality sides and also done it in the Champions League.

Drogba is one of the top 5 strikers in the world and pretty ruthless in front of goal, regardless of his arrogant attitude and questionable antics on the field.

Jones is far from the complete target man. He has the potential but its up to him.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 09:05:44 AM »
I agree with Dwight that Kenwyne ain't reach yet, but I want to see where anybody say he was comparable to Drogba. I see lots of people say he has the potential to get there. So why people comparing him now to Drogba now?

My wild speculation is that, behind the scenes, Dwight see KJ starting to get a little swell-headed, and decide to calm him down a little.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 09:07:36 AM by Dry So »

Offline kiffysmooth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 09:52:19 AM »
Ah jes hope de Kenwyn boy understand dat dis is all constructive criticism from ah man who has made his name already....sometimes de youngsters does feel men trying to fight dem dong, but if he listen carefully he will see dat it is in his best interest

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 10:06:18 AM »
From all his interviews, I haven't gotten the impression that Kenwyne has been getting carried away with himself, and he's given 100% on the field at all times.

Its good that Yorke is there to keep him in check if he does.

The comments fall way short of a 'lambast' as the title suggests.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 10:50:41 AM »
What is this thing about poor Kenwyne,the world of Football is ruthless the same people that play you up is the same ones that will play you down.I don't think any where Kenwyne has compared himself with Drogba or anything like that,as a matter of fact he shys away from bigging up himself, but i've heard posters on here comparing him to Drogba on several occasions and Liverpool eyeing him.

If any one else besides Yorke had said these things about Kenwyne is would have been taken with a grain of salt by many on here,but it's Yorke and i hope it's advice he is giving because what he is saying is hitting the nail on the head,i've always had the thoughts that Yorke has about Kenwyne but then again you got to be carefull what you say.

Offline TriniItalian

• Sr. Warrior
  • Never Wait to Procrastinate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 11:04:54 AM »
On Fox Sports they compare him to Drogba after he had score that goal where he was on the top right side of the box cut right making a 360 to lose the marker and shoot near post and score.
A.W.A.T.T. INFORMANT

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 11:07:23 AM »
Wait.  Yuh mean Yorkie eh a hater or a wet blanket fuh mekkin dem comments?  :o :o ;D
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 11:09:55 AM »
Wait.  Yuh mean Yorkie eh a hater or a wet blanket fuh mekkin dem comments?  :o :o ;D

LOL.. look how you pushing ting nah man.!
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 11:14:27 AM »
Could be a case of ENVY - who knows- Kj comes across as humble. Maybe Yorke knows something that we dont know. For Trinidad sake let us hope KJ produces the goals when it matters. Yorke surely did not for T&T.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 11:17:42 AM »
Could be a case of ENVY - who knows- Kj comes across as humble. Maybe Yorke knows something that we dont know. For Trinidad sake let us hope KJ produces the goals when it matters. Yorke surely did not for T&T.

ENVY yuh say boss?

Ah guess anyting possible but dah one kinda far fetched.  Oddah dan he youth and perhaps he family, me eh know wha Yorkie could possibly envy bout Kenwyne.

Sound more like "tough love' to me but daz jes me.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 11:21:29 AM »
Bam Bam.....besides which KJ knows his roots and knows where his journey began. Its a pity Yorke realised so late in his football life.

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 11:24:50 AM »

ENVY yuh say boss?

Ah guess anyting possible but dah one kinda far fetched.  Oddah dan he youth and perhaps he family, me eh know wha Yorkie could possibly envy bout Kenwyne.

Try the limelight he has lost and KJ's willingness to appear in national colors at anyl cost. Something we cannot attribute to DW.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 11:39:36 AM »

:rotfl:  good one..

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2008, 11:40:36 AM »
Knowing Dwight, what he saying in public he already spoke to KJ about. No big thing, KJ is a pro he has to accept what was said.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 11:53:25 AM »
Knowing Dwight, what he saying in public he already spoke to KJ about. No big thing, KJ is a pro he has to accept what was said.
Observer I have the same feeling..am sure Dwight spoke to KJ bout this b4 making these public comments

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 11:57:34 AM »
Bam Bam.....besides which KJ knows his roots and knows where his journey began. Its a pity Yorke realised so late in his football life.

Nah man!
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 12:20:28 PM »

Skysports
Jones: I need to improve
Yorke attacks team-mate's record
Sunderland striker Kenwyne Jones admits he still has a lot of improvements to make after coming in for criticism from team-mate Dwight Yorke.

Jones is highly-rated by Black Cats boss Roy Keane with the player reportedly attracting interest from Liverpool and earning comparisons to Chelsea star Didier Drogba

But Yorke has launched a shock attack on his Black Cats pal saying the striker's goal return last season was not good enough.

Former Manchester United and Aston Villa hit-man Yorke believes Jones is still far from the finished article and says that the ex-Southampton man will have to improve if he wants to live up to the hype surrounding him.

Attack

"People have talked about him being the new Didier Drogba but you don't earn that type of reputation after one season in the Premier League and you've scored only seven goals," Yorke told the Daily Star on Sunday.
"Seven goals isn't good enough. Drogba scores 20-plus goals every season and that is what Kenwyne has to do.

"Until he starts doing that he shouldn't start getting carried away with himself.

"Seven goals is an extremely poor season and if you are talking about a top striker and someone fulfilling obvious potential, and you have people around him ranting and raving about him, he needs to do a lot better."

Jones agrees with Yorke that there a lot of aspects of his game he needs to improve and he says he is flattered to be linked with a move to the likes of Liverpool.

"It was a wonderful season for me and the club as we defied the odds a bit," noted Jones.

"The Drogba comparison was one I heard every week, and it's nice to be mentioned with someone like that, but I have to forge my own way.

Flattering

"There have been links with a lot of people. It's good that others are taking notice of what I am doing.
"No-one has their career in their own hands. It's more like destiny.

"But I can speak to someone like Dwight on how to handle things on and off the pitch and I believe I need to improve every part of my game.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3665314,00.html

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2008, 12:24:27 PM »
settled?
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2008, 12:29:49 PM »

Offline Giggsy's Chestwig

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2008, 12:30:59 PM »
Could be a case of ENVY

I don't think so.

Yorke is a former Champions League winner and has proven himself at the highest level, so he knows what he's talking about.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2008, 12:44:46 PM »

English press blowing things out of proportion again...the message is as much for them to cool the hyp as it is to KJ not to get carried away with it.
But oh gorm Dwight the man go be out for months with this injury yuh real cold boy....unless they quoting from before the news of extent of the injury came out.

giggsy11

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2008, 01:19:10 PM »

English press blowing things out of proportion again...the message is as much for them to cool the hyp as it is to KJ not to get carried away with it.
But oh gorm Dwight the man go be out for months with this injury yuh real cold boy....unless they quoting from before the news of extent of the injury came out.

I agree the English blowing things out of proportion. They all about misleading headlines!

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2008, 01:45:41 PM »
How about Sunderland doesn't provide the kind of service Dwight saw at Man Utd so he shouldn't talk. How many goals you think Dwight would score if he was in his prime playing on this shite squad?

Not much more than 7 I would say. How many goals did he score for Blackburn again? Right, and they were a mid table team.

Kenwyne would be a double digit scorer on any team that could provide any kind of help.
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2008, 01:55:05 PM »
i agree with Yorkie.  We have to stop overrating Jones and putting all that pressure on him.  True he's our best promising footballer now, but thats because we dont have any other top class young footballers out now due to the TTFF poor production of young talent.  How much goals have Kenwyne actually scored for Trinidad?

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2008, 02:01:45 PM »
How about Sunderland doesn't provide the kind of service Dwight saw at Man Utd so he shouldn't talk. How many goals you think Dwight would score if he was in his prime playing on this shite squad?

Not much more than 7 I would say. How many goals did he score for Blackburn again? Right, and they were a mid table team.

Kenwyne would be a double digit scorer on any team that could provide any kind of help.

Do u know that Dwight has 127 premiership goals and less than 50 of them came at manchester utd?

Check Yorke's stats before u talk...............
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2008, 02:03:54 PM »
Lambast lil strong
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2008, 02:04:04 PM »

Yorke was scoring goals for a shitown  Aston Villa.  so doh forget that

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2008, 02:39:17 PM »
Didn't realize that Aston Villa was in their first season following promotion.

Oh yeah they weren't.

So try and put things in perspective before you talk. And I eh forget anything boss.

Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

1]; } ?>